• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

CNN Poll:6 out of 10 Trump voters will "never, ever" stop approving of Trump

Not

Banned
I'd rather the society that condoned hate speech and the justice system that enforced white supremacy died off, not old people.

Buckle

Amazing how people would rather sink with the ship than admit they were wrong.
Feels like american politics have become some weird mix between cults and sports team fans with all the propaganda and lack of education frying our brains.

Socivol

Uneducated people are one of many symptoms of inequality. America was and still is full of it so, they'll always be a significant part of the population especially when the wealth of the top 1% is rocketing into the stratosphere while the costs of living and opportunities to advance are seemingly drying up.
There is a difference between being uneducated because of structural issues and people being willfully ignorant and part of this odd anti-intellectual movement. To say there is nothing someone can do to make you dislike him is insane. This isn't a God he is a regular person and to follow him so blindly when information is so readily available is ridiculous.

Not

Banned
Feels like american politics have become some weird mix between cults and sports team fans with all the propaganda and lack of education frying our brains.

Yeah. I don't really have any solutions. It feels like something drastic is coming.

III-V

There is also people who enjoy self mutlilation so no real accounting for good tastes and what ever voter besides a white straight male who manages to stick besides delirious Donny is simply bewildering.

UberTag

6 out of 10 Trump voters are racist Nazi-sympathizers. Good to know.
I will judge them accordingly.

There is also people who enjoy self mutlilation so no real accounting for good tastes and what ever voter besides a white straight male who manages to stick besides delirious Donny is simply bewildering.
I respect people who enjoy self-mutilation more than Trump voters because they're, at least, not motivated by imposing pain and intolerance on other people who don't deserve it. Just themselves.
Also, white straight males have no business supporting that monster, either. Signed... a white straight male.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Let the opiate epidemic rage for a few more years and watch the economy start to fail and see if they still support him.

Well these things are obviously Barack Hussein Obama's fault, so why would it affect their support of Trump?

Obligatory Trump thread caveat: this is sarcasm.

Strike

Focus on the +50% of people who just stayed home and didn't vote for anyone at all.
That's what I said. Add Clinton voters and it's like 75%. That's way more potential votes than the strategy of trying to flip the Obama-Trump voters that has been periodically been thrown around since election night.

When you consider that about one-third of the country (30%-35%) will stick with Trump no matter what, then these numbers aren't surprising. Coincidentally, 30%-35% seems to be where his approval ratings are currently polling at.
I'd say he can dip down to 20-25% but only after some extended time.

Minty_Freshness

Neo Member
Frustrating as hell, yes. But doesn't this:

"Six in 10 people who approve of President Donald Trump (61%)"

Mean 60% of those that currently support him, not the total number of votes he got?

blakep267

How do women even like this guy he treats women like shit.
Yeah I always find this weird. Some of the most hardcore trump fans I see on twitter are middle aged women. Is it something regarding a "strong" manthat they like or am I just saying nonsense

adj_noun

Imagine for your whole life you've thought, "if only someone like ME was in charge, things would be different! It's all those lousy Washington politicians mucking everything up."

Finally, someone like you has a chance! Sure, he's a billionaire and kinda weird, but he tells it like it is! He ain't politically correct! And he's fearless in the way he tears down those lousy Washington politicians! He sounds like you. Why, he practically IS you up there! And he says so! He's your voice!

And then it turns out your avatar, the embodiment of your hopes, dreams and self-image, is not only a blithering idiot (which you could excuse) but completely incompetent at the job you wanted him to have so badly (which you can't).

Some folks will quietly slink away, casting yet another pebble of disappointment onto the mountain.

Some folks will cast their fury outwards and look for yet another firebrand.

And some, faced with the prospect of admitting a failure so profound, so personal, will do anything in their power not to face it.

The Republicans in congress are the ones who need to be most concerned about this. It means they're married to Trump now until death does them part.

So, when trump goes down for treason, we pass the trump voter act that strips these people from voting in federal elections. They can fuck their states, but they are obviously too ignorant/stuck in their ways to be trusted in a federal election.

III-V

6 out of 10 Trump voters are racist Nazi-sympathizers. Good to know.
I will judge them accordingly.

I respect people who enjoy self-mutilation more than Trump voters because they're, at least, not motivated by imposing pain and intolerance on other people who don't deserve it. Just themselves.
Also, white straight males have no business supporting that monster, either. Signed... a white straight male.

I am the same and I hate his guts. I was implying thatthis is the only group that he specifically looks after their interests. See white nationalist agenda.

Many people vote on: how will this candidate help me? While not treally giving a shit about the greater good.

KingK

And most of the rest will still vote for him again, even if they disapprove, because "at least he's not an evil, baby killing, tax and spend Democrat."

The sooner the uneducated idiots die the better off we will be as a country.

Too bad the education system right now is so fucked up.

Yeah, after browsing The Donald a few times when bad news hits, I knew these people don't live in our reality. Their faith in him is unshakeable.

bomma_man

I think this is the thing that differentiates the USA from other Western countries (that certainly have their own issues) - the undying, fanboy like refusal to deviate from a taken position. Like, Hollande had an approval rating of 3%! Whereas Bush was still in high 20s (iirc) despite two of the biggest blunders in decades.

CHC

Ask them again in a few years when the wall isn't built and their coal jobs haven't returned.

None of them will admit to supporting him to begin with.

He seems like a demagogue until the lights come on and the roaches scatter.

III-V

I am sure this is the reason the rank and file republicans are still afraid to single him out on his recent racial transgressions. If they cross this turd they have his undying base to deal with.

I think this is the thing that differentiates the USA from other Western countries (that certainly have their own issues) - the undying, fanboy like refusal to deviate from a taken position. Like, Hollande had an approval rating of 3%! Whereas Bush was still in high 20s (iirc) despite two of the biggest blunders in decades.
Does france have an equivalent of Fox News and conservative AM radio, which reaches pretty much every rural community?

Imagine for your whole life you've thought, "if only someone like ME was in charge, things would be different! It's all those lousy Washington politicians mucking everything up."

Finally, someone like you has a chance! Sure, he's a billionaire and kinda weird, but he tells it like it is! He ain't politically correct! And he's fearless in the way he tears down those lousy Washington politicians! He sounds like you. Why, he practically IS you up there! And he says so! He's your voice!

And then it turns out your avatar, the embodiment of your hopes, dreams and self-image, is not only a blithering idiot (which you could excuse) but completely incompetent at the job you wanted him to have so badly (which you can't).

Some folks will quietly slink away, casting yet another pebble of disappointment onto the mountain.

Some folks will cast their fury outwards and look for yet another firebrand.

And some, faced with the prospect of admitting a failure so profound, so personal, will do anything in their power not to face it.

In a nutshell, this. If people's physical immune systems were as good as their emotional ones, we might be immortal.

NoRéN;246387042 said:
I live in Los Angeles.

Allow me to tell you what I've had women tell me.

"He has the right idea. Most women don't know what's best for them. A woman's place is in the kitchen? I mean, were those times that bad?"

In liberal Southern California.

Orange County?

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
This isn't even about politics for most of them. He can fail spectacularly, blatantly lie, not fulfill any of his campaign promises, and it won't matter. They just like him for some reason.

Shauni

Denial is a powerful thing.

It's a lie though. A year after Trump goes down, no one will admit voting for him.

Yeah, like Nixon all over again. Although I think liking Trump will ultimately see even more stigma than Nixon does after it's all said and done

Something like this came up in PoliGAF today. 6ish of 10 out of the entire voter pool for Trump happens to coincide with the 27% Crazification Factor, which is the theoretical floor of support to any political thing in modern times. Even W in his last months only dropped a few points below it and he was entirely responsible for a horrible war and then tanked the economy! Starting at 35% or so it becomes exponentially harder to lose any further support because you'd already lost all of the opposing party and independents. With only your own party to turn on you, the Crazification Factor is where you bottom out.

Something like this came up in PoliGAF today. 6ish of 10 out of the entire voter pool for Trump happens to coincide with the 27% Crazification Factor, which is the theoretical floor of support to any political thing in modern times. Even W in his last months only dropped a few points below it and he was entirely responsible for a horrible war and then tanked the economy! Starting at 35% or so it becomes exponentially harder to lose any further support because you'd already lost all of the opposing party and independents. With only your own party to turn on you, the Crazification Factor is where you bottom out.

With Fox News and stuff like Facebook and Twitter where people can be in like minded hives I doubt any mordern politician could go under 30%.

This isn't even about politics for most of them. He can fail spectacularly, blatantly lie, not fulfill any of his campaign promises, and it won't matter. They just like him for some reason.

I think adj_noun's post covers said reason. Trump embodies their worldview - he's ignorant like they are, he speaks poorly like they do, he has animosity for intellectuals and "elites" like they do (despite being an educated and rich New Yorker, 'cause irony is lost on these people), he wants to get rid of immigrants like they do, he pays lip service to Christian values like they do, and he has the "success" they so desperately crave for themselves. He's an old, rich white man who "speaks from the gut" and wants to restore their nostalgic view of an America that was exclusively for them and their fucked up values - without a shred of awareness that old, rich white men are the primary drivers of the income inequality that has forced so much struggle upon them.

Top Bottom