• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo DS Lite gets new LCD screens. Not for the better unfortunately.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
larvi said:
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=72125

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, does the pokemon one have the same or a different screens than the Zelda DS? I have the Zelda now and see any problems with my screens and I have the Pokemon edition on order
They are very similar in terms of saturation and ghosting. Honestly, the best DS systems to get are typically white models, or new metallic rose that don't make the 'clicking' sound when opened fully.

Wallach

Mutagenic said:
They are very similar in terms of saturation and ghosting. Honestly, the best DS systems to get are typically white models, or new metallic rose that don't make the 'clicking' sound when opened fully.

I've got around 20 DSLs at work; they're all pretty similar outside of the Cobalt/Black models. The screens on those are just noticeably different - I haven't seen any of them that have the slightly different tinted touch screen (which is very common in the other models outside of the initial fab whites), but I find the different refresh on them a little distracting. When they're displaying simple colors or solid backgrounds the refresh lines are more visible when the DS is not perfectly still (i.e. you're holding it in your hands as opposed to having it set on a table or something).

Wallach

MomoPufflet said:
Ugh-- I was actually considering finally getting a DS too :/ Not until something is done about this.

I honestly would not let this deter you. Unless you don't plan on actually playing games and just want to stare at the IPL all day, it's not something you are going to notice. I am very happy with the new Pokemon model I picked up today, and there are probably few people that have returned as many electronics to the store for "niggling" flaws as I have.

Mutagenic

Permanent Junior Member
MomoPufflet said:
Ugh-- I was actually considering finally getting a DS too :/ Not until something is done about this.
If you play a lot of GBA games, it can be distracting after awhile. But when you play DS games on it, the ghosting isn't as significant.

MomoPufflet said:
You realize this thread was from a year ago, right? The DS has sold millions of units since then and rarely do you hear complaints about this stuff. It's good to be informed before you make a purchase, but don't let a few isolated complaints deter you. I have serious doubts as to how many people would notice these "problems" if they never read about them on a message board.

Josh7289

Wallach said:
I've got around 20 DSLs at work; they're all pretty similar outside of the Cobalt/Black models. The screens on those are just noticeably different - I haven't seen any of them that have the slightly different tinted touch screen (which is very common in the other models outside of the initial fab whites), but I find the different refresh on them a little distracting. When they're displaying simple colors or solid backgrounds the refresh lines are more visible when the DS is not perfectly still (i.e. you're holding it in your hands as opposed to having it set on a table or something).
Could you explain what you mean by "refresh lines"?

And all this time that you're saying "refresh rate", do you mean "response time"?

Why are the images and videos of the OP removed? If sony would have replaced the PSP screen with a rectangular crap we would have a 15 pages thread with 251 gifs.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
Plaguefox said:
Oh great thanks a bunch for bumping this and reminding me that I got stuck with one of those red/black DSlites with both the yellow bottom screen and the misaligned bottom screen.

Add four dead pixels.

I use my wife's pink DSlite more often because the yellow is crazy-driving on certain games.

Ah well. :)
If your warranty is still good on it, call tech support, and try and come up with something to make them take it in for repair. Most likely they will flat out swap out that bottom screen, fixing all your problems in one quick sweep, and may find something else ready to go and swap it out for you.

Bumping an older thread but I was planning on getting the ice blue DS and was wondering if the screens still have the ugly yellow tint to them or was that exclusive to the crimson/black Brain Age bundle?

davidmt

mrkapawutzis said:
Bumping an older thread but I was planning on getting the ice blue DS and was wondering if the screens still have the ugly yellow tint to them or was that exclusive to the crimson/black Brain Age bundle?

The yellow tint was common to almost all DS colors after the Crimson was released. I have an import ice blue and its got the problem.

I'm also curious if anyone can confirm if the new bundles (Mario Red, Ice Blue) have the problem screens?

Okay, I just bought the silver DS lite last month. I decided to play it now since I have a little time, and I noticed that the top screen has a pink tint to it, you can only notice it when it's displaying white, but it does not effect other colors.

I see in this thread that people have yellow tinted touch screens and bad viewing angles, but does anyone have the pink tint on the top? Should I replace it or just wait till the DSi comes out? Is this even normal - as in if I do replace it I will probably have the same problem with the next one?

Help..........:D

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Whew, bump. For one second I thought this was happening again to new models.

soldat7

Have there been any problems with the Onyx DS Lite? I'm playing Aria of Sorrow and I notice a refresh/scan line traveling rather slowly down the screen (upper). I don't notice this on other GBA games (Metroid Fusion) or any of my DS games, however.

It was purchased in January.

Top Bottom