• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale Discussion Thread 2 (read OP first)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noi

I've PM'd the specifics to those who have asked, like yourself, but I would prefer that since it involved a lot of my friends, I'd rather that it spreads once the game is released.

Could I get one as well? I'm actually curious about how everything went down.

Eh, I would not praise the way Capcom handled the UMvC3 leak at all. All they did was slowly reveal characters we already knew were coming (no different than what SuperBot did), and then come up with BS reasons as to why characters people wanted were not in.

If I recall correctly, they said Mega Man wasn't in because he wasn't highly demanded like the other characters (Vergil, Phoenix, Strider, etc.). Which was a complete lie as Mega Man X outranked everyone in a character request poll. Not to mention nobody really asked for Firebrand, Nemesis, or half of the Marvel picks.

The only difference between Capcom and SuperBot is that Capcom had better reveal trailers.

They didn't deny the leak for their characters, or do some throwaway lines like "the leak isn't representative of the final roster" though. They pretty much rolled with it since no one was going to buy them denying it, and the reveals became more about seeing how the characters played than seeing who was going to get revealed. I still remember the Phoenix Wright reveal being looked forward to by many because of it.

1) Include every character name in beta many months before official reveal

2) Have the latest character announcements be Sir Dan and Nariko. Good characters for some, but most casuals are probably not into them

3) Leave fans in suspense for many weeks, then post a small update saying "nope, that's it"

4) ??????

5) Profit.

At least so they seem to think

Noi

Now I feel bad that I triggered this wave of PM requests, haha.
KuGsj.gif

They can work with stuff like that though. Capcom had the exact same thing happen to them when the entirety of the new roster for UMvC3 was leaked via their website. Instead of pretending it didn't happen, they rolled with it and made the best out of the situation by hyping up the reveals as the chance to see how the characters would play like, among other things.

The PR for this game, in comparsion, has been truly terrible regardless of the leaks.

I'm not saying that things couldn't have been done better on the marketing end. The reveal trailers were mediocre compared to the reveal trailers of other fighting games. I'm looking through MvC3's reveals again and it seems like they use new music in every trailer. That helps a lot with having each reveal feel unique. But something else that sticks out is the sound effects in the MvC3 trailers. They really pop while the sound effects in PSABR are fairly dull. But that really isn't the fault of the marketing.

SykoTech

The way they handled Raiden's reveal is definitely the worst thing of all this because they pissed off KojiPro in the process. If those guys decide to hold a grudge, there might not be a Metal Gear rep period in any potential sequels.

Margalis

Banned
To be fair, they had the rug pulled out from under them the second that the character roster was revealed through the beta files.

In this day and age you know any files you release to the public are going to be data-mined. That the beta included data indicating all the characters is a huge oversight by the devs.

Edit: Also how did they not fire the guy who leaked the original info complete with screenshots. Obviously they can find out who it is. Not firing someone who is leaking info while employed sets a terrible precedent.

Now I feel bad that I triggered this wave of PM requests, haha.
KuGsj.gif

It's okay, haha.

I think I answered everyone now? Phew. I got one of those "your inbox is full notifications". Pleasantly surprised that so many of you actually care enough about this game and its development to warrant further interest.

And I'm still a junior, hey-o. lol

Noi

I'm not saying that things couldn't have been done better on the marketing end. The reveal trailers were mediocre compared to the reveal trailers of other fighting games. I'm looking through MvC3's reveals again and it seems like they use new music in every trailer. That helps a lot with having each reveal feel unique. But something else that sticks out is the sound effects in the MvC3 trailers. They really pop while the sound effects in PSABR are fairly dull. But that really isn't the fault of the marketing.

Yeah, that I agree with. I'm more talking about the PR side, but it also helped that the reveals had music unique to that character, rather than the dull as hell "reveal" theme they kept using for All-Stars.

PM me too :)

Disappointing news, but the teasing really killed me, especially by Paul Gale, who ironically did more damage than good with his secrets (that were supposed to protect SB). I dont know, I wish they'd tell us sooner, as the waiting and the hints, and the rumors are hard not to put hope in.

Regardless, DLC is undeniably coming, for the likes of Wander, Kat, and whoever else not.

I do think that it is a huge problem not to have at least one big third party rep, and it's amazing how Sony's best games for PSOne were third party titles. I just dont get how they have Raiden, but not Snake. It doesnt make sense to me at all.

Still massively hyped for MP modes, challenge mode, and story, but I've no immediate "Fan interest" in half of the roster. But I know SB has put a lot of work into this game, and I love it to death. I'm really afraid that the scores are going to drop with the lack of any massively big third party star. I just think this game would have sold better with the likes of Cloud, Crash, or Snake, and I just wonder what the rationale was behind it

Noi

I think I answered everyone now? Phew. I got one of those "your inbox is full notifications". Pleasantly surprised that so many of you actually care enough about this game and its development to warrant further interest.

Well, it's like I said, I'm disappointed partially by the launch roster, and partially by how the leadup to this conclusion has been. I was a defender for this game back when it was first revealed, because a cross-over fighter featuring all of PlayStation's history had been nothing but a pipe dream to me for years. The contents of your PM actually give me more hope than any of the PR for the game to date.

Boss Man

At least it's pretty likely we'll get characters people actually want with the DLC now.
Yeah, I think if there's anything to be shared in the 'private' info we've been given it's that DLC is something that we may actually be able to look forward to. I just hope that a lot of it is free (and I think it will be, like if Crash is ever added).

Thanks Afro, just read the PM.

What a sucky situation.
The worst part is that due to a certain push, people will be none the wiser when their favorite characters finally make it into the game.

Good for us playing the game, bad for my friends who had to deal with the stuff behind the scenes.

Mik_Pad

Banned
It's okay, haha.

And I'm still a junior, hey-o. lol
Thanks Afro it's a really interesting situation. Oh well thanks Paul :D

mr_chun

Aside from the roster issues, what's the word on the Beta? I got the cross-play beta invite over a week ago, and have not been able to join a single match on neither my Vita nor PS3 though I try daily. Is it just me?

Mik_Pad

Banned
Aside from the roster issues, what's the word on the Beta? I got the cross-play beta invite over a week ago, and have not been able to join a single match on neither my Vita nor PS3 though I try daily. Is it just me?
The beta is really good it looks great on both vita and ps3, I think the servers are down currently.

Darknight

I'm just laughing at the fact that Paul Gale was teasing even more reveals when there is none. For shame on him.

Yup.

I lost all my respect for him once he said he was working to mislead us and part of the "hype train". Thats being dishonest and I hope people never visit his site or pay attention to him.

Edit: PG was banned for real?? Wow. If so i think it was deserved.
Edit2: maybe not? Going by that PS forums thread. Sorry about that but im still pissed.

Boss Man

The worst part is that due to a certain push, people will be none the wiser when their favorite characters finally make it into the game.

Good for us playing the game, bad for my friends who had to deal with the stuff behind the scenes.
I hope the current marketing team can find a way to work with this. They could advertise it like the game is in constant production or something. They've talked about how easy it is for them to update/balance things.

Welp, I just read it. Little confused as to why they weren't smarter about the leak? Couldnt they have removed the information, or is that too much work? Sounds like this was leaked pretty easily.

And I dont think super hyping Dante and Raiden would have done much since everybody hates the Dante represented, and want Snake over Raiden. So maybe that would have done more harm than good

Sony really has a reputation for being incompetent this generation, so many issues like this must really hurt. I know there will be DLC, I'm hoping it fulfills the game to my wishes (Wander for first party, and third party names that simply would make the game feel complete) but I doubt it would change much for the sales of those not interested. Was really hoping pre-release hype would have generated interest for those not into the game, but it confuses me that Square, Activision, and Konami would not want to do business with Sony.

Also, in terms of simply getting this game into people's hands, surely Sony can install demos on new PS3's, promote on PSN Store, download it forcefully to PS+ members, add demos on discs for other games, etc?

Phazon

Still sending out those pm's? :)

Noi

Final boss is neutral cole

We have to fight a gauntlet of Neutral Cole, Kuro, Slim Princess, Sackgirl and Old Heihachi.

And they're all playable once you beat them.

Also, in terms of simply getting this game into people's hands, surely Sony can install demos on new PS3's, promote on PSN Store, download it forcefully to PS+ members, add demos on discs for other games, etc.

That's an enormous No-No. It would actually get more people to drop their PS+ subs than pick up the game.

EDIT: I can now confirm that the internal reasoning for the massive Sony PR layoff a few weeks back was due largely in part to the handling of this game.

This is excellent news. Sony's PR department has been absolutely dreadful this gen. Get some people that actually know what they are doing Sony.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Well while we are speaking about PR I did PM Clockwork asking if the developers could maybe do a Reddit style AMA with the interview questions we came up with at the start of the beta, here:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=40354866&postcount=207

I thought it would have been nice to get some of these things answered and I don't think we'd have been upset if they said "No Comment" or "You'll hear about it soon", especially at that point in the cycle.

Even if they didn't acknowledge that they were getting questions from something like that, they could have used it as a guideline of things they could distract us with when things start to get overly negative. Like maybe using it as an excuse to say "here is the info about unlockable trinkets you were asking about" to distract some of the hate that was sure to come with Evil Cole.

Oh well.

Thanks Afro it's a really interesting situation.

Man I don't wanna have to act like im joining some sort of exclusive club to get this information, but I wanna know. Can't we please just make a new topic with all the information out in the open?

I'd ask for a PM but I'm afraid I'd just give in and leak it as new topic about it.

Boss Man

This game really should be a pack-in for the holidays. I feel like it could probably do a lot more selling PS3s and acting as a promotion for all of the franchises involved (especially with how it's supposedly being handled going forward) than it will be able to with its current situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom