• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Stellaris |OT| Imperium Universalis

How does this compare to something like endless space?

Endless Space is a 4x from start to finish, Stellaris is a 4x in the early game for expansion specifically but evolves into a grand strategy from mid to late game. Probably the closest game at that point to compare is their Europa Universalis series. Grand strategies are fundamentally different from 4x like Civilization or Endless Space. You deal with more aspects on a grander scale, you plan for policies that will last and shape your empire/government for a long time, you play at ultimately a different level of strategy just like a Civilization game is played at a different level of strategy than a RTS.

For example Paradox's historical grand strategies, you can't just declare war, you need a casus belli for war (a justification for war), such as rights to land that you don't control, etc (and you can use other aspects for creating faux "justifications" like fabricating lies in Crusader Kings 2). While Stellaris doesn't have a casus belli (wouldn't make sense, not a historical simulation and this isn't on Earth), it still does have a "War Goal" system. These are your goals for the war that must be declared, since it's important for diplomacy/peace negotiation regarding the war.

Where games like Endless Space and Civilization is simply about extermination/conquest in terms of war, in grand strategies you use wars strategically since you can utilise treaties and peace negotiation for specific strategic outcomes, you use it for vassalisation, subjugation, treaties, etc, it's not always about extermination/conquest, which 4x games usually only allow. For example, just because you occupy an enemy's planet doesn't make it yours, it needs to be fully "yours" through the negotiation process for ending the war. There is no such thing as simply capturing/bombarding a planet and it automatically being yours. It's simply that the game's strategy is modeled on a different level (I don't mean this in the way that Civ/Endless Space are bad games, not at all, just that they have fundamental design differences like a RTS does to Civilization).

Also, you don't specifically "control" each and every planet/sector like 4x games do, grand strategies introduce things such as vassals/governors, characters that you have to run them, and this opens up a different level of where you now must engage with. The people that live in these areas, over time can also change from ideologies/identities of your main empire and you must deal with conflicts that arise. The game is not like other 4x where your empire is only one race, you incorporate other races into it, they have their own identities/ideologies, and those can change and influence others. This also enables factions to form as well if they become unhappy/incompatible with the empire and they can essentially cause civil war when they want to be independent. AFAIK, sector governors/vassals can't demand independence directly from you but from what I remember a dev saying, that's something that'll come with an expansion since it needs its own set of mechanics.

Also, the games are in real time, but basically in the background each day is a "turn", you can pause though.

Hopefully that gives a better indication, you can try read up on Europa Universalis: IV as well, I find it quite difficult to explain the grand strategy genre. There is an archive of all the dev diaries up to this point (32) if you want to read more about the game: https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/index.php?threads/stellaris-developer-diary-archive.882950/

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Fuck me this is so daunting of a game. Halp.

DBT85

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
Will be easier to do that tomorrow. Perhaps a stream would be interesting?

For sure, I've watched a bit of the Giant Bomb one yesterday, I really really wanna play it but like I said in the other thread, I'm not super familiar with these kind of games so I'm a bit nervous :)

But I'm going all in anyway : Overwatch for the immediate fast action packed fun and Stellaris for the slower, more mellow and chill sessions that can go on for a long time. I think I'm set for quite a while with those two, especially Stellaris which will suit my
shit
work hours pretty well I think.

Are you gonna do a streaming ?

I highly recommend Quills Lets Play from the Pre release Loads of info to pick up from there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9TI9tzLD8WQ&list=PLs3acGYgI1-sMt6B-eD7xWgIFAkm223pK

Bookmarked, cheers !

EDIT : oh yeah I saw that article posted on the other thread yesterday, great read. Stellaris definitely seems more accessible than their other games so I should be fine.

aravuus

Holy shit, I didn't know this was coming out already

Shame I'm gonna have to wait a week or two before I have the time to play it

Dehimos

Neo Member
Service guarantees citizenship.

w9REVeU.jpg

For sure, I've watched a bit of the Giant Bomb one yesterday, I really really wanna play it but like I said in the other thread, I'm not super familiar with these kind of games so I'm a bit nervous :)

The most important thing with a game like this is you have to be prepared to fail. That mindset is actually a lot harder to achieve than it seems.

You will fail your first couple of games, miserably and that is daunting. But you need to allocate those couple of nights to getting completely destroyed. After spending that time failing, you will wrap your head around things through repetition and really get into it.

It doesn't take long and then you'll be away.

Around 1900 CEST. Ultimately Steam/Valve's decision, so Paradox couldn't give us a precise answer.

Is that 19:00 CEST today (Sunday)? That would be awesome. I watched the Quick Look for this game and I rarely get excited for games, but I am excited for this. I bought CK2 and played maybe two hours of it but this game looks like it's easier to get into. Also, I really like sci-fi settings.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
The most important thing with a game like this is you have to be prepared to fail. That mindset is actually a lot harder to achieve than it seems.

You will fail your first couple of games, miserably and that is daunting. But you need to allocate those couple of nights to getting completely destroyed. After spending that time failing, you will wrap your head around things through repetition and really get into it.

It doesn't take long and then you'll be away.

I see what you mean, that sounds like a good advice, one which I'm sure I won't have a hard time actually realising :)

I was considering it the other day seeing as there were a lot of newcomers in the other thread.

shia_do_it.gif

squall23

I feel like this is the space game that would make sense for anime mods. I don't know why but the first thing I thought of when I first read about the game was "somebody's going to make a Race to build Gunbuster mod" right? Or an Ideon is hidden in one of these planets mod.

Uzzy

I feel like this is the space game that would make sense for anime mods. I don't know why but the first thing I thought of when I first read about the game was "somebody's going to make a Race to build Gunbuster mod" right? Or an Ideon is hidden in one of these planets mod.

I expect some Bodacious Space Pirates to get modded in fairly quickly.

Is that 19:00 CEST today (Sunday)? That would be awesome. I watched the Quick Look for this game and I rarely get excited for games, but I am excited for this. I bought CK2 and played maybe two hours of it but this game looks like it's easier to get into. Also, I really like sci-fi settings.
Tomorrow. Sadly. Just over 1 day left!

GMG still hasn't given me my key.
Not that it matters, considering that there will be no preload, but still.

I'm waiting on that same boat, although I've never had issue with GMG in the past so I am not too worried on the delivery front. Although I do hope all the pre-order content goes through okay.

Shaldome

Yay OT! A bit more then 24 hours remaining. Plans for tomorrow: grab my new ID from the city office, grab my new glasses at the optician and grab enough food and drink as I can at the grocery, so that I do not have to leave the house for a few days. Then I will make me something to eat and start watching the Paradox stream up to release.

mcz117chief

Me and More_Badass had a lot of fun making this OT :)

This was my first OT (as a collaborator) so I was super excited to work on this and I am glad you guys like it.

Happy conquering :)

What portraits are people thinking for their first forays? Pretty sure Space Parrots are the way for me

I will just go with the classic Hunams :)

Can't believe that OT won over Make Space Great Again and Fellowships of the Ringworld

ZncZhrn.png

We decided to make a serious, non joke, OT so the OT title should reflect that.

Geist-

It's sad, I've tried to play Paradox's other grand strategy games, but this might be the first to hold my attention simply because it's a unique space civilization I design instead of a preexisting nation.

So excited for tomorrow.

Aiii

So not worth it
What portraits are people thinking for their first forays? Pretty sure Space Parrots are the way for me:
http://www.stellariswiki.com/images/2/25/Avian_massive_15.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.stellariswiki.com/images/4/47/Avian_massive_16.png

This one.

Top Bottom