• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MLB 2016-2017 Offseason |OT| At Least Next Year is an Odd Numbered Year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Windu

never heard about the cat, apparently
Braves new Slugger

MmJTQio.jpg

Windu

I thought the early word was that Sean wasn't hurt too bad. I guess they found a lot more wrong with his shoulder.
Yeah they found out about the shoulder on friday. Traded for brandon phillips shortly after.

Windu

Braves pitchers Bartolo Colon (left) and R.A. Dickey race each other during sprints Wednesday Feb. 15, 2017, at Champion Stadium at the ESPN Wide World of Sports in Lake Buena Vista. Braves pitchers and catcher worked out for the first time during spring training Wednesday.
watch out usian bolt

zulux21

Apparently the Jays are in lengthy discussions with Mat Latos.

unless they are talking to him to be a reliever they need to walk away.
dude doesn't have it in him to actually start anymore, but he might be an okay reliever.

I know last year though he refused to be a reliever and instead wanted to be cut.

unless they are talking to him to be a reliever they need to walk away.
dude doesn't have it in him to actually start anymore, but he might be an okay reliever.

I know last year though he refused to be a reliever and instead wanted to be cut.

Well, it's Rogers MO to scrape the literal bottom of the barrel.

zulux21

Well, it's Rogers MO to scrape the literal bottom of the barrel.

I actually missed that he did a stint with the marlins last season after he was let go from the white sox.

but yeah if you remove his really good start (aka his first 4 starts) he pitched at a 7.09 ERA with a 1.89 WHIP last season lol.

The Yordano Ventura you never knew

People who came to know Ventura during his eight seasons with the Royals' organization recall that he loved spending time with kids at local hospitals, and he had a gift for relating to them. His outreach efforts stemmed in part from losing his friend, former minor league teammate and fellow Dominican Republic native Carlos Fortuna, to cancer at age 22 in 2013.

The little girl's name was Amelia Meyer, and she met Ventura last spring in conjunction with a calendar photo shoot for a cancer-related charity. The day before Amelia turned 9, Ventura handed her a baseball with "Happy Birthday'' written on it and spent time with her at Kansas City's Kauffman Stadium playing catch, swinging a bat and bonding amid shared smiles.

"He was quiet and soft-spoken with her and her family, and made an indelible impression on her,'' Deliece Hofen, president of Braden's Hope for Childhood Cancer, said in an email. "There was no way to know that a few weeks later, tumor growth would be seen and in October Amelia would earn her angel wings.''

Amelia died in October but lived on with Ventura in a photograph that served as January's entry in the 2017 "A Year of Hope'' calendar. Before the month was over, Ventura flipped his Jeep on the Juan Adrian Highway in San Jose de Ocoa and died at age 25. And the irrepressible joy expressed in the photo they share has been replaced by an unspeakable sadness.

chris christie says shit about Phillies fans we probably already knew

By now, everyone in Philadelphia knows the Cowboys-loving New Jersey governor hates the Eagles. So it’s easy to ignore him when he goes on New York sports radio and says Eagles fans “suck” and calls them “angry, awful people.”

But on Wednesday night, Christie took his trolling of Philadelphia sports to another level during an appearance on SportsNet New York’s Baseball Night.

Christie, who says he has been a Mets fan since the late 1960s, was speaking about the team when the subject turned to Tug McGraw and the Phillies’ use of his "Ya Gotta Believe" slogan on new graphics adorning the hallways at Spectrum Field in Clearwater. Mets fans have been oddly fixated on the use of the slogan, which McGraw made famous when he was a Met during the team's 1973 World Series run.

That’s when Christie, who is reportedly interested in becoming a sports talk show host once his tenure as governor ends next year, went full Skip Bayless, blasting Phillies fans as “awful people.”

"The Phillies suck," Christie said. "Let's just start with that. They're from Philadelphia. They're an awful team. They're an angry, bitter fan base and it's not safe for civilized people to go to Citizens Bank Park if you want to root for the other team.”

“Ya gotta believe what?” Christie continued. “Ya gotta believe we're awful people!"

BigAT

Listen, I hate Philly fans as much as any other person of sound mind would, but northeastern Dallas Cowboys-Notre Dame fans belong in an even deeper pit of fan hell. Fuck Christie, he has no room to talk.

Beckx

Listen, I hate Philly fans as much as any other person of sound mind would, but northeastern Dallas Cowboys-Notre Dame fans belong in an even deeper pit of fan hell. Fuck Christie, he has no room to talk.

When you combine AMERICA'S TEAM fans with "Hey, city people, FUCK YOU MY BASE IS RURAL" politicians

It's like some shit version of those "you got peanut butter in my chocolate" commercials except it's shit and vinegar.

Manny Machado, after Ventura's death, reached out to Royals

Orioles third baseman Manny Machado charged the mound against Kansas City Royals Yordano Ventura in June in part because of a fundamental fear: that a pitch could keep him out of the game he loved.

"When somebody's throwing 99 [mph] at you, it's going to hurt," he said after the benches-clearing brawl at Camden Yards. "You can ruin someone's career."

But in that anger and resentment was a surprising sense of perspective. "Whatever happened, happened," he said, and he pledged to move on from the night.

When Ventura died in a Jan. 22 car crash in his native Dominican Republic, remembrances of the 25-year-old evoked his big fastball and the pitch's often troublesome deployment. There was the Machado brouhaha, the staredown with Los Angeles Angels star Mike Trout and a couple of other dustups.

Royals manager Ned Yost said he wasn't surprised to hear that Machado and Trout had reached out: Compassion is as much a part of the game as competition.

“Everybody knows that this game is meant to be competed fiercely and hard," he said. "And our guys understand that. Mike Trout understands that. Because he competes just as hard. And so does Manny."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
MLB Network ‏@MLBNetwork

#MLBNow discusses Mets RHP Zack Wheeler reportedly experiencing tenderness in his elbow after a recent throwing session.

Lol this dude is never coming back. We should have resigned Big Sexy. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom