• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Kiseki / Trails (of the Sky/Zero/Ao/Sen/Etc) Community Thread: SPOILERTAGS OR DIE

PK Gaming

Sara: She's definitely looking better. Her fashion is still wack, but that definitely fits Sara to a T. Still manages to effortlessly balance looking sexy and cool.

Angelica: She's straight up ascended to a super lesbian. Jokes aside, I actually prefer he old design, but I dig the change because change is good. Those high heel boots, though...

George: He looks alright. Kind of boring, but it fits him.

Sharon: Right hand in the air
I solemnly swear
Sharon rocks her look it's straight up unfair

Ahem. Sharon still looks great.

Wait. Angelica's master is...
KILIKA? WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?!

Tonton

Scans are out there and I think one of the screenshots has Rean finally drinking with Sara
Hype

CS3:
Looks like everyone gets a mech, or at least Ash, Kurt and Juna do.

Yeah I'm wondering if some characters will only be able to be support like Altina

Squire

Banned
Sara: She's definitely looking better. Her fashion is still wack, but that definitely fits Sara to a T. Still manages to effortlessly balance looking sexy and cool.

Angelica: She's straight up ascended to a super lesbian. Jokes aside, I actually prefer he old design, but I dig the change because change is good. Those high heel boots, though...

George: He looks alright. Kind of boring, but it fits him.

Sharon: Right hand in the air
I solemnly swear
Sharon rocks her look it's straight up unfair

Ahem. Sharon still looks great.

I challenge you to a duel, sir

Gu4n

Oh-ooh. Someone didn't play CS1 thoroughly enough... ;)

What I actually find most interesting about this issue is what's happening in the background. Apart from the obvious Magic Knight (Heavy Ruby) in the Geofront, we see Sara spying on a man in a black coat. I initially thought it was Barkhorn, but neither boots match nor does he wear gloves. I think that might be Rutger Claussell. The other shot I'm highly interested in is the one where Sharon points her knife at Campanella, who appears to be floating above... a Merkabah?

I honestly think she's the best dressed bracer, but maybe that's not saying much.
its because she is. Her new outfit definitely has the most "similar to previous outfit but a new take" so far I think. Laura and Fie fall in that category too, but not nearly as heavily as Sara

Psxphile

dat new xseed blog update

smUikDb.gif

dat new xseed blog update

smUikDb.gif
Ive been gaming on PC primarily for 8 years now and it still astounds me how much you can improve the exact same assets with well integrated effects and resolution increases.

I've got a GTX 1080 and an i7 6700k. Gonna just crank everything up and 4k.

EDIT: has xseed said anything about the DLC and how itll pertain to the PC version. I only ever bought like 2 outfits and I'm not really interested in buying those a second time.

Ascheroth

Since the CS1 PC release is creeping closer, I wanted to ask: how's the dub compared to the japanese voices?
I know that the PC dub will have more voiced lines and that there are no japanese voices included. But someone is going to mod those in anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Also, is everything in the game subtitled, or are there combat or victory quips or something like that that aren't?

Loz246789

Since the CS1 PC release is creeping closer, I wanted to ask: how's the dub compared to the japanese voices?
I know that the PC dub will have more voiced lines and that there are no japanese voices included. But someone is going to mod those in anyway ¯_(ツ)_/¯
Also, is everything in the game subtitled, or are there combat or victory quips or something like that that aren't?

I haven't heard the original Japanese dub, but I can confirm that battle quips aren't subtitled. But unless I'm forgetting something, I think that's about it? So if you were desperate to use a hypothetical Japanese dub mod, you'd miss out on a few minor bits of a characterisation/relationship development, and that's it. (For example, you can pair characters up for attacks, and if they end the fight they may exchange banter)

The English dub is pretty good though

Kalor

I know that the PC dub will have more voiced lines and that there are no japanese voices included. But someone is going to mod those in anyway ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Someone else that played the japanese versions could speak better to the comparison between both but I really liked the dub. Some characters took longer to grow on me but by the end I liked everyones voice.

Combat/victory quips aren't subtitled but everything else is.

The dub is pretty good. I found a couple of loli characters annoying but considering how those are usually voiced in Japan I'd probably find them even more annoying in japanese.

Gu4n

While your first question ultimately comes down to a matter of taste, I think the quality of English voice acting is very high thanks to localisation producer Brittany (Hatsuu) staying on top of her game. I prefer some voices in Japanese (like Laura, Olivert, Osborne) and probably just as much in English (like Rean, Jusis and Sara).

The dub is pretty good. I found a couple of loli characters annoying but considering how those are usually voiced in Japan I'd probably find them even more annoying in japanese.
English Millium grew really hard on me. "Don't blame me if you croak!" "Death toll in the thousands!" The stellar localisation helps with that, of course.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
English Millium grew really hard on me. "Don't blame me if you croak!" "Death toll in the thousands!" The stellar localisation helps with that, of course.
Ashly Burch helps too. She is just so damn talented that she makes Millium sound amusing rather than annoying, no small feat. :p

MKIL65

I see
Mint
is in one of the new CS3 screenshots.

But where is
Rosine!
She has to have some kind of role in the game. Not just a minor one either! Along with
Thomas.

Thud

Finished Zero yesterday. That was ... something. I was quite curious about the english spreadsheets and the leaked translation. Before I knew it I was neckdeep into the game. The cases keep getting bigger and more involved, I love it. Chapter 3 and beyond was just fantastic. I didn't do nearly as much as in other games, but I didn't rush through it. Saves something for replays with the new translation.

Zero ending spoilers:

The Finale was great. Renne and Estelle being reunited worked so well after all the cult stuff. I got some dirt in my eye.

Welp and I finished the prologue of Ao. Good to see some characters make their reappearance. Shit is probably going down soon.

Okay, okay, so what's the chance of we getting a comprehensive Sen III trailer soon, with scenes and song from the opening and everything? Research told me that Falcom usually drop that kind of a trailer around this time (end of July for the first Sen and Sen II). But those are also the first trailers for their respective games while Sen III already had its first trailer last month, so... I don't know...

Okay, okay, so what's the chance of we getting a comprehensive Sen III trailer soon, with scenes and song from the opening and everything? Research told me that Falcom usually drop that kind of a trailer around this time (did that for the first Sen and Sen II). But those are also the first trailers for their respective games while Sen III already had its first trailer last month, so... I don't know...

My guess would be that we'll get one more Dengeki info dump in a fortnight focusing on the Ironbloods (it's at least confirmed that there will be stuff in the next Dengeki as always), then we'll get a full length trailer.

Although I'm not super familiar with Falcom's typical marketing cycle.

PS Blog interview with Kondo, more Ys focused, but touches on Trails too: https://blog.us.playstation.com/2017/07/27/30-years-of-rpgs-what-makes-the-ys-series-so-special/

Ascheroth

Figured it woulnd't be that easy : P
Had a quick look over the voice actors and there are familiar names on both sides 🤔

Shame about those quips, but I figured as much. They are almost never subtitled in any game for some reason.

Tonton

I know that the PC dub will have more voiced lines and that there are no japanese voices included. But someone is going to mod those in anyway ¯_(ツ)_/¯
As someone that usually avoids dubs like the plague I really enjoyed this one, and with the PC version likely fixing the scenes where Rean isn't voided but everyone else is I'd say the PC English dub will be the definitive version

Even better you don't have to wait for the ubdub patch to start playing

Welp and I finished the prologue of Ao. Good to see some characters make their reappearance. Shit is probably going down soon.

Zero's ending and Ao prologue are an amazing wild ride.
But whoever thought Ao's second chapter was a good idea deserves to get fired. The pace there is even worse than in CSI/II

vkrili

Sean Chiplock breathes so much more life into Rean (helped by the English script) that that itself makes it worth playing the dub. Thankfully, everyone else is great too.

Jiraiza

Rean's Japanese VA does a good job of making him sound like a bland protagonist, that's for sure (it doesn't help that he tends to voice bland type of MC characters too from what I can remember). Olivier is GOAT in Japanese. There's quite a few heavy hitter VAs in CS1 and CS2, but their performances were pretty standard, I feel. I blame it more on the scenario more than anything else, though. Kotomine Kire—I mean, Osborne is pretty rad as well.

On the other hand, CS3 seems even more loaded. We have Takuya Eguchi, Nao Touyama, Shinichiro Miki, Ami Koshimizu, and more.

PK Gaming

Rean's Japanese VA does a good job of making him sound like a bland protagonist, that's for sure (it doesn't help that he tends to voice bland type of MC characters too from what I can remember).

Kōki Uchiyama's take on Rean is really generic, yeah. Sean's take on Rean is much more nuanced, which really lends well to the end-of-chapter contemplative narrations by Rean.

I also think his battle lines are way better as well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Ascheroth

Rean's Japanese VA does a good job of making him sound like a bland protagonist, that's for sure (it doesn't help that he tends to voice bland type of MC characters too from what I can remember). Olivier is GOAT in Japanese. There's quite a few heavy hitter VAs in CS1 and CS2, but their performances were pretty standard, I feel. I blame it more on the scenario more than anything else, though. Kotomine Kire—I mean, Osborne is pretty rad as well.

On the other hand, CS3 seems even more loaded. We have Takuya Eguchi, Nao Touyama, Shinichiro Miki, Ami Koshimizu, and more.
Wait, Olivier is Koyasu? That changes everythingf. Even if I just swap his voices alone <.<
if that's even possible
if there even will be a mod
god damn
why must this be so difficult

Jiraiza

Wait, Olivier is Koyasu? That changes everythingf. Even if I just swap his voices alone <.<
if that's even possible
if there even will be a mod
god damn
why must this be so difficult

Yep, indeed. Listening to him is a blast in the Sky Evo games. He was clearly having fun when doing Olivier's lines.

Thoraxes

I don't typically like very many dubs at all, but I definitely enjoyed the dubs for both CS1/CS2. I thought the personalities of each character came through really well, and their voices matched their appearances pretty well, too. I usually don't have kind words for dubs, but I liked the one for these games.

(Act 1 Cold Steel 2 Spoilers in the links). And that certain Phantom Thief's laugh in CS2. Yoooooooooooo

Jiraiza

And I'm done with the Third! There's a lot of things I want to say, but I'm kind of in a hurry to finish the remaining two Crossbell games in time for CS3. So I'll come back much later to write my thoughts on the trilogy (uh, one day). But I'll say this at least: I loved the doors for expanding the stories of a lot of the other characters that didn't get much focus. Some of them might've been a hit or miss for me, like the stupid ass RNG gambling door one with Jack and Haru, but overall, they were a blast to watch and go through.

Kevin's definitely the coolest MC thus far, and as far as rankings are concerned, he's equal to Estelle and Joshua for me. I really liked Ries too, though I'd be lying if I said I was entirely satisfied with her role in the game since I wanted to see her mingle more with the rest of the cast. But her chemistry with Kevin was top-notch stuff; the teasing and her bottomless hole for a stomach are wonderful.

As for Renne,
it looks like the trilogy didn't finish off her arc, but I really liked the notion of Estelle and Joshua wanting her to be part of the family (adopted daughter, I suppose?). I appreciate the development she went through from SC to the Third; considering the implications from Star Door 15, she definitely needs some of that Estelle Sun juice to put her on the right track.

I will have to say that playing the Cold Steel games beforehand did wonders for the little tidbits that do come up regarding Erebonia and even the various organizations throughout the continent. The framing of Ouroboros, the Grailsritter, the Septian Church, the Sept-Terrions, the jaegers, and so forth really serve well to make the Trails world a very cohesive and coherent place; makes me glad I can partake in this continually evolving world via CS3.

There were a lot of hit or miss Japanese voices in the Evo games, though I don't have too many complaints about the main cast. The random NPC characters though; ha ha, some of them were terrible. Can't say I was a fan of Cassius's voice either; just felt like he wasn't showing that much emotion half the time, unless that's the point.

This shot here would've left me completely stricken with that feeling when you finish an amazing game, that feeling of emptiness, if not for the fact that I have the two Crossbell games waiting for me. Love it.

dk16QcIl.jpg

In any case, fantastic stuff. Now onto the Crossbell games! I've got about 2 months on the dot to finish, I got this.

Carrie Keranen deserved award recognition that she would never get...I hope she gets more lines in the PC release too
this was the best reason to cook

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Sara's and to a lesser extent Millium's VA both seem to avoid that thing you get in some JRPG dubs where people make their voice sound super unnatural and playing a trope more than a role. Some of it's helped by the script (no VA in the world can make a thousand 'can't be helped' sound like natural English dialogue, and Sara's voice actress struggles in Persona 5), but they both do a good job in this.

Top Bottom