• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THUMPER is pretty much a perfect game

Neiteio

It's a shame the switch version couldn't handle chromatic aberration and motion blur, seems like it really suits the artstyle:

eevc.jpg
Those effects are disabled in VR.

Switch gets an extra shader and HD Rumble. Fair trade!

A-V-B

Is it weird that as soon as I saw a new Thumper thread, my instinct was "oh it must be on sale on Steam"

what the fuck

it is

WHO DOES NUMBER TWO WORK FOR?!?!

robotrock

Banned
Those effects are disabled in VR.

Switch gets an extra shader and HD Rumble. Fair trade!

yeah. plus with how intense this game is and how fast it goes, i doubt you'll ever have a chance to think "Damn, I sure need some chromatic aberration and motion blur right now" while playing

Neiteio

Is it weird that as soon as I saw a new Thumper thread, my instinct was "oh it must be on sale on Steam"

what the fuck

it is

I work for an Illuminati-like PR firm that's secretly used by every gamemaker on the planet, indies included

PudieRSC

So this thread is the first I'm seeing of this game, and I watched some gameplay but also didn't want to spoil it.

How the hell does this thing actually play? It just looks like you're constantly moving down a straight line. I'm so confused.

robotrock

Banned
So this thread is the first I'm seeing of this game, and I watched some gameplay but also didn't want to spoil it.

How the hell does this thing actually play? It just looks like you're constantly moving down a straight line. I'm so confused.

Thats this game. have you played a game like guitar hero or rockband before? you're just going down the line and either hitting up, down, left, right, or the x button.

Ooh, that's an awesome fix to the FOV problem some people have with 2D mode on PS4. That position and angle on Switch is closer to the VR camera which lets you read several beats ahead.
Thumper would have been so much better if it just used the Persona soundtrack
Though I'd be interested in a separate campaign that covered different types of music, the soundtrack is soooooo perfect for the artistic display and overall vibe the game presents. Spoiler(?): The final segments of the final level have some, uh, "experimental" stuff and dabbles in different time signatures a little. It's harder than you'd think to adjust to after being familiar with the rest. Fantastic challenge. For a games that uses nothing but a D-pad and 1 button it's astonishingly deep.
Thumper is great but saying stuff like this is super eye rolling
This has been responded to many times already, but I wanted to add a +1 to "yes, it's actually that freaking awesome and you should feel bad."
I really want to try this out but it looks confusing. Are there actual prompts as to what buttons to hit?
One button only! Never fear!

Neiteio

I'll attempt to explain, but only with this caveat: You really have to try it to understand the appeal. Also note: The game gradually rolls out mechanics and explains them well.

So you're a space beetle hurtling along a silver track. A number of course elements will come your way. I will give some examples, but it's not comprehensive:

- Glowing panels. When these pass by you, hit A to "thump" them. You can safely pass over them without thumping; however, you score points by thumping. And, during boss battles, you have to hit all of them in a row and then hit the boss's charge shot (a bright green light coming down the track) to repel the shot back down the track at the boss.

- Orange lines of light. These are horizontal on the track. As these come down the track, you need to hold A to break through. There are often many in a row, with panels in between, so you'll have to alternate between tapping and holding. If you hit one without holding, you'll take damage.

- Spike traps. Resemble pink spikes. You need to tap forward and hold A to fly over them. If you hit them, you'll take damage. You can also fly off glowing panels to reach optional rings over the track. Also, when there's a panel at the end, you can pull back on the stick to SLAM down. This will expel a beam of light that will break a boss's shield, at which point you can hit them with a counterattack. Can also be used on glowing panels for more points.

- Walls. These pop up at corners and have red flashing lights. Some are long, some are short. You hold in the direction you wish to turn while holding A during the turn. You can start holding A and turning early, before you reach the wall, but it appears that for the most points, you need to do it right upon reaching the wall. If you hit a wall, you'll take damage.

There are more mechanics beyond these. In World 4 they start adding multiple rails — you may find yourself shifting between five of them at a time, dodging incoming enemies such as silver centipedes that come hurtling down the track.

If you take damage once, your beetle loses its chrome armor. Take damage again, and it's back to the beginning of the stage. You can get back your chrome armor by thumping certain blue panels, such as the ones that always appear at the end of each stage.

It doesn't sound like much on paper. But in practice, it's incredible.

Thumper would have been so much better if it just used the Persona soundtrack

A low stakes, totally mellowed-out Thumper: Take Your Time Edition actually sounds somewhat appealing in a weird way. Wouldn't take it over these high-speed thrills, though.

Side note, I knew the shockwave effect when attacking a boss or landing a slam combo reminded me of something...SSX 2012 has a similar effect when landing a massive trick that warps the surrounding landscape. Guess that type of feedback really does it for me.

If you take damage once, your beetle loses its chrome armor. Take damage again, and it's back to the beginning of the stage. You can get back your chrome armor by thumping certain blue panels, such as the ones that always appear at the end of each stage.

Slamming a panel sends a shockwave up the track that sometimes (always?) charges a future panel and makes it restore health. Very handy.

Geg

HD rumble really adds a lot to the experience. Surely not as immersive as VR but it makes it easy to get sucked in every time I play

I just beat level 8 and I'm not sure if I'm ready for level 9 lol

Slamming a panel sends a shockwave up the track that sometimes (always?) charges a future panel and makes it restore health. Very handy.
It'll do that if you have a 2x multiplier or higher.

Legitimately the worst opinion I've heard in a long time. Wow.
Meh, I don't agree with "better," but my literal only complaint about this game is that I wish there were multiple campaigns and musical variety. Could be interesting. Would want a different color palette, though. And missed this in the OP--
And my favorite: Regurgitating an incoming attack, sending it shitting down the track — down a centipede's body, to the fang-filled maw from whence it came, like a colossal sucker punch to the Devil himself.
Getting a boss killshot on a reflect is one of the most incredibly satisfying gaming experiences I've had in years.

Neiteio

Getting a boss killshot on a reflect is one of the most incredibly satisfying gaming experiences I've had in years.
Yep, those boss kill-shots are SUPER satisfying — especially when you struggled so long to reach the point where you finally had the chance to counterattack

Seik

Banned
Started the download with my PS Gold headset plugged on the Switch.

Will crank the volume to the max in the option menu and off I go.

It does my heart good to see you saw the advice about turning up the in-game music. :-D

Not sure why it's set so low to begin with. Maxed out it matches the Switch's master volume well enough. Think I might have turned the Switch's volume down one notch from where it was previously.

Neiteio

Not sure why it's set so low to begin with. Maxed out it matches the Switch's master volume well enough. Think I might have turned the Switch's volume down one notch from where it was previously.
This is unrelated, but I just realized what would actually make Thumper better, and I suspect you'll appreciate this:

Random quotes from Metal Gear Rising, during boss battles.

Like imagine if when the giant head rises up: "MAGNETIC FORCE, JACK! NATURE'S FORCE!"

Despera

Banned
This music was mediocre at best.
Voez has way better music
I would compare Rayark's rhythm games to DJMAX Technika or maybe a Bemani style game or even Amplitude, but Thumper? That's a weird comparison.

The way the game is designed I don't think any of the traditional pop songs would've worked. The soundtrack forms a single mesh with the level design instead of being a bunch of random songs that happen to be what the devs chose to include in the game. And the devs calling it rhythm violence is pretty accurate, the soundtrack would fit perfectly in a action/horror title lol.

Neiteio

I would compare Rayark's rhtyhm games to DJMAX Technika or maybe a Bemani style game or even Amplitude, but Thumper? That's a weird comparison.

The way the game is designed I don't think any of the traditional pop songs would've worked. The soundtrack forms a single mesh with the level design instead of being a random song that happens to be what the devs chose to include in the game. And the devs calling it rhythm violence is pretty accurate, the soundtrack would fit perfectly in a action/horror title lol.
Exactly. The soundtrack exists to instruct your actions but also to add OOMPH! to them. The music isn't meant to be the star itself. The music enhances the atmosphere, the speed, the sense of impact.

Part of me thinks that, between the visuals and HD Rumble, Thumper would hold up decently even with the sound down.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill

what the fuck

it is

I would compare Rayark's rhythm games to DJMAX Technika or maybe a Bemani style game or even Amplitude, but Thumper? That's a weird comparison.

The way the game is designed I don't think any of the traditional pop songs would've worked. The soundtrack forms a single mesh with the level design instead of being a random song that happens to be what the devs chose to include in the game. And the devs calling it rhythm violence is pretty accurate, the soundtrack would fit perfectly in a action/horror title lol.

The only two music games om the nintenfo switch.
That's my reason ;)

Played the game on pc thought the music was mediocre.
I really play music rythm games for their ost.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The music gets better the better you play, because your actions add elements. For example, flying to hit rings and subsequently slamming the panel is wholly optional but racks up combo multipliers -and- sounds cool.

But ultimately, the music in Thumper is more a supplement to the gameplay and atmosphere than an attraction in itself.
This sounds like a Bit.Trip game. And that's awesome.

MrS

Banned
Neiteio should replace Reggie at this point. He's better at hyping games up than Reggie lol
If he was that good he'd have made this thread when the game launched on PS4 and PC last year.

I agree with the sentiments though. The game is sublime.

Seik

Banned
Just finished Level 1.

:O !!!!

This is a REZ like experience, man I'll have to try this on my friend's VR headset one day.

Had to turn rumble off since I'm in bed and the GF is sleeping, will definitely try it out tomorrow on the TV with the Pro Controller for the full HD thing.

Dremorak

Banned
While I liked the game a lot, without VR I can't imagine it being anything more than really good.

Especially on a small screen (even if the screen looks great). It's a game that you really feel, and VR helps that a lot.

I've been playing 90% on a 50 inch screen so not a small screen at all :D

nynt9

No, but asserting you *haven't* played a game because you don't own an expensive VR headset is stupid af

Any more than asserting you haven't played Shadow of Mordor if you don't own an expensive PS4 instead of the PS3 you have that also plays the game? Reminder that the nemesis system is entirely disabled on previous gen versions.

phanphare

Banned
Any more than asserting you haven't played Shadow of Mordor if you don't own an expensive PS4 instead of the PS3 you have that also plays the game? Reminder that the nemesis system is entirely disabled on previous gen versions.

that's a really bad comparison lol

maybe a better one would be watching the same movie in a regular theater vs. imax or 3d

Just got to demo PSVR yesterday, man is that surprisingly great. I thought the optics would be much worse than Vive, not the case at all.

This game would be intense in VR, definitely a must have experience.

What do you see in the periferals / side's?

Game looks great, but my old eyes just can't keep up with hardly any of it. Like, it's almost impossible for me to discern between lights that indicate my input is needed versus those that are just "pretties." Getting old sucks. :(

Top Bottom