• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Questions about Shin Megami Tensei from a series newcomer

Niosai

I'm new to Atlus games in general, my first game being Persona 5. However, I want to explore the other SMT-related games, but it seems daunting. There's Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, along with Persona itself.

Is there a good starting point? Also, are the mainline SMT games as story-focused as Persona? I really enjoy how I can just kind of shit down mentally and become fully engrossed in the absurdity and campiness of P5, so that's a big one for me.

The main reason I'm asking all of these questions is because of the recent announcement of SMTV, which is an instant buy for me after P5 as I really enjoy what Atlus did with it. I just don't know where to start moving backwards in the franchise.

PS: This is my first thread ever, so apologies if it's a bit all over the place. I'm legitimately curious and haven't seen any threads about this particular topic.

Aters

It's not like SMT games are related anyway (except 1 and 2). You don't need a starting point. Just play SMTV when it comes out. If you like it, then you can maybe look for some of the older stuff.

mothball

SMT IV on 3DS is probably the best starting point. It's not as ball-bustingly hard as the previous entries but can still be quite a challenge, and has all of the major aspects that define a SMT game while presenting them in an easily digestible package. Of course, they're all great games quite worthy of a playthrough; even 1 and 2 if you can stomach very old-school dungeon crawlers.

They're quite a bit more story-focused than Personas 3 through 5, and they have much darker stories.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Get 4 for the 3DS. Its quite good.

For the love of all that is holy pay attention to the tutorials and learn what is up with the gameplay systems. It's so good. The whole series is good

I think the appeal of SMT games is they all feel so different from each other and yet thematically they share that appealing apocalyptic gloom that no one else but Atlus seems to deliver. Pick the most interesting one for you, and go.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
SMT IV on 3DS is probably the best starting point. It's not as ball-bustingly hard as the previous entries but can still be quite a challenge, and has all of the major aspects that define a SMT game while presenting them in an easily digestible package. Of course, they're all great games quite worthy of a playthrough; even 1 and 2 if you can stomach very old-school dungeon crawlers.

They're quite a bit more story-focused than Personas 3 through 5, and they have much darker stories.

I dunno if I'd recommend 4 as an intro, only because the beginning of that game was rough. The first two bosses were way too difficult for where they appeared in the game. The game's great after that point, and I loved SMT4A, as well... but yeah, that really made it a tough sell for newbies.

3 is tough the whole way through, but it feels so much more balanced. And is the best game in the series.

HenryEen

Banned
SMTIV I think is the best starting point if we are talking about mainline. The story is essentially the retelling of original SMT storyline and there are many QoL improvement over it's predecessor.

SMT is not really story focused as Persona, there are far less dialogue and it's not focused on characters (for the most part you are alone in the post apocalyptic world).

I think the strongest point of SMT is the world building and atmosphere, exploring the society post-apocalypse with Demons/Deities/Gods mythology weaved in. In a way SMT reminds me of Fallout and Dark Souls.

Edit : All the SMT titles are connected in that the world of SMT consists of multiverse. Unless they are direct sequels, all of them doesn't really have any connection.

Niosai

I forgot to mention, a store nearby has Record Breaker. I'm not entirely sure what that is, and I almost bought it on impulse. Is it also worth checking out?

The Jutty

I dunno if I'd recommend 4 as an intro, only because the beginning of that game was rough. The first two bosses were way too difficult for where they appeared in the game. The game's great after that point, and I loved SMT4A, as well... but yeah, that really made it a tough sell for newbies.

3 is tough the whole way through, but it feels so much more balanced. And is the best game in the series.

It definitely gets easier as it goes on, but I didn't find them to be overwhelming as a series noob.

bosh

I'm new to Atlus games in general, my first game being Persona 5. However, I want to explore the other SMT-related games, but it seems daunting. There's Shin Megami Tensei, Devil Summoner, and Tokyo Mirage Sessions, along with Persona itself.

Is there a good starting point? Also, are the mainline SMT games as story-focused as Persona? I really enjoy how I can just kind of shit down mentally and become fully engrossed in the absurdity and campiness of P5, so that's a big one for me.

The main reason I'm asking all of these questions is because of the recent announcement of SMTV, which is an instant buy for me after P5 as I really enjoy what Atlus did with it. I just don't know where to start moving backwards in the franchise.

PS: This is my first thread ever, so apologies if it's a bit all over the place. I'm legitimately curious and haven't seen any threads about this particular topic.

What systems do you have ? That would help give you a starting point.

For a really rough difference between persona/smt , persona is more about social with decent rpg mechanics , decent dungeons, but the main reason you come back is for the character progression story. SMT has character progression slightly but it's more typical of others RPGs where it's focused on a story progressing. SMT and Persona allow you to aquire other demons/personas but I always found that system deeper in SMT as your party changes up more regularly. SMT games tend to be harder and have drastically different endings for good in bad for some of the titles.

Overall I wouldn't feel two concerned where you start in SMT, most of the stories are not connected and if they are they typically have and number on the title.

If you have a 3ds smt 4 is a good place being one of the newest

don’t start with smt iv. it’s the worst game in the series. play DDS 1 & 2 to get a feel of the rpg mechanics and then play 3 which is a lot more difficult. you can also just start with 3 if you’re up for the challenge. i don’t recommend playing smt 1 & 2 right now because the encounter rate in those games is horrible.

HenryEen

Banned
I forgot to mention, a store nearby has Record Breaker. I'm not entirely sure what that is, and I almost bought it on impulse. Is it also worth checking out?

Devil Survivors 2 Record Breaker is a spin off title.

Unlike mainline that have traditional JRPG structure, Devil Survivors is a SRPG in the line of FFTactics or Fire Emblems.

The story beat/elements is similar to mainline SMT.

The Jutty

don’t start with smt iv. it’s the worst game in the series. play DDS 1 & 2 to get a feel of the rpg mechanics and then play 3 which is a lot more difficult. you can also just start with 3 if you’re up for the challenge. i don’t recommend playing smt 1 & 2 right now because the encounter rate in those games is horrible.

DDS looked like a typical final fantasy style game to me.

Narco

Neo Member
I really advise you to start with Digital Devil Saga 1, then Digital Devil Saga 2, and finally Shin Megami Tensei : Nocturne.

Both DDS games have fantastic story and characters, as well as a great gameplay. Their Press Turn system is the battle system used for many SMT games. DDS is more accessible than mainline SMT though, so I think it's an excellent introduction to the series. Afterwards, SMT Nocturne (this is SMT3 by the way) because it's the best mainline game in my opinion. I think the majority of people agree with that statement.

These three games are available on PS2 and PS3 store.

If you still have a PS2 console, you can order them on VideoGamesPlus.

Devil Survivor and Devil Summoner are too "special" to give you a good idea of what SMT V is going to be, I think.
Devil Survivor games are SRPGs and Devil Summoner (Raidou 1 & 2) are ARPGs.

tei15

shit down mentally

Yeah, sounds like Persona 5 to me lol

Anyway, start with SMT 3 Nocturne on PS2 and Soul Hackers on 3DS. Nocture is tough as nails and is completely different in almost every respect from Persona games, it will give you a good sense of what SMT games are really all about.

Soul Hackers is easily the best game which came from Atlus in the 90s. It has amazing story which really captures the original Megami Tensei's vibe — mixing technology and the occult. Plus it will also give you a sense of earlier Atlus' games style, which might be a good entry point for older SMTs.

Finally, maybe try Persona 2 Tsumi & Batsu on PSP. You'll see that originally Persona was a very different game, much harder and with much darker stories. It's a very different experience.

Skip SMT IV for now (it's great, but you'll appreciate it WAY more once you play old SMTs), but do try Strange Journey (I dunno when Redux is coming out for the 3DS in the US though, it's out in Japan tomorrow, I guess) — it's the best game Atlus has made in years. maybe since Nocturne. Phenomenal.

Laplasakos

Best game to start with the series is actually the best game in the series. Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne which is also SMT3. It's available on PS2 and on PS3 as PS2 classics.

Top Bottom