• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angry Joe Quantum Break Review.

Osahi

as i said before it was a way to stop a player progressing by having them do a (time rewind) like i said in my earlier post, ever game has these barriers Quantum Break is not on its own ill requote myself incase you missed it.

so in my opinion nope not bad game design.

Dude, it's not the fact they stop the player from shortcutting at that point. It's that they do it in an inconsistant way. They have a truck there that isn't climable, and then a van of roughly the same height that is. You should be able to climb the truck, as the van clearly shows that Jack can climb something of that height. But because Remedy doesn't want you to climb the truck you can't, while it would have made perfect sense to be able to.

There is nothing wrong with putting up barriers for the player to push him trough a level in a way the developer wants to. But good level design differences itself from bad by actually sticking to it's own rules and the abilities of the character. Good level design doesn't suddenly decide the character can't get over a small dumpster, while the next moment he climbs on top of a van over his hight.

QB's platform sections are full of this, and it is bad or at the least lazy level design.

EDIT:

There were maybe 2 times throughout the campaign where I felt I should have been able to climb something, but I couldnt. What platforming segments are you talking about? They're all really straight forward, there isnt much room to deviate.

I remember being very frustrated in the trainyard. I remember trying to climb the same truck as Joe. I remember trying to climb parts of the time machine when you need to activate it in one later chapter, while I actually needed to take another route.

The time fracture platform bits itself are pretty straightforward yes (and very lackluster imo). Didn't have any troubles there, except being not bored out of my mind.

Think the Angry joe name sometimes does him a disservice as people think hes just a gimmick. When infact if you watch a lot of his stuff hes very knowledgeable about a lot of different genres of games and is passionate about them. Don't think hes out to be controversial , just don't think he cares about peoples reaction . Which is a good thing .
If there's one genre I trust Angry Joe's opinion on wholeheartedly, it's strategy games. It's the ones he has the most passion for and loves to do interviews with devs because he knows it's a very underserved genre on Youtube gaming. I don't keep up with this genre so it's nice when he highlights them, like Battlefleet Gothic Armada.

wildfire

Banned
Think the Angry joe name sometimes does him a disservice as people think hes just a gimmick. When infact if you watch a lot of his stuff hes very knowledgeable about a lot of different genres of games and is passionate about them. Don't think hes out to be controversial , just don't think he cares about peoples reaction . Which is a good thing .

The angryjoe moniker fit with his earliest material. Partially he's mellowed out with experience but frankly I also think the games he chooses to review these days have also influenced the end result. Hard to be angry consistently when the percentage of good games you reviewed increased from 10% to 40%

Gxgear

Who truly supposes that a 5/10 is average, though? It's always been like that. I sometimes see the "5 out of 10 is not shit, it's average" argument in review threads, but let's face it: it just isn't perceived that way except for edge casers. Name me one person who goes on MC or OC, sees an aggregate of 50/100, and says, "I really should check that game out."

If the reviewer explicitly tells you (which Angry Joe does), it doesn't really matter what you perceive it as. He's not there to adhere the American grading scale or to reinforce MC scores.

I don't think anyone can claim it is not enjoyable - even Joe himself recommends buying it when on sale - but, for me, it is not the classic I was expecting, particularly as I consider nigh on all of Remedy's back catalogue as legendary status.

This. It's a mediocre game with some cool parts. It's not up there with ANY of Remedy's previous games in my book. Max Payne 1 & 2, Alan Wake were all great games that I replayed multiple times and enjoyed each and every time. I bought MP 1&2 and Alan Wake(and all the DLC) multiple times across many different platforms(PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, PC), but this game..Just boring. The shooting is what disappoints me the most, I expected more from Remedy and they just did not deliver.

They did deliver on the story aspect. I really enjoyed the story, but that's about it.

Vinland

Banned
He's there to drive subscriptions.

And you desperately want to drive this opinion home.

See what I did there?

His job is as a critic and streamer. He obviously wants to reach his viewer demographic and at the same time bring in more to replenish the ranks that drop off and even more to offset it. That is the point of any producer of any product ever in the history of man. If you cannot have, do not have , or will not have a captive audience then this is the nature of most companies.

What conclusion you are trying to push is that because you feel he misrepresents something you like you are willing to use the obvious, such as his producing a show, with a conspiracy to manipulate his success rate.

I've kinda heard enough from you to be honest. His viewer ship is completely optional. It does not behoove him to patronize his viewership and make them feel like monkeys. The ironing is that you too are trying to maintain a position here in this thread as if we are your captive audience and echo chamber. Sweet jeebus the irony. Or is it jealousy. I honestly can't tell anymore.

Top Bottom