• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns Review Thread

Ok, will probably break down and get a 3DS just for this being a huge Metroid fan...and then more later.

What's a good place and price range to track one down? I don't know anything about 3DS, is there a specific model I should be looking for?

Hard for me to believe this actually turned out well seeing how much I hate MercurySteam's Castlevania efforts. Definitely psyched to see this not having turned into another Other M debacle.

Neff

Joined the early club

HhRtJz.jpg

jorgejjvr

Gold Member
I'm in Miami, and it looks like due to Irma....my Amazon order is not getting here till Monday

Damn dude, good luck. Hopefully nothing major happens to your homestay.

Thanks man.

This turned into something very positive. I noticed the address it was getting sent at, was my previous one and hence incorrect.

So I went to Amazon support, and they reached out to USPS, and corrected the address, and now they are saying it will get here TOMORROW.

"This confirms your redelivery request scheduled for 09/14/2017. Please keep this email in case you need to edit the request."

So my issue has now become a gift, I might actually get this game earlier now??

yay.

Toxi

Banned
Just realized I need some stupid accessory to use Amiibo's on my 2DS. I guess I'm never playing Hard Mode.
There's a hard mode that doesn't require the Amiibo, but the Amiibo is required for the harder than hard "Fusion Mode".

Link_enfant

I only have two questions for people who started playing the game:
- Is the game 30fps even on New 3DS?
- Is there any way to disable upgrades and abilities like in Super Metroid? (please don't answer if it spoils anything important)
I just wish I'd be able to do that again as it's been removed from every Metroid game since then :(

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone know Seattle spots that might have this early? I'm leaving town early Friday morning to go camping and would love to have this tag along on the journey!

Neff

I'll just say that prematurely stepping into a fire area has the most panic-inducing GET OUT GET OUT NOW feeling in any Metroid ever.

Did you order online or pick up instore?

They're an online retailer only as far as I know.

I preordered a few weeks back.

Lorcain

Ok, will probably break down and get a 3DS just for this being a huge Metroid fan...and then more later.

What's a good place and price range to track one down? I don't know anything about 3DS, is there a specific model I should be looking for?
If I didn't already have a 3DS/2DS I would get a refurbished one from Nintendo. They have a nice selection of refurbished New 3DS's and New 3DS XL's at good prices.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat771516

Opa-Pa

Man, a store in my town already has the game, but I have a lot of work to do both today and tomorrow... And I want to play it along with the rest of Metroid GAF in the OT... The temptation though.

So what's the word on fusion mode? Is it the same hard mode with the fusion suit, or is there more to it than that?

I've been wondering this too. I'm getting the amiibo regardless, but the Fusion suit looks ugly enough to make me not want to try it lol.

KayMote

People, I've played the game for around 3-4 hours straight now and I can happily tell you: it's the Metroid game we have all been waiting for! (No Spoilers!)

The sense of exploration and progression is marvelous as you dive deeper and deeper into SR388 - it's Metroid in its purest form: no distractions, no bullshit. And yet, there are some surprises along the way that are new in the Metroid universe. The different zones you explore are actually quite big - most of them are definitely bigger than the different sectors in Fusion or Zero Mission. You feel a sense of freedom that I have not experienced in a long time in the Metroid franchise. I may have even found a small sequence break that I think the developers were aware of though because of the game mechanics! At that point it felt almost like playing Super Metroid.

What else to say: the game looks actually gorgeous - I was honestly surprised how detailed the environments look like. Some backgrounds are even truly breathtaking and they do a lot for the world building and the overall atmosphere of the game. My biggest relief so far: it's simply fun to control Samus who is very agile and combat feels as natural as it was always part of this franchise!
The only thing I'm disappointed in so far is the soundtrack, but that's pretty much it! So far I'm loving the experience and I can't wait to jump right back in!

Friday after work I will get my collectors edition. Honestly not sure what my girlfriend whats to do that day but I doubt I have FREE time to play it. Maybe when she sleep

13ruce

Banned
Thanks man.

This turned into something very positive. I noticed the address it was getting sent at, was my previous one and hence incorrect.

So I went to Amazon support, and they reached out to USPS, and corrected the address, and now they are saying it will get here TOMORROW.

"This confirms your redelivery request scheduled for 09/14/2017. Please keep this email in case you need to edit the request."

So my issue has now become a gift, I might actually get this game earlier now??

yay.

That is very good to hear man, enjoy it tommorow! Getting a game early always feels good.

JoeInky

Yeah if you order from simplygames in the UK, you're pretty much guaranteed to get the game atleast a day early.

I got my copy today, didn't know that it wasn't out until the 15th though.

Instro

I just want it sell enough for them to consider more 2D Metroid.

The only way I can see this doing well is if they spin up a Switch port. Having said that, just the positive reception alone will probably make them consider doing another with Mercury Steam. On that front the partnership has been a success, so I could see them wanting to work with MS again.

Top Bottom