• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone 7 | OT | Pre-order Sept 9, Available Sept 16

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man, Virgin fucked up on that impulse buy
If I order before 1PM tomorrow I should still get it in before the shipping deadline. Maybe I can spend the extra $12 for next day shipping.

Edit: I got two text messages from my credit card company saying a hold or charge for the total amount was placed on my card... twice. Because I tried ordering twice since it gave me an error both times. (My card only has a limit that won't even cover a second one anyway.) But I go to CapitalOne and check my transactions and it says they were charged, then immediately refunded both times. So hopefully that just means their servers were down so they couldn't process the order and immediately returned the money both times?

If I order before 1PM tomorrow I should still get it in before the shipping deadline. Maybe I can spend the extra $12 for next day shipping.

Edit: I got two text messages from my credit card company saying a hold or charge for the total amount was placed on my card... twice. Because I tried ordering twice since it gave me an error both times. (My card only has a limit that won't even cover a second one anyway.) But I go to CapitalOne and check my transactions and it says they were charged, then immediately refunded both times. So hopefully that just means their servers were down so they couldn't process the order and immediately returned the money both times?

You'll be super happy with 7+.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Just get the 7+. I have one and it's fine, though not spectacular. It's too big for what it is.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Yeah so I tried one more time and it failed. Another charge that was immediately canceled. So I tried to call Virgin directly and the stupid system gives you the runaround. The website says you can order on the phone, the phone system says you can order online. Hahaha. Nice one guys. So after trying a few times to get a person I tried a trick I read about and just kept hitting 0 over and over until it gave me a person.

We're now trying to see if we can just order it on the phone. But dammit, now it's too close to 1PM and I'll probably miss the shipping cutoff. Great.

Edit: I may have made it in time. And I chose the next day shipping so if I'm lucky, it'll arrive tomorrow. I don't know why they don't just let you call the ordering department directly. I had to get an operator just to do that. Even though the website said I could order over the phone.

Edit: Heh. I just checked my email* and there's an email from CapitalOne asking if the purchase I made was legit. I guess since I already made the purchase a different way I should just ignore it. If I say yes it's me, it might send me a second phone, if I say no, it'll take me to a card change department. So I'll just act like I already cancelled the purchase. At least now I know why it wasn't going through. But fuck, email. I always forget it exists.

*I hate email. It's so clunky in today's world. I get so much all the time that it usually becomes transparent to my daily activities to the point I don't even pay attention to it. I missed TWO separate AppleCare reminder emails on two separate Macs in the past because I never check my thousands of unread emails.

Tom_Cody

I'm planning to buy a 7 Plus as my 5S is finally dying. Any advice on deals or anything else I should know?

I used to be on a business plan (family business that has now been sold) so I'm planning to start a new personal plan for myself with the purchase of the phone. I'm assuming that I will be able to get a reasonably good deal since I will be signing up for a new plan, but I could technically get it through my old plan and then transfer over later if the numbers make more sense in that direction.

Shizuka

Here I am, two months later. It turns out that the regular iPhone 7 was too small for me, now I'll have to wait a few months before I get the chance to replace it for a 7 Plus. At least I'll get the Red one, that one is gorgeous.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Funny story, but my 7+ arrived tuesday afternoon about 24 hours after I ordered it. Before it could even get in the tracking system. Of course it was after I wrote a letter to support asking about it. (I wrote another one to cancel that report)

My first Plus model. So here are my impressions after a few days:

It's big.Yeah I knew it was big. That's why I got it. But it's huge. I feel like I'm going to drop it all the time. I need to get a case, nothing thick that adds a lot of weight and bulk to it, but something that can at least give me peace of mind that it won't shatter just because I let it slip. It's basically a tiny iPad. I wish the phone was smaller, but the screen was the same. I know rumors about the 8 say it'll be the same size with a larger screen, but I think it should be the opposite. Keep the 5.5" screen but trim be bezels down a lot. TBH the main reason I got it was because of its landscape mode everywhere feature. Which I am shocked a few apps still don't support. Including Music.app. Seriously? Every app should have landscape mode. No excuses. (Except games. Even video players.) None of FaceBooks apps have one either. Twitter does. Even the Widget screen does. (Though I wish the lock screen did.) Heck, Siri has landscape mode. I opened all my apps at one yesterday just to check which ones had it. Was pleasantly surprised most do, but a bunch of stragglers, including some Apple ones, don't.

The keyboard is difficult in both positions. When in portrait mode, the keyboard is too low on the screen. I wish I could shift it upwards like on the iPad to give it like a half inch or so of padding below it so I can slide the phone more comfortably down on my hands to type. And in landscape mode, the main keys are all in the center. But I keep hitting the outer keys. Once again, I wish it had a Split Keyboard view like the iPad. Split the main keys and put the extra side stuff in the center.

So much faster than my 5C. Like that needs to be said.

3D Touch is really nice. I find myself experimenting a lot. Interesting that the only app that doesn't have a menu on its home screen icon is Find my iPhone. I'm sure they could have figured out something to put there. Though I do wish I could just disable the Share App menu item. Even Tiny Tower uses 3D Touch for previewing floor information. I was shocked that NimbleBit put that much care into it. Some apps use it so intuitively. But some apps are still behind. FaceBook seems to ignore the new iOS/iPhone cool stuff. No landscape, no 3D Touch, but Twitter embraces both. It's nice to preview a Tweet from the lock screen notifications without opening it first. No more having to open the Tweet to read the rest of it because it got cut off. And I can preview a News story when the headline is clickbait. 3D Touch is a godsend. I do wish the Widgets that show up under home screen icon presses could be set to their larger modes though. Right now they're all in their smaller 1 line mode without a ”More" button to click.

The haptic feedback on the home button is so good. It really feels like it's a button. Is this how the new magic trackpads work because if so then I'm all ready to upgrade my laptop to get a trackpad that clicks again.

Touch ID is wonderful. And oh my goodness is it fast. Like so fast I rarely see the lock screen even when I meant to see it. I just have to get used to either raising it to wake it or hitting the power button or using a non-registered finger if I want to see the lock screen.

Can we PLEASE just get 4x4 icons in folders on the Plus? I mean seriously. And maybe a 5th column and 7th row on the home screen? It just feels like a lot of wasted space. At the very least just let me do 4x4 folders. Or better yet, 4x5 or 4x6. Just redesign them to work and look more like their iOS 6 grandfathers. You could fit so many more icons in one view with that and they resized to the content.

The battery feels so much better. I'm so used to having to charge my phone after only using it for 15-30 minutes on the browser without WiFi. Now I feel like it might last forever. I haven't stress tested it yet, my old phone used to lose charge just sitting locked in my pocket. This one never breaks the 80% barrier except when I spent 2 hours playing Dragon Quest VIII the other day. (Which I've spent a total of 7.6 hours on battery since I got it.)

I set it up as a new phone. Didn't even bother with restoring from a backup like I said I would. (I still have all my old text messages backed up and archived on my Mac, iCloud and on my old phone which is on Airplane mode right now and can easily be turned back on if I need to.) While it causes annoyances, I have to log in everywhere again and set things up, most stuff was restored from the cloud. I'm glad I did, even if it was just a placebo. Feels nice to be fresh. However my three Dragon Quest games (I, II and VIII) lost their saves completely. I and II because they don't even have cloud saving and VIII because the current version is broken with iCloud somehow. I try to use it and it says it's not configured correctly. Which makes no sense. So I don't know if it's my end or the dev's end. Either way it was fine. I started over from the beginning and have been loving playing on a much faster machine with a beautiful display. The game looks wonderful too. It's great that they updated it for Plus models. It's such a crisp picture. I just wish they'd implemented a landscape option before leaving it behind. I'd be much more comfortable playing it like a PSP or something. Also Tiny Tower, which I still play, did restore from iCloud after 30 seconds, and is so fast it's wonderful. It used to take forever to launch, had so much UI lag, and felt slow. But now it loads in 2 seconds, responds instantly and is so much better. Even if I do have all the floors and it's not really worth it to play anymore. It's fun.

I'll find more to talk about I'm sure. So far not many complaints or issues. Mostly things that could be fixed with software if Apple were inclined. (Like making the vertical keyboard have an option to be raised by half an inch or so) So far I haven't installed any betas on it yet. I want to, but I feel I should just stick to official releases the point updates and only do beta when the iOS 11 beta comes out just to have fun with it. I don't know. I know I will though.

TL;DR: I made the right choice. Bring on the iPhone 8, It'll just make the 9 much better when the time comes to replace this one.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Abed, just get a nice case.
I just have to pick a good one. But I'm contemplating whether to go all out and get one that has a fold over cover (With window for checking the time) that can be used as a stand. I mean obviously my routine is changing. No longer do I just take my phone out all the time, but when I do I am ready to use both hands if needed. Or if there's no window, I wonder if Hey Siri could hear me from my back pocket. ("Hey Siri, what time is it?" I usually put my phone in my pocket upside down so the speakers and microphone are sticking out to hear notifications.) I'm wondering if a flip over cover style case would just make me frustrated and change my routine way too much. Maybe just a case without a front cover. But I'd still be afraid to break the screen if I dropped it in the wrong way. How durable is the glass on the 7? Is it unbreakable yet? lol

I'd be happy splurging on an official silicone Apple case. (I don't care that it's $35) Like a red one or that nice midnight blue one. I really hate to lose the beautiful black metal finish on the back though. I waited this long for an actual black iPhone (Since the 4 was the last real black model, though I owned a white one.) it seems a shame to hide it. But I'd rather be protected.

I'd also thought about replacing my wallet with a case that both covers the screen and holds money and credit cards. Just to kill both birds at once. As well as one that also comes with a stylus for drawing with, not that I can draw anymore. (I used to be able to.)

Hell, I even considered the battery case, as ugly as it may be, or a third party battery case. Though my battery seems to be more than I need so that would probably be a waste.

I mean I plan on keeping this for at least 2 years. So I need something that'll last. I've gotten cheap cases before. They suck. I liked the case I had on my iPad with its fold over cover that acted like a stand.

Vyer

Man, Abed going Phone as New feels like big news. :)

I definitely think it helps to start fresh from time to time.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
my godfather is 73 and he wants his first cellphone ever.

well, he decided he wants an iphone 7 plus. So he gave me the money and I bought him one. After using it and trying it, b/c I can only bring it to him next saturday....god damn I never knew I'd like such a big phone.
I don't like the iPhone 6/6s/7 size and thought because of that I'd never like the even bigger iPhones.
I was wrong.
My iPhone SE is tiny now lol...

And that camera is amazing.
I want one and can't afford it. god damn. :D Can't wait to see his face when he uses it for the first time.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Man, Abed going Phone as New feels like big news. :)

I definitely think it helps to start fresh from time to time.
I agree. And I didn't think you would do it Abed
The only reason I was keeping my backup and restoring from it was because I need to keep some (Read: Thousands of) text messages from a certain someone that I might need for a court case in the future. So I can't lose that. So I'm just keeping the old phone, the old backups on both the computer and cloud and I'll have them for later. Starting fresh was nice. Saved all images from the messages to my Photos Library that I wanted to keep. And I took the plunge.

It was mostly painless. Most important data is synced to iCloud. Reminders, notes, preferred cities in Weather, (Which also sync to macOS as well) events, contacts, News favorites, etc. Also Keychain so my browser passwords are still there. And when they aren't, I have 1Password integration.

Some stuff doesn't sync though, like alarms (I wish they did. And timers. macOS needs a timer function I can set with Siri. But whatever, now I have a phone where Hey, Siri works so I guess I can just use that.) didn't sync. I had a lot of them all set from over time. I work retail so times are always changing. I pretty much had one for every hour and could go through and set whichever one I need without having to create a new one just because of this. That didn't sync which is fine. I just create them again as I go.

I had to re download all my apps again (Only like 30 apps) and open them and enter my passwords again, but that's fine. Now they're entered and all set up.

Touch ID is my favorite thing ever. Especially all my apps that support it. My banking app, credit card app, 1Password, all have Touch ID support. And since it's so fast, it's so painless to launch those apps. Unfortunately the one straggler, who seems to be extremely behind, is my car insurance app, Travelers☂️, whose app is so out of touch. It doesn't store my username at all so I have to enter both. And it has no Touch ID support. AND it still isn't updated for larger iPhone sizes. The keyboard is still an old 4" style with huge keys. I have to use it once a month and it's like going back in time. I should send them an email. It really needs an update. Maybe I'll post a rating on the App Store.

Admodieus

I currently have a 6S Plus, which I may give to my fiance whose Nexus 5X is dying by the day. I've been looking to go back down to a regular sized phone, as the Plus is just too much to comfortably carry in pockets or take running.

My biggest holdup with getting a 7 is the lack of headphone jack. What's the consensus on a good pair of bluetooth headphones for everyday use as well as physical activity like running? I read conflicting reports of the Beats X and Powerbeats 3. Am I better off just going Jaybird X3's?

Vyer

I currently have a 6S Plus, which I may give to my fiance whose Nexus 5X is dying by the day. I've been looking to go back down to a regular sized phone, as the Plus is just too much to comfortably carry in pockets or take running.

My biggest holdup with getting a 7 is the lack of headphone jack. What's the consensus on a good pair of bluetooth headphones for everyday use as well as physical activity like running? I read conflicting reports of the Beats X and Powerbeats 3. Am I better off just going Jaybird X3's?

Jay birds are pretty solid, though I would guess you'd have some extras in regards to features with the new beats

Admodieus

Jay birds are pretty solid, though I would guess you'd have some extras in regards to features with the new beats

Yeah I want a pair that I can wear on a commute everyday, so earbuds instead of full-on headphones, but also need some sweat/water resistance so I can use them while I run. I keep reading conflicting reports about how sweat resistant the Beats X and PowerBeats 3 are.

marrec

Banned

Just got the Beats X and they're solid. Dunno what you're hearing but really the only negative is the sound quality, which is a bit better than the Jaybird 3s (the highs are a bit piercing at times tho). It's probably a bit better than the Ear Pods.

Took them for a 3m run last night and they were the most comfortable headphones I've ever worn. If you care about sound quality a lot though, you might wanna look at something else... something not wireless lol.

I roll with PowerBeats 3 every day. Battery life is phenomenal. There's no cap on the Micro USB port anymore, but sweat resistance seems mainly the same as previous models?

CydonianKnight

Neo Member
Figured this would be the best place to ask; can anyone recommend a good solution for charging your phone and listening to music at the same time sans bluetooth headphones? I'd like the option to alternate between an adapter situation and my current bluetooth set up.

In case it happens to anyone else, my phone had an issue yesterday where the screen goes black and unresponsive, despite it still being on and sending notifications to my watch. I was out at the time and tried to reset it a bunch of times with no success. I eventually found out somewhere online, that to reset an iPhone 7 you have to hold the sleep/wake button and the volume down button (instead of the home button in previous models). Anyway, I figured people may find that useful to know if they didn't already.

Figured this would be the best place to ask; can anyone recommend a good solution for charging your phone and listening to music at the same time sans bluetooth headphones? I'd like the option to alternate between an adapter situation and my current bluetooth set up.
Buy an adapter. Don't know if they support mics yet.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I haven't said anything about the headphone jack yet apparently.

Well, I miss it, but also I don't. Back when I had my old phone I would always need to charge while listening to my music because the battery was so small and short lived. Now my phone lasts forever, even when playing Dragon Quest VIII (I could probably get 6 solid hours of gameplay before the battery dies) which I've gotten back into. So if I need to wear headphones while playing, I will just not charge it. Also when I go on break at work either I A) sit in my car which has a charging cable and plays music through it out of the car speakers so I don't need headphones or B) I sit in the break room where I don't have a charger anyway so I can wear headphones. The only other time I would be listening to music is if I'm taking a walk somewhere and won't be charging or driving my car. So I really don't miss it that much. So far I haven't had any point where I said "Oh bother! I need to charge AND listen to music at once!"

Really my only gripes are that the headphones come in a cardboard holder in the box instead of the wonderful plastic case the old Ear Buds came with on my goddamned 5C! That's like the WORST way of skimping, Apple. Not only that but it created more waste by using cardboard they're just throwing away instead of a case that will be used over and over. I hope that extra few bucks margin was worth it. Steve would never have let it happen. (Fortunately I still have my old case from my old 5C buds that died anyway. I'm sure they'll still fit probably. Though it really is a pain to take them out and put them away all the time. I really want to invest in Air Pods.)

At least it lets me have headphones dedicated to my computer and ones dedicated to my phone. But man I'd really like them Air Pods. They should release them in black.

Really my only gripes are that the headphones come in a cardboard holder in the box instead of the wonderful plastic case the old Ear Buds came with on my goddamned 5C! That's like the WORST way of skimping, Apple. Not only that but it created more waste by using cardboard they're just throwing away instead of a case that will be used over and over. I hope that extra few bucks margin was worth it. Steve would never have let it happen. (Fortunately I still have my old case from my old 5C buds that died anyway. I'm sure they'll still fit probably. Though it really is a pain to take them out and put them away all the time. I really want to invest in Air Pods.)

Instead of using plastic that 99% of people DON'T reuse and just throw away they used this cardboard that can be easily recycled and is likely from recycled material itself

Positive move IMO

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Instead of using plastic that 99% of people DON'T reuse and just throw away they used this cardboard that can be easily recycled and is likely from recycled material itself

Positive move IMO
But I wanted a caaaaaaaaaaase. (Eh, whatever, I found my old one.)

The problem is, why do you assume people will recycle the cardboard but not the plastic case? See I don't think it's a win-win either way. Because there'll always be people who throw away both and won't bother recycling. At least if it's a case, people might get the point and keep using it to keep their headphones from getting tangled and ending up in Jeff Goldblum's art shop in Portlandia.

But I wanted a caaaaaaaaaaase. (Eh, whatever, I found my old one.)

The problem is, why do you assume people will recycle the cardboard but not the plastic case? See I don't think it's a win-win either way. Because there'll always be people who throw away both and won't bother recycling. At least if it's a case, people might get the point and keep using it to keep their headphones from getting tangled and ending up in Jeff Goldblum's art shop in Portlandia.

Because even if they throw away the case the cardboard is MUCH less harmful on the environment than hard plastic

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I have a question about power draw with my 7+. I have a feeling it uses a lot more power output to charge. The first day I got it I was in my car and had it plugged into a cigarette adapter. The cigarette plugs are labeled 12v. But what I didn't know is the adapter was only 5v. So while I was sitting there using my phone with it plugged in, it was still slowly draining.

How many volts or watts or whatever does a 7+ need? How much power does my MacBook output? All the little power bricks I have that aren't made by Apple say 5v on them. How many is the one that came with my phone?

I have a question about power draw with my 7+. I have a feeling it uses a lot more power output to charge. The first day I got it I was in my car and had it plugged into a cigarette adapter. The cigarette plugs are labeled 12v. But what I didn't know is the adapter was only 5v. So while I was sitting there using my phone with it plugged in, it was still slowly draining.

How many volts or watts or whatever does a 7+ need? How much power does my MacBook output? All the little power bricks I have that aren't made by Apple say 5v on them. How many is the one that came with my phone?

All iDevices run at 5V. What you need to look for is the Amps, which together make up total Watts. A x V = W

So if 5V is constant, the amps are what changes to total power draw. The iPhone charger it comes with is 1A x 5V = 5W

iPad chargers are 2.4A x 5W = 12W. iPhone 6 and above support up to 2.4A

Amps are pushed, they're pulled. So if you plug a device that only supports 5W into a 12W charger it'll only get 5W, no overpowering or anything

I suspect your car charger is below even 1A. I've seen a couple that are 900mA which is awful

Your MacBook can talk specifically to iDevices and supply up to 2.4A, but for other devices likely won't give that amount since they don't speak the same language. USB2.0 by default gives 500mA and USB3.0 gives 900mA but different connectors can do more like in my example

Shizuka

Decided to sell my black iPhone 7 128GB for a red iPhone 7 Plus 128GB. In the end, I couldn't adjust to a smaller size and went back to the Plus model. Glad to get the red one, it's stunning.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
All iDevices run at 5V. What you need to look for is the Amps, which together make up total Watts. A x V = W

So if 5V is constant, the amps are what changes to total power draw. The iPhone charger it comes with is 1A x 5V = 5W

iPad chargers are 2.4A x 5W = 12W. iPhone 6 and above support up to 2.4A

Amps are pushed, they're pulled. So if you plug a device that only supports 5W into a 12W charger it'll only get 5W, no overpowering or anything

I suspect your car charger is below even 1A. I've seen a couple that are 900mA which is awful

Your MacBook can talk specifically to iDevices and supply up to 2.4A, but for other devices likely won't give that amount since they don't speak the same language. USB2.0 by default gives 500mA and USB3.0 gives 900mA but different connectors can do more like in my example
I checked and it seems both my cigarette lighter chargers are 5W/1A. But I also did a test (Drove 3 hours with GPS on) with it plugged into one and indeed I did run down the battery that fast. So I guess I can't use them at all with my Plus. They're useless.

Fortunately my Focus has two USB chargers and two cigarette lighter ports (12W each. Not sure about the USB ports.) so I can plug it into the USB port, but there's a problem. Maybe someone can help. When I plug it into the USB port, Sync switches to the USB port for output, which is fine, as it worked fine the first day. It was smoothly switching between playing over USB if plugged in, and BlueTooth when unplugged. But then suddenly it stopped outputting audio over USB when plugged in. So I'm always immediately switching the audio output in iOS when I plug it in.

Of course, as I type this I realize I never double-checked to make sure the volume wasn't accidentally set to zero. Though I don't think it was. I would have noticed the volume bar being down low by now. But next time I get in my car I will definitely check it out and make sure, if only to scratch it off the list.

If I'm wrong and the volume is fine, I need to figure out how to make my car ignore my phone over USB or make my phone ignore my car and only use BlueTooth Sync for audio.

I checked and it seems both my cigarette lighter chargers are 5W/1A. But I also did a test (Drove 3 hours with GPS on) with it plugged into one and indeed I did run down the battery that fast. So I guess I can't use them at all with my Plus. They're useless.

Fortunately my Focus has two USB chargers and two cigarette lighter ports (12W each. Not sure about the USB ports.) so I can plug it into the USB port, but there's a problem. Maybe someone can help. When I plug it into the USB port, Sync switches to the USB port for output, which is fine, as it worked fine the first day. It was smoothly switching between playing over USB if plugged in, and BlueTooth when unplugged. But then suddenly it stopped outputting audio over USB when plugged in. So I'm always immediately switching the audio output in iOS when I plug it in.

Of course, as I type this I realize I never double-checked to make sure the volume wasn't accidentally set to zero. Though I don't think it was. I would have noticed the volume bar being down low by now. But next time I get in my car I will definitely check it out and make sure, if only to scratch it off the list.

If I'm wrong and the volume is fine, I need to figure out how to make my car ignore my phone over USB or make my phone ignore my car and only use BlueTooth Sync for audio.

Or just buy a better cigarette charger, save the hassle

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Like I said earlier my 73 year old godfather got an iphone 7+.

he has diabetes type 2 and asked me about apps for managing it.

anyone here with diabetes type 2 who uses his/her iphone for checking their blood sugar/managing their diabetes?

CTLance

Like I said earlier my 73 year old godfather got an iphone 7+.

he has diabetes type 2 and asked me about apps for managing it.

anyone here with diabetes type 2 who uses his/her iphone for checking their blood sugar/managing their diabetes?
If I may be so bold as to piggyback on that request. My dad was recently diagnosed with diabetes as well, and if there's some known-good apps for that general area of interest it would be awesome to know. I need to beat that pigheaded b.. I mean, need to lovingly coax my most beloved father into not killing himself prematurely, but since I'm still reading up on the subject, I wouldn't even know where to begin, apps-wise.

DOWN

Banned
For whatever reason I kind of ignored it for a while. But I've been using it a lot more the last few months. Really like the pictures it creates.

Am I imagining things or was it once marked 'beta' and no longer is?
Yeah I think it was only beta for the first couple months

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
For whatever reason I kind of ignored it for a while. But I've been using it a lot more the last few months. Really like the pictures it creates.

Am I imagining things or was it once marked 'beta' and no longer is?
My friend at work pointed it out to me and reminded me it was a thing. She didn't know where it was until I found it under Portrait. It's really really awesome.

Top Bottom