• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Full Throttle Remastered |OT| Whenever I smell asphalt, I think of Maureen...

RAIDEN1

Hence the performance hitches that IGN were talking about I assume these would be ironed out soon enough...at the moment I am just over 80% on completion of Day of the Tentacle which I will take my time on as with Full Throttle, every second counts!!

The question now is when the Asphalt has set, what will Double Fine do from here.....re-masters aside could they bring out another point and click game that combines everything that makes their previous re-masters so highly regarded, and come up with a whole new franchise? Keeping in line with the cartoon-ish/pixel look of the 2 recent games instead of going the Grim Fandango way....would be brilliant!

Justinh

For some reason, the newer images are at a different aspect ratio in these captures. The artwork hasn't changed though, apart from the resolution.
YyWkR3T.png
zVQo3hy.png

I don't think I like the eyes in the Remastered version.

Spoilers! These are screenshots from the end of the game.

http://i.imgur.com/WPKriQy.png - old
http://i.imgur.com/Xi1liol.png - Remastered

Iunno, they just look too "pointy" or something to me.

ubique

I wanted to give a chance to the new look but I like it even less when characters are moving around and talking. I think this is a good remaster for the audio quality alone, real happy with it

Boem

The question now is when the Asphalt has set, what will Double Fine do from here.....re-masters aside could they bring out another point and click game that combines everything that makes their previous re-masters so highly regarded, and come up with a whole new franchise? Keeping in line with the cartoon-ish/pixel look of the 2 recent games instead of going the Grim Fandango way....would be brilliant!

As for new games/sequels to some of the old Lucas games: I definitely don't see Tim writing one of them while they're still working on Psychonauts 2. That will have his full attention until it releases in 2018 (or, if we're being honest, that could easily turn into 2019). I can't see him writing/designing a whole new game at the same time, so that pretty much excludes sequels to the Schafer adventures at least (can't see him letting anyone else write one of them).

I think, if we're going to get more, it's going to be a remake. A less costly investment for Sony/Disney, and Tim has talked about wanting to do more of them a lot - he never really talked about possible sequels as much. That all depends on if Sony and Disney are happy to work with Double Fine again, and if DF is able to get the old creative leads involved (which shouldn't be that much of a problem).

So, for now, maybe more remakes. In the future hopefully new games, but we'll see.

I'm having so much fun with these remasters that I don't want them to stop just yet.

BluWacky

Full Throttle was the only Lucasarts adventure I didn't own until today.

Weirdly, I started singing the guitar riff from the intro to myself before I booted it up with absolutely no idea what I was singing; I must have played the demo more times than is healthy...

Anyway, I'll give it some time at some point - buying it was more about making sure I owned it than actually playing it...

Beat the game like I played it yesterday. I'm only missing one achievement: Burn-In Rubber. The description is "Save your screen from burn-in with 3D animated vehicles." I have no idea how to get this.

Also, Steam has issues with the achievements and screenshots. Won't show up in Friend Activity, and clicking Show All Achievements will take you to your profile.

The Dude

Love it just as much as I did when it first released. I absolutely love seeing these classic adventure games getting awesome remakes and people a chance to reappreciate them.

Would love to eventually see Fate of Atlantis get a nice remake as well

The Dude

Hence the performance hitches that IGN were talking about I assume these would be ironed out soon enough...at the moment I am just over 80% on completion of Day of the Tentacle which I will take my time on as with Full Throttle, every second counts!!

I'd love that. This genre has such a great place in gaming and I been playing them since the 80s, I want more and newer series.

Darktalon

Beat the game like I played it yesterday. I'm only missing one achievement: Burn-In Rubber. The description is "Save your screen from burn-in with 3D animated vehicles." I have no idea how to get this.

Also, Steam has issues with the achievements and screenshots. Won't show up in Friend Activity, and clicking Show All Achievements will take you to your profile.

If you don't move for a while, the game has a screensaver that shows 3D vehicles. Maybe if you watch them it triggers the achievement.

bionic77

This game was really good when it came out.

I wonder how it aged though.

And how does it control on the PS4, regular controls or via the touchpad?

dLMN8R

I vaguely remember playing this as a kid (was 11 when it first came out), and all I know is that I loved it. The details are completely gone.

Happily bought this on Steam just now! Can't wait to revisit it and remember everything I've forgotten :-D

Have to use a guide for some puzzles. I have gotten dumber lol

In retrospect I don't think the puzzles in this game were very good. Too much call for pixel hunting, and too many locations that just look like background and are not obviously accessible.

Plus the lack of on-hover mouse descriptions means that it is very easy to overlook an item if it is too close to another item. Adding that would have made this game a lot better.

Deadstar

There was an interview on Gamespot where Tim was asked if he'd like to work on any other properties. I'd love for Tim to take on The Neverhood remaster but I'm not sure if it can be done since it was all claymation. If they don't have the original files to upres them they shouldn't even attempt it.

Ash735

I want to buy it, I'll probably buy it, but I'm just not a fan of the new art style at all, it looks too upscaled and vectorized and looks lazy in a lot of places. A fan mock up was made a few years back which I guess set the bar high for me:

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

But seeing this one fan mock up retain MORE of the original image AND come out in better quality compared to what we got from the full studio just seems weird.

eLGee

I want to buy it, I'll probably buy it, but I'm just not a fan of the new art style at all, it looks too upscaled and vectorized and looks lazy in a lot of places. A fan mock up was made a few years back which I guess set the bar high for me:

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

But seeing this one fan mock up retain MORE of the original image AND come out in better quality compared to what we got from the full studio just seems weird.

It's one thing remastering a single frame from the game and make it look amazing, it's another altogether to make the complete game look that way. The remaster team at DF was not big by any means, and I think that they got pretty close to this mockup still. You just can't please everyone, I guess.

jett

D-Member

FT08_zps82ab635b.png

YWQP3oY.jpg

NE6vnUY.jpg

Looks fine to me, very faithful to the original.

It's one thing remastering a single frame from the game and make it look amazing, it's another altogether to make the complete game look that way. The remaster team at DF was not big by any means, and I think that they got pretty close to this mockup still. You just can't please everyone, I guess.

Indeed. Comparing a piece of fan art to an entire game is kinda silly.

Ash735

That screenshot just proves my point :p If you can't see the detail loss between Original and this remake then you're not being a good enough judge to say it looks "fine".

Man, some of you people are picky. This game was one of THE games that really got me into gaming. Despite that I had pretty much forgotten about it until I heard it was being remastered.

Here it is 20 some years later and I can now easily play the game again. If you don't like the updated graphics just play it in the "retro" mode. The remastered isnt going to be exact and it's not going to be perfect, but for what it is it's damn good.

In retrospect I don't think the puzzles in this game were very good. Too much call for pixel hunting, and too many locations that just look like background and are not obviously accessible.

Plus the lack of on-hover mouse descriptions means that it is very easy to overlook an item if it is too close to another item. Adding that would have made this game a lot better.
After playing and beating it for the first time today gonna have to agree with this. A good chunk of the puzzles were just straight up bad and obtuse.

I've gotten used to crappy puzzles in 90's adventure games that aren't Sierra tier bullshit, but playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered really surprised me because that game had honestly really good puzzles, they gave you sufficient context and the majority made sense. I only had to use a guide at the end of the game and that was it. So having Day of the Tentacle be so great makes Full Throttle and Grim Fandango's inferior puzzles even more glaring.

Full Throttle's a good game but I like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango more (The latter more for its writing).

jett

D-Member
That screenshot just proves my point :p If you can't see the detail loss between Original and this remake then you're not being a good enough judge to say it looks "fine".

The only thing that looks different is the CGI bike, because they redid all the CGI assets completely. It's the only change I don't like.

speedomodel

Only had a little time last night to play, so I was planning on just 10 or so minutes to get a taste.

Now I'm at 33%. Couldn't stop playing.

After playing and beating it for the first time today gonna have to agree with this. A good chunk of the puzzles were just straight up bad and obtuse.

I've gotten used to crappy puzzles in 90's adventure games that aren't Sierra tier bullshit, but playing Day of the Tentacle Remastered really surprised me because that game had honestly really good puzzles, they gave you sufficient context and the majority made sense. I only had to use a guide at the end of the game and that was it. So having Day of the Tentacle be so great makes Full Throttle and Grim Fandango's inferior puzzles even more glaring.

Full Throttle's a good game but I like Day of the Tentacle and Grim Fandango more (The latter more for its writing).

Yeah. I'm guessing Grossman is better at logical puzzles.

Only had a little time last night to play, so I was planning on just 10 or so minutes to get a taste.

Now I'm at 33%. Couldn't stop playing.

So you played it for 20 minutes instead? :)

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Got the plat, but it took me 1.5 playthrough since the others are easily missed.

valouris

When it comes to the Dig, that games was renowned for having some of the most OBSCURE puzzles in a LucasArts point and click game...and not much humour to it either...so I've relegated that game to watching it as a movie...on Youtube!

You monster.

Seriously play it, it is the best of the bunch imho. No humour because of much different tone and atmosphere in general, most puzzles made complete sense to me, much more than monkey island and day off the tentacle.

Did they seriously disable that?

Will surely make the game a lot harder.

Did they seriously disable that?

Will surely make the game a lot harder.

They didn't disable it, the game simply never had it back then. Which is weird as it's obviously helpful, and Curse which used the same verb gui *does* have it.

What happens is you get a red square around the cursor when you hover over something clickable. You then have to click it to see the description. So if two clickable things are very close to each other, you may not notice as you might think the red square is for one item with a large hitbox.

Literally the only thing I remember about this game is playing it at a friends house and kicking a wall for ten minutes before giving up.

Literally the only thing I remember about this game is playing it at a friends house and kicking a wall for ten minutes before giving up.

Did you play other point and click games before then? This game has a few poorly designed puzzles, but for the most part, it's fairly easy.

RAIDEN1

Having completed Day of the Tentacle last-night (with the help of a guide! Yes as it's not as if there are side quests to do while you figure out what to do next...so as to move the story along)...thinking I'll either head for The Dig, or Indy as even though I brought Full Throttle I remember some of the scenes already like yesterday (when I first brought it back in 95) ...so it's not a game I will hurry to!

Top Bottom