• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dark Souls |OT5| Definitely better than the sequel

Beat this game twice in the past 2 weeks. Enjoyed it so much. First playthrough I went hollow and never summoned anybody to help me. Took me like 78 hours to finish that way. Then in NG+ I just rolled through the game super fast and easily. Again with no summons.

But what a shit port, I played with keyboard/mouse. I had no idea I could run until 16 hours in, because everything is explained with xbox controls. Also had no idea I could do a real backstab for about 16 hours either. I kept hitting people in the back but it did the same damage as the front. Then I randomly did it because I wasn't moving my character. So that helped.. Wish they would have at least made the controls decent in the port. I mean "end" opens up the inventory.. and to check descriptions on it you have to press DELETE of all buttons, really?!

And of course gfwl..

But all that aside I love it and my body is ready for 2.

Using the keyboard for DS is not the way to go man.

JustinBB7

Using the keyboard for DS is not the way to go man.

After I figured out all the controls it was fine. The only downside I have left is targeting when there are 2 (or more) enemies because it randomly jumps from enemy to enemy. But that's manageable. Not sure if targeting is that bad with a controller.

My first playthrough I stayed hollow, but second time I went human, invading and getting invaded was a lot of fun. Some guy invaded me twice in a row in a 1 minute time spawn, is that a bug or a hack? I was terrified he was a hacker and was gonna erase my safe, but he messaged me saying I should go kill gwyn and that he wouldn't attack me.

eot

Banned
After I figured out all the controls it was fine. The only downside I have left is targeting when there are 2 (or more) enemies because it randomly jumps from enemy to enemy. But that's manageable. Not sure if targeting is that bad with a controller.

My first playthrough I stayed hollow, but second time I went human, invading and getting invaded was a lot of fun. Some guy invaded me twice in a row in a 1 minute time spawn, is that a bug or a hack? I was terrified he was a hacker and was gonna erase my safe, but he messaged me saying I should go kill gwyn and that he wouldn't attack me.

You can fix the targeting with DSMfix.

kb/m works fine with the game

SL 20-50 max.
Decent weapons for INT will be some elemental weapon right? Shotel is looking good for that.

Elemental weapons don't scale, ever. There are Magic/Enchanted weapons, and Divine/Occult weapons, but a Fire/Lightning doesn't care about anything but your minimum requirements. Chaos cares about your Humanity, but not enough.

TnK

Started DaS. Where can I get the save game mod? I'd really like to get the Black Knight Great Sword.

Cleared Manus and Kalameet yesterday. Been wrapping things up and trying to get whatever achievements I can. Anything I should keep in mind--that should absolutely be done before NG+--before I attempt Gwyn?

I don't see myself leveling up anymore, so I guess I'll be stuck at SL 40.

Blinck

Cleared Manus and Kalameet yesterday. Been wrapping things up and trying to get whatever achievements I can. Anything I should keep in mind--that should absolutely be done before NG+--before I attempt Gwyn?

I don't see myself leveling up anymore, so I guess I'll be stuck at SL 40.

You can kill the firekeepers (anor londo, fair lady, and anastacia) to get your estus to +7 on new game +.
You can also kindle all the bonfires for your NG+ run, if you wish to do so.
You can also kill all the NPC's / Merchants for their ,armor, weapons and such ( if you have a heart of stone, that is! :p )

You can kill the firekeepers (anor londo, fair lady, and anastacia) to get your estus to +7 on new game +.
You can also kindle all the bonfires for your NG+ run, if you wish to do so.
You can also kill all the NPC's / Merchants for their ,armor, weapons and such ( if you have a heart of stone, that is! :p )
Ooh, I forgot about slaughtering Anastacia. Thanks for reminding me!

I think I've kindled every bonfire that I've run across. Yes, even the ones found at dead ends after some bosses.

Hopefully I'm not too overleveled for ol' Gwyn.

blackflag

Kalmeet harder than Manus or easier?

I beat Manus after a lot of tries...I've only fought Kalmeet like 3 times but he seems even harder....despair.

JustinBB7

Kalmeet harder than Manus or easier?

I beat Manus after a lot of tries...I've only fought Kalmeet like 3 times but he seems even harder....despair.

Kalameet is easier, all his attacks are easily dodged when you figure them out, stay like medium range away from him and wait for his fire breaths, then run to his side. That's how I got him.

Arjen

Ooh, I forgot about slaughtering Anastacia. Thanks for reminding me!

I think I've kindled every bonfire that I've run across. Yes, even the ones found at dead ends after some bosses.

Hopefully I'm not too overleveled for ol' Gwyn.

You were L40? Most people will be double that by the time they'll reach Gwyn.

Kalameet was easier once I gave up on cutting off his tail. I must've tried 20 times or more on my first playthrough...he only has two attacks give you access to his tail, IIRC, and both seemed to be really rare.

Also, in regards to over leveling, I would argue it's really hard to do in this game. Given the diminishing returns past 40 in most stats, and the fact that bosses are hard regardless of what level you are. Bosses like Artorias and Manus are so aggressive that skill and response time will almost always trump what your stats are.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Oooooh, new thread!

I'm really liking Anor Londo so far, Sir Wally feels so tiny.
Defeating those sniping guards took a couple of tries, but it's a lot easier then people told me. You can easily roll under those arrows, and when dueling on the roof, they hit above your characters head most of the time. After some light legg-hacking those suckers fell down.

Those stairs become a chore, though. And that Tiny-Being's ring is completely useless. :p
Havel's Set is waaay too heavy and I don't have the stats for it, but it looks really usefull.
And that's where I left off.

I'm hacking at every treasurechest I find since the first time I encountered a mimic. Screw those things. They're easy to defeat, but still. :(

Mindlog

Elemental weapons don't scale, ever. There are Magic/Enchanted weapons, and Divine/Occult weapons, but a Fire/Lightning doesn't care about anything but your minimum requirements. Chaos cares about your Humanity, but not enough.
Not too concerned with max scaling as much as good low level damage. Club sounds good though*. I will probably put 1 in STR and go with that. Thank you for that reminder. I haven't used elemental weapons (or played) much since they took that huge hit.

I'm doing a fun-run playthrough and got distracted playing with all the spells I never use. Anor Londo in 2.5 hours wasn't too shabby given my total lack of bonfire control or clear plan.

#KalTail
Baiting out his dive attack was easier for me than trying to run around him. Roll when he's coming at you then get back near him before he lands. Tank the hit and easy tail shots follow.

Loxley

Just picked the game up on XBL for $4.99. I'm going to try and give it an honest shot this time around (although I swear I've said that about six times since the game 's release). Figured I might as well since this gen is all but done outside of a few remaining scattered releases and multiplat titles.

Kalameet was easier once I gave up on cutting off his tail. I must've tried 20 times or more on my first playthrough...he only has two attacks give you access to his tail, IIRC, and both seemed to be really rare.

Also, in regards to over leveling, I would argue it's really hard to do in this game. Given the diminishing returns past 40 in most stats, and the fact that bosses are hard regardless of what level you are. Bosses like Artorias and Manus are so aggressive that skill and response time will almost always trump what your stats are.

It depends on where you stand. You have to get him to do the swoop attack, then stand something like 3/4 up his tail and he'll slam it straight down. The hard part is getting him to fly at you and land.

And Manus is way harder than Kalameet. Hardest boss in the game by far, not counting NG+ Kings. He's erratic, fast, and ridiculously damaging.

Starting a shields-only run in a couple minutes, what armor should I go with? Going to be Deprived, starting with the Master Key. Would heavy armor be more interesting to stick with or go for light stuff with agile movement?

Honestly, I found Manus pretty predictable outside of that damn dark magic he casted. I really benefited from light armor and the Dark Wood Grain Ring, though. For some reason, I couldn't get the Silver Pendant to consistently deflect the attack that surrounds you, even when I spammed that pendant. Getting the timing down was key.

Of course, predictability doesn't necessarily mean you'll get lucky or not mess up in an unfortunate way that ends you. It got worse when I got more impatient. Frustration sets in when getting hit once or twice and staggered means it's all over.

Kalameet was even more predictable and easier to manage, but cutting that tail required a lot of patience. I only succeeded when I let him do his aerial dive attack, and pray that I got behind him in just the right position to trigger his tail attack. I found myself using that strategy to land a flurry of blows when trying to kill him, too, doing about ~400 each time total. I also used the bow when he did certain breath attacks that couldn't reach me. I think the coolest part of the fight when the first thing I did was loose an arrow that hit the red gem on his forehead, causing him to freak out and flail. Never managed to land another hit there, though.

I still have those two fights on my mind, though. There's a certain euphoria behind learning their attack patterns and exploiting them as death looms a hair's length away from your dodge.

O&S were still the hardest bosses for me overall, but maybe that had to do with my level at the time (25) plus taking out Smough first.

DukeBobby

Ceaseless Discharge's discharge was certainly ceaseless.

If I had better fire protection, that fight would have been really easy. It has really low hp.

Instead, I had to use about 10 Estus Flasks because that goddamn fire attack nearly killed me every time it hit.

TnK

You can farm it later. It requires high stats, so you won't be able to use it right now anyway.

I got the Black Knight Sword really early on in the game in my joke playthrough (used it too), so I'd be willing to put points in STR in preperation to use the great sword. I think I will make the game really easy like that though, lol.

theytookourjobz

What weapon should I be using with my warrior. I'm like SL 30ish and I'm at 18 dex and 26 strength. I've been using a spear that upped to +5. Should I use the gargoyle axe? I'm in Blighttown now getting crushed. Also what should I be dumping my points into? Thanks in advance for the help duders.

What weapon should I be using with my warrior. I'm like SL 30ish and I'm at 18 dex and 26 strength. I've been using a spear that upped to +5. Should I use the gargoyle axe? I'm in Blighttown now getting crushed. Also what should I be dumping my points into? Thanks in advance for the help duders.

Get yourself a zweihander or a claymore, whatever you like the moveset of better.

What's your current stat spread?

theytookourjobz

Get yourself a zweihander or a claymore, whatever you like the moveset of better.

What's your current stat spread?

I've put like 1 point into endurance and enough into faith (4 I think) to wield this magic sword I found but other than that all strength and dex. Is the Zwei a 2h? I've got one but I thought it was super slow.

Look at the moveset of weapons you have, then when you find a weapon you like, level up the stats that it scales with to increase it's damage bonus.

Having done the Depths, you should've found the large ember which when given to Andre the Blacksmith at the Parish lets you upgrade weapons to +10 - that should be a priority with whatever weapon you go for.

theytookourjobz

Look at the moveset of weapons you have, then when you find a weapon you like, level up the stats that it scales with to increase it's damage bonus.

Having done the Depths, you should've found the large ember which when given to Andre the Blacksmith at the Parish lets you upgrade weapons to +10 - that should be a priority with whatever weapon you go for.

Ok cool. Any good places to farm souls to buy upgrades? And do I have to go all the way back through the depths to get to Blighttown when I'm ready again?

I've put like 1 point into endurance and enough into faith (4 I think) to wield this magic sword I found but other than that all strength and dex. Is the Zwei a 2h? I've got one but I thought it was super slow.

It's slower than some of the weapons you may be used to using like Astora's Straightsword (I assume that's the one you needed to boost Faith for), but it consistently knocks enemies on their ass. But yeah, as others have said, the most important thing about a weapon is its moveset, not raw power. People often run through the whole game with their starting weapon because it just feels right to them, and the game was designed to support that. I would second the recommendation that you sort through the weapons you have and find one that you enjoy killing things with. Ignore its stats for the time being and just find a moveset that synergizes well with your playstyle. The points you put into str and dex are going to give you a lot of options going forward.

Do you plan on increasing faith anymore? Perhaps to use some miracles or weapon buffs?

Ok cool. Any good places to farm souls to buy upgrades? And do I have to go all the way back through the depths to get to Blighttown when I'm ready again?
I'm going to spoil a really good early-game farming spot.
Remember the bridge with the dragon guarding it on the way to the Undead Parish? Remember the ladder shortcut below the bridge to the bonfire in the Undead Berg? Every time you poke your head up on the bridge the dragon will breathe fire on it, killing the soldiers and giving you the souls. Amounts to about 500 souls per trip. Keep doing that and refreshing at the bonfire to respawn the enemies.

And yeah, you need to go through the Depths unless you have the Master Key.

Any tips on how to get into PvP? Like best weapons, tactics, ways to learn etc?

Don't kill Taurus Demon, stand in the 'Burg, be human, wait till death.

Basically be good at dodging, and understand that due to a slew of reasons, it won't go like any PvE fight. Consumables are useful (even if I never use them. :/), dodge is paramount, and patience is good.
I'm learning myself, focusing mainly on the bow, and it's not SUPER hard to get in, when doing Burg. It's gankers that suck.

krakov

Best way imho is to become a darkwraith and do midgame invasion. SL50 anor londo might be good. Invest in VIT and END mainly to give room for errors. Almost any weapon is viable, find one with a moveset you like.

Don't fish for backstabs, learn how to counter backstab. There are great videos out there describing the basics.

Edit: invading from darkmoon tomb is pretty nice. Big open areas to fight in. You can't get backstabbed on the rotating elevator if you are having trouble with that. If you run into groups you have some decent enemies to help you out.

Yuterald

So, I've gotten back into this game in preparation for Dark Souls II and I'm reminded by how frustrated I am with this series regarding a few things. A problem I had with Demon's Souls was that the armor felt pointless and acted more like a costume (especially on New Game+ and beyond). Other than some nice passive, unique bonuses, I still feel like equipment sucks in these games. I'm on New Game++ right now and I've collected nearly every set and I'm still getting 2-3 shot kills from most enemies. The equipment is such a fucking Halloween store. I hope they do away with Slash, Pierce, and Strike damage reduction in Dark Souls II because I feel like it's hardly ever noticeable. Armor in these games need simple, clear damage reductions. The armor's mobility/weight is fine as that's the most obvious/useful difference between gear. I swear, VIT feels so pointless on higher cycles (just like in Demon's).

Man, I have such a love/hate relationship with these Souls games (and it's not because of the difficulty either).

Essay

One thing I really like to do is manage my equip burden so I can field two right-hand weapons that really compliment each other. (It helps that most of my builds are Ring of Favour and Protection users.)

For example, I love playing unlocked with the Broadsword, but to give myself more options, I like to pair it with a Claymore or polearm in case I feel like switching it up and playing less offensively, focusing instead on spacing and punishing with safe thrust attacks. In the same way, I'll often make sure my second weapon has a good running attack if my first doesn't, or choose something that can tear apart shield-turtles if my main weapon struggles with that.

This is probably biting off more than you can chew as a beginner though. When I was just started out, I just picked a weapon that did one thing well that I understood (Scythe R1's from max range), and tried to balance out its short-comings with pyromancy.

Also, I feel that most builds can really get by with the lightest shields too if you learn to maneuver well. When I crossed that threshold, the only use my shields would get came when I realized someone was predictably spamming R1's, which I would satisfyingly counter with a set-up parry (block first hit for timing, then parry the second).

And, as krakov said: Darkwraith. Darkwraith all day. Or, at the very least, try to put down your Red Soapstone Sign in PVP hotspots like the Burg and the start of Oolacile Township. Those are the easiest ways to get practice in with sustained PVP, especially if you're still lacking Humanity.

JustinBB7

Is getting 99 humanity worth the risk? I see people do this on streams or see screenshots of it. But if you die and lose them, then die again before retrieval, they're gone. I played the game and new game+ and had about..60 humanity (items, not used) and like 20 dual humanties (items, not used). I mostly just used them once or twice to make myself human and to kindle fires. But if i used all of it, died twice, it would be gone right?

I guess people only do this when they only do pvp?

Tawpgun

I'm in NG+ at a high level, Im gonna try some burg stuff.

I'll also see if I can start a new build and do some SL1 stuff.

krakov

Is getting 99 humanity worth the risk? I see people do this on streams or see screenshots of it. But if you die and lose them, then die again before retrieval, they're gone. I played the game and new game+ and had about..60 humanity (items, not used) and like 20 dual humanties (items, not used). I mostly just used them once or twice to make myself human and to kindle fires. But if i used all of it, died twice, it would be gone right?

I guess people only do this when they only do pvp?

You generally amass a lot of soft humanity in PvP. It adds quite a bit of defense but I wouldn't worry about it. I think most people with 99 soft humanity has reached a point where them don't really expect to die a lot. You can always use a ring of sacrifice until you manage to retrieve.

I wish the Adventurer's Set armor didn't suck so much (or more importantly, can't be upgraded).

200px-Adventurer_Set_male.png

I mean look at that baller shit. The right mix of tacky and badass (not a fan of that helmet though).

krakov

I'm in NG+ at a high level, Im gonna try some burg stuff.

I'll also see if I can start a new build and do some SL1 stuff.

What level are you exactly?
Creating a new build when you're familiar with the game is faster than one might think

DukeBobby

Ugh, the Centipede Demon was a terrible boss.

Easy as hell, but standing on that tiny platform with the camera fluctuating like crazy wasn't fun at all.

Easy as hell, but standing on that tiny platform with the camera fluctuating like crazy wasn't fun at all.
There's a couple of other spots to fight it in. If you stay by the door it is horrible when locked on yeah. Right around the corner, the island with the green titanite shard is the biggest place for the fight I think.

I agree. Worst boss in the game, in my opinion. Worse even than BoC, which is probably a controversial opinion. You've got a couple tiny platforms to choose from. He's going to spend the whole fight straddling either one and you're not going to see anything but his underbelly for the whole fight. To this day I'm not entirely sure what this boss actually looks like. Just a disjointed mass of legs is all I've ever seen of him.

Top Bottom