• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ghost Recon: Ghost Wars |OT| Sorry it's Not a Battle Royale Mode

Klocker

No. Battle Royale would be interesting on the full PvE map, but "classic" pvp (or how do we call this shit now) screams for small/medium sized maps. Especially when you have 4v4. It would be nice if the game supported 8v8 battles a la Socom 1/2/Confrontation though, but the maps are fine the way they are. It was actually one of the things I was most concerned about when details about PvP were still vague af, but I think they nailed the maps.

You can sneak, flank, rush, camp, get out of fire in a lot of ways on most of them. The Radio Tower/dead bodies which can be revived make for focused gunfights and usully there's little "useless" camping (like in the back of the spawn or something) going on.

Character movement/game pace feels really nice too after playing some more. Already mostly used to the shoulder cam swap (though I would still rather have my character in the centre a la Socom).

Even if you're the last man standing, there's quite a chance you can pull off a 1v3 or 1v4 if you play your cards right. That's what I liked about Socom and what I like about this. Kills really matter, your positioning matters, keeping an eye on key locations matters... I think I found my new MP jam.

Good review but don't forget when you're in a 1v2/3/4 situation you can maybe pull off revives to get back to a 3 on 3 etc.

By the way game is half price on Xbox store right now for digital version

NH Apache

Banned
Yup. At half price with the main story content and now this PvP, that's a helluva lot of content.

This PvP is surprisingly deep. Really good.

Good review but don't forget when you're in a 1v2/3/4 situation you can maybe pull off revives to get back to a 3 on 3 etc.

By the way game is half price on Xbox store right now for digital version
Thanks :). And absolutely revives and especially teamwork in general are important in this game, but revives also aren't always feasible. Pretty often, at least in my experience so far, players seem to stay near/in eye sight of (especially several) enemy bodies, then try and get to the tower from there on out. At that point it's awesome that the character movement, tight gunplay, in combination with 3rd person view allow you to try and pull it off though.

Foxxsoxx

Lol literally joined a match and immediately lost.

0-2 was the first thing that popped up. ):

I hope they lower the round timer to 6 minutes and make it whoever gets 3 wins first. 2 seems a little too short to me. Also I can't wait for objective modes to be added, along with ranked.

TDM is good and all but objectives is where it's at.

Ashtar

I'm jumping back in, been bouncing between this and mordor can't lie this got me better than mordor did ( I know it's technically wardor)
Add me on own: Maalik-ashtaar

DeaDPo0L84

I sincerely hope the PvP mode takes off. If they add a demolition and hostage extraction mode along with ranked I can finally stop dreaming about a new socom.

It still is a hugely successful game though, and if it can generate some buzz with the free weekend it should be good

Honestly it can go the way of Siege if they add more to it. Not sure how much appeal 3rd person one life games will have down the line though.Only exception I see is PUBG which is the hottest thing right now.

AKyemeni

Marksman and Thermals are life *_*

EDIT:

One major complaint I have is that ghillie suits can be worn by everyone and that makes hiding in bushes and high grass too effective. They should only apply to the long range classes.

Ghost Recon: Bush Wars

Klocker

Thanks :). And absolutely revives and especially teamwork in general are important in this game, but revives also aren't always feasible. Pretty often, at least in my experience so far, players seem to stay near/in eye sight of (especially several) enemy bodies, then try and get to the tower from there on out. At that point it's awesome that the character movement, tight gunplay, in combination with 3rd person view allow you to try and pull it off though.

True revives are a risk but if you wait it out they eventually the body campers move on most of the time especially if only 1-2 enemies left. Or if you distract them.

But it's worth it often in my mind depending on the situation. Seen too many players lose trying to be a hero and a downed teammate had been right nearby waiting to help.

This game rewards patience but also can get hectic, really digging it!

Foxxsoxx

It still is a hugely successful game though, and if it can generate some buzz with the free weekend it should be good

Just a shame because millions of people own the game yet I've seen only 5,000 online at once. Those numbers would have been huge if this game out at launch.

I'm scared this won't pick up traction, especially considering the presentation looks pretty bad in terms of UI going in and out of matches. The gameplay itself is great though.

Just a shame because millions of people own the game yet I've seen only 5,000 online at once. Those numbers would have been huge if this game out at launch.

I'm scared this won't pick up traction, especially considering the presentation looks pretty bad in terms of UI going in and out of matches. The gameplay itself is great though.

This is what I mean

I cant trust the long term population or support to justify a purchase, but Id love to play this

I absolutely love round based games and am so happy to see such a comeback for them.

This is ace. For me a great addition to my rota of mp games, and builds on my no.1 unexpected gem of the year. The pace slots in next to Halo and my MOBAs, and I prefer the style and world to Siege. Just my thing yo.

True revives are a risk but if you wait it out they eventually the body campers move on most of the time especially if only 1-2 enemies left. Or if you distract them.

But it's worth it often in my mind depending on the situation. Seen too many players lose trying to be a hero and a downed teammate had been right nearby waiting to help.

This game rewards patience but also can get hectic, really digging it!
Yeah, it really depends on a lot more factors than meets the eye at first glance. Decision making itself can be hard sometimes even, haha.

Ashtar

I had crazy round, gonna upload it later
the whole team got wiped, had to fun down another guy and then we had a 1v1 scout vs scout

DeaDPo0L84

My only complaint is the stupid ass recon tower. It's 4v1 and I'm trying to be sneaky but it doesn't matter cause they can just send one person to go push a button and my cover is blown. Such a dumb mechanic and kills the tension.

My only complaint is the stupid ass recon tower. It's 4v1 and I'm trying to be sneaky but it doesn't matter cause they can just send one person to go push a button and my cover is blown. Such a dumb mechanic and kills the tension.

Its either that or make the team with less remaining players lose.
There's no objective and that last guy can go hide anywhere on these huge maps to force a draw, there would never be victories.

Yeah the tower forces movement, and is not a win button. If you can pick off the tower guy you also might create a) a focal point for further kills and/or b) time and space to get your team up.

Foxxsoxx

If you are the last alive, try and stick around the middle and pick the guy off.

Matches with campers would be so boring without it.

KodaRuss

So how is it so far? I was going to give it a try. Looks like it could be fun but I didnt ever buy Wildlands.

How big are the maps and about how long do the matches last?

So how is it so far? I was going to give it a try. Looks like it could be fun but I didnt ever buy Wildlands.

How big are the maps and about how long do the matches last?

Its really fun. Matches can vary due to you being able to revive teammates. But normally its a 8 minute round best of 3. It could use more rounds atm. Theres a trial version up that you can ise to access pvp right now. Might help you make a decision if your interested to buy it.

KodaRuss

Its really fun. Matches can vary due to you being able to revive teammates. But normally its a 8 minute round best of 3. It could use more rounds atm. Theres a trial version up that you can ise to access pvp right now. Might help you make a decision if your interested to buy it.

Yeah, I am downloading it now. Thanks

Got executed by a sniper rifle from a meter behind me last night; scared the shit out of me.

Wish there were more classes with ARs, because the pointman kept being taken (and used very well) by a teammate. I like the sniper class but I don't feel particularly good at it yet— increased map knowledge will help a lot.

verbatimo

Co-op is this game bread and butter. I tried one single player mission and commanding AI-bots is not so great.

Played Co-op and 3,5 hours went unnoticed.

Top Bottom