• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

SF BayGaf

Hi, everyone, I live in the Bay, practically born and raised there.

Also, does anyone know if there are any theaters in the Fremont/Milpitas area that show smaller arthouse fare? I've been trying to see if any theaters are showing "Good Time" and I'm coming up with nothing.

Oh, and RIP Nickel City.

Marcus

Will be starting a job as a software engineer at a tech company in Redwood City in early September. Moving all the way from Maryland! Anybody here looking for a roommate? :D

v1lla21

Working in San Mateo now and the traffic back to San Jose isn't as bad as I thought it'd be at the time I get out. Takes me about 45 minutes to get home.

otapnam

Hi, everyone, I live in the Bay, practically born and raised there.

Also, does anyone know if there are any theaters in the Fremont/Milpitas area that show smaller arthouse fare? I've been trying to see if any theaters are showing "Good Time" and I'm coming up with nothing.

Oh, and RIP Nickel City.

I think you're out of luck. Camera cinemas in San Jose or you goto oakland - Piedmont theater or Berkeley.

broz0rs

Working in San Mateo now and the traffic back to San Jose isn't as bad as I thought it'd be at the time I get out. Takes me about 45 minutes to get home.

You take the 101s back home? Last I remember that was a hell of a commute, especially around 5-7pm.

Miletius

I take it much earlier than that, around 3:30 to 4pm so it's relatively light.

Yeah, there are 2 spots on the 101 that I know of that gets really bad after 5 or so (and also around 8 AM). The first is the San Mateo bridge and the second is University Ave in Palo Alto. If you aren't there around those times then 101 S is pretty manageable, for the most part, IMO. I don't know about further South though, since I haven't traveled extensively in that area.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Yeah, there are 2 spots on the 101 that I know of that gets really bad after 5 or so (and also around 8 AM). The first is the San Mateo bridge and the second is University Ave in Palo Alto. If you aren't there around those times then 101 S is pretty manageable, for the most part, IMO. I don't know about further South though, since I haven't traveled extensively in that area.

Once you get near Sunnyvale all bets are off.

101 in Palo Alto near University ave stinks. When is all that construction ever gonna finish?

Ha, I go through there every day on my way home. Yeah it's pretty nasty. Also the backup for the Willow St exit is kind of hilarious. Completely stopped for like half a mile or something.

v1lla21

Yeah University gets pretty bad. Didn't make my way home until around 4:30 today and traffic was much worse so yeah, happy im not around to wait till 5 or 6

Miletius

Yeah University gets pretty bad. Didn't make my way home until around 4:30 today and traffic was much worse so yeah, happy im not around to wait till 5 or 6

Totally Cherish those offpeak hours!

Been commuting from RWC to Berkeley for the last few days for orientation. 1.5 hours roundtrip sucks, but what can you do. My GF is looking for a new gig closer to school but it's probably gonna be a bit, so I gotta suck it up for now.

broz0rs

Traffic comes around 4 or 5 in certain areas. 280 is my favorite highway and 680 northbound can kiss my ass.

I had the 680 reverse commute and that drive was pretty cool. The view of Pleasanton from the 680 is beautiful. I thought about living there, but then I'd lose my commute and suffer hell every morning and late afternoon.

v1lla21

I'm going to the car show with my pops this weekend that's why I can't make it. My birthday is in September and the week before that I'm going to the indycar final in Sonoma so not a lot if spending on my on the other weekends.

A lot of members on gaf reside in the bay but I guess many aren't interested in meet ups.

XiaNaphryz

A lot of members on gaf reside in the bay but I guess many aren't interested in meet ups.

Or we're older folks busy with family stuff on weekends. ;P

Best commute is the water commute. Why sit in traffic for an hour to 90 minutes when I can just sit on the boat for 50 minutes and work/nap/play games.

CfPPZW5UMAAwCIE.jpg:orig

v1lla21

Best commute is the water commute. Why sit in traffic for an hour to 90 minutes when I can just sit on the boat for 50 minutes and work/nap/play games.

I forget... Lol.

I see the appeal in self driving cars now.

AcridMeat

Banned
RIP Bay GAF, we hardly knew ye.

What about September the 2nd?
I'm still down for any days. I do leave on the 3rd for a couple of weeks though.

Do the baygaf numbers not roll deep enough anymore?
I'm still down to go this weekend, I was just saying we may not have a huge number, which I don't have a problem with. I know M52B28 wanted to go too so we'd at least have 4.
I'm going to the car show with my pops this weekend that's why I can't make it. My birthday is in September and the week before that I'm going to the indycar final in Sonoma so not a lot if spending on my on the other weekends.

Oh man the indycar final is at Sonoma this year? Do you know if tickets are still available?

This used to be my commute. Super relaxing except for when it was pouring with rain. I got through so many books :(

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

One of the few things I liked about Vallejo when I was living there.

Still love that ride. Could even get a stiff drink after work on a hard day.

Don't like missing the last ride out though... That can be said of all bay transit though.

GamerJM

Banned

To be honest, my issue is mostly just limited transportation. I really need to get over my driving anxiety, like, this year.

v1lla21

Are you going to Pebble Beach? I was just driving from San Luis Abispo and saw so many Ferraris and Lamborghinis going South on 101.
That was this weekend that just passed. I was gonna go but ended up doing other stuff. It's pretty cool, I've been to it before and it's fun seeing cars you don't see at all on the streets.

We're gonna have to make a meetup in the southbay sooner or later.
Yeah you could always take Caltrain or bum a ride from someone if it's cool with em. Man Caltrain was horrible last time lol.

XiaNaphryz

Don't like missing the last ride out though... That can be said of all bay transit though.

There's been such high demand the last few years that there's a few more routes scheduled throughout the day. The fleet ordered a few more ferries as well. Last ride out of SF is 8 PM now, used to be 7 PM.

the ferry is easily the best way to cross the bay, you can't have a beer on BART. plus, the view from the water of SF from the east is one of my favorite views ever

Top Bottom