• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

So a vegan just left the dinner table to sit outside

Wereroku

There's nothing respectable about killing intelligent animals and destroying the world at the same time. Eating meat is something humankind should get over at this point, considering perfectly valid & incredibly similar not-as-destructive & cruel alternatives exist.
Eh I like meat so I will probably just keep eating it.

Having done a strict no animal product diet for about two years and currently eat very little animal products (never been full vegan though as that is an ethical position), I have been in situations where I have had to eat bread and oil because the hosts were inconsiderate when given amble warning I can understand why some vegans can be very sharp when it comes to gatherings. Especially when you hear the same old shit over and over again.

However every vegan knows they are the minority and gatherings by standard mean there is going to be animal products. If you have a problem with it don't go to the meal and meet up later it is that simple.

On the other hand which is hard for many to understand vegans don't differ between an animal and a human. Would you happily sit there if you felt like somebody was unnecessarily murdered so they could eat when they had more than enough options that didn't require death.

Nephtis

If your brother in law already knew what was being made, and then what he did and left the table I'd brand him a dick and tell your sister that is his new name from that point forward. I'd also buy him a kid's table and set it up outside every time he'd go over for dinner. At the very least, I know I wouldn't invite him to dinner anymore - or I'd just make it a point to have a big, medium rare steak every time he came to the table.

If he didn't know, or thought it was gonna be a vegan-type of dinner, then I wouldn't be too upset. I mean, it just seems like something is missing. Someone didn't communicate something.

Dart

let them do what they want. when the fish is off the table and replaced with the apple pie, let them know so they can come inside.

also, lighten up.

edit: and I'm assuming they can have the coffee too.

"Okay we're done being savages, you can come in now"

Gleethor

let them do what they want. when the fish is off the table and replaced with the apple pie, let them know so they can come inside.

also, lighten up.

edit: and I'm assuming they can have the coffee too.
Why is OP the one who needs to lighten up tho

norm9

Would you happily sit there if you felt like somebody was unnecessarily murdered so they could eat when they had more than enough options that didn't require death.

Yes? I'd keep it to myself. I just have a hard time understanding not being able to keep it to oneself while a guest in someone else's home.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
But what's the real social faux pas here?

The guy who made a rude gesture at the dinner table?

Or the guy who went on an internet forum to get a couple of hundred people to criticize and insult the person behind their back so their feelings were less hurt instead of just talking to them about the rude incident in real life like a normal human being?

The next get together, I'd make a show of an all vegan spread and have the whole family eat it, especially the brother-in-law, only to reveal that I had bits of meat in every single dish I made.
Come the fuck on. This shit is so old, vegans are scum of the earth, we get it. Let's come up with weird schadenfreude fantasies about hurting them...

bluethree

Sounds super fucking sensitive. I know a guy who's an otherwise hardcore vegan who wouldn't do something like that. As much as he gets angry about animal rights he'd never shit on individuals for their choices. Glad I've never personally met someone that extreme about it.

Ploid 3.0

Way to leave an impression with the in-laws. I would probably eat something crazy with a smile if I was visiting in-laws. Heck I kinda do that now when I am invited to other's dinners for whatever occasion.

The last time I did that was my uncle and his chilli. He used some kind of healthy brown rice and I thought it was going to be flavored dirty rice so I thought it was stale or something. Ate it with a smile, and went for seconds.

Or the guy who went on an internet forum to get a couple of hundred people to criticize and insult the person behind their back so their feelings were less hurt instead of just talking to them about the rude incident in real life like a normal human being?

I got the impression that the OP was looking for advice on how to handle the situation, not to point a finger at him and make fun. People did that on their own.

Figgles

Your parents were respectful of their lifestyle and provided a vegan option. He was a disrespectful ass hole. Next time serve nothing but animal products, and make the vegan option a bowl of wilted iceberg lettuce.

You read the whole thread, but couldn't be bothered to notice where the OP did talk to them. He was trying to see if he was out of line, for one.

Famassu

How does anyone find out someone is vegan?
They'll tell you
Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

norm9

Haha, this is the most idiotic, dumbest fucking joke considering meat eaters can't stop cumming bucketloads when anyone even mentions bacon or letting vegans know how delicious they find one meat product or the other even when the vegan isn't particularly outcoming or vocal about his/her choice.

And of course vegans have to mention it. Often they are offered something they can't eat or use due to being vegan and have to give a reason. Most vegans just mention their veganism as a fact about themselves. Far more meatheads are very confrontational about it and will be all "I'm going to go home and eat a 800 gram steak omnomnomnomnomnom and fucking like it", which is far more pathetic than mentioning veganism

But hey, it's obvious most people here have absolutely no convictions they live their life by, at least nothing that would require them to change any habits they have or for them to put in any effort or stuff that cause any inconvenience to them. So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

You need a snickers.

Shaanyboi

Banned
Sounds like a self-righteous prick...

You offered him a meal specifically catered to his needs, and he decided to give you guys shit for your own food choices which he never had to take part in. Let him have his tantrum. Ignore him.

SomTervo

Me and my gf are vegans and we would never do this. We eat with meat-eating family all the time.

Especially if they prepared an alternative for you, that's inconsiderate as fuck.

No other vegans we know would do this, either. They all happily eat around omnis all the time.

You can't guilt trip people into thinking or behaving a certain way, especially when it's something that has only recently become really problematic, like eating meats.

mernst23

Brother in law's gaf account right here.

Pinkuss

How does anyone find out someone is vegan?
They'll tell you

Or they generally won't until food is mentioned then meat eaters will shout bacon and be dicks.

I went out with a girl many years ago, wasn't sure how to mention it so only did when she offered me pie after a day. (She later finished with me because we couldn't go out; pretty sure she only ate Mcdonalds and pub food, the kind of pub which had Vegan options.).

g11

Hubby really sounds like the worst stereotype of a vegan. The holier than thou type. I'd have locked the door behind him/them.

valkyre

Overreacting/hyperbole in regards to everything in life is just bad.

Whether it is vegans, political correctness, feminism, activism of any kind etc.

IMO the guy walking away from the table is an incredibly rude and pathetic behaviour.

I dont mind vegans, i respect their choice, but there has to be a compromise from both me and them to actually have that respect for each other.

If a guy walked away from a dinner table I made for them (including food of their choice), just because there is meat on the table for others, I would never ever invite them again. Now I get this is family situation for you, but fuck this pretentious bullshit.

Like I said, everything is good in logical doses. When you go overboard with it as if you are on some crusade or something, thats when you need to be taught a lesson.

So continue being massive judgmental assholes towards people who just want a better world with less cruelty.

textbook example of contradicting yourself

That's disrespectful and dickish behavior by your brother-in-law. If your sister didn't go outside to cuss him out, I hope you gave her the...

tumblr_nuu6idjJYK1qijab8o1_500.gif

speech

I don't eat fish and I hate the smell of it, but I'll happily sit with family who do like to eat it and enjoy my alternative option that they cooked especially for me. He's just being plain rude.

lmao look at this try hard

Moff

People, especially family, like to have their meals together. His behavior was rude, disrespectful and way out of line. I'd probably recommend a restaurant to him for the rest of the vacation and surely would no longer bother cooking vegan meals for him.

C

Contica

Unconfirmed Member
Er, we are talking those who are vegans by choice, not people will allergies or medically-caused dietary restrictions. Wut

What difference does it make? When I cook, it's for everyone invited.

If I were inviting you over (just you guys), I would cook vegan because I'm hosting you guys.

If it's a larger gathering, then I would prepare a separate vegan dish or vegan version of the food I'm making, because I'm hosting a variety of people, and making it a whole vegan meal limits the experience for everyone unnecessarily. And I would do my darndest to ensure the vegan food tastes good and isn't seen as an afterthought.

Where we likely disagree is that I don't enjoy vegan food neeeearly as much as non-vegan food. I have two sets of friends who are vegan and I'm always underwhelmed by the food when they host. So when I see you say that it'd be nice if the whole meal could be vegan, it feels selfish because to me it comes off as you asking the larger group to submit themselves to your preference.

Does that make sense?

Sure, that makes perfect sense. Maybe they're just not good cooks though? Hehe.
I think I made myself easy to misunderstand earlier. If we're talking bigger groups and multiple meals, that's one thing. I would never expect every dish to be vegan if there were, several of them. I'm used to cooking vegan, most people aren't.

v1lla21

Guy was a dick but then I wouldn't do anything about it at that moment. I just would never invite em again for being rude as fuck.

Why did he go the dinner in the first place? He probably already knew most of your family isn't vegan and most likely wouldn't be eating vegan for the occasion.
So why would he go to the dinner anyway, except to throw spectacle? I bet he's testing your sister. What a manipulative little shit.

Your posts in this thread have been embarrassing to say the least.

Most vegans I know acknowledge that people,eat meat and that's that. They aren't going to spout their views on the subject as a guest unless the hosts or other other guests inquired about it. At least the family was considerate enough to make a balanced meal for the couple, because not everyone does that.
It is difficult and I doubt he would be easily swayed to compromise at a dinner setting if he left trying to make a statement out of it.
I doubt he converted anyone to veganism with his announcement.

People, especially family, like to have their meals together. His behavior was rude, disrespectful and way out of line. I'd probably recommend a restaurant to him for the rest of the vacation and surely would no longer bother cooking vegan meals for him.
Makes me wonder how he would cope in a restaurant situation - does everyone have to order vegan?

akira28

Why is OP the one who needs to lighten up tho

well he can try to out-baby the vegan dude, or he can be so much the bigger guy that he's not even mad. so magnanimous and on top of the emotional iq that he appreciates their sudden need for fresh air, and hopes they get more than enough of it.

because its not even worth it?

Top Bottom