• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bobby Kotick's one wish: "[to have CoD] be an online subscription service tomorrow."

macksplack said:
i hope they do this so the franchise will completely be dead

nah the same tools that are complaining about this are the same tools that will bend over and buy the game day one when it releases.

Cornbread78

Alright, if this comes to fruition, I think my shooter plans are now settled..

MoH, your up buddy, followed by Brink, Rage, and once KZ3 and R3 come out, I'll be all-set with my sci-fi shooters for a long time... ... Please let me save the $60 dollars.

dirty peasants my a$$.....

I love how he (and these people in the games industry just generally) try to spin this fucking bullshit as a benefit to us with their PR doubletalk. They're never gunning for more money, you know, they're always trying to 'maximize creative opportunity' and 'bring a compelling experience'. I got so fed up with this shit from everyone at E3 I just stopped watching the conferences and watched the trailerson delay instead.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
-viper- said:
What the fuck does he mean by that?

Is he trying to tell us the consumers WANT TO PAY MORE MONEY?

Call of Duty players pay $15 for fucking map packs. Yes, CoD customers have more than proven that they want to pay more money for Call of Duty.

If gamers have proven one thing this entire generation, its that you want to pay MORE for gaming. You paid $10 MORE per title. You paid $50 MORE just to play online. You paid $15 MORE just for maps. You paid MORE for DLC. You paid MORE for the hardware and you paid for it over and over and over again (those customers who bought replacement 360 after replacement 360 when they red ringed).

Gamers have paid more for less and any business man would be foolish not to make them do it again and again and again.

Cornbread78 said:
MoH, your up buddy, followed by Brink, Rage, and once KZ3 and R3 come out, I'll be all-set with my sci-fi shooters for a long time... ... Please let me save the $60 dollars.

I agree. Screw CoD. I'm sick of modern FPS games but if I have to I'll get Medal of Honor - otherwise it'll be Reach for my multiplayer FPS for the next year until we get Brink and Rage. I don't even care if they don't do this scheme - I'm done giving Activision my money. No more COD, no more map packs.

eznark

Banned
Kabuki Waq said:
nah the same tools that are complaining about this are the same tools that will bend over and buy the game day one when it releases.
GAF always makes the mistake of thinking their opinion is universal. When it comes to shooters, nothing is further from the truth.

There are toooons of gamers who make two purchases a year, Madden and CoD. They don't give a shit who the developer is, they don't give a shit about dedicated servers, and they won't give a shit about paying an extra $5-10 a month to play their one game.

(also, lol USA soccer)

Just admit that all you fucktards will eat it up when it happens, just like that stupid map pack that sold millions. Let's skip the feigned outrage step please.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Kintaro said:
Call of Duty players pay $15 for fucking map packs. Yes, CoD customers have more than proven that they want to pay more money for Call of Duty.

If gamers have proven one thing this entire generation, its that you want to pay MORE for gaming. You paid $10 MORE per title. You paid $50 MORE just to play online. You paid $15 MORE just for maps. You paid MORE for DLC. You paid MORE for the hardware and you paid for it over and over and over again (those customers who bought replacement 360 after replacement 360 when they red ringed).

Gamers have paid more for less and any business man would be foolish not to make them do it again and again and again.
I remember paying (well, my dad paying) $15 for these, like, unofficial 100 map packs for Warcraft 2. :lol

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
Najaf said:
Strange. I linked to it off of my
Activision stock ticker.
Here is the appropriate part. He goes on to talk about being taken under Steve Wynn's wing and whatnot. Yes; that Steve Wynn.
Thanks man!

Love it when entrepreneurs say don't waste your time on college! :lol

MomoPufflet said:
Just admit that all you fucktards will eat it up when it happens, just like that stupid map pack that sold millions. Let's skip the feigned outrage step please.

Pretty much nailed it...

Darklord

Banned
That would kill CoD. $20 map pack is one thing, $20 a month when games like MoH and BC2 are out? LOL. Yeah, some people would pay but not 20 million.

Danielsan

First they will make you pay for the online in Call of Duty.
You will cry foul and bitch but you will give in.
Then they will raise the price.
Rinse and repeat.

Its like he is a parody of a stereotypical Jewish business man. Like an evil coporate boss from a tv show or Family Guy episode, but real.

Kabuki Waq said:

Yes this my fear as well because it gives other publishers the same idea if it works.

Loam

If I'm not mistaken the largest chunk of the CoD userbase is on Xbox correct? Does he really think people are going to be willing to pay a separate monthly fee for one game?

1-D_FTW

eznark said:
I don't see why everyone is shocked. Every single publisher would love to be able to make their games a subscription based platform, the difference here is that Kotick and CoD will absolutely be able to make it work.

Thank God I think the games are shit.

The more I see of the new MoH game, the more it seems like an exact CoD clone (not a good thing for me) being done by Dice. I don't think they would get away with it if MoH was free to play.

But then if MoH became the dominate shooter, EA would want to charge a subscription.

Maybe they'll just have a gentleman's agreement they'll both start charging soon. Then all gamers will get their wish and get to pay for these things.

Xav

Call of Duty is dead to me now, I've played and enjoyed COD 4 and then again with Modern Warfare 2 but I've had my fill and I'm ready to move on to other things. Do whatever you want with the series Activision, ram it into the ground for all I care.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Danielsan said:
You will cry foul and bitch but you will you give in.
Rinse and repeat.

yeah I know, I came here to post this. I'm sure 3/4 of the DudeBros that play CoD, Gears, and Halo would gladly pay for a subscription service to get "additional content" and stat tracking, and etc, etc.

They'll bitch and moan, then they'll pay, then the price will go up, then they'll bitch and moan, then they'll pay, rinse, repeat.

Danielsan said:
You will cry foul and bitch but you will you give in.
Rinse and repeat.

These generalizations are dumb. Of the entire CoD install base, GAF and enthusiast gamers were the least likely to buy the map packs - I didn't, and my 'core' gamer friends didn't either. The people who did were the ones mentioned above: the Madden/NBA/'Duty' gamers who make few purchases and are unaware of what is a good price for a map pack and what is highway robbery.

If anything the map pack was better for me by not buying it because it culled a bunch of the douchebag frat boys to their own DLC playlists.

Kintaro

Darklord said:
That would kill CoD. $20 map pack is one thing, $20 a month when games like MoH and BC2 are out? LOL. Yeah, some people would pay but not 20 million.

Pfft. EA would just copy Activision step for step. Then what? John R. is already thinking about how to raise the cost of games that contain 3D. You think he wouldn't co-sign this? Get real.

Genesis Knight said:
These generalizations are dumb. Of the entire CoD install base, GAF and enthusiast gamers were the least likely to buy the map packs - I didn't, and my 'core' gamer friends didn't either. The people who did were the ones mentioned above: the Madden/NBA/'Duty' gamers who make few purchases and are unaware of what is a good price for a map pack and what is highway robbery.

There are far, far more "enthusiast gamers" who bought the map packs than you think.

eznark said:
GAF always makes the mistake of thinking their opinion is universal. When it comes to shooters, nothing is further from the truth.

There are toooons of gamers who make two purchases a year, Madden and CoD. They don't give a shit who the developer is, they don't give a shit about dedicated servers, and they won't give a shit about paying an extra $5-10 a month to play their one game.

(also, lol USA soccer)

no I actually mean the SAME tools who are complaining in this thread are going to bend over. Book it.

Jex

Red Scarlet said:
Man, I remember when that lawyer guy was the "gamer villain", this guy is like the superboss compared to him.

:lol

But seriously, this seems like the next logical step. Even if you lose a portion of your audience, the money you gain from repeatedly charging a smaller group will be huge.

carlo6529 said:
The day they start charging a montly fee for call of duty games, is the day I stop buying call of duty games.

Yup. No way in hell would I or any of my buds buy that game. Vote with your dollars people.

Darklord

Banned
Kintaro said:
Pfft. EA would just copy Activision step for step. Then what? John R. is already thinking about how to raise the cost of games that contain 3D. You think he wouldn't co-sign this? Get real.

He didn't release $20 map packs did he? And no, John R is a businessman but not as much of a scum bag as Kotick. EA would probably use the subscription of CoD to promote their own games like they did with the no dedicated server back-lash.

I can just imagine seeing "NO subscription fees!" on the front on a MoH box, right next to MW3 saying "Subscription required".

BSTF

this post rates 1/10
This is nearly as bad as Blizzard wanting an online subscription service for Warcraft.

Kintaro

Darklord said:
He didn't release $20 map packs did he? And no, John R is a businessman but not as much of a scum bag as Kotick. EA would probably use the subscription of CoD to promote their own games like they did with the no dedicated server back-lash.

I can just imagine seeing "NO subscription fees!" on the front on a MoH box, right next to MW3 saying "Subscription required".

BF:BC2 used the CoD backlash and still can't make a dent in the CoD fortress. Also, have you already forgotten the backlash over online codes in EA sport titles? EA beat Activision to the punch there. Don't act like John R. isn't trying to get your money just as much.

Kotick is probably right about a large percetage of the COD fan base. And if they can leverage that fanaticism into more money then how are they villans? These guys are not exploiting a powerless segment of society, they are offering a product to consumers who seem overly willing to pay premiums.

For the more discerning consumer there are any number of substitutes available (hell, just count the number of FPS that will be released in the next 6 - 12 months). The only people that should have any issue with this are COD fans that do not fit into the consumer base Kotick is talking about, and who believe that ONLY future iterations of the COD franchise will provide them with the experience they desire.

If other companies follow suit and are successful then that really only says something about the consumers, not the developer or business.

Plus, who is to say that Activision wouldn't change up the program some in order to make this product more appealing? I personally dislike COD, but I could see a large number of people willing to pay $10 a month (slightly more than your annual COD + map pack) if it gave them new maps, modes, dedicated servers and the ability to play competitively across all platforms. I doubt that they would go this route, but there are many price points, or product features that could make this more appealing than COD4:MW2 at $15 a month with an additional cost for "stimulus packs".

Jex

Sir Garbageman said:
Yup. No way in hell would I or any of my buds buy that game. Vote with your dollars people.

An ineffective mechanism. A small group of people not buying the game is barely noticeable. Enough people would buy it, and they'd make so much money of it, that it's nearly inevitable.

At least, in their heads.

It's like with lots of Newspaper websites going pay-for-content. Even if you loose 90% of your readers, the money you make from the 10% is easily enough to cover your costs and to make you some money.

If they could put out a game where each day or week city-sized maps would open and close off as territory was won or lost, along with system-wide events, a day/night cycle, weather system, new perks and weapons added frequently I'd strongly consider paying a monthly fee for it. Long as it wasn't 1) a glorified chatroom with some shooting and 2) like MW2 and it's map pack updates.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
MomoPufflet said:

fuckmw2.jpg

Yes yes, we're all hypocrites, fuck off.

I think a lot of people would move over to Battlefield, Medal of Honor or Halo if they ever do this. Then again, if they charge $5 a month and continue making maps every month or so, it might be a big succes.

Darklord

Banned
Kintaro said:
BF:BC2 used the CoD backlash and still can't make a dent in the CoD fortress. Also, have you already forgotten the backlash over online codes in EA sport titles? EA beat Activision to the punch there. Don't act like John R. isn't trying to get your money just as much.

Over 4 million sold isn't making a dent? It did great. And who cares about online codes? Ok, you can't resell a game with full value or something but you don't have to PAY to play. Totally different.

CryptiK

I hope he does it.. I really do hey Kotik do it for all the other activision games so you close down and release your IP's to everyone else so they can MAKE GOOD GAMES..

Come on buying a map pack is miles different to coughing up a sub every month. The people i know would simply move over too another fps, i mean it was astretch getting people to pay for live this would bomb on live imho.

Kintaro said:

that and their map packs so far have just been timed release of content already on disc. So it's not like they developed anything new. The real new content isn't free. They really did "exploit" the MW2 backlash rather effectively with their marketing campaign.

Top Bottom