• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 in-store advertising begins in Europe

I can't wait for my GameStop to start taking pre-orders. I'll be there the same hour Sony announces the price and release date, hopefully during E3.

tumblr_inline_mhoxjmcv3C1qz4rgp.gif

There's a 20 Years of Champions League on itv4 right now readying for the final tomorrow night (where Sony are supposed to be advertising the PS4). Anyone watching? Seen any PS4 ads yet?

Mikey Jr.

That is one ugly ass stand.

Also, seems like they are using the Nintendo strategy. Show the controller, so people think the PS4 is just a new controller for your PS3.

Smart.

Trevelyon

This has been discussed before, but that logo screams PS3. There's nothing refreshing about it. I really don't like that they didn't come up with something new. It looks so.....dated.

Agreed, not in love with the existing PS3 font/logo just now with a 4. I wanna hope it's placeholder for something better, something a little more individual to the new console, but the latest glimpse of the hardware we got would suggest its probably locked in.

abic

Banned
Europe is important, but I'll argue Sony needs to start their marketing campaign in the US now in order to make any inroads in the US against MS. I just don't see how Sony can compete against a 60%-65% market share in the US when the vast majority of the consumers will get the XBO regardless.

I actually disagree with this.

Sony marketing the product in the US increases exposure, but that has a minimal or insignificant effect on propensity to buy.

The biggest effect on propensity to buy is recommendations to buy from social entities, be that game portals or friends. That recommendation has to be gained through delivering a compelling product that the target audience, in this case core gamers, will want to buy.

In effect, PS4 needs to first build the image that it is the console you want to get. Positive recommendations from portals like IGN, Giant Bomb; or media like Forbes and New York Times; and most importantly from people like your friends and co workers will affect propensity to buy.

Following that, Sony markets for exposure and they get people who responds to those ads positively.

They are doing ok now, the next big test is E3 and then managing the products the months up to launch.

Chocolate & Vanilla

Fuck Strawberry
No idea if this has been mentioned anywhere (I gave no fucks about looking), but Metro (UK rag) had a full page Ps4 ad "Coming 2013". So Europe 2013 confirmed I guess.

SpaceHobo

Banned
There are 2 game shops in my town ( tiny 75k people) and both have had official PS4 material up for weeks.

Also got an email from ShopTo confirming my place in the queue for my pre order last week.

Mikey Jr.

Doesn't apply here. PS4 shows a clear sequel. And the ads will change after E3.

Everyone knows the PS4 is a new console.

Why? Because PS, PS2, PS3.

People are genuinely not as knowledgeable.

Might have been smart to wait till E3 to start advertising. But then again, they probably want to counter the Xbone pre-orders.

Well, whatever, I'm getting PS4. No question about that.

Maybe it's only a US thing? Not sure. At least here they send you a txt msg for preorder reminders. I just went into the store and asked to be put on the list.

I live in the US. The dudes at my local GameStop signed me up, too. I also signed up by email twice lol. So I'm guessing I should be good? Has GameStop done this before?

EGM1966

People are genuinely not as knowledgeable.

Might have been smart to wait till E3 to start advertising. But then again, they probably want to counter the Xbone pre-orders.

Well, whatever, I'm getting PS4. No question about that.

Nah they're right. People tend to have no problem with clearly established model numbers - Ipad, Ipad2, etc. PS1, PS2, etc.

Part of the reason MS showed the new Xbox is because they have to due to their approach to naming - we're going from Xbox to Xbox 360 to Xbox One so showing the product etc is essentially mandatory as the name/number tells you nothing about whether its the latest model or not.

In a similar vein Nintendo got in trouble the same was going from Wii to Wii U and only showing the controller - it was very easy to think the Wii U was just the gamepad to be added to your Wii in the same way as Wii Fit if you were simply a casual purchaser hence the confusion that followed for Nintendo : i.e. the name itself did not automatically tell you what you needed to know.

PlayStation model number relationship is very clearly established and PlayStation 4 or PS4 tells you all you need to know.

Chittagong

Gold Member
You know what all this blue is making me hope for. This sexy ass box to make its return with the PS4.

XVoMaOL.jpg

This is the very best box in the history of cardboard boxes. Iconic branding, you could see those blue boxes miles away and you could spot people carrying them around the city.

Also, best console logo ever, PS2 and PSP logos were godly iconic.

THE:MILKMAN

I think this is a battle for hearts and minds :p

MS is prompting XBone too and that's fresh in people's minds. So getting these out now during the slower months gets people excited and gives the machines visibility in the run up till launch.

I think I'm just a little surprised because it is the complete opposite of the run up to the PS3 launch. They seem super confident of what they have with PS4.

I just worry if there is a catch. Be that anti-consumer practices, high price or delayed launch. I hope at least 2 of those questions are answered at E3 in 2.5 weeks.

Agreed, not in love with the existing PS3 font/logo just now with a 4. I wanna hope it's placeholder for something better, something a little more individual to the new console, but the latest glimpse of the hardware we got would suggest its probably locked in.

I hope to god it's a placeholder. But sadly i doubt it.

This is the very best box in the history of cardboard boxes. Iconic branding, you could see those blue boxes miles away and you could spot people carrying them around the city.

Also, best console logo ever, PS2 and PSP logos were godly iconic .

This is why it's good to design new logos for your product. They're apart the perception of the brand too. Not just the console and games. :)

Portugeezer

Champions League Final tomorrow.

We already know Sony is going to be advertising PS4. Wonder if it will be a teaser or a full blown ad?

SpaceHobo

Banned
You guys are already able to pre-order the PS4 over there?

Game are taking pre orders for both consoles with £20 down

Amazon are taking sign-ups

Shopto are taking pre orders with a place holder price but a place in the queue.

So yeah we can pre order.

PDP_top_eSpots_GM_NewXbox.jpg

The above image is from a front page banner on Game.co.uk

ElRenoRaven

Gold Member
You smell that guys? Do you? Oh wait sorry I farted. Nevermind. Anyway That is so awesome. I really do love the start of a new gen. It's been way way too long. Nice to see Sony being proactive and getting word out there early. Build that hype.

GeoramA

Smart. They could flat out dominate over there if they keep playing their cards right.

Also glad to see I wasn't the only one who was reminded of the PS2.

Shikoro

Did you know the amount of cubes there represented the amount of games you played, and their size represented for how long you played them?

I didn't know that, and that's awesome.

Example of someone with few games:

Ps2+startup.png

Just wanted to say that. :p

Blew my mind when I read it.

Empty

Did you know the amount of cubes there represented the amount of games you played, and their size represented for how long you played them?

I didn't know that, and that's awesome.

Example of someone with few games:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-tZJeW1Ps7hA/TWXWgWpJCnI/AAAAAAAAAIA/VQfpw37-z4Y/s1600/Ps2+startup.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

woah.

Top Bottom