• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 1st year is killing my wallet

Majmun

Mine is already collecting dust for almost a month now. Not interested in Arms or Splatoon

I might get Monster Hunter. Defnitely getting Mario and Xenoblade

Maybe my wallet will start to weep after E3?

Neff

You heard it here first, everyone. Switch > PS4.

Kind of feels that way. My PS4 has served me very well over the last two and a half years, and given me no end of entertainment, but the Switch feels like it's going to be something I'll be spending a lot more time with over the coming years, and it just feels like a more novel, appealing, versatile system.

giphy.gif

So a huge, dramatic gameplay change to a marquee franchise is nothing because it was available earlier in a different game on a completely different platform? I regret coming into this thread more than I regret most Switch threads.

I like how this is exactly the argument FOR switch ports. Every single Wii U port allows a fundamentally different way to play.

Again if you care about that. But that's pretty analagous to yours and his feeling about 64 player BF4 on PS4 wouldn't you say?

I'm not sure how the switch's line up is killing anyone's wallet. In the first year, there will be at most, 10 titles worth buying(being extremely generous here) and right now, only two of those have released.

Wamb0wneD

I'm not sure how the switch's line up is killing anyone's wallet. In the first year, there will be at most, 10 titles worth buying(being extremely generous here) and right now, only two of those have released.

"Indie's arent real games yadda yadda." Also everyone's wallet is not the same size you know.

10 is really generous. ARMs is just bad. I played 2 of the tests and man.. it gets boring after a few minutes. So far just Mario for me

MrS

Banned
Thumper and The Binding of Isaac?

phanphare

Banned

I have 8 games right now and plan to buy at least 5 more games at retail plus whatever downloadable games interest me

so your claim of being extremely "generous" could probably be replaced with "disingenuous"

First year is looking a little steep for me as well, a mix of stuff really...

Retail Games
Zelda: Breath Of The Wild [OWNED]
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [OWNED]
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey

Digital Exclusives
Snipperclips [OWNED]
Master Blaster Zero [OWNED]
Kamiko [OWNED]

Multiplatform Games
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap [OWNED]
Puyo Puyo Tetris [OWNED]
Sonic Mania
Cave Story +

14 games across 8 months isn't too shabby.

KingV

First year is looking a little steep for me as well, a mix of stuff really...

Retail Games
Zelda: Breath Of The Wild [OWNED]
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe [OWNED]
ARMS
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade Chronicles 2
Fire Emblem Warriors
Super Mario Odyssey

Digital Exclusives
Snipperclips [OWNED]
Master Blaster Zero [OWNED]
Kamiko [OWNED]

Multiplatform Games
Wonderboy: The Dragon's Trap [OWNED]
Puyo Puyo Tetris [OWNED]
Sonic Mania
Cave Story +

14 games across 8 months isn't too shabby.

It's funny how switch went from having a mediocre launch day lineup to maybe the best first year in all gaming, ever.

It absolutely blows away year 1 for PS4 and XB1. Obviously not system have fuller lineups NOW, but switch is off to a strong strong start.

I'm at 8 games right now and plan to pick up Arms, Splatoon 2, and Mario Odyssey at the very least. I'm sure the rest of the year is going to fill up during E3.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Yea I'm sure that most people want to buy games that they've already own on multiple other systems at an increased price.

Not everyone has another platform, and even if they did, not all of them purchased Thumper on the other platform yet when it got announced for Switch.

brinstar

I have Zelda, Mario Kart, Puyo Puyo Tetris, Blaster Master Zero, Shovel Knight, Kamiko, Graceful Explosion Machine, Waku Waku 7 and Garou Mark of the Wolves on mine.

Looking to get Disgaea 5 and ARMS next but I have to finish up some stuff on 3DS.

TheContact

Sadly the only thing interesting for me on the switch atm is just Zelda. I have MK8 for Wii U so I can't justify buying it again. Arms doesn't look appealing to me either. I'd kill for some kind of jrpg or a 3D mario game though. The next interesting title to me is Skyrim but that's not due out until the Fall and it still looks pretty bad compared to other console iterations. Still though being able to take skyrim on the go will be amazing.

It still boggles my mind how some people have problems with other people enjoying their Switch.

I'm pretty sure that most people don't actually have problems with other people enjoying a consumer electronics device.

It's more so the constant hyperbolic praising of the Switch as some never before seen magic device that revolutionizes video games.

I'm at 9 retail games and 25 digital games (including NeoGeo stuff) So far, the lineup appeals to me a lot. Tons of great couch multiplayer options that my brother and I have been playing like NBA Playgrounds, Street Fighter 2 and Mario Kart (sequels/remakes/successors to favorites of ours when we were kids). Along with some good single player stuff like Disgaea and Zelda.

Can't wait for ARMS, since I love arena battle games (Gotcha Force, Virtual On and Custom Robo being some of my favorites) and Splatoon 2 looks like more of what I liked about the first one (put some 100+ hours into it). Monster Hunter, Mario, Xenoblade and FE Warriors are also probable must owns for me.

I feel by the end of year 2, the Switch will probably beat out the Dreamcast as my favorite console. The only thing I hope we get, are some more arcade sports games and light gun shooters. If Japanese third parties start including Switch and indies keep flocking to the thing...my wallet really will suffer, lol.

I'm pretty sure that most people don't actually have problems with other people enjoying a consumer electronics device.

It's more so the constant hyperbolic praising of the Switch as some never before seen magic device that revolutionizes video games.

And so what?

It doesn't hurt anyone in any way does it.

phanphare

Banned

the Switch is a status quo shift for how people are able to play video games and it seems to be resonating with people

it doesn't revolutionize video games, it revolutionizes how people can play those video games

it's a neat little device and I don't think a lot of people fully understood how neat until they got their hands on it and used it for a little bit which leads to hyperbole due to expectations being exceeded

TheContact

I feel by the end of year 2, the Switch will probably beat out the Dreamcast as my favorite console. The only thing I hope we get, are some more arcade sports games and light gun shooters. If Japanese third parties start including Switch and indies keep flocking to the thing...my wallet really will suffer, lol.

Dreamcast is so good. I still have my first gen model that plays burned ISOs but I still have my copy of PSO and Sonic Adventure. PSO is still a fun game offline.

There has been stuff coming out on the Switch that I want to play almost weekly. People saying there are only two games are being impossibly dismissive

Sadly the only thing interesting for me on the switch atm is just Zelda. I have MK8 for Wii U so I can't justify buying it again. Arms doesn't look appealing to me either. I'd kill for some kind of jrpg or a 3D mario game though. The next interesting title to me is Skyrim but that's not due out until the Fall and it still looks pretty bad compared to other console iterations. Still though being able to take skyrim on the go will be amazing.

Show me this comparison between Skyrim on Switch vs the other consoles that makes you say definitively that it looks bad? I'd love to know what footage you're talking about.

Black_Red

Im getting my first professional salary and I want to buy a switch, but god it is expensive :(
Switch 300.000 [CLP] = 446 [USD]
Zelda or Mario Kart = 60 [USD] each.

For the same money I could buy a PS4 pro+ a game or a PS4 slim (200.000 [CLP]=297.4 [USD] + a lot of good exclusives (I have a PC for multis).

On one hand the switch is weaker than a PS4 so, it shouldnt be that expensive, on another hand, it is a handheld, and those are usually cheaper than consoles.
So it's hard to justify the purchase with it being 50% more expensive than a PS4 and knowing how expensive the games are going to be. But I know I'll buy one eventually when pokemon releases.

Neff

it's a neat little device and I don't think a lot of people fully understood how neat until they got their hands on it and used it for a little bit which leads to hyperbole due to expectations being exceeded

That's a very good summary. 'Wow this is much cooler than I thought it was' seems to be a pretty consistent view with impulse Switch adopters.

Dreamcast is so good. I still have my first gen model that plays burned ISOs but I still have my copy of PSO and Sonic Adventure. PSO is still a fun game offline.
I pop in Sonic Adventure, Sega Bass Fishing and Crazy Taxi from time to time. Not something I often do with other old consoles.

There has been stuff coming out on the Switch that I want to play almost weekly. People saying there are only two games are being impossibly dismissive

The thing has like 20 80+ games on MC. People just look silly when they say stuff like that.

meppi

Yea I'm sure that most people want to buy games that they've already own on multiple other systems at an increased price.

And around and around we go...

Yet almost no one had any problems when this happened all the time for the Vita.

Wamb0wneD

Arms just had like 6 hours of a trial spread over the weekend and has those 6 hours as well the next one. Maybe just try it for free instead of saying "it doesn't look appealing"? I would say Xenoblade 2 is a jrpg and 3D Mario comes out at the end of the year as well, no clue why you are acting like theyaren't a thing. Both are already announced.
Also please show me that Switch footage of Skyrim, I'm eager to see it.

timberger

I'm still waiting on some worthwhile exclusive games to release for it before I get one. I'd been working under the assumption that Mario Odyssey would be the first of those I'm actually interested in, but I'm a tad sceptical about it making 2017 right now. We'll see soon enough though I guess.

The thing has like 20 80+ games on MC. People just look silly when they say stuff like that.

Maybe they've just played those games elsewhere already.

I mean, this is a Switch thread. page 12, nobody needs to remind anyone that literally every single gamer already owns every multiplat that's on Switch (but on their other consoles), because it's a given that somebody already did

but for real

I get why people are enthused about the Switch, even though I don't feel the same way about any of it besides the hardware and form factor.
Like, it's got an alright library right now, but ultimately, I play Zelda and Mario Kart 8. And nothing else. None of the other games I bought have grabbed me. Not one. (although I'm definitely going to play Owlboy, RIME, and Hollow Knight on Switch)
but that's just me. I've been steady dealing with the fact that people see value in games differently than I, ever since Resogun enjoyed its year-long status as apparently the best thing ever. It's not unusual.

At any rate, the form factor does seem to, for some, elevate games that they otherwise might not dedicate time to. For example: I have no plans to purchase a console or PC Call of Duty game ever again.

but I'm day 1 if WW2 is announced for Switch.

Meanwhile, I have Botw and MK8D, but am basically going to be glumly staring at the system until Mario launches because I've already played everything else released a couple of years ago >.<

I won't be staring at my Switch or anything but I will be using my Pro controller for PC gaming + playing my PS4 until Mario comes out. Mario Odyssey looks so fucking good. ;-;

I might play some ARMS tho. I'm buying it at launch but Stormblood gonna own my life for a while.

KingV

I'm still waiting on some worthwhile exclusive games to release for it before I get one. I'd been working under the assumption that Mario Odyssey would be the first of those I'm actually interested in, but I'm a tad sceptical about it making 2017 right now. We'll see soon enough though I guess.

I read somewhere (don't remember where) that Mario odyssey is basically already complete, they are just polishing it for release. Hopefully this is true.

That's a very good summary. 'Wow this is much cooler than I thought it was' seems to be a pretty consistent view with impulse Switch adopters.

Yeah that and many people saying "I'm only going to use it docked" who change their mind once they actually see games running on the handheld screen. It's just not something you appreciate until you're holding it.

I just hope BOI isn't indicative of what they will charge in indies. I need sub 20 dollar titles like blaster master.

It's $2 more expensive than the PC version, which is the only other version of Afterbirth + available. And that's because it's a physical SKU.

Im getting my first professional salary and I want to buy a switch, but god it is expensive :(
Switch 300.000 [CLP] = 446 [USD]
Zelda or Mario Kart = 60 [USD] each.

For the same money I could buy a PS4 pro+ a game or a PS4 slim (200.000 [CLP]=297.4 [USD] + a lot of good exclusives (I have a PC for multis).

On one hand the switch is weaker than a PS4 so, it shouldnt be that expensive, on another hand, it is a handheld, and those are usually cheaper than consoles.
So it's hard to justify the purchase with it being 50% more expensive than a PS4 and knowing how expensive the games are going to be. But I know I'll buy one eventually when pokemon releases.
More expensive than a PS4 Pro? Damn. Where do you live?

Seik

Banned

It's not because I have a PS4 and a PC that I have every games that existed for the systems.

I never played BOI or Thumper before playing the Switch versions, crazy world heh?

Top Bottom