• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Best artistic games for DS-3DS ?

nasos_333

I lately bought a 3DS and want to catch up to all good titles from DS-3DS

I got the obvious Zelda OOT 3D, which i have a blast with

Also just bought Shantae from DS library and is amazing, the art is great

Are there are other games (besides the obvious Bravely Default, which hopefully will come to US and Shantae 2 3D, Clash of Heroes i know of), that have amazing 2D art ?

I know of Layton, which is next in my plans

Also what are the top RPGs i could get and especially which have art like Bravely Default or generally amazing 2D art

Here is a petition for Bravely Default release on US/Europe

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitio...ring-bravely-default-flying-fairy-to-the-west

The game is amazing and the best thing to come out from Square in years

Electroplankton...very artistic...very zen.

Then again, from your OP I assume you mean something with "beautiful art" instead of "artistic" as a cohesive experience...

I've always loved The World Ends with You in terms of 2D art.

Thoraxes

I think Paper Mario Sticker Star's art is great and the 3D really lends itself to give life to the diorama-like world.

Kid Icarus Uprising has great art direction and some of the stuff is pretty awe-inspiring in terms of scope, as well as unique art for all the factions in game.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
The World Ends With You has outstanding art direction. I'm also a big fan of all the Shin Megami Tensei games for DS too. For 3DS, you can't go wrong with Resident Evil Revelations and Kid Icarus Uprising.

rjc571

Banned
Soul Bubbles is a really unique game with beautiful art. Solatorobo has some lovely artwork as well.

I also really like the 2D artwork in the Etrian Odyssey games, but that might depend on your tolerance level for animu.

nasos_333

That is also amazing, for anyone interested, 3DS gets a lot of love in 2D art

shantae.jpg
shantae_3ds_01_thumb.jpg

Check out the DS Dragon Quest games. Dragon Quest IV - VI on have some amazing monster animations in battle. Rocket Slime is really bright and colorful.

The DS library is really interesting because it's got a shitload of games that are visually very creative because of the console's outdated tech. Not sure what the OP is asking for exactly but here are the top games whose visuals I really enjoyed I can think of right now:

The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road is really pretty, perhaps the prettiest game on the console. Gorgeous environments in unsaturated, pastel-like colors. The visuals got a weird feel to them as the character sort of controls like a car.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the sprite animations in Super Princess Peach, there's a TON of them and they're all very well done, very expressive. Top notch presentation, not as girly as I expected. The color palette is really vivid.

Love Plus is not available in the west but the 3D models feel incredibly human and warm considering how low poly they are. Great animation, unique camera work. Severely underrated game.

In terms of unique artstyle and 2D presentation the Touch Detective series also comes to mind. Quirky cutesy character design and handrawn gothic-inspired environments in comic book style rendition.

Coropata is another Japanese only game that's got amazing 2D spritework.

nasos_333

ni-no-kuni-ds-beta-21.jpg
image378.png
ni_no_kuni_ds.jpg

BTW, what are the chances Ni no Kuni comes to US ?

Has it gone to zero or is there still some chance, i see it having some very cool 2D art and is a pitty to not have it in my collection

nasos_333

The DS library is really interesting because it's got a shitload of games that are visually very creative because of the console's outdated tech. Not sure what the OP is asking for exactly but here are the top games whose visuals I really enjoyed I can think of right now:

The Wizard of Oz: Beyond the Yellow Brick Road is really pretty, perhaps the prettiest game on the console. Gorgeous environments in unsaturated, pastel-like colors. The visuals got a weird feel to them as the character sort of controls like a car.

I was also pleasantly surprised by the sprite animations in Super Princess Peach, there's a TON of them and they're all very well done, very expressive. Top notch presentation, not as girly as I expected. The color palette is really vivid.

Love Plus is not available in the west but the 3D models feel incredibly human and warm considering how low poly they are. Great animation, unique camera work. Severely underrated game.

In terms of unique artstyle and 2D presentation the Touch Detective series also comes to mind. Quirky cutesy character design and handrawn gothic-inspired environments in comic book style rendition.

Coropata is another Japanese only game that's got amazing 2D spritework.

Touch Detective is the closest to what i am looking for

Nice one :)

zroid

Banned

Has it gone to zero or is there still some chance, i see it having some very cool 2D art and is a pitty to not have it in my collection

pretty much zero i think.

PS3 version is better anyway!

Very slim unless it gets a 3DS port...and even then...the chances are still not that great.

nasos_333

pretty much zero i think.

PS3 version is better anyway!

I will get the PS3 one of course, but i love 2D art more than anything so DS one would be amazing for me

Plus would be portable :)

The 2D art is always something unique

They have nailed the 2D look in characters on PS3, but the environments are simply not like the 2D art at all

first-look-ni-no-kuni-20080926074138272_640w.jpg

I find it really frustrating that 3DS could have two more amazing RPGs in Ni no Kuni and Bravely Default and none is actually confirmed for US/Europe

And gaming should not be frustrating :)

zroid

Banned
I guess you have a point, it is distinct in some ways :)

Well L5 has gone on record saying the main reason they couldn't take strides to localize the DS version is the book made it prohibitively expensive.

Leynos

For beautiful 2D artwork, WayForward always does great work: Shantae, Contra 4, Aliens, Thor, Batman, etc.

It's been mentioned already, but I will take every opportunity to pimp out Soul Bubbles. So beautiful.

nasos_333

I guess you have a point, it is distinct in some ways :)

Well L5 has gone on record saying the main reason they couldn't take strides to localize the DS version is the book made it prohibitively expensive.

They could just provide the book online, i think they just dont want to do that or compete with PS3 version maybe

For beautiful 2D artwork, WayForward always does great work: Shantae, Contra 4, Aliens, Thor, Batman, etc.

It's been mentioned already, but I will take every opportunity to pimp out Soul Bubbles. So beautiful.

Indeed, Shantae 2 3DS is now top in my to get list and i just bought Shantae 1 a few hours ago :)

Amazing art indeed

I am so glad this is not another Japan only title :)

Soul Bubbles is a really unique game with beautiful art. Solatorobo has some lovely artwork as well.

I also really like the 2D artwork in the Etrian Odyssey games, but that might depend on your tolerance level for animu.

Soul Bubbles is lovely, adding it :), thanks

soul-bubbles-screens-20080611104456481-2430139_640w.jpg

Can i buy it online from 3DS store ?

urfe

I bet Ni no Kuni DS would still sell well in the US. Nintendo should pick it up themselves (besides that hurting their 3DS sales).

I just came here to say- as a person with a Japanese 3DS who recently downloaded Bravely Default- that the game is one of the prettiest things ever. In a town map, whenever you don't touch a button, the screen zooms out to see the entire area, and it looks like a beautiful painting.

@MUWANdo

Banned
Indeed, Shantae 2 3DS is now top in my to get list and i just bought Shantae 1 a few hours ago :)

Risky's Revenge isn't "Shantae 1"--the original game was for Game Boy Color, and should arrive on the 3DS VC... eventually. It's one of the prettiest games on GBC, incidentally.

nasos_333

I bet Ni no Kuni DS would still sell well in the US. Nintendo should pick it up themselves (besides that hurting their 3DS sales).

I just came here to say- as a person with a Japanese 3DS who recently downloaded Bravely Default- that the game is one of the prettiest things ever. In a town map, whenever you don't touch a button, the screen zooms out to see the entire area, and it looks like a beautiful painting.

This post is just killing me :)

I will take a few minutes to repost the petition for US release to 10 different forums :)

BTW, is there any way to bypass the regional lock and buy/play BD from Japan store ?

Some stuff that hasn't been mentioned that is definitely worth checking out:

Contact - DS

Simple, clean style; interesting game:

Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan - DS

Fantastic music/rhythm game, an easy import if you don't know Japanese:

Moero! Nekketsu Rhythm Damashii Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan 2 - DS

The sequel:

Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime - DS

It was mentioned, but it's really worth playing. Fantastic Dragon Quest art and wonderful gameplay:

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland - DS

Quirky game with great art, PAL/JP only:

Metal Slug 7 - DS

...it's Metal Slug:

Elite Beat Agents - DS

NOA's revamped Ouendan for the North American market:

nasos_333

Just got Colors 3D, what a great app, i cant have enough of looking at all the 3D paintings :)

3DS is such an amazing device, it is one of the most exiting purshases i have made in years

I will also buy Dragon Quest Heroes: Rocket Slime, seems great

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Paper Mario,

Mighty Switch Force

Mutant Mudds

Aliens Infestation/Contra IV for some old style 2d

Baron

B002KA20C4_img01.jpg

Alice in Wonderland for the DS has a really neat style to it. Bought it but haven't played it yet.

Tain

I would avoid Metal Slug 7. It's one of the uglier 2D games I've played, thanks to most of the visuals being downscaled versions of existing assets.

Metal Slug XX, an updated version on XBLA and PSP, looks good, though. Moreso on PSP than XBLA due to a forced HQ2X-style filter on the XBLA version.

Shion

Hotel Dusk & Last Window

PT7Lq.jpg

Beautiful art, great music, memorable cast of characters and a very good script.

Probably my favorite games on the DS.

Top Bottom