• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered has gone gold!

Found another OT title.

From another thread, this post is full of OTable lines

PlayStation 4, where everything is old-gen with a coat of paint. Seriously annoyed with all the ports, where are the original games? I know people will come at me with pitchforks because TLOU is a great game, it will look even better now, but come on, I didn't pay for a console to play games I already completed on PS3.

The Last of Us Remastered |OT| Where everything is old-gen with a coat of paint
The Last of Us Remastered |OT| Where are the original games?
The Last of Us Remastered |OT| I didn't pay for a console to play games I already completed

velociraptor

Same game, but:

- uprezzed from 720p to 1080p
- jump from 30 to 60fps
- better antialiasing
- better models
- better textures
- better world assets where avaiable [those that were made for PS3 cinematics are not integrated into playable PS4 gameworld]
- better lightning/particles/blur/other effects
- faster load times

There is absolutely no proof any of that is true.

Corto

tumblr_mi4os7ra6d1rgptc3o1_400.gif

tumblr_mlb51zqI8k1qk9fero1_500.gif

Garland7G

That's not gold. The employees aren't allowed to go home yet.

Some of you guys seem a bit confused on how the process works.
Let me explain.
When work begins on a new game, many revisions (builds) are made internally. These builds are what the dev-team and internal QA work on for years until the game is complete and all (most of) the bugs are fixed.
Once that is finished, a final build (gold) is made and sent to SCEA (or wherever they send them nowadays) for a 2 week (or so) final QA.
During this time Sony will check for things ranging from major game-breaking bugs to seeing if it works on a bunch of different TV's.
They even check if things like "press X to continue" actually have the correct button icons.
Ever wonder why every game has 'hints' during loading screens? I'm 99% sure its a quality requirement to keep parity between game software.
So even though it hasn't passed final SCEA QA doesn't mean anything, its still went gold. If it didn't, then they wouldn't even have bothered sending it off to SCEA.
Now, it could fail final QA and have to resubmit another gold...

Cyborg

Same game, but:

- uprezzed from 720p to 1080p
- jump from 30 to 60fps
- better antialiasing
- better models
- better textures
- better world assets where avaiable [those that were made for PS3 cinematics are not integrated into playable PS4 gameworld]
- better lightning/particles/blur/other effects
- added all DLC MP maps and DLC singleplayer expansion "Left Behind"
- faster load times
- $50

Are you sure? I would reconsider a few......

Corto

There is absolutely no proof any of that is true.

There's always value in being skeptical but in this case if you take an heuristic approach you have to agree that a better looking/better performing game is the reasonable expectation for TLOU remastered. Any other possibility is unreasonable considering that it will be released on better hardware, at confirmed higher resolution and frame rate. So, are you reasonable, or unreasonable?

velociraptor

There's always value in being skeptical but in this case if you take an heuristic approach you have to agree that a better looking/better performing game is the reasonable expectation for TLOU remastered. Any other possibility is unreasonable considering that it will be released on better hardware, at confirmed higher resolution and frame rate. So, are you reasonable, or unreasonable?

I have no reason to believe considering they're refusing to show footage for the game. It probably does run at 1080p60. But I doubt there are any other significant improvements; why keep so hush hush otherwise? Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is a good example of a Remastered edition done right although there is no telling what TLOU looks like on the PS4.

Kade

Some of you guys seem a bit confused on how the process works.
Let me explain.
When work begins on a new game, many revisions (builds) are made internally. These builds are what the dev-team and internal QA work on for years until the game is complete and all (most of) the bugs are fixed.
Once that is finished, a final build (gold) is made and sent to SCEA (or wherever they send them nowadays) for a 2 week (or so) final QA.
During this time Sony will check for things ranging from major game-breaking bugs to seeing if it works on a bunch of different TV's.
They even check if things like "press X to continue" actually have the correct button icons.
Ever wonder why every game has 'hints' during loading screens? I'm 99% sure its a quality requirement to keep parity between game software.
So even though it hasn't passed final SCEA QA doesn't mean anything, its still went gold. If it didn't, then they wouldn't even have bothered sending it off to SCEA.
Now, it could fail final QA and have to resubmit another gold...

Oh yeah?

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Thank you, could you take the other concerned trolls with you as well?

why? keep the hostility up, and bully the shit out of those people. Until they turn into one of you and start saying "Naughty Gods" and "TLOU" is the best game ever created. If not then they will just leave like me. Keep fighting the great battle. We are all proud.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Here's why I think they're maybe reluctant to release gameplay footage.

The differences outside of resolution and frame rate will be subtle. So low bit rate video will obscure those. Youtube can handle 1080p and now even 60fps (if people use the right browser) but at an insufficient bitrate to demonstrate all the enhancements. So their only option for promotional material that isn't compromised is to use Gamersyde or to host huge files on their servers for direct download. These options won't garner as large a viewership as a youtube video or a video on the PS blog so they aren't going to the trouble. They could link an HQ video on the PS blog, but maybe they think the filesize will deter many from downloading it.
Maybe they'll put a high quality video on the PS store. Does that interface support 60fps content?

Kinyou

That's totally reasonable. I guess they are holding it as far as they can in hopes it maximizes its effect. Could work.
Maybe that's their approach, it would be kinda weird though since remasters tend to be advertised by showing off the differences and improvements.

this remake is literally going to be better than the x1 output this year
Unless you're a big Halo fan

thuway

I have no reason to believe considering they're refusing to show footage for the game. It probably does run at 1080p60. But I doubt there are any other significant improvements; why keep so hush hush otherwise? Tomb Raider Definitive Edition is a good example of a Remastered edition done right although there is no telling what TLOU looks like on the PS4.

A. Crystal Dynamics is not Naughty Dog.
B. Tomb Raider was made on multiple platforms, and the Remastered edition was ported to multiple platforms.
C. Naughty Dog is custom tailoring the entire Remaster to the PS4.

I'm excited because this should gave us a good baseline expectation of a Remaster. GTA V will have big shoes to fill.

velociraptor

Here's why I think they're maybe reluctant to release gameplay footage.

The differences outside of resolution and frame rate will be subtle. So low bit rate video will obscure those. Youtube can handle 1080p and now even 60fps (if people use the right browser) but at an insufficient bitrate to demonstrate all the enhancements. So their only option for promotional material that isn't compromised is to use Gamersyde or hosting huge files on their servers for direct download. These options won't garner as large a viewership as a youtube video or a video on the PS blog so they aren't going to the trouble.

Maybe they'll put a high quality video on the PS store. Does that interface support 60fps content?
eh, I don't think it would be subtle at all in Youtube format. If there are improvements, they'll be discernible.

The differences in Tomb Raider were huge. Also have a look at GTAV.

HardRojo

The hype for the Remaster is there, the preorders keep coming, it's been among Amazon's Best Sellers list and Naughty Dog and Sony seem pretty confident about this title.
They probably feel like no footage needs to be released until the last week, it's somewhat worrying I know but they've been confident on all fronts, especially on Twitter, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt and wait till they decide it's time to show footage.

Top Bottom