• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom thinking out Switch support, talks about Capcom's future and IP revivals

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I mean it's sold out sure but it's not being well stocked so sales are pretty low for month 2. They should be getting more out soon.

I mean hardware is selling well - software is selling too. There isnt any metric were the Switch cant be considered a success, most devs who have been part of the launch period probably are satisfied.

If Switch was a system like the 3DS - were pretty much every game had to somewhat be an exclusive or quite a departure from the same release on console i would understand the wait and see approach. But im having trouble believing that porting already released multiplattform titles to Switch is as risky...RE4/REmake for example or the previously mentioned Disney Afternoon Collection(then again this Collection is also skipping 3DS, so i dont know whats up with that).

Most people arent even expecting some big exclusive Switch titles, since they dont make much sense in this day and age. SE and Bandai Namco are two of the big publisher to seem to get it finally.....lets see if Capcom will learn it to.

Sesha

I assume this means "amount of Switch support" and not Switch support in general.

Even so, I get why they think that, but it seems awfully shortsighted. Anyway, Capcom changes its mind all the time, so if the Switch is a big success, I can see them jumping on more heavily.

Edit: Upon re-reading, it seems I was right.

That is really stupid.

And here I though the DMC future determined by DMC4 remaster was stupid, but Capcom really outdid themselves here.

That was misreported. They never said DMC's future was based on the sales of DMC4SE.

carlo6529

More like, "We've decided not to support the Switch unless our port sells like crazy, at which point we will port over RE4"

jjonez18

I read it as "If USF2 doesn't sell well, we won't do games like USF2 on Switch. We'll try something different"

Not "If USF2 doesn't sell well, we are done with Switch".

Am I alone?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Hahahahaha!

Let's overcharge 40$ for a 8 years old game that we sold for 15$ back then and we'll evaluate based on this.

Hahahahaha!

Let's overcharge 40$ for a 8 years old game that we sold for 15$ back then and we'll evaluate based on this.

Hahahahaha!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
fu crapcom

cw_sasuke

More like, "We've decided not to support the Switch unless our port sells like crazy, at which point we will port over RE4"

RE4 will be the big reward in 2020. We get Umbrella Chronicles (2018) and Darkside Chronicles (2019) first as the next test projects.

/s

Edit:

Honestly - for a company that just had 3( DR4,MHXX,RE7) mayor releases underperform on the big established systems (3DS,PS4/PC/One)....i dont know how many mayor mistakes they have left in them, would be different if they could at least found some success on mobile. Dont want them to go under - they are still one of my favorite 3rdParty pubs out there.

UberTag

I guess I won't be supporting Capcom on the Switch then. Good luck making money on the PS4 and Xbox One. I hear they really love Monster Hunter and remade Resident Evil games.

Failing that you can always go into the pachislot business. Konami is making a killing there.

BriGuy

They won't be able to ignore Switch's user base regardless of how well SF2 does. They know it's not going to light up charts (I question how well you can even play the game with the joycon "d-pad"), so they're trying to move additional copies with fear tactics.

ramparter

Banned
Guys, you need to understand, companies don't look for reasons not to support a platform. If they believe they can earn money they'll do it.

Bazry

Give me this on switch and ill be good to go capcom.
AhXqigF.png

You'll get the Gamecube version on VC

Wow, holy shit Capcom, how are you still in business if you're that blind to see you charging $40 for a game that came out as I was a kid with very little effort put into it.

MrBadger

They're basing Switch support on an overpriced version of a fighting game that's probably had more ports and remasters than Rayman 2?

MechaX

Holy fuck it's 2017 and we're still seeing the Capcom Tests.

I'd temper expectations on any future Switch support from them folks.

FaintDeftone

Maybe you should release something that makes sense on the console, like Disney Afternoon Collection, instead of overpriced shitty Street Fighter ports.

How about using monster Hunter to measure if you should support switch or not. Not a over priced port of a 30 year old game. Very very annoying.

Garou

The conclusion from the English bit in the OP is incorrect.

The original:
カプコンとしては、どの機種に対してもゲームを提供できる体制を目指し、基礎研究を進めている。スイッチについても、5月に『ウルトラストリートファイターⅡ』を発売するので、状況を見ながら対応を考えていく。

This is literally translated to:
As Capcom, we aim to bring games to all platforms, and continue our research.
As for the Switch, in May we will release USF2 and we will plan our support while looking at the situation [of the platform].

So basically this is a quick plug for their next release in the pipeline, while giving the general "we look into it"-response any company gives. The word "sales" doesn't come up once.

The original:
カプコンとしては、どの機種に対してもゲームを提供できる体制を目指し、基礎研究を進めている。スイッチについても、5月に『ウルトラストリートファイターⅡ』を発売するので、状況を見ながら対応を考えていく。

As for the Switch, in May we will release USF2 and we will plan our support while looking at the situation [of the platform].

So basically this is a quick plug for their next release in the pipeline, while giving the general "we look into it"-response any company gives.

Yeh pretty much how I understood it (in the OP).

Some slight jumping to conclusions here...

Edit: Capcom wouldn't waste time porting the RE Engine to Switch or asking Nintendo to add more RAM if they didn't intend to support it. Does anyone really think Monster Hunter/Ace Attorney won't come to the platform at the very least?

The original:

So basically this is a quick plug for their next release in the pipeline, while giving the general "we look into it"-response any company gives. The word "sales" doesn't come up once.

Whewwwww

EDarkness

I don't see how that's much different from what was said in the OP. They're saying that they're releasing Street Fighter II and they'll wait and see on anything else. So it implies that if that game does well, they'll consider another game. Considering they've just announced a game this week and it's not coming to the NS, there doesn't seem to be much else going on with the NS currently. Or nothing that is coming out soon.

The original:

A good old mistranslation leading to panic. I miss those.

Thanks for the correction!

I don't see how that's much different from what was said in the OP. They're saying that they're releasing Street Fighter II and they'll wait and see on anything else. So it implies that if that game does well, they'll consider another game. Considering they've just announced a game this week and it's not coming to the NS, there doesn't seem to be much else going on with the NS currently. Or nothing that is coming out soon.

Nothing about that implies the sales of USF2 will impact their support. It's basically the standard, "we have nothing to announce right now but we're watching the platform".

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
OP really need to be updated with a title change.

Of course "reputable" Nintendo blogs like Everything and Life have already leeched the news incorrectly.

HylianTom

Banned
After RE4 sold incredibly well on the Wii and Capcom interpreted this as Nintendo fans wanting cheesy on-rails games, I became ambivalent towards them.

Good luck, Capcom.

Calm Mind

The original:

Thank you Garou!

I have updated the OP to reflect the better translation.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Are you fucking for real right now Capcom? You put out this lazy piece of shit port as your fucking "Capcom test"?
You fucking morons. You could've ported Monster Hunter or some shit and it would guarantee success. But no, lazy-ass SF2 port.

Edit: Oh they're just going "Yeah we'll monitor Switch sales and adjust support thereafter". Still kinda dumb because them making a Monster Hunter game would actively drive console sales :p

LordRaptor

If it sells really well I'm looking forward to that first person rail shooter version of Street Fighter where you waggle to shoot hadokens

Garou

The threadtitle is "Capcom: Switch support will be determined by sales of USF2 Reply to Thread " which is not accurate at all.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
While the thread title is certainly misleading,nothing about the statement changes the vibe that Capcom appears lukewarm at best on the platform.

LiK

That makes no sense. You don't judge how well a port for an old game does in order to determine support for new hardware.

cw_sasuke

There is no way....let me repeat no way that USF2 is the only Switch game Capcom has in plans as of this point. I dont think Nintendo would publish the game in the West either if thats all the support they would expect from Capcom.

But if its like you say....lol.

Really interesting to see how two of the biggest 3DS supporter are kinda slow to jump on the Switch train. Many of them probably expected a WiiU 2 and not something that could sell on a level like a 3DS. Its weird....but honestly i think i will just wait for e3 - you never know with these companies...they make it look like nothing is planned and then we have Monster Hunter and Kingdom Hearts at e3. Still have to remind ourselves that Switch hasnt had its first e3 yet.

Zutrax

Release Monster Hunter on the Switch and judge your support based on that number or something.

Don't judge it based on a port of a game that's been re-released to hell and back, on top of being overpriced. I own a Switch and love Street Fighter and I'm not even buying this game. Cmon Capcom have some sense.

Edit: The rewording still has me a bit scared, "Looking at the situation" can easily be construed in any way, including "Seeing how well Street Fighter 2 does" so I guess we'll see how Capcom responds then. The Switch is selling great so far so I find it hard pressed to see why they'd be iffy on supporting it right now.

TheMoon

The original:

someone PM a mod to fix the title then, pls.

Top Bottom