• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

COMICS!!! |OT| August 2017 | Gwenpool's milkshake brings all the boys to the yard

Wanderer5

Nice job on the thread as usual guys.

I've been neglecting my weekly books and reading some old stuff on Marvel Unlimited for a change. My conclusion from reading Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet: Thanos has issues.

Him trying to impress Death is pretty hilarious. Also, female Thanos should totally make an appearance in Infinity War/Avengers 4.

88828-138229-terraxia.jpg

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Listsssssss

Batman #28
Deathstroke #22
Green Arrow #28
Injustice 2
Nightwing #26
Superman #28

James Bond Black Box #6
East of West #34
Sex Criminals #20
Walking Dead #170

Avengers #10
Generations Banner Hulk & Totally Awesome Hulk #1
Spider-Man #19
Darth Vader #4

VanWinkle

What's in two months?

Nobody ever told me if the hardcover one has higher paper quality than the softcover one.

The hardcover has coated matte paper. The latest softcover that includes the full story LIKELY has the same paper. A few people dont like this paper stock but I ADORE it. Colors pop in it like crazy, it's thicker than regular paper, and it not as reflective as glossy.

So on a lark I picked up all of Uber in that Avatar CMX sale (I like Gillen's other stuff and people seem to like it well enough online).

Man, I don't know if it's actually a great comic or not, but it's got me in that "okay.... one more issue then i'll stop...... okay, now really one more issue then i'll stop......... this time I really mean it.... last issue for the night" loop where it's really hard to stop reading. dig the "clinical history" textboxes that are written as if they are covering the events you are seeing in a historical documentary. I dig the "what if we treated superpowered soldiers basically tanks and machinery rather than people" aspect of it too. It's not bad!

(caveat, i'm sort of a sucker for WW2 stuff in general anyway)

For Steph's 25th birthday:
Code:
[img]https://abload.de/img/78u33.jpg[/img]
this owns. Steph has been around for 25 years?!
Artgerm's Stephanie Brown Batgirl Cover is still the best.
gotta strongly disagree when stacked up against Dustin Nguyen's covers

5bf8ee169fbf4eed6d0c6937f7340ed6.jpg

see also: the cover that Wanderer5's avatar comes from
Leslie Hung revealed her variant cover for Shade #11, and it looks so good:

fuck that's good

Glix

Been getting back into comics in a big way lately and I have some questions for comic-gaf:

1. What the fuck is up with these Marvel Jim Lee covers? I guess they look cool if you have never seen them... but I HAVE all these card sets. Its just old art blown up. Its really odd and disconcerting to me.

2. Does ComicGaf love East of West of much as I do? Ive been collecting the trades, even during my hiatus, and its awesome. I never see anyone talking about it.

3. Why are Marvel trades so much more expensive then DC trades?

4. Is Generations some kind of big story, or are they just a series of one shots?

5. I randomly grabbed Secret Empire #7 without reading the rest of the event. Big mistake. What the fuck is going on? The art is nice tho.

6. Is Bachalo currently the regular artist on anything at all these days?

7. I just read Final Crisis and it is so so so awesome. Morrison is the greatest. Is there an agreed upon "best" annotations somewhere on the 'net?

8. What is Young Animal? A new DC imprint? Is Way's Doom Patrol as good as Umbrella Academy was?

9. I was looking at some of the giant mega omnibuses when I was at Midtown today.. Like Morrisons Doom Patrol, and Age of Apocalypse. Is it hard to read the actual material? It seems like it would be to me.

10. Way back when I was super into comics, I remember DC editorial being obsessed with Kingdom Come and its continuity. Now you don't see ANYTHING from it at all ever. In in, like, Crisis stuff that brings beings together from all sorts of DC realities and universes. Now it seems to be Watchmen.

I think thats it for now. Thanks in advance comicsgaf.

Been getting back into comics in a big way lately and I have some questions for comic-gaf:

1. What the fuck is up with these Marvel Jim Lee covers? I guess they look cool if you have never seen them... but I HAVE all these card sets. Its just old art blown up. Its really odd and disconcerting to me.

Marvel really feel like they're running out of variant covers themes recently(probably because there've been tons over the last years)and this is just sad since I think Lee gets not a single penny from them just reusing his old work.

Wanderer5

this owns. Steph has been around for 25 years?!

gotta strongly disagree when stacked up against Dustin Nguyen's covers

fuck that's good

Yup, August 1992 was when she made her first appearance.

And yeah the covers from Dustin Ngugyen are probably the best out of the bunch really. That cover for the last issue is really good, and a nice fit for the end.

That said, I still like this quite a bit from Artgerm

2. Does ComicGaf love East of West of much as I do? Ive been collecting the trades, even during my hiatus, and its awesome. I never see anyone talking about it.

3. Why are Marvel trades so much more expensive then DC trades?

4. Is Generations some kind of big story, or are they just a series of one shots?

5. I randomly grabbed Secret Empire #7 without reading the rest of the event. Big mistake. What the fuck is going on? The art is nice tho.

6. Is Bachalo currently the regular artist on anything at all these days?

7. I just read Final Crisis and it is so so so awesome. Morrison is the greatest. Is there an agreed upon "best" annotations somewhere on the 'net?

8. What is Young Animal? A new DC imprint? Is Way's Doom Patrol as good as Umbrella Academy was?

9. I was looking at some of the giant mega omnibuses when I was at Midtown today.. Like Morrisons Doom Patrol, and Age of Apocalypse. Is it hard to read the actual material? It seems like it would be to me.

10. Way back when I was super into comics, I remember DC editorial being obsessed with Kingdom Come and its continuity. Now you don't see ANYTHING from it at all ever. In in, like, Crisis stuff that brings beings together from all sorts of DC realities and universes. Now it seems to be Watchmen.

1. they're throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks
2. they like it, yes!
3. great question...
5. everyone hates SE
6. No, but he's doing an arc of Spider-Man/Deadpool in the fall
7. I think it's this one
8. imprint overseen by Gerard Way, all the books have been generally solid. Never read UE but Doom Patrol is great
9. No but some of these things can really only be read on a flat surface. Some shittier ones used to use glued binding which made them tough to read, but they rarely have that problem anymore
Yup, August 1992 was when she made her first appearance.

And yeah the covers from Dustin Ngugyen are probably the best out of the bunch really. That cover for the last issue is really good, and a nice fit for the end.

That said, I still like this quite a bit from Artgerm
Huh, always assumed she'd debuted in the early 2000s or something

I do like his stuff for that series, even though i don't generally dig Artgerm

Garryk

Oof, this Marvel Generations sale just did some damage. I stopped reading comics near the end of the first wave of Marvel NOW stuff so I got the last few issues of Thor (plus the first two vols of Lady Thor), All-New X-Men, and Wolvie & the X-Men. Now I'm kinda wishing that I had filled in the rest of my Uncanny Avengers collection yesterday.

Also picked up the first three issues of Jean Grey since I read a few people on here like it.

Sandfox

Marvel really feel like they're running out of variant covers themes recently(probably because there've been tons over the last years)and this is just sad since I think Lee gets not a single penny from them just reusing his old work.
Jim Lee's X-Men stuff is popular and it's not like he can create new stuff for them.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I am no fan of Steve Ditkos art. I think its clumsy and far inferior compared to Kirbey, etc.

So, I said it. Please dont shot me.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I apologize for tooting my own horn, but my comic book, The Gamma Gals, releases its trade paperback on August 30th.

It's available physically through Fanbase Press, and digitally, through comixology.

http://www.fanbasepress.com/index.php/publishing/comics/the-gamma-gals

I apologize again, but I'm just so damn excited for it. It's a lighthearted, all ages book that I've been working on since 2013, and it feels good to have all 6 issues wrapped up finally. The paperback is roughly 150 pages, written, illustrated, and lettered by yours truly! Last week I was finally able to hold the proof in my hands and flip through the pages, and it felt so amazing. The blood, sweat, tears, and sleepness nights were so worth it.

Tizoc

So hold up
Judge Dredd's Mega City 1 is really in the USA? I assumed since it's a Birtish comic, Mega City 1 was somewhere in the UK and would read his dialog in a British accent.

Him trying to impress Death is pretty hilarious. Also, female Thanos should totally make an appearance in Infinity War/Avengers 4.

88828-138229-terraxia.jpg

than-wins2.gif

She subsequently rips off Iron Man's head and beats Spider-Man to death with a rock.

Yeah I read that in her Marvel wiki page
The other info about what happens later is...kinda funny.

Also I find it hilarious that she and Thanos have the same err crotch guard :V

Lashley

Finally got around to reading James Bond vol 1: VARGR

Fantastic. Writing was great but the art is brilliant, it compliments the story so much and it's amazing at showcasing the action scenes.

HIGHLY recommended.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Finally got around to reading James Bond vol 1: VARGR

Fantastic. Writing was great but the art is brilliant, it compliments the story so much and it's amazing at showcasing the action scenes.

HIGHLY recommended.

Just looked at some preview pages, and yeah, that looks real slick. I will definitely give it a read at some point. I'm clearing out my backlog bit by bit.

EDIT: Dude, it's on sale for $6.99 on comixology. Fuck it. Bought. Will add it to the pile.

Lashley

Just looked at some preview pages, and yeah, that looks real slick. I will definitely give it a read at some point. I'm clearing out my backlog bit by bit.

EDIT: Dude, it's on sale for $6.99 on comixology. Fuck it. Bought. Will add it to the pile.
The action scenes are just 👌🏻

Aizo

Banned
Sure, you could call it that.

I can't afford to go to that one. I also read my comics left to right like a Goddamn American.
It's not a manga convention. It's for American comics. Japanese people also read American comics like goddamn Americans.
Isn't that hardcover? That looks like the one. Either way, how does the paper feel?
Also, did you take this photo? Tell me more about that CD collection in the back.

Top Bottom