• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Forza Motorsport 2 Screenshots... yes, they're REAL

shpankey

not an idiot
i'm sorry, but those look like shit. just as bad as the other screens.

the biggest issues i had with it (shitty lighting and shitty ground/grass/road textures and the blur) are still just as bad. horrible. and turn some AF on already, ugh.

damn

well, i guess if it has 60fps with 60fps reflections and vsync on, i can forgive a lot. here's hoping to awesome gameplay too. but grahics wise these screens look like complete shit.

Kangu

Banned
Cars= A+++++ would view again

Environment= The item was broken, it was packed in trash bag wrapped with duct tape and filled with M&M's and the buyer refuses to return my emails. F-----

Zamorro

These screenshots are still not on the official site, so there is still hope for the despairing.

The cars look nice though. The environments look like placeholders, especially the "grass".

hadareud

The Translator
The cars look better than in the first shots (geometry, reflections, textures). The ground textures look bad (AF?, or is due to the blur?).

The trees do look nice though.

Dunpeal

Banned
I think the 2nd/4rth and 5th pics are pretty darned good, looks like Gt4 photo mode. The other ones....cmon man...

Pgr3 still looks better thought, but then again we have to see city.

Zamorro said:
These screenshots are still not on the official site, so there is still hope for the despairing.

The cars look nice though. The environments look like placeholders, especially the "grass".

There's no hope for anyone despairing about screenshots for a racing game. Especially ones that look like these.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
these are from the exact same batch as the other ones

you don't notice the viewpoint change on the infiniti g35? the same car is still in front on the same turn

wait till tomorrow

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
WTF??

UNDERWHELMINTON!!

Looks like crap and che had the nerve to poo-poo Polyphony Digital for graphics???

Let me tell you, judging by these early screens the visual bar has not been raised that far for PD to leap over, thats for damn sure...

Kleegamefan said:
Looks like crap and che had the nerve to poo-poo Polyphony Digital for graphics???
I'm pretty sure che is the art team / art director on forza 2 and also his taste in games/graphics features into this a lot. gawd what a lame post

Skilotonn

xbot xbot xbot xbot xbot
The models look great - tons of detail, especially in the F430 - and I like the shine on the cars too - best example is on the Evo...

The only parts of the environments I don't like are the grass and the road, which seem to look like this because of the blur...

The trees and distant backgrounds look great though - and this is even with compressed pics...

Angelcurio

persiannight said:
I'm not too impressed. Low-res textures and flat lighting. Che, what is going on??

Extremely undelwhelming.

To me, this game looks like a rush job to make some quick money. Very sad indeed, considering that it was the first time that a game could try to compete with Gran Turismo. But whatever, sometimes business decissions have more influence than the fanbase voice. From a business point of view, the timing of this game´s launch is excellent since its going to help microsoft to have a "solid" lineup of games for christmas, but to the fanbase, the price is not worth it.

i will keep my previous word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcW3hbnR2EI

But now someone needs to change the Flight Simulator part and put Forza on it.

[/rant]

ypo said:
well he is the Xbox Viral Marketing Manager* so...

*I meant community manager

mrmagoo.jpg

He saw what you did there. Yeesh.

the weird dotted tree transparency, just like the car windows in saints row, makes it seem as though it's running in some 16bit colour mode or something

Sorry but I think this looks great, and at 60 fps perhaps even stunning. Cars are looking brilliant, environments not so much, but it's a boring track.

Wait for videos (or don't, it's GAF).

I have no doubt in my mind PD can top this, but by then it'll be 2008 and we're looking at Forza 3.

Wollan

Angelcurio said:
the timing of this game´s launch is excellent since its going to help microsoft to have a "solid" lineup of games for christmas, but to the fanbase, the price is not worth it.

Actually it's a spring 2007 game.

Outdoor Miner said:
I have no doubt in my mind PD can top this, but by then it'll be 2008 and we're looking at Forza 3.

Is that a good thing?
I think it's pretty clear now that PD is in a totally different league.

Gek54

BTW: According to a PGR3 car modeler, those meshes are WAY too detailed to be used in game, rather they are modelled for sub-division and are more likely to be used for garage mode like what they did in PGR3.

RaijinFY

Outdoor Miner said:
Sorry but I think this looks great, and at 60 fps perhaps even stunning. Cars are looking brilliant, environments not so much, but it's a boring track.

Wait for videos (or don't, it's GAF).

lol one Forza a year? Doesnt sounds very reassuring...

Angelcurio said:
Extremely undelwhelming.

To me, this game looks like a rush job to make some quick money. Very sad indeed, considering that it was the first time that a game could try to compete with Gran Turismo. But whatever, sometimes business decissions have more influence than the fanbase voice. From a business point of view, the timing of this game´s launch is excellent since its going to help microsoft to have a "solid" lineup of games for christmas, but to the fanbase, the price is not worth it.

i will keep my previous word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcW3hbnR2EI

But now someone needs to change the Flight Simulator part and put Forza on it.

[/rant]

Explain to me how these screenshots so deftly summarize the game to you for you to be able to so confidently write it off. When you say "Rush Job" does that mean that all the dyno work they did just to capture sound was done like too quickly? All the Live integration they're planning that they can't even talk about yet, slipshod? How exactly is the full entire potential of a racing game, this racing game in particular, completely and utterly squashed, dismissed as rushed by you, after seeing these screenshots.

I'm legitimately curious.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Unless this is one of those games you need to see in movement to appreciate the lighting and the subtle effects going on, this is really underwhelming.

Zaptruder

Banned
If those aren't bullshots, then they're by far and away better than PGR3.

Despite what the ridiculous(ly awesome) photomode would have you believe about PGR3 graphics, the lack of AF and 570p upscaled to 720p does hurt it.

bud

omg the xbox360 has a memory hog too lolz!

those pics make this post gold:

Originally Posted by Skate-Zilla@www.forzacentral.com
a. why would one screen shot have AntiALiasing and another not?,

b. why would one screen shot have anti-strophic filting and ther others not?

c. why would the cars have 2 different reflections on them?,

d. why would some parts of the car be relfective and parts like headlights not?

e. why would that G35 Screen have them on a Track that isnt even in the game (dont even say its Alpine Ring, look at the map, its prolly some track off of Battle Gear.

f. why would the cars be hi-res and clear and the track in the backgroudn look like it was originally a 640x480 screen scaled to 2560x1440 noise filtered and sharpened extremely then downsized back to 1280x720.

g. the rims on the shots wre radial blured in photoshop... and disgustingly i might add... the decals on some spots are blurred and not on others....

h. the Ghosting on the Beemer/Ferrari Shot.... common sense.. to get motion blur/ghosting the camera would be stationaly with cars zooming by, but that would only make the cars have the ghosting... the ghosting on these shots were done by ghosting the ENTIRE image in photoshop, why... because not only the cars are ghosting, but aspects of the track and rumble strip as well, to have the track ghosting the camera would have to be moving, and in which case the cars wouldnt have been ghosting, and dont try to say its "de-interlacing" ... the game runs 720p "P" meaning Progressive..

i. the G35 Shots Over lays are totally fake and arcade... they are perfectly on the Overscan Guidelines (no dev puts their overlays poerfectly on them most put them inside a bout 10%, and in 2K's Case outside by 10%..., and wtf is up with the standings/positions "+128"? what in tarnation is that, why go from MM:SS:Te,H,Th (M=minutes, S=seconds, Th=tenths, H = hundreds, Th=thousands) and move to something that says +128, +21-49? wtf......

j. why would there be a gamertag "Turn10" on that Gamertag List, if the Gamertag Doesnt Exist on Xbox.coms GT Data Base by searching for Gamertag?

k. the G35s Redline is 7500 not 6500, and the Tach would go up to 8000

then the obvious one... NO 3d Grass..... and the Photoshop trail that goes around every car (sorry .. im not saying how i know, but lets just say there is evidence that the cars were copy and pasted from elsewhere..)

the 3d Models used in the CGI are the Game models, so you honestly think the difference between a 3d Studio Max Rendered scene and their next gen Game engine will make the car models look that disgusting?

lets just say these are Fake, and prolly stolen renders that were cut/pasted from other screenshots.. on to drastically different and disgusting low-ress backgrounds...

seriously i'm kinda disappointed, i expected much more :( it all looks so plain.

why is next-gen doing this to me?

not that i'm ever going to buy a 360 but still

m0dus said:
Seriously, man, you didn't even notice the middle shot has no blur . . .

That's at 720p, 60fps, and hell, it may still not be content-complete, graphics-wise.

I'd say that's a definite possibility.

(And hay, is your avatar from a new trailer or what? It's pretty badass.)

Angelcurio

BenjaminBirdie said:
Explain to me how these screenshots so deftly summarize the game to you for you to be able to so confidently write it off. When you say "Rush Job" does that mean that all the dyno work they did just to capture sound was done like too quickly? All the Live integration they're planning that they can't even talk about yet, slipshod? How exactly is the full entire potential of a racing game, this racing game in particular, completely and utterly squashed, dismissed as rushed by you, after seeing these screenshots.

I'm legitimately curious.
Personally i really enjoyed the look of PGR3. Those screens are not what i was expecting for a game that have been in development for almost 18 months right now. For me, the original Forza raised the bar with the fact they will be forzing PD to add new things to series instead of keeping it stagnant. Now with this shots GT looks like it belongs in another league. I mean, what happenned with the realistic look? this is a racing simulator, not a cartoony game. Check the left tire of the first screen posted by blimblim, is that a high resolution texture?

Now that i think about it, i shouldnt have complained about GT HD.

Can they take pictures any worse than those? These guys have no goddamn clue how to show off their game.

I noticed the same thing with PGR3. Shots in the photomode thread show the game off far better than any official screens MS/Bizzare released.

shpankey

not an idiot
how can anyone not be completely dissapointed with the lighting in these shots? it's just awful. it brings the whole "overall" graphical impression way way down.

adelante

IJoel said:
Slightly better (shots,) but not as good as I expected. Why release images of an uninteresting track that does nothing to showcase lighting?
Ditto. I still don't get why companies like to release shots of tracks under dull/cloudy lighting...it's only impressive in the minds of casual gamers when you have exagerrated sunlight complete with bloom and the works...

Angelcurio said:
Personally i really enjoyed the look of PGR3. Those screens are not what i was expecting for a game that have been in development for almost 18 months right now. For me, the original Forza raised the bar with the fact they will be forzing PD to add new things to series instead of keeping it stagnant. Now with this shots GT looks like it belongs in another league. I mean, what happenned with the realistic look? this is a racing simulator, not a cartoony game. Check the left tire of the first screen posted by blimblim, is that a high resolution texture?

Now that i think about it, i shouldnt have complained about GT HD.

What on the sweet planet Earth in these screenshots tells you that they aren't doing the same thing again? An extended online experience? Live Anywhere integration? Weekly Tournaments? That's raising the bar. Comparing tire textures? That's not raising any kind of bar. You will be driving down a track at 200 mph. How the tires REACT to that road (360fps, last I heard) that's raising a bar. You are seriously focusing on the wrong things.

shpankey

not an idiot
adelante said:
Ditto. I still don't get why companies like to release shots of tracks under dull/cloudy lighting...it's only impressive in the minds of casual gamers when you have exagerrated sunlight complete with bloom and the works...
I see what you did there! [sorry no accompanying owl pic] :D

Wollan

PG2G said:
Evidently, you need a refresher...

You know, actually he really doesn't. 60fps in 1080p with 20+ cars is still quite, quite comparable. Even if the assets are of lesser quality(the cars not that much actually) it is still quite a reasonable comparison. And PD made that shit in 3 weeks.

Top Bottom