• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Total War: Warhammer |OT| WAAAGHcraft 4

4Tran

Ogre Kingdoms, Demons of Chaos, Chaos Dwarves ... Kislev, Dogs of War (Tilea mercenaries), Middenheim? Could be a north and slightly to the east expansion of the map

Demons of Chaos are almost 4 unique factions on their own. They have a lot of unique models

for game 2 dlc - Khemri, Araby maybe, Tilea and Estalia
Possibly Amazons for Warhammer II as well. I can easily see Kislev as the preorder bonus for Warhammer III, with the main meat being fleshing out the Chaos factions and adding the Daemons.

Violet_0

Banned
Possibly Amazons for Warhammer II as well. I can easily see Kislev as the preorder bonus for Warhammer III, with the main meat being fleshing out the Chaos factions and adding the Daemons.
the problem with the Amazons is that they are a tiny faction with only one listed unit in any of the army books. It would be far easier to make them a neutral CPU-controlled mini-faction that offers mercs to hire, than having to come up with an entire new army

I think the game 3 campaign map could look similar to this, with the Ogre Kingdoms strechting a little further East off-map:
00000000000aaaaaaafc5sim.jpg

as the action is split between Chaos in the North and Ogres and CDwarves in the East, and the North is pretty much just Arctic tundra, they'd really need all the various Chaos factions fighting against each other over some shrines to keep things interesting up there for a while, since there isn't much else

4Tran

the problem with the Amazons is that they are a tiny faction with only one listed unit in any of the army books. It would be far easier to make them a neutral CPU-controlled mini-faction that offers mercs to hire, than having to come up with an entire new army
CA beefed up Norsca, so it's not out of character for them to beef up another minor faction. They also love female units, so Amazons would be right up their alley.

Violet_0

Banned
CA beefed up Norsca, so it's not out of character for them to beef up another minor faction. They also love female units, so Amazons would be right up their alley.

fair enough, but it would be quite a task to make up a whole army that has nearly no background in the source material. Not that I'm against it, I'd very much like a playble Amazons faction

reading up on the faction mechanics, unit roosters and so on, I stumbled upon this gem:
https://www.pcgamesn.com/total-war-warhammer-2-races-factions-world-map
The Dark Elves are the High Elves' twisted kin, separated from their brethren in a violent civil war known as the Sundering. The fire was built by the corrupting forces of Chaos taking root in Ulthuan, then ignited - literally - when a prince named Malekith was rejected and burned by the flames that he had assumed would confirm him as the Elves' new king. See what that sense of entitlement gets you?

Anyway, he rejected the verdict of the holy flames and went to war with those who defended their integrity. He lost, was kicked out of Ulthuan, and now sulks in the bleak land of Naggaroth with his equally deranged mother Morathi, earning the derision of all Warhammer fans for being the world's biggest baby. He and his followers harass Ulthuan and dream of ways to restore Malekith to the throne, because baby wants his bottle.

can we use this line in the OT, pretty please?

ISee

Any good YouTuber playing the Dark Elves campaign atm (or an other race)? I have not been following Warhammer 2 (preordered it though, a long time ago) and I need to take a look at what's new.

Is there also an ETA when the big campaign map is going to be added and is Khemri a planed DLC?

I know; many stupid questions but...

Lister

Banned
Can't believe this is coming next week already. Felt like September was so far away when they announced and now here we are!

I've only beat the campaign in TW:WH1 with three factions. Feel like I should wait to pick up WHII... except I already pre-ordered :p

Violet_0

Banned
man, fuck the "hold 12 provinces" victory condition of the vampires

claiming the territory is clearly not the issue
000000000j11ssl5jne.png

now, when I ride North to fight back Chaos, alone - Dwarves burn the cities in the South. I ride South to chase off the Dwarves, some 20 units Norsca armies with 6 mammoths appear from nowhere. I ride away from any city that isn't deep in vampire corruption - rebellion

make peace with the Dwarves?
000000000j12sswtklv.png

passive -90 diplomacy without having taken a single action against the fucking Dwarves

and Archaon hasn't even arrived yet

this is why I still haven't completed a campaign with the VC

Lord Phol

I've completed all campaigns except chaos and for me personally Brettonia and Norsca was by far the longest. I can't even begin to imagine how long the Mortal Empire Campaign will be, but I'm sure it'll be blast. Think it's really cool how all the games ties together. Got my TW2 pre-ordered and ready to go!

Dipper145

I really want to play this game but not sure if my PC can handle it.

Specs:
i5 2500k
16 gb DDR3 Ram
GTX 970

Here's the minimum requirements from the steam page:
MINIMUM:
Processor: Intel® Core™ 2 Duo 3.0Ghz
Memory: 3 GB RAM
Graphics: (DirectX 11) AMD Radeon HD 5770 1024MB | NVIDIA GTS 450 1024MB | Intel HD4000 @720P
DirectX: Version 11
Storage: 35 GB available space

Looks like you should be good.

ElyrionX

What's the latest word on when the combined map will be released?

Edit: never mind. I just checked and it's due to be released in the weeks after WH2 launches.

karnage10

Banned
Warhammer fans, total war fans, onlookers, ladies and gentlemen!
Now is the time! to put more warhammer 2 OT titles and persuade me for the best OT title!

Here are some ideas that i liked:
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Dragons, Dinosaurs, Hydras We Got Them All
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Tails, Scales and Pointy Ears
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Of Mice and Ratmen
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Lizards and Dragons and Ratmen, Oh My!
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| The Weak, The Antique and The Squeak
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Jurassic Park VI: The End Times

Personally i really like bolded ones, right now i'm probably leaning for the Total War: Warhammer II |OT| The Weak, The Antique and The Squeak which i think describes the game well.

As my first OT i'm a bit stressed if i'll screw this up. How does GAF come with such clever tittles while making the OT?

Mine is out for delivery right now. I'm curious if they will have any sort of block from me playing it tonight when I get home. If not, I know what I'm doing.

I pre-ordered Warhammer 2 to play norsca. I assume your key will activate like mine but you won't be able to play it until the game unlocks.

Preload info for Steam:
We're allowing those who have pre-ordered Total War: WARHAMMER II to pre-load the game at 5.30pm BST this evening.
[Source]

They also recommend updating drivers. e.g. the most recent Nvidia one promises Total Warhammer 2 optimisations.

Edit: Preload is live.

ElyrionX

Now is the time! to put more warhammer 2 OT titles and persuade me for the best OT title!

Personally i really like bolded ones, right now i'm probably leaning for the Total War: Warhammer II |OT| The Weak, The Antique and The Squeak which i think describes the game well.

As my first OT i'm a bit stressed if i'll screw this up. How does GAF come with such clever tittles while making the OT?

I pre-ordered Warhammer 2 to play norsca. I assume your key will activate like mine but you won't be able to play it until the game unlocks.

Not a fan of any of those titles tbh. But I don't have any better ones either lol.

Dmax3901

Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Cry havoc, and let slip the Rats of War
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| The Real Heroes of the Storm
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Frog Fractions 3: Mazdamundi

ISee

Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Total War: Warhammer, too

(Because of the he shared campaign. Yeah not really that funny)

Another question. Are they planning to release another TWW3? Because there aren't really many races left to cover if I'm not mistaken (khemri?, demons? Chaos dwarves?).

Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Vortex Battle Royale

Hopefully Bluepoint lets this one slide. The Vortex campaign has sounded really cool.

Another question. Are they planning to release another TWW3? Because there aren't really many races left to cover if I'm not mistaken (khemri?, demons? Chaos dwarves?).

Yeah there's a third game in their "trilogy". It'll be focused on expanding Chaos somehow--the specifics are a mystery. And with it will be another Mortal Empires-style bonus campaign integrating the previous two games; it has no name but I will call it Immortal Empires.

Nezzhil

Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Race to the Vortex
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Colonization
Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Elves' backyard is full of mice and lizards

The main factions still missing are Tomb Kings (Khemri), Demons of Chaos, Ogre Kingdoms and Chaos Dwarves. Missing factions with small books are Dogs of War (mercenaries) that could be used as regiments of renown and as Tilean army. Kislev had an small army list too. I think some Vampires are missing too.
As far as I know, other factions and kingdoms like Cathay, Ind, Nippon, Estalia, Hobgoblin Khanate, Amazons, human tribes of the Steppes and Southlands tribes don't have army list.

ISee

Total War: Warhammer II |OT| Vortex Battle Royale

Hopefully Bluepoint lets this one slide. The Vortex campaign has sounded really cool.

Yeah there's a third game in their "trilogy". It'll be focused on expanding Chaos somehow--the specifics are a mystery. And with it will be another Mortal Empires-style bonus campaign integrating the previous two games; it has no name but I will call it Immortal Empires.

Hmmm interesting. Maybe they want to make seperated and unique chaos factions out of khorne, slaanesh, nurgle and tzeentch. We'll see. Meanwhile there will be enough to do in tww2 and 1...

loki0wn

Issue with the weak, antique, and the squeak is that it requires a lot of background to make any sense of.

I like Of Mice And Ratmen

Cryoteck

So I've recently built a new PC and want to get into Warhammer: Total War. Should I get 2 first and wait for a sale on 1 or get 1 first?

loki0wn

So I've recently built a new PC and want to get into Warhammer: Total War. Should I get 2 first and wait for a sale on 1 or get 1 first?

The only reason to get WH1 over WH2 is for the already released DLC. It is $60 and is a good game, but WH2 is the platform going forward. Like you said, there will be sales on WH1 going forward, they are working a way for all content to be carried over for the next 2-3 years.

karnage10

Banned

There will be a warhammer 3 which will have its own campaign + a new mega campaign which "merges" the map for game 1+2+3.
We know that CA will have all races from the 8th edition playable at the end of the trilogy.

Speculation after this point:
We know from a russian datamine that CA original plan was to divide the deamon of chaos race into 4 distinct factions, one for each god. We also know that the map would be expanded northward and eastward.
IMO it makes more sense to have the following 4 factions: deamon of chaos (only 2 gods available at release); Ogre kingdoms; chaos dwarves and kislev (norsca was made into a faction, i think kislev would make sense as the last stand against evil type of campaign).

IMO, wait for warhammer 2 release and see in the OT how the game is working.
From the info we have seen warhammer 2 is an upgraded version of warhammer 1,I think almost every complain i had for the first game has been adressed which would make the game 1 "obsolete" if you didn't need it for the mortal empires campaign. However without playing the game myself it is hard to judge how the AI handles the new armies and campaign map. For example Total war AI on the historical titles has always had problems using their navies.
The campaign that uses the maps from both warhammer 1 and warhammer 2 will release "weeks" after warhammer 2 releases. The pre-order bonus for warhammer 2 also lasts a week after warhammer 2 releases.These 2 facts shows you don't need to buy warhammer 2 right away.

Dmax3901

Hey so I got a review copy (mere hours before the embargo but hey can't complain), but I just realised that, in place of a review for the moment, I can answer any questions you guys have? I'm playing as Lizardmen.

Hey so I got a review copy (mere hours before the embargo but hey can't complain), but I just realised that, in place of a review for the moment, I can answer any questions you guys have? I'm playing as Lizardmen.

How awesome are the dino units? Are they:

a) Extremely awesome
b) So awesome you can't even
or c) FUCK ELVES & RATS DINOS 4 LYFE

Dmax3901

How awesome are the dino units? Are they:

a) Extremely awesome
b) So awesome you can't even
or c) FUCK ELVES & RATS DINOS 4 LYFE

I'd say a mix of a) and c), with a significant dash of b). I'm still early in the campaign but yeah they're cool. The voice acting is also sick, it'd be pretty easy to make lizardmen (or Skaven, for that matter) sound lame but the hissing/other voice effects are really cool.

Mazdamundi likes to say his name a lot.

I just did a battle against some Skaven rebels with two units of Saurus Warriors and two units of Skink Javelin throwers. The rebels were attacking an unmanned settlement I'd occupied earlier and moved on, so my army was just the default garrison. I decided to play it out just to see a huge horde of rats overrun my poor lizards.

I ended up being able to kill a LOT of rats and it felt great. They're so small and come in such great numbers, looks so cool to see my Saurus holding the line against a literal horde.

How are you finding the AI when it comes to the campaign objectives? In the first game, the campaign AI cheated for practically everything--from bonus resources and wealth to ignoring special faction mechanics--and I'm curious if it's similar in the sequel.

karnage10

Banned

I have a few questions, hopefully you will be able to answer:
- Can the AI handle the sea? (is there naval invansions, does the AI defend itself from your fleets)
- How does the AI handle the skaven since "they see ruins"?
- Buying intervention forces against the rituals, Are they OP? can the AI defend against them?
- are there animations for monsters of the old races? like do the carnossaurs have unique animations against the mammoth/giant,etc.
- Is the storyline "any good"?
- How is the music?
- Can you finaly see the yellow line sin the snow levels?

Dmax3901

How are you finding the AI when it comes to the campaign objectives? In the first game, the campaign AI cheated for practically everything--from bonus resources and wealth to ignoring special faction mechanics--and I'm curious if it's similar in the sequel.

Definitely too early to tell for sure. I also don't remember noticing stuff like that in the first game so it'd be hard for me to notice it happening here, if that makes sense.

I have a few questions, hopefully you will be able to answer:
- Can the AI handle the sea? (is there naval invansions, does the AI defend itself from your fleets)
- How does the AI handle the skaven since "they see ruins"?
- Buying intervention forces against the rituals, Are they OP? can the AI defend against them?
- are there animations for monsters of the old races? like do the carnossaurs have unique animations against the mammoth/giant,etc.
- Is the storyline "any good"?
- How is the music?
- Can you finaly see the yellow line sin the snow levels?

I'll try to remember to come back to these once I've played some more cause it's definitely to early to say for most of these questions.

Navy/Sea Invasions - I haven't traversed the seas myself yet but I have seen AI ships moving around. I feel like the tutorial for the Lizardmen involved some Norsca arriving by sea but in the campaign itself I haven't seen much yet.

- The music is great. More of a jungle/island vibe with lots of drums and panflutes and the like. There are few remixes of campaign map themes I believe. There are still plenty of strings and brass of course.

- Yellow line??

ElyrionX

How do you guys think about income vs growth buildings? Was watching a youtuber play WH2 and he built a lot of growth buildings. In the short time I played WH1 Empire campaign, I never built a single growth building. I went for income every single time.

How do you guys think about income vs growth buildings? Was watching a youtuber play WH2 and he built a lot of growth buildings. In the short time I played WH1 Empire campaign, I never built a single growth building. I went for income every single time.

I'll build a couple in each province, then demolish them for income when city size is maxed out. Only exception is if there's a growth resource I can take advantage of.

Some people streaming aren't necessarily good players mind you.

To me it goes like this, the only reason you'd want growth buildings is if you're trying to tech up quickly, and the only reason you'd want to tech up quickly without proper infrastructure to maintain your high upkeep high tier units is if you're playing a LL that has an inherent bonus upkeep to specific high tier units. The only examples I can think of are non standard races though but I'm sure there's some example I don't remember, but like how Kholek has massive upkeep reduction on dragon ogres(although obviously there's no growth building for chaos armies). In this case, your lategame units are actually quite cost effective, and ramping up your tech asap to get them gives you a huge edge and you won't suffer from having a weaker economy.

But generally speaking I think it's better to go for ressources first, then defenses, and then growth or public order if you do need them, but generally public order settles down on its own unless playing on legendary(even then to an extent it does over time) and growth generally progress at a decent enough pace on its own, although having one growth building somewhere in your starting province is nice since it's the place you'll want to upgrade the most.

ElyrionX

Some people streaming aren't necessarily good players mind you.

To me it goes like this, the only reason you'd want growth buildings is if you're trying to tech up quickly, and the only reason you'd want to tech up quickly without proper infrastructure to maintain your high upkeep high tier units is if you're playing a LL that has an inherent bonus upkeep to specific high tier units. The only examples I can think of are non standard races though but I'm sure there's some example I don't remember, but like how Kholek has massive upkeep reduction on dragon ogres(although obviously there's no growth building for chaos armies). In this case, your lategame units are actually quite cost effective, and ramping up your tech asap to get them gives you a huge edge and you won't suffer from having a weaker economy.

But generally speaking I think it's better to go for ressources first, then defenses, and then growth or public order if you do need them, but generally public order settles down on its own unless playing on legendary(even then to an extent it does over time) and growth generally progress at a decent enough pace on its own, although having one growth building somewhere in your starting province is nice since it's the place you'll want to upgrade the most.

Thanks. That's very helpful.

When you say resources, you mean trade buildings right? How do you balance those against the pure income generating buildings?

Thanks. That's very helpful.

When you say resources, you mean trade buildings right? How do you balance those against the pure income generating buildings?

Sorry when I said ressources I just meant currency(since not every race uses gold), so both the pure income buildings and the trade ones. The better ones imo are always the pure ones, since trading has a bunch more limitations, but I think I've seen in one of the video that they might have buffed trade items value in TW:W2 so they might be better, guess we'll see. It also kinda depends on your race in general, like Empire and Dwarfs can trade with each other early in a campaign and for a very long time so you can get good results, but some other factions like say Greenskins won't have anyone to trade with later on(or well not many people to trade with), so it's not as good.

Top Bottom