• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Some NieR: Automata Players Upset After Discovering Trash Item Called “NIN64”

This really seems like an oversight to me. I would hazard a guess that that exact description is used for multiple items (probably any "dud" that you get when fishing. It's a common thing in games with fishing systems).

In the case that it's a unique message and nothing else is called "trash," than yeah I guess it's kind of tasteless, but also whatever.

mclem

Out of interest, is this an isolated item, or are there a stream of things you can fish up that satirise consumer culture? In the context of Nier's world, there's nothing wrong with a character interpreting a 90's console as worthless trash in that environment, but it would seem downright weird if that's the only thing that you can fish up there.

(It'd also be weird how many of them you catch. Or is the fishing hole right above the archaeological remains of a Super Potato?)

Alrus

I was expecting like 5 people complaining on Twitter (because it's often the case in that kind of articles) but Square is apparently changing it? Wut?

It's a nice reference, I don't see the harm.

PillarEN

This will not be in the Switch version

This is never coming to the Switch anyways.
But if it does Nintendo dresses for the main character pls.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Nintendo 64 is trash /now/ comparatively, but you know what? It'll still fucking work.

Mine "fell" off a third story balcony and still worked. Nintendo 64 don't give a FUCK.

That said, it looks like a rocket launcher, as KHLover says.

There's two things that would survive a Nuclear War.

Cockroaches and Nintendo Products.

Baleoce

The N64 is probably my most cherished and played console and I have very fond memories of it growing up.

Yet to me, this is hilarious.

I'm incredibly offended, and will be boycotting this game unless Yoko Taro comes out and makes a formal apology to Nintendo for this outrageous dishonor.

His first step will be to ask the fanbase to download and zip-up all the complaints for convenience so he only has one file to look through.

If i was him i'd rename another existing junk item to "NIN64" every time someone cries about it until the entire junk inventory is "NIN64" :)

fvng

I didn't like the N64 either. PS1 library took a giant dump on N64's dozen good games. I hope it is a deliberate jab at N64

its obviously not a jab at N64, but I wish it was

I err...

why would someone get affected by this?

mmm... I guess I could see people getting affected by this, but makes no sense imo

mike6467

I wasn't thrilled when I found one either. Go get Blast Corps and make the best of the situation like everyone else.

HeatBoost

thats a silly thing to change

although i guess square wouldn't want any heat from nintendo, a frequent business partner and a company not traditionally known for their sense of humor

anigif_original-grid-image-23636-1432907553-15.gif

Lol @ people losing their minds about this.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Is it really that bad? It could be a joke about how Nintendo hardware lasts forever, and it's not surprising that 29834729834 years later it would be unrecognizable trash.

Eumi

But... it is trash?

Like, literally. I doubt the correct outlets even exist in the Nier universe anymore.

It's a pretty funny joke tbh but In a post apocalyptic world literally every video game console would be trash , most things that aren't a neccisity for basic survival would be considered trash , especially so far in the future . Or maybe im just over thinking it 😂

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
"Mom, there's a trash item in Nier, called NIN64. Can you believe that!? How dare they"

It is trash. It's broken. In the water. In the future. If it was a Playstation it'd be trash too, or a gamecube, or a dreamcast. Things beyond repair are trash.

Top Bottom