• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Mod Discussion and News [Creation Kit released]

cheststrongwell

my cake, fuck off
Mod of the year is in the works.

http://deck16.net/pilkington

tumblr_m1wdyzfoIn1qe86h3.jpg

Holy shit! Day one.

So it seems I've broken my save. I suspect the transition from Realistic Water Textures to Water Redux thingy did it, but no matter what I do the game locks up :/

I thought I'd done the same, but it ended up being a uGrid issue. Did you mess with your .ini files? Do you have a backup you can restore just in case?

Dmax3901

I thought I'd done the same, but it ended up being a uGrid issue. Did you mess with your .ini files? Do you have a backup you can restore just in case?

With this glimmer of hope I did some research into reverting Ugrids without having to give up my 120+ hours savefile.

Did that successfully, was able to load my save in the DB Sanctuary and walk around. I ventured outside, still fine. Then I rode my horse along the road for ten seconds, I scared a flock of birds and then the whole thing locked up.

Wasn't a CTD mind you, it just froze and I had to alt+ctrl+del my way out.

So I figured the freezing had to be a mod so I uninstalled everything and unticked every esp in NMM and loaded it up again.

I was able to ride about, fast travel and wait with no problems. So it seems its fixed, I just don't know which mod was responsible.

But thanks anyway for getting me to keep trying!

Derrick01

Banned
So people don't seem to care that much about Skyrim mods? Any good ones out there?

I browse the best rated ones (both recent and all time) in the steam workshop every few days and there doesn't seem to be anything terribly interesting yet. I'm waiting for the big mods, the total overhaul of the loot scaling problem which would have to include placing special loot all over the world and a huge financial system overhaul.

Inkwell

Banned
I want to play this game, but I'm waiting for more mods. Plus I would like to just be able to use just the Steam workshop and no other sources. It just keeps things simple. I just got the Script extender installed so I can use SkyUI. Not sure what else on the Steam Workshop is worth it.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I browse the best rated ones (both recent and all time) in the steam workshop every few days and there doesn't seem to be anything terribly interesting yet. I'm waiting for the big mods, the total overhaul of the loot scaling problem which would have to include placing special loot all over the world and a huge financial system overhaul.

Nexus has more mods, some moders refused to work with Workshop for some reason.

Derrick01

Banned
Nexus has more mods, some moders refused to work with Workshop for some reason.

They're going to have to if they want my support. The workshop has already spoiled the shit out of me with how quick and hassle free it is. Previous modding in bethesda games wasn't exactly hard but I did have to keep multiple windows open for quick extracting and cut/pasting things over and arranging them in the proper order.

Not tough, but annoying enough to bother my lazy ass. Steam workshop is the future as it's only going to improve.

With this glimmer of hope I did some research into reverting Ugrids without having to give up my 120+ hours savefile.

Did that successfully, was able to load my save in the DB Sanctuary and walk around. I ventured outside, still fine. Then I rode my horse along the road for ten seconds, I scared a flock of birds and then the whole thing locked up.

Wasn't a CTD mind you, it just froze and I had to alt+ctrl+del my way out.

So I figured the freezing had to be a mod so I uninstalled everything and unticked every esp in NMM and loaded it up again.

I was able to ride about, fast travel and wait with no problems. So it seems its fixed, I just don't know which mod was responsible.

But thanks anyway for getting me to keep trying!

Glad you didn't totally lose your save - Hopefully you can find the mod too!

spirity

I'm not entirely sure the big mods are going to be compatible with steam workshop. Doesn't the steam workshop order mods by date? I don't use it, but that suggests to me once you start adding comprehensive mods, there are going to be load order and compatibility issues. Steam workshop seems good if you're just into light modding, but I don't know if it's going to be able to handle the big stuff.

I dunno for sure though, just spitballing.

Derrick01

Banned
I'm not entirely sure the big mods are going to be compatible with steam workshop. Doesn't the steam workshop order mods by date? I don't use it, but that suggests to me once you start adding comprehensive mods, there are going to be load order and compatibility issues. Steam workshop seems good if you're just into light modding, but I don't know if it's going to be able to handle the big stuff.

I dunno for sure though, just spitballing.

You can change the load order on the skyrim launcher when you click data files. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it on your subscription page on the workshop though.

spirity

You can change the load order on the skyrim launcher when you click data files. I'm not sure if there's a way to do it on your subscription page on the workshop though.

I didn't know that, thanks. Hmm, perhaps in the future Steam will incorporate some sort of mod ordering into the workshop. That would be pretty cool.

MrBig

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=9782

Damn! I've been wanting jungle environments since Morrowind. This looks amazing, but I'm going to hold off until it's more updated.

I've played through quite a bit of it, and its very rough. Sound acting being implemented is good... but the sound acting is used inappropriately with stock voices, and really doesn't sound good. Seems like they shouldn't have it out for download while they're working on it, for a lot of things are unfinished or are just not working. It looks damn beautiful in the places that are more finished though.

Morokh

They're going to have to if they want my support. The workshop has already spoiled the shit out of me with how quick and hassle free it is. Previous modding in bethesda games wasn't exactly hard but I did have to keep multiple windows open for quick extracting and cut/pasting things over and arranging them in the proper order.

Not tough, but annoying enough to bother my lazy ass. Steam workshop is the future as it's only going to improve.

Did not like it at all at first, but Nexus mod manager isn't more complicated than steam workshop, it just doesn't have auto updates which is, by me a good thing, especially when the big game changing mods are coming.

I browsed new mods during the week-end, both on Nexus and Steam Workshop, and there definitely is more things on the Nexus, some of the worthwhile mods are on both but you miss a lot.

And I was definitely underwhelmed by the amount and quality of mods that are found on the workshop only.

Unicorn

has anyone created a Magicka style spell combination system yet?

How about any of the nuanced features of that game jam video Bethesda put out, such as, footprints in the snow, rain dripping from awnings, seasonal foliage, cloth and fabric having ragdoll and physics?

http://softimage.wiki.softimage.com/xsidocs/idef_deforms_VerletIntegration.htm

I have no idea how to work the creation kit, but how possible is it to implement the above? The game jam video showed it in use, but I don't know if that is something only Bethesda can do, or if the CK is capable of doing it.

Watching the Kinect update to Skyrim i feel Bethesda is threathing us unfairly.

Anyway, the part that interests me is ordering the companions via voice commands. Is anyone working on a similar mod?

zkylon

zkylewd
Watching the Kinect update to Skyrim i feel Bethesda is threathing us unfairly.

Anyway, the part that interests me is ordering the companions via voice commands. Is anyone working on a similar mod?
They had worked on that on the free time back in production time. I get the feeling MS heard about this, and just funded the Kinect patch.

Pro

I have a question. I'm using the W.A.T.E.R mod in conjunction with ENB (not sure whose ENB I'm using at the moment) but when I swim under water, I get a solid color and cannot see anything underneath the water line. Does anyone know if an ENB setting is causing this?

I have a question. I'm using the W.A.T.E.R mod in conjunction with ENB (not sure whose ENB I'm using at the moment) but when I swim under water, I get a solid color and cannot see anything underneath the water line. Does anyone know if an ENB setting is causing this?

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=822

"NOTE: There seem to be some issue with the Skyrim 1.5 patch and ENBseries with grass shadows and water transition, see the discussion in the comments tab for details.Stay tuned for updates. It seems some have had a measure of success by disabling depth of field and shadows-on-grass in their Skyrim .ini files. Boris is working on an update to address these issues. In the meanwhile, you can use the 108 d3d9.dll from Boris' ENB instead of the 102, and the shadows and underwater issues will be fixed. The downside though, is that the 108 dll has limited functions so DoF and a few other fx won't work. Thanks to SceneGG for the tip!"

Unicorn

Has anyone tried coding using Eclipse with the Papyrus plugin? Also, I haven't used the CK yet. How does it all work together.

UrbanRats

So ehm.. clean install and spent a night installing mods.
Everything seems to work fine, except:

1) everytime (or almost everytime) i load a save, CTD.
2) everytime i "quit to main menu", CTD.
3) everytime it autosaves, it also "creates back" (for lack of a better term) some saves i had before the clean install! (i manually erased them from the PC, from everywhere i could find them, mind you).
I played in window mode with the mygame/skyrim/saves folder open and yes, they literally pop out from nowhere.. searched both the harddrives and they are NOWHERE else.
--
I play with the Nexus mod manager and used it to install the mods, aswell.

Question is: where can i find an error-log or something like that, to understand why the fuck it CTDs everytime i try to load? (the first load goes just fine, btw.. it's when i try to load after that, when in game; and i can't go back to the main menu either)
I could play like this (assuming it doesn't crash too often during gameplay, too), but everytime i want to load, i have to back to the desktop and reboot the game, which means everytime i die, it's reboot time.. fuck.

My (huge) mod list:

Grymm

Banned
So ehm.. clean install and spent a night installing mods.
Everything seems to work fine, except:

1) everytime (or almost everytime) i load a save, CTD.
2) everytime i "quit to main menu", CTD.
3) everytime it autosaves, it also "creates back" (for lack of a better term) some saves i had before the clean install! (i manually erased them from the PC, from everywhere i could find them, mind you).
I played in window mode with the mygame/skyrim/saves folder open and yes, they literally pop out from nowhere.. searched both the harddrives and they are NOWHERE else.
--
I play with the Nexus mod manager and used it to install the mods, aswell.

Question is: where can i find an error-log or something like that, to understand why the fuck it CTDs everytime i try to load? (the first load goes just fine, btw.. it's when i try to load after that, when in game; and i can't go back to the main menu either)
I could play like this (assuming it doesn't crash too often during gameplay, too), but everytime i want to load, i have to back to the desktop and reboot the game, which means everytime i die, it's reboot time.. fuck.

My (huge) mod list:

I don't know about your ctds, but

#1 try putting realistic lighting near the end of your load order, if not at the end.

#2 you're missing the hi def texture pack fix mods (hd texture pack fix and daedric shield fix)

#3 you're missing this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7590

Trickster

Probably a dumb question. But is there a good place to find a shortish ( 10 or so maybe ) list of great mods that everyone should have?

Reading the OP or skyrimnexus makes my head spin with the number or different mods, no way of really knowing whats good and whats not.

Grymm

Banned
Probably a dumb question. But is there a good place to find a shortish ( 10 or so maybe ) list of great mods that everyone should have?

Reading the OP or skyrimnexus makes my head spin with the number or different mods, no way of really knowing whats good and whats not.

I'm pretty sure the answers would be

Official bethesda HD textures packs
HD pack fix mod (also daedric shield fix mod)
Sky UI
Realistic Lighting
WATER
and maybe a world map mod, like quality map with roads

The unoffical bug fix mod recently released too. That was considered a must have for Oblivion and Morrowind. I wouldn't use it quite yet though. It sounds like it still needs a bug fix or two of its own.

UrbanRats

I don't know about your ctds, but

#1 try putting realistic lighting near the end of your load order, if not at the end.

#2 you're missing the hi def texture pack fix mods (hd texture pack fix and daedric shield fix)

#3 you're missing this http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=7590

Ok:

1) put those at the end.

2) if i uncheck them, it's the same? I can barely tell the difference anyway.

3) installed.

As of now, the crashes presist.
Sometimes it loads fine, sometimes it CTDs, though (as of now) it seems to 100% CTD if i select quit to main menu.
I guess i'll have to check all those mods one by one, unchecking/checking them all.
If only there was an event log or something, that let me know what was going wrong. :\

--

EDIT:
After more testing, here are the facts:

- if i leave even ONE single mod ticked (no matter which) it CTDs as stated above.

- if i untick EVERY SINGLE MOD, it doesn't, it works fine.

This both if i start the game from the nexus mod manager OR the Skyrim Launcher.exe (in the folder).
If i launch the game from steam.. well it doesn't start (it loads forever) thi is i guess because i modded it through the nexuxMM, not through the workshop.

I'm close to the source of the problem i feel, but i'm also more and more pissed at this game: couldn't play it vanilla when it came out (CTDs) can't play it modded not (CTDs, though of different nature).. getting tired.
No doubt if they don't do a spectacular U turn, this is the last Bethesda game to enter in my house, and i say this after having bought Morro, Oblivion, FO3 and Skyrim; plus New Vegas, but that one was Obsidian anyway.

Ledsen

Ok:

1) put those at the end.

2) if i uncheck them, it's the same? I can barely tell the difference anyway.

3) installed.

As of now, the crashes presist.
Sometimes it loads fine, sometimes it CTDs, though (as of now) it seems to 100% CTD if i select quit to main menu.
I guess i'll have to check all those mods one by one, unchecking/checking them all.
If only there was an event log or something, that let me know what was going wrong. :\

--

EDIT:
After more testing, here are the facts:

- if i leave even ONE single mod ticked (no matter which) it CTDs as stated above.

- if i untick EVERY SINGLE MOD, it doesn't, it works fine.

This both if i start the game from the nexus mod manager OR the Skyrim Launcher.exe (in the folder).
If i launch the game from steam.. well it doesn't start (it loads forever) thi is i guess because i modded it through the nexuxMM, not through the workshop.

I'm close to the source of the problem i feel, but i'm also more and more pissed at this game: couldn't play it vanilla when it came out (CTDs) can't play it modded not (CTDs, though of different nature).. getting tired.
No doubt if they don't do a spectacular U turn, this is the last Bethesda game to enter in my house, and i say this after having bought Morro, Oblivion, FO3 and Skyrim; plus New Vegas, but that one was Obsidian anyway.

When you are modding, you have to install one mod at a time, read the readme for every mod before installing it and start a new game after each installation to make sure everything is working fine. If you don't, and install lots of mods and THEN start testing, blame yourself
or God
and not Bethesda or even modders. Modding is extremely complicated, and finding the cause of any one of a million errors that could occur is even more so. The fastest and best solution for you at this point is probably to start over and do the above.

Does the Steam Workshop actually work? All I ever get are errors coming up. I've subscribed to 5 mods but only one has been installed. I've gone back to using Nexus and their Mod Manager. Seems to work flawlessly.

UrbanRats

When you are modding, you have to install one mod at a time, read the readme for every mod before installing it and start a new game after each installation to make sure everything is working fine. If you don't, and install lots of mods and THEN start testing, blame yourself
or God
and not Bethesda or even modders. Modding is extremely complicated, and finding the cause of any one of a million errors that could occur is even more so. The fastest and best solution for you at this point is probably to start over and do the above.
I used the Nexus mod manager, so i couldn't read every read-me (it installs the mods automatically, simlarily to the workshop, though i read the description page carefully for each mod, before downloading) and yes, i tested the game often between installing all those mods.
Still as i said, the game runs fine until i try to go to the main menu, what i tested "between mods" were things like, fast travel, loading interiors/exteriors, waiting (aside from the actual mod's content) stuff that usually caused crashes.
OFCOURSE i can't try every single thing with every single mod i install, i'm not payed to be a beta tester, lol.

Also, i'm not blaming the modders (how did you get this idea?) nor Bethesda for my modded game not working properly, if anything, i blame Bethesda for a mediocre game (mediocre without mods, that is) that was beyond broken even as Vanilla (again, i played it vanilla at launch, and it CTD every 5 minutes, with constant fps drops and other shit).

Of course, i knew Bethesda, so my bad in giving them credit, that much i know.

Derrick01

Banned
Does the Steam Workshop actually work? All I ever get are errors coming up. I've subscribed to 5 mods but only one has been installed. I've gone back to using Nexus and their Mod Manager. Seems to work flawlessly.

I have 15 mods from the workshop and it all seems to work flawlessly. I like the detailed cities one especially, makes whiterun look a lot less shitty and depressing.

The improved thievery one is nice too. I like having ladders and sewers placed around cities to improve breaking and entering. Always thought it was weird you were supposed to just walk right in the front door when breaking into a house or business.

UrbanRats

Did a clean install, when i have time (and will) i'll begin again.
I have to choose how to go with it, manual install, NMM or workshop, though.

Unicorn

I don't know how, as I don't have any armor mods, but the female Steel armor (not plate) shows up as a big red triangle with an exclamation point on all the female characters that wear it.

Data / meshes / armor / steel / f / cuirasslight_0.nif

I tried opening that in the CK and it said it was missing all the meshes and stuff.

If I download an armor mod or retexture for the steel armor, will that be enough? or do I need to find something that gives me a replacement .nif with the maps?

EDIT: yeah, downloading someone's new mesh mod fixed it right up, though now steel armor is a bit skimpy for them.

Since I'm here, I'll post some wishes for future mods; these probably won't see culmination for years:

Stuff to bring from Morrowind:
- Spears, notably would be great for horse mounted combat
- A re-institution of stat based integration, such as an actual bartering system tied to speech-craft, acrobatics/athletics, etc.
- Weapon and armor degradation so we can actually legitimately have a reason for the armory skill to increase (outside of dagger exploitation, because honestly, when else am I fucking creating things? materials cost more than what I can sell the finished product for.)
- Area specific mobs, such as Gar, Cliffracers, etc. on Border to Morrowind and other creatures by other borders.
- Spell creation, enchantment creation

Some other ones that I've really wanted after plopping some time into Skyrim:
- Poisons that act more like enchantments. Let me put a poison on a quiver of arrows that can last for 20 shots. Let the ingredient list requirements bigger if it means less time in the menu after each attack.
- Better shop system. The lack of gold is abhorrent, shops have no distinguishing features, prices are all uniform. Same with Blacksmiths. Orcs should have more orc oriented gear and prices should reflect that, etc.
- More fleshed out waterways and probably new areas to explore so the water-breathing Argonian and those with potions and equipment can have some unique experiences. Why is there so much water-breathing gear when there's very little use for it in the mostly shallow waterways of Skyrim?
- More restrictions based on playstyle class (skills & perks), race, gender, afflictions, alliances. I really feel that letting a single character partake in just about every quest really does a disservice to the world of Elder Scrolls.
- More factions to join, such as in Morrowind you were able to do things for certain house families, religious institutions, etc. Also, the shrines in Skyrim that give you a semi-alliance to a specific deity should be expanded upon.
- More perk trees and weapon types (unarmed, obviously) and general content additions in weapons and armor that are lore friendly.

That's about it right off the top of my head.

Currently, the Skyrim Monster Mod has a ton of new cool creatures, but I won't download it for the simple fact that it has a shitton of non-canon, non lore friendly animals, such as fucking dinosaurs, weird demon creatures from other games and fictions, among other things. The Gars, dragons, etc. that are lore and region friendly is great though.

Teleporter

Hey guys anyone know a simple but competent save manager app for Skyrim? I had one here but somehow it vanish and i dont recall the name of it! Thanks and Rock on!

iNvid02

so i kept trying to continue with my original save but it was so fucked up i just gave up, quite a few quests were borked and i think i messed up stuff using console commands so i just deleted it.

started a new game with a wood elf and just experimenting with mods, some amazing stuff out there, don't think i could do a replay if it weren't for some of the mods

Come from time to time to the thread seems more slow than ever these days :)

Anyway what's the status on the following mods:

A mod reminiscent to new vegas hardcore mod. If memory serves me right Vasilisk was kind enough to recommend me one. Im wandering if there has been a significant update to it.

The realistic first person mod. What happened to this one? Seemed really promising but had some serious bugs. Did the author keep working on it?

I've been out of the Skyrim scene for a few months now. This thread has made me go back and see what of my old favorite mods have achieved so far. Apparently Wars in Skyrim is gone! That really bums me out; what happened? Has anything come out to fill the void?

zkylon

zkylewd
Come from time to time to the thread seems more slow than ever these days :)

Anyway what's the status on the following mods:

A mod reminiscent to new vegas hardcore mod. If memory serves me right Vasilisk was kind enough to recommend me one. Im wandering if there has been a significant update to it.

The realistic first person mod. What happened to this one? Seemed really promising but had some serious bugs. Did the author keep working on it?
I feel the same, for some reason the community has either died out or lost interest/inspiration. I mean, SkyUI has been stuck in limbo for months and there doesn't seem to be something like Project Nevada or FWE in the works...

I feel the same, for some reason the community has either died out or lost interest/inspiration. I mean, SkyUI has been stuck in limbo for months and there doesn't seem to be something like Project Nevada or FWE in the works...
zkylon, did you manage to invest more time into Skyrim? Last i remember you seemed disappointed or underwhelmed by the game.

This is the only Bethesda game that i don't feel the need to mod so much. After bumping Ugrids to 7 im very impressed by the graphics. The MODs i want the most just adress small reservations i had with the game. Think this was a solid release by Bethesda and they have been learning from the MOD community.

My biggest problem with the game is the character attribute leveling. I do think is a fantastic concept, but is flawed in the sense that you end up with a pretty rounded up character in 1 play through without much
planning involved from the player's part.

zkylon

zkylewd
zkylon, did you manage to invest more time into Skyrim? Last i remember you seemed disappointed or underwhelmed by the game.

This is the only Bethesda game that i don't feel the need to mod so much. After bumping Ugrids to 7 im very impressed by the graphics. The MODs i want the most just adress small reservations i had with the game. Think this was a solid release by Bethesda and they have been learning from the MOD community.

My biggest problem with the game is the character attribute leveling. I do think is a fantastic concept, but is flawed in the sense that you end up with a pretty rounded up character in 1 play through without much
planning involved from the player's part.
Yeah, not really. I usually don't like the Elder Scrolls games too much, because they lack any sort of interesting character development or RPG mechanics. You can join every single guild and master every single skill, and that just bores the hell out of me. Overall, I think the biggest step forward with Skyrim is that its world, unlike Oblivion's, is brimming with personality and interesting lore. That's nice but I need more in an RPG.

I'm hoping for a hardcore mode too, since I feel that Skyrim lends itself better to it than even New Vegas. I'm kinda patiently waiting for both a harcore mode and a fuller release of SkyUI, if they ever happen, to start seriously playing the game. I get the feeling Beth didn't do such a good job with the modding tools as they did with the game, though.

Top Bottom