• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption 2 and that 'Fall 2017' release window

I desperately want this to be something they're silent on, then drop a series of great trailers in a matter of several weeks and build the hype for the Fall 2017 release. It doesn't seem outside the realm of possibility given how long the game has likely been in development, but then again given Rockstar's track record for delaying games, I'm not sure how much faith I'd put in them delivering this fall.

Liamc723

I think we will see something very soon. The Call of Duty reveal has passed, and Rockstar has implemented a two week bonus xp deal on GTA:Online, which I believe they did before Red Dead Redemption 2's reveal. So the next couple weeks are clear. The reveal trailer was posted on a Thursday, (so I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow) but we also have the 7th anniversary of Red Dead Redemption's release coming up on May 18th. 7 characters, 7th anniversary? They might play with something like that.

So I'm guessing new info and trailer between now and the 18th, possibly a release date there as well. Then something for Sony's conference since Sony has the marketing deal. I'd like to think gameplay demo, but they're probably more likely to show a short trailer for RDR:Online if they're going all in on it like they have done with GTA, and then that will give the Sony rep an opportunity to talk about early/exclusive online content.
October 2017 release.

You're reading wayyyyy too much into things. None of that will happen.

This came has probably been worked on at various levels for the better part of at least six years, Rockstar screwed up with announcing GTA V and releasing the first teaser way too soon and they realized that. It's also probably been the primary focus going on four years now.

I think we will see something very soon. The Call of Duty reveal has passed, and Rockstar has implemented a two week bonus xp deal on GTA:Online, which I believe they did before Red Dead Redemption 2's reveal. So the next couple weeks are clear. The reveal trailer was posted on a Thursday, (so I'm crossing my fingers for tomorrow) but we also have the 7th anniversary of Red Dead Redemption's release coming up on May 18th. 7 characters, 7th anniversary? They might play with something like that.

So I'm guessing new info and trailer between now and the 18th, possibly a release date there as well. Then something for Sony's conference since Sony has the marketing deal. I'd like to think gameplay demo, but they're probably more likely to show a short trailer for RDR:Online if they're going all in on it like they have done with GTA, and then that will give the Sony rep an opportunity to talk about early/exclusive online content.
October 2017 release.

At least in regard to the 2x bonus stuff in GTA Online, they've done that every two weeks for the last 18 months or so. When one bonus ends, they implement another one for another game mode as the "featured playlist" for that week.

Considering how quiet it's been I'd pin the chances it coming out this year as 'slim', as much as I'd love it to.

May 2018 is my guess.

Same. Which is fine to me because Rockstar is more often than not on point with their releases. I was actually replaying RDR on XONE and it's still just as good as the first time I played it. I'll never forget flipping back and forth between Red Dead & Alan Wake (which I think released on the same week as RDR). Talk about a great one-two punch.

WorldHero

I can definitely see R* delaying RDR2 to 2018, and dropping a significant GTA Online expansion (Return to Liberty City) in it's place.

Really can't see this coming out this year. It's the only game I'm really excited for, and I could see Rockstar using the Scorpio/Pro as an excuse to delay the game for another 6 months into Q1/Q2 2018 in order to polish an enhanced version of the game.

It would follow the GTAV media cycle as well. Announcement trailer revealing the city and general ideas of the game, followed by a media blackout for nearly a year, and then a follow up announcement showing more of the story premise, gameplay shots, and a delay.

Aye they don't come out with enough games for it to be remembered when the next one gets delayed, but every major Rockstar title since GTA: Vice City has been delayed in some way, some for over a year.

Lemme think...

GTA III was delayed, but this was mostly because if 9/11. The game was supposed to come out in September or early Oct of 2011, but there was a mission that had to be removed, where a player was supposed to fly the Dodo into a building, and so after 9/11 it had to be cut. There was already some antagonism against the game because prominent screenshots features the player firing AK-47s at police and firefighters, and being set in New York City just in the aftermath of 9/11, the optics were bad. There's some speculation that this is also why they clipped the wings of the dodo so it really couldn't be flown.

GTA Vice CIty came out on time.

GTA San Andreas was delayed by a month close to release.

GTA IV was supposed to be released October 2007, but in August 2007 they announced it'd be delayed until April 2008.

Red Dead Redemption was delated about a month from April 2010 to May 2010.

GTA V was delayed for a year IIRC, though the only firm dates were from April 2013 to Sept 2013.

I don't know the specifics of games like Max Payne, Table Tennis, or other less impactful games. Looking back it doesn't seem as bad, though in the moment I remember there being a lot more projections of release dates, only to hear nothing for weeks or months, speculation of the delays, and then finally confirmation from Rockstar a few weeks before the planned release.

Max Payne 3 was delayed by a Few months. I don't remember about table tennis or bully.

Servbot24

Banned
If they say it's 2017 then it's 2017.

If they say actually we're pushing it back to 2018, then it's 2018.

Life is simple folks.

Basketball

Rockstar is a sleeping giant

boy when they wake up
the earth will shake

could be any day .. today, tomorrow , on a random Saturday morning

I swear if they don't port RDR2 to PC I will be so fucking salty.

In fact I am still salty they didn't port RDR1 over, even though I remember them talking about it once in an interview. Fuck.

If they could get it to run on PC... that would be the definitive edition provided it isn't a POS and closer to something like Max Payne 3 or GTAV on PC.

Saganator

Holiday 2018 and not before. I'd take an avatar bet on it.

I really don't see it being delayed more than a year. Rockstar has never needed the holiday sales bump, almost all the major GTA releases are in Spring/Summer. I'm gonna go with April 2018.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Ive decided to pretend the announcement never happened and it doesn't exist... until it does. Kind of like Kingdom Hearts III.

If they say it's 2017 then it's 2017.

If they say actually we're pushing it back to 2018, then it's 2018.

Life is simple folks.

I mean, that's not how things work at all. There is more to life than what people say officially. You can read between the lines, and speculation happens. Based on the complete silence since reveal, people speculate a 2018 release. We'll see what happens.

Top Bottom