• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Do you have to play Witcher 1 & 2 to enjoy 3?

Machina

Banned
I have never owned Witcher 1, I do have Witcher 2 though and have tried multiple times to get into it but the controls/combat are just blegh. I've heard too many good things about 3 to ignore it any longer though but I don't wanna invest in it if I won't have a clue what's happening.

Theorry

Nope not at all. Never played 1 and didnt like 2 controls either. And W3 is my favorite game this gen.
Just read abit about W1 and W2. Wich helps abit with some characters.

eot

Banned
Considering most people didn't play the first two I think you're safe.

They're great though. How far did you get in TW2?

Zushin

I dont reckon it's required, but you do miss out on recognising some characters which is cool but again, not mandatory at all. Definitely should try and finish the first two as they are great in their own right.

SUPGUYZ

Banned
Witcher 1 has aged weirdly but it has a lot of charm to it. If you have time, play through it. But if you're excited to play W3 then just go right to it. Look up a summary, the plot is summarized well in-game

Gators300

Banned
You won't have as much of an appreciation for some of the long running characters, but you can still definitely enjoy the game. I played Witcher 1 on PC, skipped 2, and played 3 for like 300+ hours. Fully enjoyed it. I would just read up on the main characters online so you are at least familiar with their relationship with Geralt.

Awesome game, btw. Prior to BotW was my game of the generation for sure. Now it sits at #2 but I'll definitely replay it again.

SilentRob

Story-wise? Nah, not really. Witcher 3 will throw dozens of characters at you the main characters already know but you have never seen either way.

Witcher 2 is the best Witcher game though, so you should definitely give that one a try :p

NIN90

It would be fairly stupid of CD Projekt to release a AAA title during a newish gen that required knowledge of the sorta niche predecessors.

It'll help your enjoyment. So would reading all the books. But if you really don't want to I'm sure you'll have a blast anyway.

Turkoop

Banned
No, you can know the whole Witcher story just by playing the game. In W3 there a lot of things that happened in the W1/W2 which you can explore etc.

TheMoon

Just think about platform availability.

Witcher 1 is PC-only
Witcher 2 is PC and Xbox 360 only
Witcher 3 appeared on PlayStation for the first time with PS4.

Should give you an idea :)

Of course you get more out of it if you've lived in this world for a while, though.

Ladekabel

You can start the Witcher 3 without having played the other two. I'd recommend playing the other two even if it might be hard to go back to them because you'll get more out of your time with Witcher 3.

JBwB

No but they will definitely increase your enjoyment if you complete them.

Reading the books (at least the short stories) will also help as well. I recommend all people who've enjoyed the Witcher games to read the books.

Erevador

Absolutely not.

There are videos on youtube that can summarize the plot and characters for you. That may be helpful.

Nope - I didn't feel like I missed out on anything. I had started with The Witcher 2 and then bounced back to 1 thinking that I had missed some critical character information, but the games are just written in a manner where it throws you right into the lives of the characters and you piece it together from there.

I do think 1 and 2 are worth trying at some point, though personally 1 bored me fairly early on (plus weird sexism that got toned down a lot in 2 and far more in 3), and I never felt compelled to finish 2 despite enjoying it a fair bit more. Love 3 though.

Cleve

Not at all. Given how many copies of 3 sold compared to 1 or 2, I'd imagine that's how most people experienced the story anyway.

Not really. You'll understand Witcher 3 just fine with the summary from the start of the game.

However, you may get a better experience as a whole by playing the previous games, as you'll get to know the characters more and their relationship with Geralt. There's a reason why Geralt would do anything for his friends, and that's explained in the previous games. There's also his story with the ladies. The characters are one of the main reasons that make the Witcher series great to me.

Witcher 3 is such a huge improvement over the first two. I'd read summaries or watch a video and just go straight to it.

I say this having played all three.

Honestly I found getting into W2 very hard.. I really wanted to and tried multiple times. That beginning section was hard with all the mechanics they throw at you at once.

Witcher 3 though.. Man I cant even count how many hours I've put into it. 3rd playthrough

opricnik

Banned
No.
W2 is closer to W3 then 1 though.

W1 = Classic but has bad shit combat = for fans of people writing every piece of detail book/text in video games , boring and shit combat

W2=Trying to go modern still maintaning root game, better combat etc =

W3= Trying to mainstream game.

it is like mass effect trilogy but third game done right.

I have a similar issue with the series. I tried to play The Witcher 1, but the game isn't grabbing me at all. I don't like the game's mechanics. I also heard that Witcher 2 has controller support, so the gameplay has to be different in that one.

Slightly different question about the series: Do you need to play Witcher 1 to enjoy Witcher 2?

Widge

You should play them all anyway.

I really feel I should do this. Although I found Witcher 1 wasn't really that good to play with a controller.

I would jump in at 2 but I always heard that Witcher 1 had some excellent storytelling and scenarios.

Print_Dog

I never played the Witcher 1 or 2 but I thoroughly enjoyed 3.

My only complaint is I got a little lost in the sauce after making it to
Skellige
. Everyone seems so "familiar" with each other. More so than anyone else previous to that portion of the game.

But honestly the main plot started losing my interest around that same time so I began to skip parts of conversation.

B_Signal

I never got very far in the first Witcher game, it's too clunky to slog through now. I doubt it'll ever happen but a remake in Witcher 3's engine would be cool

13ruce

Banned
Just watch or read a summary.
Witcher 3 improved so much it's hard to go back. But if you do want to experience 1 and 2 i strongly recommend playing those first!

womp

I played Witcher 2 for an hour and hated it.

Witcher 3 I played for about 130 hours and is one of my favorite games of all time.

bosseye

I played Witcher 2 for an hour and hated it.

Witcher 3 I played for about 130 hours and is one of my favorite games of all time.

Same.

So I have basically zero knowledge of 1 or 2, but never hindered my enjoyment of 3. The world is the star in 3, its just so believable.

I trade all my games in when I'm done, generally no exceptions; but I still have Witcher 3 and dip in and out of it, its just wonderful.

Complistic

No, but you should play 2 because it's a good game. One should only be played by those curious to see how a new game studio can develop if they're managed properly. It is rough to say the least.

WaterAstro

I'd say just cheat through them, or watch playthroughs.

I think I'm the only one in the world that probably enjoys TW1's combat lol.

Think as with any good sequel you'll get more out of The Witcher 3 if you played through the previous games but you won't really be lost in The Witcher 3 because you didn't play the previous games.

Ascenion

Honestly you'd be bettter off reading the books before playing Witcher 3. Its more a sequel to that than a sequel to Witcher 2. Witcher 2 is the better game imo. Absolutely has a better story, combat is awful in every title though so yeah don't look for that.

The answer is Not Really. However, Witcher 2 especially is a great game in its own right and I firmly believe you should play it if you call yourself an RPG fan.

LiK

Not really but it'll make the story less confusing and more fulfilling especially when you see some characters return. Lore, recurring characters and world building is established in the first game. Second game gets into the politics and builds upon some aspects of the world. There's no reason not to play them if you're interested.

Budi

No you don't. Witcher 3 isn't good because it had great games before it, which it had. It would elevate the experience because you'd be more attached to the world and especially it's characters and playing good games is fun anyway. But it's not required so one could enjoy W3.

I'd say just cheat through them, or watch playthroughs.

I think I'm the only one in the world that probably enjoys TW1's combat lol.

You'r not the only one, preferred it over W2 combat that felt very lifted from popular action games of it's time Batman and AC.

B3N1

I played W2 on X1 BC (got it for free during the holidays) before starting 3 (was in backlog since Black Friday).

While playing 2, I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything.

Then in Witcher 3, it was pretty awesome knowing the characters on most of the Gwent cards. Other than that, I'm not sure if there's a lot of connection between the 2.

I still suggest playing Witcher 2, it's structured in a completely different way than 3, and it was surprisingly good imo.

Ahasverus

Not at all, no, W3 tries its best to feel "standalone". Actually the most "impenetrable" Witcher game is 2, and even that one is wonderful (on PC)

I have never owned Witcher 1, I do have Witcher 2 though and have tried multiple times to get into it but the controls/combat are just blegh. I've heard too many good things about 3 to ignore it any longer though but I don't wanna invest in it if I won't have a clue what's happening.

Absolutely not.
Fanboys will tell you that W2 is as good as W3 but that's not true. You can easily just play W3 as it is so fantastic it makes the first two games irrelevant.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
You'll get more out of the games for certain. But no.

Usually I'm a stickler on finishing the first games in a series, before moving on.

That said, I played the hell out of the W1, loved it, but got stuck in the swamps, took a break, came back much later, couldn't do it. So then I gave in and watched the rest on youtube. (Summary).

With the Witcher 2, I tried a couple times, didn't get very far. Then before wild Hunt, I powered through and played it on Easy. That said, before I knew it I was enjoying myself, and felt as I rushed it too much. Great game.

Wild Hunt is a on a whole different level. It is in the top five if not THE best game I've ever played. It's just so close to perfect it's hard to believe.

Ascenion

Absolutely not.
Fanboys will tell you that W2 is as good as W3 but that's not true.You can easily just play W3 as it is so fantastic it makes the first two games irrelevant.

That depends on how you look at it. Plot vs Plot Witcher 2 is superior. Witcher 3 drags at the end and has a pretty awful climax. It only shines through the side content. Not to mention it has a barely there villain .

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
No, but it helps.
It's not like Mass Effect, it doesn't tell a continuing story but characters are introduced in the first games that appear in 3.

Witcher 1 is so underrated on this forum. That game is fucking fantastic and shouldn't be skipped.

Witcher 1 is one of my favourite games of all time. The story in the game is beyond fantastic.

The Witcher 1 is the most dated game but features a great storyline with interesting characters to meet and also boasts the best atmosphere of the three games. The combat system is a rhythm-based clicking and turns many people off. Average playtime for me is around 50 hours. I have finished it 4 times now and it is undoubtedly one of my favourite games of all time

The Witcher 2 is a much more polished game but loses some of the atmosphere in the process. The game is very political and throws a lot of names and factions at you, can be difficult to get into. But the story is very rewarding and, in my opinion, the best of the three games. Also the only game which implements choice & consequence in a super ambitious manner.

The Witcher 3 is the love child of both games: the atmosphere and open world nature from The Witcher 1 and the polished storytelling and design from The Witcher 2.

Top Bottom