• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only gamers care... I always check out what people are playing on handhelds :)

Ha, point. To clarify I mean care in the most negative aspects.

If I see someone playing something I definitely lean a bit like a snoopy-poopy and try and catch a glimpse of what you're rocking.

dc3k

Bought a screen protector. Spent 15 minutes getting everything ready and making sure there was no dust anywhere. Still fucked it up.

CHn5FUej9sWDs3OCfkP61BoipT3doN7YCcefiGuMFpD36vrLCxaJV316OfOAxhFN4wAj5-j1MpZRf0AtkG6r-2QULLSyKfu2IvCZG2aPEkvKE4MXAaGe4EFuNhXNHiqiWq_tx8hFrr4owyUtith7sOZnX7lVNxbHULyuFsBg5KHvFfyD0LXvbcWgxX4Oh1QlBEmv2fwYJ98E4vu297tRmQ10WduDYpQGqYs9uEsuJfl7iM706s5029RVzediHJm1I5GdYXKD_jm4H0lVPdOAUytpyqG_EBga_eXRXP46ik2TjavhtpPUxOUEpuXA_eTrDBYbft3nAPlILezd6kmxlV6vx_nSp_U0WUOMM7eaXVtsYiVvGTUyMj002m5p8JJHfyYJXkUeYeY6GmSDwkViaugscfr-oBDp-af15GYNGRip3kuw1YSSwCGreBYkzsFx7LNSwnqR8YrCDBwCoCCbqApyOqqRFA0K2YmEntPJ4Z4g2cnUXPURUEDAkoI0lr29lIENXmNh3nGvhMoW3bsLQIflU2eRdi6iAnJ4cJIaY09yZsQ3feaUyCgrazkvN_akZZISQumFihAmdh2frNrSvPcqBGGS1-sE8Whq8k4rvWo8BcpK0XAh7OPzEjw_rRKEo3alTL3qwqcfed6vPym9JHxB8sD4GokdZ4uxFSLLtKk=w1092-h819-no

Luckily it isn't noticeable unless the screen is very dark. But still. I know it's there. Mocking me.

I got my Switch the day after launch and So far it is a 100% Zelda machine. I have this Snipperclip demo waiting for me but I can't pull myself away from Zelda.

I haven't had any of the issues I've read about on Gaf and around the net, so I'll count myself lucky. So far I really like it and the pro controller is up there among the best controllers I've used. I don't overly care for the grip thing though.

TheFuzz

Just noticed it today myself in one small area near the center. The finish is very delicate I suppose because my unit has mostly been docked and handled very gently.

Same place as mine. A little toothpaste on a piece of tissue paper and the black finish came off. It's definitely VERY delicate. I'm surprised it came off with just light rubbing. Oh well. At least it's the back.

phanphare

Banned
starting to see a lot of that zelda, arms, and splatoon 2 commercial

wonder if splatoon 2 is closer than anticipated, maybe a week or so before E3 with arms in may

Vitacat

Having never played Shovel Knight...Is it worth buying on the Switch?

E: Also, can you rearrange or change the way the homescreen layout is? I'd prefer a grid instead of a line now that I own enough games to have to scroll.

I love Shovel Knight on Switch. It's the most complete version, at least for now, and you get all the versatility the Switch offers.

Not

Banned
This thing is magical. They really hit on something cool with the instant switching thing.

I take it out, boom, it's on the little screen, keep playing. I put it back in, TV turns on, goes to the right INPUT CHANNEL. Turn on the pro contoller and boom.

LOVE this thing.

Made some more progress in Zelda too,
freed Vah Ruta.

You know, I'm usually not self conscience at all about being a gamer/nerd in public, but I don't think I could do Switch at the gym. I know it's really all that different from playing a game on your iPhone or something but yeah. Has anyone said anything to you?

Nothing negative. One of the 24 hour fitness workers thought it was awesome that my brother and I bring our switch to the gym.

I also don't feel self consious at all in a public setting. I see it no different from using your cell phone. I'm the type of person that treats it as "I'm probably never going to meet this person again in my lifetime, why should I give a fuck what anyone thinks."

Shengar

Great to hear!

How the hell is that NOT covered under warranty?

I'd like to see how they worm their way around that. It's clearly a design defect if it can't withstand normal use for a few weeks. Jeeze, Nintendo, we love you but c'mon now.

Definitely let us know how it turns out for you, and if they send a replacement unit with your save files restored to it. Hopefully you recorded your original units serial number to check?

If it was design issue, it will be more widespread, especially when many people seems love to played it on handheld mode. As of now, Diablohead's guess that system held one handed is most make sense considering that there shouldn't be enough force concentration to break it that way with two stress points.

.... well for those wondering, definitely don't use the toothpaste method to buff it out. It wore down the finish on the back so now there's a glossy spot on the back.

Can't win I guess.

I have glossy spots on the back from where I hold it on each side in portable mode. Anybody else have this?

I have a 6-hour train ride coming up this weekend. Can't wait...

;)
Sounds awesome! Do you have a power bank or power supply on the train so Switch can last the journey?
Edit-My son (we) took out the Switch for the first time for a family birthday at a local restaurant. We left with it fully charged and then 2+ hours later after coming home it had gone down to about 40+% power. Not bad for not having a power bank, but it wasn't in constant use, thank goodness for sleep mode though.

TheFuzz

I have glossy spots on the back from where I hold it on each side in portable mode. Anybody else have this?

Mine was from the cleaning attempt, but I'm pretty sure I've seen this before. It's likely that the finish is just not that great and any chemicals (like toothpaste or oils and sweat) will degrade the finish over time.

It's still "black" but there's an obvious difference when you're looking for it. Seems like it will be more common as time goes on. No way for it to stay 100% perfect.

RootCause

Has anyone tried the armor shells for the switch?
I'm thinking of getting one, but there are no reviews.

I'd like to know if it scratches the system, and if it makes the system warmer.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
I really need to pick up that joy con charging grip soon...having to snap the joy cons onto my docked Switch always makes me a bit nervous.

J

Jpop

Unconfirmed Member
I am trying to decide between

-I am Setsuna and Disgaea?

I've never played a Disgaea game before.

I am also going to get FAST.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
It just occurred to me how awesome it's gonna be able to have impromptu games of Smash whenever one launches on the Switch...just slide off a joycon and start up a 1v1 anywhere.

random25

It just occurred to me how awesome it's gonna be able to have impromptu games of Smash whenever one launches on the Switch...just slide off a joycon and start up a 1v1 anywhere.

You will lack a button for the taunts with a joycon but other than that yeah that's awesome.

Regarding Smash and tournaments, I said before that the Switch is already an instant setup for official matches and even friendlies with less hassle. And it will really look that way.

Has anyone tried a case like this on their Switch? I keep going back on forth on whether I wanna use a soft/gummy cellphone-style skin-case. But, I'm worried about possible overheating issues + how feasible to use and effective it'll be since detaching the joycons will leave the sides exposed. (I know this particular one is a hard plastic case, but still.)

jokkir

My Switch in addition to other problems (very loose kickstand, pretty sure loose joycon) is... bent? Like it's a very slight curve but it shouldn't be this way, right? It curves inwards toward the screen.

I'll take a photo when I can. But yeah, this is bothering me lol. Also, how do save transfers work (since I know it's not available yet). Would popping my MicroSD out and putting it into a new Switch transfer it or nope

KAOz

Short bus special
My Switch in addition to other problems (very loose kickstand, pretty sure loose joycon) is... bent? Like it's a very slight curve but it shouldn't be this way, right? It curves inwards toward the screen.

I'll take a photo when I can. But yeah, this is bothering me lol. Also, how do save transfers work (since I know it's not available yet). Would popping my MicroSD out and putting it into a new Switch transfer it or nope

Nope.

Locked to the hardware at this point in time.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
I have a small gripe with the Joycon straps also. It feels like I'm doing something wrong when I try to take them off. Feels like I have to use so much force that I'm afraid it will break them. I pressed the locking mechanism down and the release button down too. I also managed to put one of them in the wrong way and had to google how to get it out.

The weird trick to the joy-con straps is NOT to use the release button. They are only locked with the little grey tab at the bottom. Once you realise that, they are much easier to remove.

Bought a screen protector. Spent 15 minutes getting everything ready and making sure there was no dust anywhere. Still fucked it up.

CHn5FUej9sWDs3OCfkP61BoipT3doN7YCcefiGuMFpD36vrLCxaJV316OfOAxhFN4wAj5-j1MpZRf0AtkG6r-2QULLSyKfu2IvCZG2aPEkvKE4MXAaGe4EFuNhXNHiqiWq_tx8hFrr4owyUtith7sOZnX7lVNxbHULyuFsBg5KHvFfyD0LXvbcWgxX4Oh1QlBEmv2fwYJ98E4vu297tRmQ10WduDYpQGqYs9uEsuJfl7iM706s5029RVzediHJm1I5GdYXKD_jm4H0lVPdOAUytpyqG_EBga_eXRXP46ik2TjavhtpPUxOUEpuXA_eTrDBYbft3nAPlILezd6kmxlV6vx_nSp_U0WUOMM7eaXVtsYiVvGTUyMj002m5p8JJHfyYJXkUeYeY6GmSDwkViaugscfr-oBDp-af15GYNGRip3kuw1YSSwCGreBYkzsFx7LNSwnqR8YrCDBwCoCCbqApyOqqRFA0K2YmEntPJ4Z4g2cnUXPURUEDAkoI0lr29lIENXmNh3nGvhMoW3bsLQIflU2eRdi6iAnJ4cJIaY09yZsQ3feaUyCgrazkvN_akZZISQumFihAmdh2frNrSvPcqBGGS1-sE8Whq8k4rvWo8BcpK0XAh7OPzEjw_rRKEo3alTL3qwqcfed6vPym9JHxB8sD4GokdZ4uxFSLLtKk=w1092-h819-no

Luckily it isn't noticeable unless the screen is very dark. But still. I know it's there. Mocking me.

Same for me.

I decided I'd live with that and most of the time I don't notice it. But I know it's there...

Ninja Dom

Hmmmm. I had my first crash on the Switch. Not sure if it was Zelda or the system.

Playing in Handheld mode on the train, I was playing Zelda. I spoke to Beedle in Rito Village and a message came up saying "An Error has occurred. Please restart your system". I restarted and reloaded and everything seemed fine after that.

That's after 50 hours of Zelda.

I'd like Nintendo to allow us to email screenshots from the album. I send postcards of my Zelda journey to my sister and posting to Twitter to grab the shot then deleting the tweet is tiresome.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I'd be worried playing my Switch while doing cardio - sweaty hands getting all up on my Joycons. I imagine that would cause some damage over time.

Also, thanks for the comments on Shovel Knight. Going to pick that up this week. I've already created a backlog for myself on this system. I was worried about lack of release lineup, but after having this thing for a week, I've already got more games to play than time (partially thanks to Zelda being so huge).

Hopefully this isn't considered port begging, but is there any word on Spelunky coming to the Switch? Seems tailormade for the platform.

I'm in love with the screen on my Switch. It's so crisp and vibrant Zelda looks stunning on it to me. Having not played any games this generation (except on 3DS) and coming to this has been a real treat to my eyes in graphics and image quality compared what I'm used to. I'm constantly in awe at how beautiful Zelda looks from a design, art, and technical aspects.

If Nintendo makes a handheld in the future that can do Switch-like graphics and resolution
in stereoscopic 3D
, I would be in heaven.

Unai

Hmmmm. I had my first crash on the Switch. Not sure if it was Zelda or the system.

Playing in Handheld mode on the train, I was playing Zelda. I spoke to Beedle in Rito Village and a message came up saying "An Error has occurred. Please restart your system". I restarted and reloaded and everything seemed fine after that.

That's after 50 hours of Zelda.

Has it been exactly 10 days from when your first played it?

Is the 10-day crash a common issue? Is there any way to circumvent it?
It didn't happen for me though my profile page did take a long time to load when i went to check whether it was showing my hours played. I had deliberately made sure no game was suspended during the crossover from day 9 to 10 though (just a precaution.. No idea if that really helps).

Omerta

I fly 4000 kms a week for work and I've just done my first flight with a switch and SWEET LORD BABY JEBUS was that not the best flight of my life!

Zelda + Switch + battery pack + headphones = some sort of gaming time warp...

Next time, I'm bringing the joy con grip FTW

fantomena

My Switch has arrived and is ready to be unpacked when Im home. Did go for the grey version. I saw someone else who owns the Neon version and holy shit it's ugly imo. Blue and red don't match and the colors are too strong. Would been way better with a blue or red only edition.

I got Zelda, 1-2 Switch and Snipperclips ready. Will see about Isaac and Fast RMX.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Ok I need help. How do I disable the parental controls restriction for accessing internet settings? Every time I go in to internet settings it says this festure is restricted bt the parental controls app and I'm forced to enter a pin to temporarily disable the restriction. This is getting really annoying. I don't see any option to permanently disable this restriction.

Feeroper

I absolutely love this console! The seamless transition between tv and potable is such a revelation for me.

Quick question for everyone though - has anyone had a moment where you insert a game cart and it doesn't recognize it, but you take it out and put it back in and it's good? I've had this happen only a couple of times, but no issues otherwise.

This also happens on my 3DS and ds before it sometimes, but with the switch I wanted to see if anyone else had this happen? I always get nervous with new tech.

The back of the carts feel so vulnerable to me, it seems like a lot of it is quite exposed compared to the ds & 3DS carts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom