• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"I Need a New PC!" 2017 The Ryzing of Kaby Lake and NVMwhee!

taoofjord

The be quiet silent wings 3 fans and the Noctua NH-D15S are close to inaudible under load. I'm in love.

If you have an extra chassis fan pin on your motherboard, just put two front intake fans which helps a lot.

Awesome, I have a second Be Quiet fan that I was going to return. Thanks!

Bustanen

Hmm interesting. That’s with a 140mm intake fan, 120mm exhaust fan, and a Noctua NH-D15S, too. I’m a little concerned I put too much thermal paste on the CPU as I had to take the cooler off to plug in the CPU fans when I was building and saw some extra paste around the edge of the CPU’s surface. I only put slightly less than the size of a pea though.
It won't really matter because the paste under the heatspreader is crappy. I would recommend delidding if you're going to overclock.

Kysen

The fan header mod for the 1080 hybrid kit worked, finally the idle pump noise has been stifled. I have a quiet pc again.

pommedeterre

Neo Member

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Could've bought an i7 8700K from Microcenter today but decided fuck em and their price gouging. I'd rather wait.

Decider

Any word on an actual release date for the ASUS Maximus X Code, beyond a vague projection of "November"? My 8700k should be arriving on the first and I'd like to get on with the build sooner than later.

Mugy

Its the difference between the 1050Ti and the 1060GTX 3GB worth the 50$? btw do you guys think its good idea to wait to black friday to see some price drops on graphic cards or hardware in general?

Vortex566

I have an i7 3770, 8GB DDR3 and 1060 GTX 6GB

I'm thinking about a new CPU and motherboard. However, I'm not sure if I should go for an i5 8400 and upgrade my RAM to 16GB DDR4. Would this be my best option or would the money better be spent on upgrading to 1080 GTX?

Zojirushi

I have an i7 3770, 8GB DDR3 and 1060 GTX 6GB

I'm thinking about a new CPU and motherboard. However, I'm not sure if I should go for an i5 8400 and upgrade my RAM to 16GB DDR4. Would this be my best option or would the money better be spent on upgrading to 1080 GTX?

Depends a little on your use case but generally speaking I'm gonna say go CPU/RAM first or else you're gonna end up with a huge difference between CPU and GPU performance which will result in pretty nasty framerate inconsistencies in a lot of games.

That new CPU however will most likely be fine for a couple of GPU upgrades in the years to come.

Trying to get the BIOS updated on an ASUS Prime B350M-A CSM.

The website shows 0902, but when I try to update to it, it's not showing up in the EZ Flash utility. The network option doesn't show it, and the BIOS isn't able to see it on my thumb drive...

Edit: ...needed to force FAT32, BIOS couldn't read exFAT.

Still not sure why it's not available on the network connected BIOS update tool.

Zweizer

Banned
Hi guys! First time posting round these parts.

I'm looking into building a PC right now. A question for those living in Europe: how is Newegg international? Normally I'd try to buy the parts from Amazon or something, but Newegg's prices are crazy cheap. Even with a 100€ shipping fee I'd still save 100€ at least. However I'm worried about their customer assistance should something get damaged or go missing.

Zojirushi

I'm looking into building a PC right now. A question for those living in Europe: how is Newegg international? Normally I'd try to buy the parts from Amazon or something, but Newegg's prices are crazy cheap. Even with a 100€ shipping fee I'd still save 100€ at least. However I'm worried about their customer assistance should something get damaged or go missing.

You're aware of taxes and customs right? E.g +19% VAT and another +12% or something for Germany as an example. Stuff would have to be exceptionally cheap for that to still pay off.

Vortex566

Depends a little on your use case but generally speaking I'm gonna say go CPU/RAM first or else you're gonna end up with a huge difference between CPU and GPU performance which will result in pretty nasty framerate inconsistencies in a lot of games.

That new CPU however will most likely be fine for a couple of GPU upgrades in the years to come.

I actually got a new case today, so think I I will for with the CPU and RAM upgrade.

Zweizer

Banned
You're aware of taxes and customs right? E.g +19% VAT and another +12% or something for Germany as an example. Stuff would have to be exceptionally cheap for that to still pay off.

Ah you're right. I thought it was included in the shopping cart, but it seems like it's only shown right before confirmation.

Guess I'll stick to more local retailers then. Thanks!

Unless you hope to get it without having to pay VAT... it's definitely not worth it. Depending where exactly in Europe you are from, it might be worth it to buy in another European country, though. I.e. for example the Nordic countries are usually pretty expensive.

Zweizer

Banned
Unless you hope to get it without having to pay VAT... it's definitely not worth it. Depending where exactly in Europe you are from, it might be worth it to buy in another European country, though. I.e. for example the Nordic countries are usually pretty expensive.

Which countries in particular are cheaper? I live in Belgium.

greelay

I want to swap my ssd from my laptop and switch it with the ssd in my desktop. They are virtually the same except the sizes are different and I want the bigger one in the desktop. I was planning on doing a clean install of windows, but windows is not letting me choose the drive I want to install Windows on. The last time I did this, I went to reset the password and it prompted me to see what drive I want the os stored on. I am not sure how to do this now.

Zojirushi

I guess I should wait for the i5 8400 to come into stock? I was looking at buying an i5 7500?

Wait for the 8400. It looks like it's gonna be one hell of a gaming CPU.

Edit: You should probably also wait for cheaper motherboards to come out. The z370 ones right now are for overclocking 8700ks and 8600ks. Not sure what the other chipset will be called.

Wait for the 8400. It looks like it's gonna be one hell of a gaming CPU.

Edit: You should probably also wait for cheaper motherboards to come out. The z370 ones right now are for overclocking 8700ks and 8600ks. Not sure what the other chipset will be called.

I think B370 and H370, but I'm not positive.

Guys how often does Intel come out with new Pentium processors? I want to build a budget PC from zero, built around a GTX 750 ti and so far the best CPU combo for it is a G4560. Should I wait longer than December to build this?

Guys how often does Intel come out with new Pentium processors? I want to build a budget PC from zero, built around a GTX 750 ti and so far the best CPU combo for it is a G4560. Should I wait longer than December to build this?

I have the same question and I'm not sure. You could also grab the G4600 btw, so keep an eye on its price/availability as well.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.

i thought they released one every generation? to be fair i've not been in the PC world for long.

i imagine we'll be getting a Coffeelake Pentium soon enough alongside the lower end/locked cpus. If not then definitely when Cannonlake/Icelake drops.

taoofjord

Definitely having a strange issue.

Noise-wise, the PC was all but silent under load. Then I installed a new case fan in the rear, a case fan in the front that is above the other front case fan, and I also installed an HDD.

Now, I'm noticing a high pitched whine or buzzing when I play games. The noise switches pitch depending on different things happening in the game, such as when I'm clicking through the menus. Also, the pitch will sometimes immediately go silent while the game freezes for half a second then start up again as soon as it unfreezes.

I thought this was an HDD issue so I moved the game to my SSD and I still hear it.

Any ideas? This will drive me crazy. I was so happy with how silent it was before this.

So is the i5 8400 a better choice than a Ryzen 5 1600 ?

Any word on when the stock situation might clear up ?

In terms of pure gaming performance, and in terms of the CPU itself? Yes. The i5-8400 performs around the same level as a i7-7700k, which is just pretty damn phenomenal for its price. Unfortunately, the only option right now in terms of motherboards for this CPU that you cannot overclock, is the Z370 chipset, which is built to allow overclocking and priced accordingly. They're more expensive, easily above $100 for even the cheapest, while a Ryzen 1600 can be paired with a cheaper B350 motherboard.around the $70 mark. The motherboard may also last you longer due to the intended support for the AM4 socket, so you could potentially pick up later generations of Zen processor if you wanted an upgrade.

Not an easy choice, but certainly an interesting one.

LilJoka

So the 8700k looks like it's actually letting some games stretch its legs.

My 7700k will be up for sale soon at bargain price here again I guess ;) This time delidded with CLU @ 4.8Ghz 1.32v.

man I'm really linking the refresh of NZXT new H series cases. Still not entirely slick, but seem practical as hell, even has things to guide the cable management in the back. I'm liking this trend. More thought put into the interior than the looks.

Weevilone

So every time I do some sort of PC upgrade, I figure out what tools are used to monitor temps and performance, etc.. do some overclocking and such.

Then I forget and don't do any of that for a while.

Can someone remind me what I need to download to get my memory and CPU all tuned?

Glad this thread survived the purge of off-topic, since I do most of my gaming on PC. At the very least I can save the build file in case the site goes down again (or move to a new GAF spinoff forum that I'm sure will be coming soon).

ZZMitch

Glad this thread survived the purge of off-topic, since I do most of my gaming on PC. At the very least I can save the build file in case the site goes down again (or move to a new GAF spinoff forum that I'm sure will be coming soon).

I hear a new forum run by some former GAF mods called ResetEra is coming soon.

kuYuri

It was my pleasure helping anyone in this thread build a PC or just for general PC advice. ^_^

I'll be around for a bit longer at least to help with the transition.

Take care of yourselves.

Samaritan

Thanks to all of the wonderful people in this thread who helped me with builds and with troubleshooting. It's been a pleasure ladies/gentlemen. See you on the other side!

MGS3-Snake-Salutes-The-Boss-Grave.jpg

Vipu

Banned
Its sad to see Gaf dead BUT there will be new better forum ResetEra soon, hope to see you all there.
There is also ResetEra discord and twitter to see all the latest news about new gaf.

nnarum

Thank god were back. Quick question.

Thinking of getting the meshify c case to replace my define s. I’m interested for the TG and better airflow. Should I go for it?

I have:
7700k @ 5.0 1.28v
H100i v2
1080 FTW2

I want to mount my rad up top but the define s doesn’t have a top filter. The meshify does.

Thanks guys

Top Bottom