• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Japan Travel |OT| One does simply not visit just once

TripAdvisor Top 30 Attractions in Japan by International Travelers 2017 list:
http://tg.tripadvisor.jp/news/ranking/inboundattraction_2017/

Fushimi Inari Shrine has won 4 years in a row :p
I only went to 2 places on that list, 2 & 18 ._. I'll try and fix that in October.

As for Ghibli, I was kinda let down by the place, it was nice and all, the movie I saw was cool and I loved the Laputa Robot at the top. But honestly it didn't really do it for me and I love Ghibli movies :/ I found better Ghibli merch at the various Ghibli stores and I felt the Osuma Tezuka Museum out in Osaka was way better.

I found better Ghibli merch at the various Ghibli stores

Speaking of which that was just one of many things that surprised me the first time I came to Tokyo (and Japan). There are so many Ghibli stores. The Ghibli store at Tokyo Station has the most amazing figurines and the store in Asakusa has some really well-crafted merch as well.

I'm not really a huge Ghibli fan but I love how Japan is covered by niche stores like such.

I'm going to be in Tokyo on culture day (Nov 3rd) and i have no idea what to do that day. Are all the stores closed? What kind of things are there to do that day?

Noting in particular should be closed. Some museums might have free entrance and there might be some local/school festivals going on. Not much else.

Gero

My plan is to travel to Japan after the 2020 Olympics because by then I should have enough money saved up (just a college student). Should Nov/Dec or Mar/Apr be good times to visit?

But very busy?

Every month is busy now :p

X0PnMbt.png

http://online.jtbusa.com/branch/newyork.aspx

You still order it online I guess, just pick it up there :p

Thanks dude! Some of these are super close to my office. Awesome.

I was thinking of climbing Mt. Fuji but I'll be arriving at the end of August, near the end of climbing season. However, it seems like I'll need to put aside at least 2 days to comfortably ascend and descend and I'm thinking of putting it off until next time. I only have 6 days for this trip anyways and theres a lot of stuff that I want to see!

Does anybody know the broadcast schedule or turnaround time on produced segments for "Tonight Nazotore" produced by Fuji TV?

I was interviewed on the street for this show and signed a waiver as well this morning and was trying to ask the photographer when it was going to air. He wasn't able to give me an exact date.

Is this online somewhere where I can look for it later? I have a feeling I'll be back home before it airs. Just interested in seeing what the final product is.

Thanks!

Does anybody know the broadcast schedule or turnaround time on produced segments for "Tonight Nazotore" produced by Fuji TV?

I was interviewed on the street for this show and signed a waiver as well this morning and was trying to ask the photographer when it was going to air. He wasn't able to give me an exact date.

Is this online somewhere where I can look for it later? I have a feeling I'll be back home before it airs. Just interested in seeing what the final product is.

Thanks!

How long are you in Japan for? It most likely won't air anytime soon, and as a variety quiz show, there is honestly no telling when they will use your segment or how long it is/how its used. Airs on Tuesday from what I can see at around 7pm Japan time.

今夜はナゾトレ

is the name of the show. Just googling it made some usual youtube uploads pop up (these are not official, low quality and maybe have reversed video/distorted audio to make it last longer before a takedown, if one gets issued at all, Japan broadcasters and media are bad at this usually which is good for rewatching stuff...also bad at reairing things lol)

Maybe looking for the newest upload each week is your best bet lol.

Triteon

I cant go to Japan In August now, I got a temporary promotion through to December.

Kind of a bummer but I guess its for the best in the long run.

How long are you in Japan for? It most likely won't air anytime soon, and as a variety quiz show, there is honestly no telling when they will use your segment or how long it is/how its used. Airs on Tuesday from what I can see at around 7pm Japan time.

今夜はナゾトレ

is the name of the show. Just googling it made some usual youtube uploads pop up (these are not official, low quality and maybe have reversed video/distorted audio to make it last longer before a takedown, if one gets issued at all, Japan broadcasters and media are bad at this usually which is good for rewatching stuff...also bad at reairing things lol)

Maybe looking for the newest upload each week is your best bet lol.

Thanks for the info and the YouTube find. I'm only here til Saturday so no chance of possibly seeing if I make the cut on Tuesday. I'll check online and see if it's ever posted. I used to work in tv in the states so I'm well aware of things getting edited or cut.

Only able to visit Tokyo on this trip but what a wonderful country. Great city!!

Cairnsay

Banned
Hi guys!

Going to Tokyo for the first time in September (4th to be exact). Really looking forward to it. Was hoping someone could help me out with some general weather information. Obviously September is just outside of Summer, however I am assuming I should still pack with idea that it will be pretty hot? Internet seems to suggest average for that time of year is ~20 degrees c? For a guy from Newcastle (UK) that's easily shorts and a t-shirt at all times weather.

Does it cool down a little in the evening time?

Hi guys!

Going to Tokyo for the first time in September (4th to be exact). Really looking forward to it. Was hoping someone could help me out with some general weather information. Obviously September is just outside of Summer, however I am assuming I should still pack with idea that it will be pretty hot? Internet seems to suggest average for that time of year is ~20 degrees c? For a guy from Newcastle (UK) that's easily shorts and a t-shirt at all times weather.

20 degrees C is the low point (in the last couple of years in the first half of Sept), and it can get as hot as low 30s during the day :p

danowat

Banned
Hi guys!

From Japan Guide

September

Tokyo
27 C (81 F) Average Daytime High
21 C (70 F) Average Nighttime Low

Rainy/Snowy Days
35% Early Month
40% Late Month

Sunny Days
40% Early Month
35% Late Month

The typhoon season reaches its peak in August and September. Typhoons usually hit the coasts of Okinawa, Kyushu and Shikoku and cause strong rain and wind in wide parts or all of Japan for about two days. Luckily, typhoons are often followed by perfectly clear weather. The weather in September can still be quite hot and humid, but the crowds of August have mostly disappeared.

Tsukiji fish market will move after all then:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...s-relocation-possible-plan-return-five-years/

Tokyo Gov. Yuriko Koike announced Tuesday that the metropolitan government will relocate the famous Tsukiji fish market as planned but redevelop the original site in the future.

Koike said at a news conference that the metro government will return the market in some form to its current site in Tsukiji, making its move to the nearby waterfront area of Toyosu, in Koto Ward, a temporary relocation.

Koike also said the metro government will aim to redevelop the Tsukiji market area in the five years after the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Tuesday’s announcement comes after months of wrangling over a relocation project that was put on hold last year amid lingering soil and air pollution concerns at the new site, as well as swelling costs.

The Tsukiji wholesale market, known for its daily fish auctions, was originally scheduled to be moved to a newly built site in Toyosu last November. But Koike, who became governor in August, put the brakes on the project.

And possibly move back in 2025 or something :p

havokex

Has anyone done a tour group for climbing mount fuji? If so any specific group you would recommend or recommend against?

Looking online and most of them offer pretty much the same thing.

Has anyone done a tour group for climbing mount fuji? If so any specific group you would recommend or recommend against?

Looking online and most of them offer pretty much the same thing.

I can't imagine a tour would be worth it. Cost-wise, it'll run you like twice as much if you just get a bus and hut reservation on your own, and its not like the tour is going to take you anywhere unique. You take the trail up the mountain, you take the trail down the mountain.

So I finally had the time to manage and sift through the 52 GBs of pictures I took on my trip last month.

My photography skills is still super amateurish but I had lots of fun just taking photos.
I've got the album on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm32RrBr
It'd be nice if my album gets linked in the OP
onegai!!!

Some cool photos in there! I still need to edit all of my photos from my trip a couple weeks ago.

Be interested to see how May 17 tracks on that chart, we went in May, and it wasn't TOO busy, but still pretty busy.

Here we go:
http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...visitors-japan-reach-2-29-million-record-may/

The estimated number of foreign visitors to Japan reached 2,294,700 last month, up 21.2 percent from a year earlier, the highest number ever for the month of May, the Japan Tourism Agency said Wednesday.

The agency attributed the rise mainly to an 85 percent increase in the number of visiting South Koreans, to 558,900.

The number of foreign visitors was above 2 million people for the sixth consecutive month.

Visitors from China totaled 517,100, and those from Taiwan came to 407,500.

The number of overseas tourists in the first five months of this year was 11,410,700, up 17.3 percent from the same period a year ago.

So Duolingo just released a Japanese course and it sucks. I have no idea what I'm trying to accomplish or what I'm even doing. Its just having me match sounds with letters then numbers come out of nowhere. Like, some context of whats what would be nice.

At this point I think I should just take Japanese at my local community college.

So Duolingo just released a Japanese course and it sucks. I have no idea what I'm trying to accomplish or what I'm even doing. Its just having me match sounds with letters then numbers come out of nowhere. Like, some context of whats what would be nice.

At this point I think I should just take Japanese at my local community college.

Download Memrise. Easily the best app for learning languages. I've used it for both Chinese and Japanese.

Raw64life

It's been out for a while. It's more for practicing than it is for learning. It's certainly not a textbook replacement.

Well, how long are you staying and how much data you want?

I'm going to be in Japan for 20 days from the 11th to 31st of july. I'm thinking atleast 5 gbs just for social media and google maps (other than having the offline downloade maps) the rest I ca get on through wifi.

So my parents are gonna be stopping over Haneda airport for 2 days in December. They wanna sightsee a little bit of Tokyo but don't want to carry their luggage out of the airport. Is there an option for them to store a couple of large boxes in the airport?

D

Deleted member 245925

Unconfirmed Member
I'm going to be in Japan for 20 days from the 11th to 31st of july. I'm thinking atleast 5 gbs just for social media and google maps (other than having the offline downloade maps) the rest I ca get on through wifi.

I've looked at this one for my trip: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

21 days, 5 GB, 34,800 yen

Not sure if there are cheaper options. There are some other links in the OP.

I've looked at this one for my trip: http://www.bmobile.ne.jp/english/index.html

21 days, 5 GB, 34,800 yen

Not sure if there are cheaper options. There are some other links in the OP.

It's 3480 JPY, not 34800. :p

But yeah, that's probably the best option for 5GB.

donjezzy

Hi everyone,

Outta the blue I got invited to go to Japan with an old roommate of mine next week for 8 days. I was able to get a decent flight this past tuesday, to come to find out he hasnt really planned anything yet. There's actually 2 days that Im by myself in Tokyo, which I currently have planned to stay in a Hostel in Shinjuku and to go watch a Yomiuri Giants baseball game. I'm probably going to stay in the Tokyo area the whole time, but trying to see if a Mt.Fuji day trip is possible at a decent price as well

I have a few questions if anyone in the community wouldn't mind answering. I'll probably have a bit more when our itinerary is a bit better.

Are Apple Pay / NFC payments common and some of the bigger stores / restaurants? I had to request a new Credit card and Im worried it may not get here before I leave. I did get a temporary card number that Im using out here in the US in the mean time that I can use at certain places. If it doesnt get here in time, can I use apple pay at these places?

What would be the closest station to Mt. Fuji? I do see in some places that Kawaguchiko Station maybe the best one taking the Chuo line but im not entirely sure. Its not that we want to hike up it or anything, we just want to get as close as we can and explore any surrounding cities that we're near.

In the Tokyo area, are airbnbs accepted as pretty good, or would it be better to try to find hotels. We're hoping for 4-5 nights, not spending over $120/night on a place to stay.

This and any other advice will be grand!

Are Apple Pay / NFC payments common and some of the bigger stores / restaurants? I had to request a new Credit card and Im worried it may not get here before I leave. I did get a temporary card number that Im using out here in the US in the mean time that I can use at certain places. If it doesnt get here in time, can I use apple pay at these places?

I think this is supported but I'm not 100 % sure. I'm pretty sure you can use it with a SUICA.

In the Tokyo area, are airbnbs accepted as pretty good, or would it be better to try to find hotels. We're hoping for 4-5 nights, not spending over $120/night on a place to stay.

This and any other advice will be grand!

AirBNBs are pretty good from what I've heard. I always stay at Kimi Ryokan when I'm in Tokyo but you have a lot of options when it comes to spending less than that per night. Personally, I think anything more than about $70/night would be a waste.

Dandte

So I finally had the time to manage and sift through the 52 GBs of pictures I took on my trip last month.

My photography skills is still super amateurish but I had lots of fun just taking photos.
I've got the album on Flickr: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm32RrBr
It'd be nice if my album gets linked in the OP
onegai!!!

Really great photos. I need to get back to jpn nad i need a new Camera haha. My old Canon Bridge Camera has seen better days, but i love the comfort of having a single lens. Love to the color scheme of your pics and the fur really looks good.

Edit: Also. Normally i'm traveling across the whole country and use airbnb or motels on the fly but now i got company by my gf...who wants to stay in hotels rather than air bnb. I want to go back to jpn before the olympics so the price point should stay the same. Airbnb was around 20-30 € per night. Depeding on the region i got a whole house or a neat little apartment and bought frozen food (i need the carbonara from 7/11) and breakfast when and where i wanted. I guess we would only travel two weeks and do daily trips to nara, osaka and maybe the fox village so we would have two weeks in the same place..aka a hotel. Any informations about pricing etc. Doesn't has to be fancy, 3* is totally okay. Only international breakfast and a huge bed is important.

Hastati

Sorry to ask this here, but I haven't been able to get reliable information. Is there any way to purchase concert tickets for phone-only reservations for shows in Japan while overseas? A service or something?

I'll be going to Japan in late July and want to hit the Persona 5 concert on August 2 in Yokohama, but I can't confirm my reservation without going to a Lawson in person. I put up a post in the BST thread to purchase/pay someone to complete my res but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Seems quite hard to get tickets for stuff overseas, but I guess that's to be expected.

If there's no service or means to circumvent this uhhh......anyone have any recommended bars in Yokohama?

Sorry to ask this here, but I haven't been able to get reliable information. Is there any way to purchase concert tickets for phone-only reservations for shows in Japan while overseas? A service or something?

I'll be going to Japan in late July and want to hit the Persona 5 concert on August 2 in Yokohama, but I can't confirm my reservation without going to a Lawson in person. I put up a post in the BST thread to purchase/pay someone to complete my res but I'm not keeping my hopes up. Seems quite hard to get tickets for stuff overseas, but I guess that's to be expected.

If there's no service or means to circumvent this uhhh......anyone have any recommended bars in Yokohama?

I haven't been able to figure out how to get concert tickets outside of a Lawson. It might be worth checking the Japan resident thread to see if any of them could help you.

Top Bottom