• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are you reading? (July 2017)

A long way to a small angry planet

I think at the end of the day I quite liked this. It feels more like a season of television to me in many ways than a traditional book, and I found I enjoyed it a lot more when I started of thinking of it visually like a script. But it was good. Not great necessarily. But good.

I think that's there's a lot to criticise in terms of, I don't know, it feeling very basic or kind of blunt in the way it introduced the way characters were thinking etc but at the end of the day off I liked it and it's fairly imaginative too

I liked this quite a bit when I finished a couple of months ago. The fact that it has such strong character differentiation helps as well. No one is "same-y" with anyone else.

I hear the sequel is amazing, so I picked that up but haven't started it yet.

Number45

Just started reading:
51QSMy58U6L.jpg

Not far enough in to comment yet, was part of the Kindle First thing so I picked it up for free.

DemWalls

anyway i could do with some more rip-rollicking sci fi everybody-hangs-out-on-a-ship-and-it's-good-times adventures. ya know, bebop or firefly style stuff

any recs

The Tales of the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. Fits your description to a T - I've seen some call it a Firefy ripoff, even.

Soulfire

Re-reading the Innkeeper Chronicles by Ilona Andrews since her newest book comes out next week and I can't concentrate on anything else.

Tomita

U53Reir.jpg

Pretty interesting. I'm on the chapter about Nixon, which is pretty amusing so far, as you can imagine. Getting described as "perpetually cranky," haha.

xQsU7Zy.jpg

Also reading this. Kind of in the more boring, middle part of the book. The ending section sounded more interesting to me, according to Reddit posts, but...I could have easily checked this out at the library instead of buying it. Then again, I bought it off Amazon for, like, $5, so that's not so bad. (Also, this is my first King novel. I just like time travel shenanigans.)

Really want to hurry up and finish it so I can read either Dr. Zhivago next (a book I always start but then put down because real life happens) or some European mystery/thriller novel. Want something kind of like Shadow of the Wind to read again.

Anyone got recs for fantasy novels that deal with the discovery of ancient technology or something? Basically something like the myths of Atlantis. I'm playing Breath of the Wild and kind of want more fantasy in that style.

Currently reading How to Stop Time by Matt Haig.

I'll be honest, I wasn't feeling it before but I'm around 3/4 of the way through and now I'm loving it.

It's a really slow burner (but written in a very smooth way - not much description in the prose) and jumps between time periods but it's beginning to click now.

Glad I stuck with it and looking forward to the story concluding (mainly because it's very good!)

Probably haven't given it the justice it deserves because my reading routine has been awful recently.

Next... I'm tempted to reread Pride and Prejudice for some reason....

(Read it in school and hated that until I just got really into it..)

TTG

Finished Crime And Punishment. As expected, I feel like I don't understand 99% of what was going on. I don't know if this was intentional, but I'm utterly lost on some of the central questions in the novel.

Anyone know a good and approachable Crime and Punishment analysis?

The go to guy seems to be Joseph Frank, but I haven't gotten to him myself. Anyway, it's been at least a decade since I read it, but it's one of my absolute favorites, so what's up?

In broad strokes, thematically it is a novel about a man learning the meaning of, or coming to terms with, empathy which is primarily how we grow emotionally into adulthood. I call it a young adult novel for that reason. Way back when this was written in good 'ol Russia there was a strain of thinkers not unlike Ayn Rand and Nietzsche, a part of this book is a response to that kind of ideology. Of course it's partly crime fiction and a look at St. Petersburg's lower, starving class during some vile summer months as well. Existentialism is often bandied about as well, but you can call anything existentialism if you really want to.

I finished Sapiens a few days back. Interesting book, but I think that it could have got the same information across while trimming about 20% of its length.

I'm reading this as well. It kind of oscillates between being really interesting and really tedious.

brawly

finished Royal Flash (Flashman Papers #2)

51S09P4VGNL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What a hoot. Even better than the first one. It's such brisk pace, I never wanted to put it down. Can't wait to see where this rascal ends up next.

aravuus

Finished City of Stairs.

So many mysteries! So many twists! So many interesting miracles not bogged down by a dumb, restrictive magic system! SIGRUD! It was not what I expected, but it was much better than I expected. I loved it. Amazing how consistently good it was, from the very beginning to the very end. There was literally just one short part I found a bit boring and that was
Urav getting released, or more precisely the chase and fight that followed
, but in the end Sigrud's badassery managed to redeem it.

Very neat ending, though, could easily have been a standalone book. Not sure if I'm that interested in
Shara's reform and Sigrud becoming the pirate king or something
unless there's lots of political intrigue and back stabbing and whatnot - which I doubt - but I'll give the second book a chance either way since I liked this one so much. It's 2am but I'm not tired at all, so I guess I could start it right now.

e: oh cool, a
5-year time skip. Definitely more interesting than if City of Blades had continued from exactly where CoS ended.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Shogun, by James Clavell is only $1.99 on Kindle. Haven't read it but I've only heard good things.

13616278.jpg

Recently started The Red Knight. There's some cool atmosphere brewing, although the dialogue can be wonky at times.

TCRS

Banned
6YiACcW.jpg

last year I created a thread after book 6 finally came out after five long years (book 5 was released in 2011). Bakker promised book 7 is coming after only one year and he delivered! that's how you do it GRRM.

the first chapter alone gave me goosebumps. so fucking good
reading about normal Kellhus again and not god-emperor Kellhus.

I was also re-reading the first two books before this came out. yeah I love Bakker and this universe and the characters.

e: It says 'book four' on the front page because it's book four of the second series called The Aspect-Emperor. The first series was a trilogy called Prince of Nothing.

Ratrat

finished Royal Flash (Flashman Papers #2)

51S09P4VGNL._SX309_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

What a hoot. Even better than the first one. It's such brisk pace, I never wanted to put it down. Can't wait to see where this rascal ends up next.
I haven't read it, but I really liked the movie. First book was pretty good. Better than Sharpe.

Donos

51wCZkVLyPL._SX335_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Finishing up the Red Rising Trilogy. I've truthfully been loving it.

Outstanding series for me. One of my favourite and I flew through the books till ...(middle/end spoiler of Morning Star)
fucking Cassius that damn traitor coward killed Sevro... that shook me so much that i stopped reading like 8 months ago...he killed him at a moment when Darrow just patched the shaky alliance with the Obsidians and Sefi... holy shit i was furious

Really have to finish it but remembering what happened at the part when i stopped, lets me hesitate. Now that i have a bit of distance, i should go on :).

Just read that there is a movie (or movies) coming. That will translate very good into a movie although they have to look that Book 1 doesn't look like hunger Games light.

Veelk

Banned
Outstanding series for me. One of my favourite and I flew through the books till ...(middle/end spoiler of Morning Star)
fucking Cassius that damn traitor coward killed Sevro... that shook me so much that i stopped reading like 8 months ago...he killed him at a moment when Darrow just patched the shaky alliance with the Obsidians and Sefi... holy shit i was furious

Really have to finish it but remembering what happened at the part when i stopped, lets me hesitate. Now that i have a bit of distance, i should go on :).

Just read that there is a movie (or movies) coming. That will translate very good into a movie although they have to look that Book 1 doesn't look like hunger Games light.

Oh, man. Dude. Just finish it. Christ, stopping there and for that reason....

Donos

Oh, man. Dude. Just finish it. Christ, stopping there and for that reason....

I know. I know.... never happened to me before and i read a lot of books. That's a testament to how good this series is :). A bit dissapointed that there is a sequel trilogy announced though.

Going to keep reading today!

Stasis

Whoever suggested Kings of the Wyld...

Thank you. What a great fantasy series debut. Brought back memories of Logen's crew of Named Men, Black Company, and some Bridge Burners. You get that vibe from the members but it takes a while. It's more emotional and silly at first. Stick with it. Fantastic.

Now I'm back to Staveley's latest, equally a treat if you've read the previous and liked them.

Went on vacation to the beach this week and before I left I looked for a paperback to read so I didnt get my kindle all sandy and found my copy of Post Captain, which I started a year ago and set in my closet one day and forgot all about it. So I've been reading that and its phenomenal. Gonna stick with it til its done this time.

Post Captain by Patrick O'Brian

6YiACcW.jpg

last year I created a thread after book 6 finally came out after five long years (book 5 was released in 2011). Bakker promised book 7 is coming after only one year and he delivered! that's how you do it GRRM.

the first chapter alone gave me goosebumps. so fucking good
reading about normal Kellhus again and not god-emperor Kellhus.

I was also re-reading the first two books before this came out. yeah I love Bakker and this universe and the characters.

e: It says 'book four' on the front page because it's book four of the second series called The Aspect-Emperor. The first series was a trilogy was called Prince of Nothing.
Ha based on that rec I went to buy book 1 and it turns out I already bought it. I think someone recommended it before (probably you?) and I added it to my wishlist and it went on sale and I bought it but just haven't gotten around to it yet. Glad Amazon lets you know when you visit the page that you bought something.

I haven't read it, but I really liked the movie. First book was pretty good. Better than Sharpe.

There's a Flashman movie?!

Jag

Shogun, by James Clavell is only $1.99 on Kindle. Haven't read it but I've only heard good things.

13616278.jpg

Recently started The Red Knight. There's some cool atmosphere brewing, although the dialogue can be wonky at times.

Enjoyed the series. The author really knows his armor. I think he's a medieval reenactor or something. Probably used my Kindle word lookup more in his books than any other.

Royal Flash starring MalColm McDowell.

There was supposed to be a new movie with Fassbender. Not sure where its gone.

a) Holy shit I gotta see that

b) Michael Fassbender is brilliant casting for Flashman. When I read the first one I think I had mostly pictured Jude Law with a jaunty mustache.

Currently kind of going slowly through Hitchhiker's Guide. It's my first read. Love it so far.

Also, I'm reading Stories of Your Life by Ted Chiang, though progress has slowed on that one.

The go to guy seems to be Joseph Frank, but I haven't gotten to him myself. Anyway, it's been at least a decade since I read it, but it's one of my absolute favorites, so what's up?

In broad strokes, thematically it is a novel about a man learning the meaning of, or coming to terms with, empathy which is primarily how we grow emotionally into adulthood. I call it a young adult novel for that reason. Way back when this was written in good 'ol Russia there was a strain of thinkers not unlike Ayn Rand and Nietzsche, a part of this book is a response to that kind of ideology. Of course it's partly crime fiction and a look at St. Petersburg's lower, starving class during some vile summer months as well. Existentialism is often bandied about as well, but you can call anything existentialism if you really want to.
Thanks!

besada

Banned
Reading all the Wild Cards novels apparently wasn't enough of a deep dive, so now I'm re-reading/reading all the Robin Hobb Elderlings novels in order. I stopped half way through the Rain Wild Chronicles, so I've got six new books at the end of reading the ones I've already read.

I finished off the original trilogy and am now onto the Live Ships. I forgot how much I liked Wintrow and how much I disliked whiny Malta..

Hollywoodbabylon.jpg

i just read Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon. it was very good. it felt very modern, which makes sense, cos Anger was very ahead of his time, and wrote in a blogger style a la Gawker or something, a constant stream of current events and scandals and celebrity culture dramatizing the human experience.

it is a history of the birth of the Hollywood legend. by some twist of fate the birth of cinema (the larger than life projection) coincided with prohibition (and gangsters/bootleggers), women's suffrage, the birth of tabloid and celebrity culture, the swinging 20s, cocaine and heroin, post-Theosophian exoticism, nuveau riche, real estate schemes, mobsters on both coasts, the Great Depression, the Red Scare, and the countless men and women (stars) who came to Hollywood with a dream and often paid for it with their lives. it starts with a quote:

"Every man and every woman is a star. - Aliester Crowely"

at one point a studio declare they have "More stars than there are in heaven". Anger describes this massive set depicting babylon for a film. he goes into the behind-the-scenes orgies, love affairs, murders, sex scandals, diary leaks, etc. there are many real life heroes and villains, and no one is safe from the crazy magic of this newfound medium. it was the birth of tabloid culture, paparazzi, which played its part in egging on the spectacle. it was several decades before the invention of sound and nobody knew how long pictures would last, how long that money would keep rolling in. there are many monsters exposed and many tragedies. it is interesting to see the changes in how society reacts to these phenomena, the pictures. we see that film and movies are a modern archetypal fantasy ritual in the same lineage as religious and ritualistic performances of old. it is a kind of magic, creating your image, being shown literally larger than life. many died for this dream.

many who were famous for decades and lost it all in the Great Depression or introduction of Talkies. some cursed the sound man for making them sound bad on purpose, their careers ruined, falling into addiction and being exploited throughout by the media until they died glorious and tragic deaths. by this time there was pressure for the industry to self-regulate and you had performers like Mae West and Jayne Mansfield shamed and censored and made examples of.

when the Anti-Commie Red Scare started it was just another tool wielded to silence and make examples of people. outspoken actors like poor Francis Farmer were jailed and locked away in a sanitarium, their careers ended, their minds and bodies fucked by institutionalism, sacrificed to the God of Good Clean Enteratinment. one actor jumped from the 13th letter of the Hollywood sign. it originally said HOLLYWOODLAND and the D became a popular suicide spot for a time. it was a (failed?) real estate development, which was a popular thing for new money to get into. a NY-LA gangster transplant flush with Hollywood money developed some hotels out in the desert and the neon dream of Las Vegas was born.

ZKUX7mgm.jpg

the craziest story i read was the 1958 case of Lana Turner which involved her 14-year old gangster-killing daughter saving the family by stabbing this LA underworld mastermind who was threatening to kill them all in the stomach with a knife. it went to trial and they found it Justifiable Homicide. it was a media circus, naturally, and public opinion was heavily divided. its a crazy story though, straight out of a David Lynch movie.

i just read Kenneth Anger's Hollywood Babylon....

I had no idea Kenneth Anger wrote a book! Sounds like a total trip--I'm definitely gonna have to grab it.

I'm slowly working through The Book of Disquiet, which is, surprise, absolutely incredible. Definitely one of those seismic, life-changing kind of books. That said, I have to read it slow because if I do more than a couple pages a day I end up kind of feeling like I'm drowning. Like I'm trapped thinking like Pessoa for a week.

Went on vacation to the beach this week and before I left I looked for a paperback to read so I didnt get my kindle all sandy and found my copy of Post Captain, which I started a year ago and set in my closet one day and forgot all about it. So I've been reading that and its phenomenal. Gonna stick with it til its done this time.

Best book in the (very long) series.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
hdhqmeL.jpg

A friend of mine has been nudging me to read Hyperion for years and I've finally gotten around to it. I just finished the first story and there was something very unsettling about it. The Bikura creeped me out, as did
the final image of father Duré crucified on a Tesla tree burned to a crisp.

Think I've read enough to keep going, loving it so far.

Lunar FC

A friend of mine has been nudging me to read Hyperion for years and I've finally gotten around to it. I just finished the first story and there was something very unsettling about it. The Bikura creeped me out, as did
the final image of father Duré crucified on a Tesla tree burned to a crisp.

Think I've read enough to keep going, loving it so far.

I just began reading this as well, and I am exactly where you are.

Initially I was bummed that just as I was getting into it we then were launched into a backstory, but Hoyt's was incredible. Hopefully they are all of similar quality.

Jag

Reading all the Wild Cards novels apparently wasn't enough of a deep dive, so now I'm re-reading/reading all the Robin Hobb Elderlings novels in order. I stopped half way through the Rain Wild Chronicles, so I've got six new books at the end of reading the ones I've already read.

I finished off the original trilogy and am now onto the Live Ships. I forgot how much I liked Wintrow and how much I disliked whiny Malta..

Reading the final book now. It will be weird when it's all over.

Just popping in for a bit of self-promotion. Novellas 4-6 in The Knight's Journal (the novella/month GAF writing challenge) are now published in one collection:

The Knight's Journal II

For any of you who have been reading along or picking these up as they come out, THANK YOU!!!

brawly

Started the Fellowship of the Ring audiobook by Phil Dragash. He's amazing and the music from the movies is so good. Must've been so much work.

I've been trying to get into this fantasy book, The Summer Prince, by this black author, Alaya Johnson, but I ain't feeling it like all the others. Still haven't found a book I've liked yet. I guess picking her because she's cute was a mistake.

546427.jpg

Started Rendezvous With Rama. Besides an inexplicable page-long riff about how distracting boobs are in zero gravity, it makes for a smooth and entertaining read.

DemWalls

Just finished this one:

I'd put it below the first one, which I found surprisingly enjoyable. It feels like some parts deserved to be fleshed out more, while others could have been cut altogether and the book would probably have benefited from it.

It's a pity, since it's still pretty good, and with some adjustments it could've easily been superior to its predecessor, as the characters that matter are likeable as ever and get some well needed (but imperfect in execution) development, and the additional world building is great. Well, at least there's some pretty interesting setup for the sequels.

besada

Banned
I've been trying to get into this fantasy book, The Summer Prince, by this black author, Alaya Johnson, but I ain't feeling it like all the others. Still haven't found a book I've liked yet. I guess picking her because she's cute was a mistake.

Have you tried Octavia Butler's Dawn? She's not as cute, but it's a fantastic book.

Read these two and thank me later.

51j2xe9t8FL._SX311_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51V1-7ibjPL._SY445_QL70_.jpg
Hmm. I've read Who Fears Death? I guess I could give her another try. I hope George Martin isn't really going to headline her adaptation.

Have you tried Octavia Butler's Dawn? She's not as cute, but it's a fantastic book.
I've taken a break from Octavia because I feel like I can only like her and J.K. Rowling. I haven't found any other author in the past 3 years I've liked other than these two.

Butler's patternist series blew me away. One of my alltime favorite works of speculative fiction.
You actually like Patternmaster and Clay's Ark? I think Survivor is supposed to be a part of it too, but I hear she doesn't acknowledge and dislikes the book so if the author doesn't even like it must be ass.

Krowley

You actually like Patternmaster and Clay's Ark? I think Survivor is supposed to be a part of it too, but I hear she doesn't acknowledge and dislikes the book so if the author doesn't even like it must be ass.

Yes,I thought both were well worth reading. The two best books (for me) were Wild Seed and Patternmaster. Clay's Ark was the weakest, but still very good. I skipped Survivor for the reason you mentioned. She basically disowned it.

One cool thing about the series is that all the books are very different. I can imagine some folks might really dislike some of the books while loving others, but they all worked very well for me.

SolKane

25852784.jpg

This has been a very difficult book to get through, the stories of grinding poverty are very harrowing. It's shameful that there are people who are living like this throughout the country.

brawly

I'm 33% into Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass and so far I could just drop it.

The flashback stuff really just bores me and the gang hasn't done anything at all. Hope the flashback ends soon. So far my least favorite.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
I'm 33% into Dark Tower IV: Wizard and Glass and so far I could just drop it.

The flashback stuff really just bores me and the gang hasn't done anything at all. Hope the flashback ends soon. So far my least favorite.

The whole book is a flashback.

Top Bottom