• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon : Wildlands Open Beta Impressions.

leng jai

It's almost impressive how bland this is, everything is just mediocre with no real stand out aspects. In its current state I can't see how anyone would buy this when we have Horizon, Zelda, ME3, Nier etc coming out unless you really just want to play a co-op shooter.

I really enjoy it with friends.

Shrug.

I think this will be the big thing.

I'm reading comments from people saying it's dull and boring and then saying they're playing alone. Now, dull and boring it may indeed be, but really, what did you expect from a game that has been marketed from the very beginning as a co-op open world shooter.

PVP was confirmed a few months ago by Ubi. PVP is usually the main component of tactical shooter, and yet with the game releasing in a few days nobody has any idea what PVP will consist of. Seems like a poor decision by Ubi. I don't think they are going to get many sales if the game is just a co-op open world shooter.

Here's hoping the online component is a real tactical shooter experience and not some fill 50 people in a room and have them kill eachother and drive vehicles into eachother garbage.

I dont know how anyone can "hope" that a PVP mode will be anything other than a similar feel to the main game or a carbon copy of the deathmatch modes in GTA Online.

You are gonna need to source your confirmation of PVP being in this game as ive been following the games development closely since it was announced and the closest i recall them to confirming this was a statement saying "we will have info at a later date" only a few months ago.

Tovarisc

The AI alone makes this a gigantic pass, its just not fun when every single enemy you face is an idiot. And what makes it worse is if you get detected everyone from fucking Chile to Australia knows where you are. Absolutely ridiculous.

What level design? Lol, a bunch of scattered bullet gallery towns and barren land as far as the eye can see (which in the case of WL is damn impressive, props for that) And the shooting is not better than the Division, they are both equally average. And that input lag, holy crap.

AI isn't idiot tho, but k.

I imagine with level design he mostly refers to design of enemies bases and strongholds, which is legit. Devs don't pigeon hole you into single style and angle of approach, but you are allowed to come up with routing and tactic when approaching situation. Just because game is set in more... barren region of the world instead of major city or made up funpark with something to fiddle every 5m it doesn't make "level design" bad.

Input lag? At least on PC there is none.

One other thing I'd like to add that I really like is the character customization. Lots of good options, without being overwhelming.

I suspect we get some more options in final version. I love it how you can swap clothing etc. on the field too so you don't get locked in character creator. Even facial features remain "unlocked".

Edit: I really must be playing different game than majority of people in this thread. There is huge disconnect between my experiences in game and what majority is saying...

Giganteus

This is a fascinating game for me, thus far. It really encapsulates, for me, what not to do when you make an open world game, or a game in general. I don't have much of a problem with the land vehicle controls, though. I also like some of the customization of your appearance. The shooting feels alright, but the graphics I'm a bit disappointed in, etc, etc.

But my biggest problem with this game, is it almost feels like they tried to make it as close to the Ubisoft formula as possible, without taking that formula and refining it in any meaningful way at all. They did nothing to stand out. At all. This game almost comes across as something that robots made, not humans. It's technically not bad, but it's heartless, almost a cynical, "Listen, let's just do this by the book to make some money" sort of thing.

I get the sense they focused a lot on building a huge open world, then they had to figure how to make that world engaging and interesting, and they just never figured it out, because they couldn't find more interesting stuff to create than what we've already seen in other games... So they just went with the shallow stuff. Really vanilla stuff. But even then, it could have an interesting tone and atmosphere, an interesting story (IMO), ANY hook to make you think it had a layer over the top of the shallow stuff, to keep you going. For me, it absolutely doesn't.

It doesn't even have to break away from the formula, just do some interesting stuff around it, but I haven't seen that, yet.

I hate games like this, games that feel like soulless, cynical husks. Not broken, not terrible, with several okay things you could point to if you need to defend it, but underneath, it's a shallow husk. AI made this thing.

Apocryphon

Game is awful. Gameplay is boring, it looks and feels dated, the physics are pathetic, and the AI is virtually non-existent.

I wanted something that would feel like GRAW 2's co-op campaign but this falls short for me. It's just so dull...

juventino

Banned
This is a fascinating game for me, thus far. It really encapsulates, for me, what not to do when you make an open world game, or a game in general. I don't have much of a problem with the land vehicle controls, though. I also like some of the customization of your appearance. The shooting feels alright, but the graphics I'm a bit disappointed in, etc, etc.

But my biggest problem with this game, is it almost feels like they tried to make it as close to the Ubisoft formula as possible, without taking that formula and refining it in any meaningful way at all. They did nothing to stand out. At all. This game almost comes across as something that robots made, not humans. It's technically not bad, but it's heartless, almost a cynical, "Listen, let's just do this by the book to make some money" sort of thing.

I get the sense they focused a lot on building a huge open world, then they had to figure how to make that world engaging and interesting, and they just never figured it out, because they couldn't find more interesting stuff to create than what we've already seen in other games... So they just went with the shallow stuff. Really vanilla stuff. But even then, it could have an interesting tone and atmosphere, an interesting story (IMO), ANY hook to make you think it had a layer over the top of the shallow stuff, to keep you going. For me, it absolutely doesn't.

It doesn't even have to break away from the formula, just do some interesting stuff around it, but I haven't seen that, yet.

I hate games like this, games that feel like soulless, cynical husks. Not broken, not terrible, with several okay things you could point to if you need to defend it, but underneath, it's a shallow husk. AI made this thing.
This is how i feel exactly. I'm baffled that Ubisoft is making their biggest open world yet so incredibly bland. You would think that after the heavy promotion and the obvious high budget that went into making this they would at least make it interesting. If this reviews badly (don't see how it can't at this point) and ends up tanking, Ubisoft have nothing to blame except their laziness

Joco

This game really is a steaming pile. The gunplay lacks any oomph and isn't satisfying at all, the dialogue is terrible, the world feels large but empty, vehicles feel awkward to handle... the list goes on.

Agree with the poster who said this feels like a game from 5 or more years ago.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Game is awful. Gameplay is boring, it looks and feels dated, the physics are pathetic, and the AI is virtually non-existent.

Agreed. The controls are bad, the open world feels like the standard "everything needs to be open world now" cliche, the characters are boring with bad animations, the story is badly told nonsense and the game is a buggy mess.

This is a bad game.

And to again comment on the bugs, this is all from last night:

- The sound effects randomly died on me, everything sounded muffled and I could only hear faint gun shots.

- When this happened, I was also no longer able to access the pause menu or the map. Nothing happened when I hit the buttons.

- I finally died. When I respawned, I could only move the camera around. I had to restart.

- My brother died shortly after and our friend went over to revive him. On my screen, our friend was kneeling over him for like 5 minutes "reviving" him. On his screen, he was running around collecting ammo, playing the game like normal, and my brother was standing up but with half of his body stuck in the ground. And on my brother's screen, he encountered the same "respawned but I can't move" bug.

deadlast

Two things I don't like about this game:
One, the driving mechanic is absolutely terrible.
Two, the character creator is cool but the voice acting doesn't fit the character I designed.

Dezzy

Bought a GTX 1070 for my wifes PC and chose this over For Honor for the free Ubisoft game. I messed up.

Edit: Then again, I didn't care for the For Honor beta either. The free game deal just sucked all around I guess. Maybe Wildlands will get fixed up with patches. I like the idea of the game at least.

Pantz

Impressions:
- Too many jokes, too often. (Maybe they're triggered by entering a new area which is all I was doing. If not, then yeah, too many).
- World is beautiful and cool to explore.
- AI of team and enemies is not that great.
- Children should not be invincible.
- Could have used some nudity.
- The world could have been better put to use as a survival zombie game or something.

All that said, I'll still buy it on Black Friday.

Zasa

Idk, I'm having a lot to fun playing co-op with my friends, or in random lobbies with people that have mics. When you can coordinate attacks & flanks, etc, it's actually pretty decent.

Definitely not something I'd play solo though.

I would love too see some H1ZI King of the Hill PVP in this game. Would be glorious.

Edit: I agree about the gunplay not feeling satisfying enough. Just something that is all too common in third-person shooters apart from a select few (like Gears).

Carlius

Banned
I agree, reading all the negative impressions in this thread I feel like I'm playing a different game. I'm really enjoying it and can't wait for the full game. I will say though that I love open world games and have no problem with the Ubi style of open world that so many people seem to hate.

i hated the beta and i see why people are complaining, i bought it just now cause i want to play it. i buy all of ubis game day 1 for some reason, something about their approach that i like. i have faith the game will get fixed with patches just like the division did and i absolutely love the division.

juventino

Banned
Impressions:
- Too many jokes, too often. (Maybe they're triggered by entering a new area which is all I was doing. If not, then yeah, too many).
- World is beautiful and cool to explore.
- AI of team and enemies is not that great.
- Children should not be invincible.
- Could have used some nudity.
- The world could have been better put to use as a survival zombie game or something.

All that said, I'll still buy it on Black Friday.

Lol, I think I'll pass on that Black Friday sale. Let me know when its free with a purchase of my favorite soft drink

forms

I think this will be the big thing.

I'm reading comments from people saying it's dull and boring and then saying they're playing alone. Now, dull and boring it may indeed be, but really, what did you expect from a game that has been marketed from the very beginning as a co-op open world shooter.

I don't see how friends would help fixing the abysmal ai , the useless cover mechanics or the absolutely horrendous heli controls. This is a Just Cause, without the fun from that title - and this from a player who didn't even enjoy Just cause that much.

The problem is that this "Ghost Recon" title is that you feel disconnected from the world.

I don't see how friends would help fixing the abysmal ai , the useless cover mechanics or the absolutely horrendous heli controls. This is a Just Cause, without the fun from that title - and this from a player who didn't even enjoy Just cause that much.

The problem is that this "Ghost Recon" title is that you feel disconnected from the world.
I was referring to the 'dull and boring' comments, as I said.

Pandy

I enjoyed the Open Beta. I found 'Advanced' to be the best balance between being punished for mistakes and having the chance to fix them, and I hope a friend or two will buy the full game with me to play through in co-op.

I understand comments about it being 'bland' and such. It's a little bit like The Division, a little bit like MGSV, a little bit like GTA Onine, a little bit like Just Cause, etc.

At the same time though, it's combining the right bits of the right games to create something I can't get anywhere else. I wish it had more money/dev time to polish up the areas where it is lacking, but most of the problems I've had have been minor niggles. At the end of the day, it's as close to a co-op MGSV as I'm likely to get anytime soon.

My main concern is that it's going to be relatively short lived. It's a big map, but can be traversed quickly and many missions don't take long. PvP may address this if it is well designed.

I kinda hate the "it's fun with friends" reasoning. I can't really think of any game that can't be fun with friends. So, that isn't really that much of a compliment.

kendrid

Banned
The helicopter controls...WTF. Using a 360 controller on PC I'll be flying along and all of a sudden the choppers noise will be pointing up and I can't stop it. I can't shoot anything with any accuracy either.

The ground vehicles aren't great but aren't bad either. I laughed when I found that trucks can almost drive straight up mountains.

Auctopus

So, I played the Private Beta completely solo. Just going between missions and collectibles and getting on with the game - I can totally understand how that could get boring. Anyway, now the beta is open. Me and a friend teamed up together (no AI partners, just us two) and put the difficulty to Extreme.

It was an absolutle blast. Planning out on headset how we'd approach each base (seeing as 3-4 shots would down you) and then executing the plan feels really rewarding. Even the most pointless side mission to just get a bit of intel feels important when you've invested all the planning in to it.

I love the different feel the weather gives each mission. We were trying to blow up 4 mortar shells in a base with about 20 enemies just before dawn. At first it was raining so it was hard to spot enemies whilst using night-vision. But the base was below a mountain and as the sun rose, the camp was slowly lit as the sun appeared behind the peak, allowing us to pull off our plan. Just really fun - I wonder how it translates to 4 player co-op.

I understand that I'm in the minority for liking this game and I can understand how some people find it bland and boring but man, me and a mate really had fun.

Kalor

I played through the main missions in the first area and enjoyed it. I don't see myself buying the full game though, I could see it getting bland after a while unless they did something to changes things up. Although driving down hills and tumbling around will probably stay fun.

JayBabay

I played it in a full group with friends last night and it was really fun AND funny for a good 2 hours. After that everything felt very familiar and the hype died down. I don't think it will have legs, however it is a beautiful looking environment, besides the ground textures.

I kinda hate the "it's fun with friends" reasoning. I can't really think of any game that can't be fun with friends. So, that isn't really that much of a compliment.

It is a compliment when the game is getting panned by most people here. Merely pointing out that it can be fun, and that fun is most easily found when playing co op. It is more immersive, neutralises the dodgy allied AI, and improves other things by mere sociability.

As for vehicle controls, they are not perfect, but are you guys seriously struggling to get from A to B? Also, this feels to me like an open world deliberately NOT showered with icons. There are several things to find and do, but there are no limitations, no elongated searches or side mission chains. Each thing centres on combat in a particulat environ, and that is often enjoyable.

ironcreed

Banned
Jesus, this world is massive. Just went to the second area and my jaw dropped at the draw distance. Not the looks, but the sheer size. It's also fun as hell to ride a dirt bike around.

Option-

I enjoyed the Open Beta. I found 'Advanced' to be the best balance between being punished for mistakes and having the chance to fix them, and I hope a friend or two will buy the full game with me to play through in co-op.

I understand comments about it being 'bland' and such. It's a little bit like The Division, a little bit like MGSV, a little bit like GTA Onine, a little bit like Just Cause, etc.

At the same time though, it's combining the right bits of the right games to create something I can't get anywhere else. I wish it had more money/dev time to polish up the areas where it is lacking, but most of the problems I've had have been minor niggles. At the end of the day, it's as close to a co-op MGSV as I'm likely to get anytime soon.

My main concern is that it's going to be relatively short lived. It's a big map, but can be traversed quickly and many missions don't take long. PvP may address this if it is well designed.

Perfect description. It has something of everything, put into a huge open world with synchronized Co-Op Play and I like the effort from Ubi.

Samikaze

Still can't tell if the AI Team is terrible or amazing.

After my friends logged off I jumped into single player for a bit. I noticed them actively sneaking around and actually using concealment and cover as we marked targets.

We get into a fire fight and I tell them to open fire. They move up appropriately, sort of leap-frogging each other... And then don't actually kill anyone.

Later on we assaulted a small town so I could get a weapon upgrade. They killed everyone without me and don't get spotted.

Inconsistent as hell.

ironcreed

Banned
This game is like the size of The Crew, but it's in Bolivia and is a squad-based shooter with a lot of toys, skills and customization. I am not finding anything wrong with that, personally. It is not going to win any awards or light up the charts, but it is fun for what it is.

juventino

Banned
Perfect description. It has something of everything, put into a huge open world with synchronized Co-Op Play and I like the effort from Ubi.

The only effort I see put into this game is into the map itself, everything else feels like copy/paste and call it a day. Its also sad that all that effort came out so incredibly bland, the world is just flat out boring

juventino

Banned
Infiltrating a town is awesome. Lots of open buildings and options. There is plenty of effort here if you look for it.

And if you read my post properly you'd see that I said all the effort went into the world building. Too bad it turned out so meh. Its seriously all they focused on, so much so that the focus of their promotion has been "its the biggest open world we've ever built". That's cool and all, but what about everything else that makes up the game?

ironcreed

Banned
And if you read my post properly you'd see that I said all the effort went into the world building. Too bad it turned out so meh. Its seriously all they focused on, so much so that the focus of their promotion has been "its the biggest open world we've ever built". That's cool and all, but what about everything else that makes up the game?

Well, there are missions everywhere in different regions that are clearly going to have different challenges and activities, loads of skills to unlock and some fantastic customization. Considering all of that and the size of the playground, plenty of folks are going to have a blast in co-op. Hell, I even think it is great solo. It actually is sort of an ARMA-lite in some ways, but without the sterile and convoluted design of a sim.

juventino

Banned
Well, there are missions everywhere in different regions that are clearly going to have different challenges and activities, loads of skills to unlock and some fantastic customization. Considering all of that and the size of the playground, plenty of folks are going to have a blast in co-op. Hell, I even think it is great solo. It actually is sort of an ARMA-lite in some ways, but without the sterile and convoluted design of a sim.

But with that terrible AI and awful gameplay, where is the fun? This game could use a delay of another 6 months at least to make it halfway decent

Varg

Banned
Before I download on pc , is there a regular multiplayer mode like in all the other ghost recons ? (Pvp)

Tovarisc

But with that terrible AI and awful gameplay, where is the fun? This game could use a delay of another 6 months at least to make it halfway decent

You are hellbent on convincing everyone that this game sucks badly somehow, aren't you?Friendly AI could do with some work, but hostile AI is dangerous. Gameplay also doesn't really suck, but they could touch up cover system tad more.

I was gonna download the beta, then thought to look over the Gaf thread. I'll pass on it.

If I had used GAF threads on WL's closed and open beta as accurate representation of games quality I would have missed out.

Before I download on pc , is there a regular multiplayer mode like in all the other ghost recons ? (Pvp)

Apparently coming post-launch.

Varg

Banned
You are hellbent on convincing everyone that this game sucks badly somehow, aren't you?Friendly AI could do with some work, but hostile AI is dangerous. Gameplay also doesn't really suck, but they could touch up cover system tad more.

If I had used GAF threads on WL's closed and open beta as accurate representation of games quality I would have missed out.

Hell no, not falling for that . That shit should have been in at launch .

ironcreed

Banned

Turn the difficulty up and go to the second region. It's plenty tough. The first area is cake on purpose, just to ease you into the game. But hey, if you still hate it, you hate it. To each their own.

As for me? I happen to think it's a good time with some great atmosphere, and that it has a lot more to it under the surface that people will begin to discover after it's out, have leveled up and seen more of the world.

juventino

Banned

Hostile AI is fucking awful. Not to mention the hive mentality of if you're spotted everyone in Bolivia knows exactly where you are. And the gameplay is absolutely a mess. Like i said before, gunplay is serviceable and feels fine, but everything else is just downright bad. The planes, the cars, the helis, even the fucking boats feel off. Barebones as fuck "tactical" instructions for AI (if you're playing solo) I mean wow, I must be going crazy here for not seeing what you are seeing in this game

Please enlighten on how this adds up to good gameplay.

juventino

Banned
Turn the difficulty up and go to the second region. It's plenty tough. The first area is cake on purpose, just to ease you into the game. But hey, if you still hate it, you hate it. To each their own.

As for me? I happen to think it's a good time with some great atmosphere, and that it has a lot more to it under the surface that people will begin to discover after it's out, have leveled up and seen more of the world.

How do you know that? I feel like I'm in the fucking twilight zone that you don't see the glaring errors of this game

r3n4ud

How do you know that? I feel like I'm in the fucking twilight zone that you don't see the glaring errors of this game
Christ sakes man, let it go. Just because people's opinions don't line up with yours doesn't give you the right to attack them.

ironcreed

Banned
Hostile AI is fucking awful. Not to mention the hive mentality of if you're spotted everyone in Bolivia knows exactly where you are. And the gameplay is absolutely a mess. Like i said before, gunplay is serviceable and feels fine, but everything else is just downright bad. The planes, the cars, the helis, even the fucking boats feel off.

Please enlighten on how this adds up to good gameplay

Did you attack Unidad patrols (purple icons on the map)? I learned the hard way that they are pretty much like cops in GTA with a star system. The more you attack, the harder it is. You have to find a vehicle and escape. Just stick to fighting the cartel and Unidad will sometimes even help fight them, but you still have to steer clear.

ironcreed

Banned

Because there are a lot of skills, missions, activities and regions we have not seen. As for the atmosphere? Well, I am playing it and enjoy the views and the effects, such as storms and such.

I never said it was perfect and I don't even expect it to get great reviews. But whether you believe it or not, it does have qualities that some of us think are quite nice and we will have a good time with it. I guess that it is just not your cup of tea, man. That's okay.

Top Bottom