• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

World of Warcraft |OT9| People still play this? Isn't it from 2004

TheYanger

It is because of the world first race that KJ was so severely overtuned. If they had simply designed him to be a final boss for a typical mythic raiding guild, the problem would not have existed in the first place.

The easiest solution for them would be to do exactly that, but it would kill the world first race in the process. Making the extra effort to temporarily provide the opportunity for the WF race _is_ generous.

I agree, and I don't object to Method or Exorsus pointing out that KJ was initially badly overtuned even for them. Exorsus is going beyond just that however, and using some fairly loaded language in attacking Blizzard.

If your guild is predicated on participating in an activity that is an afterthought to content, you should not be surprised if you run into glitches. And while commenting on those glitches be polite and don't act as if this was a promised feature of the game.

Boy it must be easy to throw all this shadeon everyone from way up there on your high horse.

You, frankly, have no fucking idea what you're saying here dude. It's not like Blizz gets one shot mom's spaghetti to tune the boss, nobody is saying "TUNE IT FOR THE 1%!" they're saying FIX THAT SHIT for the 1%. It's not like leaving it broken for 2 or 3 weeks is doing some great service to everyone else - they're going to have to nerf that shit eventually ANYWAY. They can fix the bullshit and still leave the fight hard, and nerf it later. They do in fact do exactly that, every single tier. Know what they don't usually do? Leave a fight fundamentally flawed and virtually unkillable, then the instant the SECOND guild kills it, fix it.

Having a usable fight for an important (even if small, significantly more important than their size indicates) portion of the playerbase has no benefit and does not preclude them from doing what they've always done with the fight later. The implication that they shouldn't 'balance for the 1%' is flawed, because they don't - balance is a scale that they slide along as a tier advances, and it strictly moves downward. If the 1% think the fight is bullshit, it means the rest of the audience literally will never kill it. they HAVE to deal with it. They just did it in a time-frame that was fucked up.

T I've got a second and will be doing a thrid quest to get the other two items for my classes specs artifiacts, can I display these in my class hall at all or are they just going to be stuck in my inventory/bank?

I always keep my other artifacts on me in my bags but you can just dump your Survival and Marksmanship artifacts into your bank if you want. As for Artifacts displaying, only collected appearances for your currently equipped artifact will be displayed in your order hall. With the exception of the challenge appearances being spec specific, unlocking artifact appearances are class-wide. For example if you complete Balance of Power, that will unlock the appearance across all three hunter specs.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I may give WoW a shot again knowing that I can enjoy the Heroic content without going nuts.

Any active GAF Horde guilds? My characters are mostly on Icecrown, but I'm not against moving or starting a fresh character.

Also, my super mature college self made some colorful character names...Somuchjizz and Jizzmonster to name a few. How did those go through? I suspect I'd get a name ban if I logged in with those today.

Also, my super mature college self made some colorful character names...Somuchjizz and Jizzmonster to name a few. How did those go through? I suspect I'd get a name ban if I logged in with those today.

I don't know, I continually see names like "Twatermelon" and one with a racial slur so I'm not sure if they care a whole lot. Maybe if enough people report it?

TheYanger

I don't know, I continually see names like "Twatermelon" and one with a racial slur so I'm not sure if they care a whole lot. Maybe if enough people report it?

yeah something like that should hit the filter, but otherwise it requires reports. they DEFINITELY nuke names that get reported though.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Some of the names I've seen makes me wonder how they got past the filter. I guess using special characters helps with that.

One of my more colorful characters definitely uses an ì instead of an i. That helps it go through...

But that said, if anyone does have a PvE Horde guild with open spots that I might be able to jump in on, please let me know. I'll die before I roll an Alliance anything. ;)

Everyone is pretty spread out across North America and Europe as well as various servers, there are no GAF guilds. GAF guilds tend to peter out pretty quickly.

I feel as though I am the unluckiest person on WoW sometimes. Did ToS normal and again got nothing. Two weeks in a row without a single drop. is this even possible? Yes it is.

I feel as though I am the unluckiest person on WoW sometimes. Did ToS normal and again got nothing. Two weeks in a row without a single drop. is this even possible? Yes it is.

That was me running Nighthold with my Mage. Weeks of nothing and then in one run I basically got 3 tier pieces. It just felt like bad luck protection kicking in.

Rambaldi

One of my more colorful characters definitely uses an ì instead of an i. That helps it go through...

But that said, if anyone does have a PvE Horde guild with open spots that I might be able to jump in on, please let me know. I'll die before I roll an Alliance anything. ;)

It depends on if you're looking to raid or just be casual. My horse guild is always open to players who want to join but our raid spots are getting tight.

Check us out. We're Classy on Hyjal-US.

Bregor

It's not like Blizz gets one shot mom's spaghetti to tune the boss, nobody is saying "TUNE IT FOR THE 1%!" they're saying FIX THAT SHIT for the 1%.

You will have to be more specific here. If fixing it for the 1% doesn't mean tuning it for the 1%, what does it mean?

It's not like leaving it broken for 2 or 3 weeks is doing some great service to everyone else - they're going to have to nerf that shit eventually ANYWAY. They can fix the bullshit and still leave the fight hard, and nerf it later. They do in fact do exactly that, every single tier. Know what they don't usually do? Leave a fight fundamentally flawed and virtually unkillable, then the instant the SECOND guild kills it, fix it.

And the easiest way to fix it for everyone else is to never have attempted to tune it for world first guilds. Given how this tuning is outside the design intent of the mythic raiding difficulty it is unsuprising that they have less time to perfect it, and that mistakes slip through. Those participating in the race to world first should be understanding of that reality.

Having a usable fight for an important (even if small, significantly more important than their size indicates) portion of the playerbase

I agree their importance is more than their size indicates, though I doubt it is enough to justify devoting resources to providing the tuning neccessary for the World First race. Instead I would suspect that Blizzard devs do it simply because they are fans of the race, and enjoy watching it. (And there is nothing wrong with that.)

has no benefit and does not preclude them from doing what they've always done with the fight later. The implication that they shouldn't 'balance for the 1%' is flawed, because they don't - balance is a scale that they slide along as a tier advances, and it strictly moves downward. If the 1% think the fight is bullshit, it means the rest of the audience literally will never kill it. they HAVE to deal with it. They just did it in a time-frame that was fucked up.

Except that they obviously do balance for the 1%. If they didn't the WF race wouldn't exist as guilds like Method would simply blow through the content as quickly as they do the bosses in the first half of the instance. Releasing the content with such a high level challenge means extra work for them as they have to re-tune it multiple times after release.

I'm not claiming that there would be no re-tuning if they just released it tuned for the typical Mythic raiding guild, clearly there would be as even heroic and LFR requires re-tuning after release. I'm just claiming that releasing the content in a state that is intentional too difficult for it's intended audience increases their workload for very little practical gain, and it would be very understandable if they choose to avoid the problem by initially aiming it at the target players rather than the WF guilds.

Given the inessential nature of the WF tuning, it can hardly be surprising if fixes to it are a lower priority to Blizzard than other problems. They are busy people. As long as the tuning is correct when the typical Mythic guilds begin reaching the final boss they are probably satisfied.

TheYanger

You will have to be more specific here. If fixing it for the 1% doesn't mean tuning it for the 1%, what does it mean?

And the easiest way to fix it for everyone else is to never have attempted to tune it for world first guilds. Given how this tuning is outside the design intent of the mythic raiding difficulty it is unsuprising that they have less time to perfect it, and that mistakes slip through. Those participating in the race to world first should be understanding of that reality.

I agree their importance is more than their size indicates, though I doubt it is enough to justify devoting resources to providing the tuning neccessary for the World First race. Instead I would suspect that Blizzard devs do it simply because they are fans of the race, and enjoy watching it. (And there is nothing wrong with that.)

Except that they obviously do balance for the 1%. If they didn't the WF race wouldn't exist as guilds like Method would simply blow through the content as quickly as they do the bosses in the first half of the instance. Releasing the content with such a high level challenge means extra work for them as they have to re-tune it multiple times after release.

I'm not claiming that there would be no re-tuning if they just released it tuned for the typical Mythic raiding guild, clearly there would be as even heroic and LFR requires re-tuning after release. I'm just claiming that releasing the content in a state that is intentional too difficult for it's intended audience increases their workload for very little practical gain, and it would be very understandable if they choose to avoid the problem by initially aiming it at the target players rather than the WF guilds.

Given the inessential nature of the WF tuning, it can hardly be surprising if fixes to it are a lower priority to Blizzard than other problems. They are busy people. As long as the tuning is correct when the typical Mythic guilds begin reaching the final boss they are probably satisfied.

It's not fucking inessential, this shit has to happen at some point anyway, the alternative to not fixing the boss is leaving it so broken that 'non 1%' never even has a prayer of killing it. Just because you're not the top guild doesn't mean the game shouldn't function properly for them, or that they don't have a large influence over the raid scene as a whole.

For example: They JUST tuned down the damage on the darkness phase and reduced the meteors on Mythic KJ. literally as soon as Exorsus killed it. Why? This could've been done a week ago, everyone doing the fight knew it was fucked up in terms of what it required. This is a basic example of the kind of mechanic that is OFTEN broken, but is also typically fixed very quickly.

It's very telling that you're simply saying 'lol get fucked nerds' to these problems when they literally DO NOT AFFECT YOU. Period. The solution to the problem is literally more inclusive and has literally no negative impact on anyone below the world first guilds - even if you go 'lol taking time away from fixing other things', it's flat out wrong to think that, this is shit that DOES have to be done at some point.

Bregor

First off, I have been very polite to you, so the profanity is uncalled for. It also adds nothing to the validity of your arguments.

Second, don't claim I said things which I didn't say. It's disingenuous and a poor replacement for substantive debate. My points are right there in my posts, address them or make points of your own. Don't construct straw man arguments that are easy for you to knock down.

It's not fucking inessential, this shit has to happen at some point anyway, the alternative to not fixing the boss is leaving it so broken that 'non 1%' never even has a prayer of killing it. Just because you're not the top guild doesn't mean the game shouldn't function properly for them, or that they don't have a large influence over the raid scene as a whole.

The initial higher tuning is inessential. If it wasn't present, the re-tuning would also be inessential. Both the initial tuning and re-tuning would be easier if Blizzard had simply taken the easy route of aiming the launch tuning at a typical mythic guild.

Method and Exodus are not naive, and are probably well aware that the content they have organised their guild around is not within the scope that mythic difficulty was designed for. They should allow for some leeway in Blizzards time and attention to correct the problems.

For example: They JUST tuned down the damage on the darkness phase and reduced the meteors on Mythic KJ. literally as soon as Exorsus killed it. Why? This could've been done a week ago, everyone doing the fight knew it was fucked up in terms of what it required. This is a basic example of the kind of mechanic that is OFTEN broken, but is also typically fixed very quickly.

It's speculation as to whether it could have been done a week ago, we have no knowledge of how much free time Blizzard developers have and what priorities might be ahead of this.

However, I agree that they probably could have - it is far more likely that they were well aware that the WF race was perceived as only being between Method and Exodus, and that it would be more objectionable to nerf the fight after Method had a kill but before Exodus had done so.

It's very telling that you're simply saying 'lol get fucked nerds' to these problems when they literally DO NOT AFFECT YOU. Period. The solution to the problem is literally more inclusive and has literally no negative impact on anyone below the world first guilds - even if you go 'lol taking time away from fixing other things', it's flat out wrong to think that, this is shit that DOES have to be done at some point.

The solution is to never tune it for WF guilds in the first place - do you favor this solution?

TheYanger

That's ridiculous. Why not just remove everything but LFR? Sorry that your'e not in a position to use world first content, MOST of the playerbase isn't even in a position to see mythic, why should that exist either? It's not hard to tweak numbers down after some guilds see a boss. Like, not in the least. Stop acting like it's some grand drain on the wow team to do so.

Bregor

That's ridiculous. Why not just remove everything but LFR? Sorry that your'e not in a position to use world first content, MOST of the playerbase isn't even in a position to see mythic, why should that exist either? It's not hard to tweak numbers down after some guilds see a boss. Like, not in the least. Stop acting like it's some grand drain on the wow team to do so.

Clearly though, there are different levels of player base participation. Blizzard has decided that there are enough mythic level players to provide a difficulty level for them. If the WF level was important enough, they would just create an actual difficulty level for them, at which point it would be entirely reasonable to expect better handling of mis-tuning and bugs. Instead they have chosen to just adjust the mythic level temporarily, which pretty clearly illustrates that it is a lower priority for them.

mclem

You, frankly, have no fucking idea what you're saying here dude. It's not like Blizz gets one shot mom's spaghetti to tune the boss, nobody is saying "TUNE IT FOR THE 1%!" they're saying FIX THAT SHIT for the 1%. It's not like leaving it broken for 2 or 3 weeks is doing some great service to everyone else - they're going to have to nerf that shit eventually ANYWAY. They can fix the bullshit and still leave the fight hard, and nerf it later. They do in fact do exactly that, every single tier. Know what they don't usually do? Leave a fight fundamentally flawed and virtually unkillable, then the instant the SECOND guild kills it, fix it.

I suspect Blizz's policy is something approximating "If the guild is getting nowhere, nerf it gradually. Once they're getting close, hands off, so they don't feel cheated out of 'earning' the kill due to the nerfs". Rinse and repeat for each guild getting close.

i.e.: Tailor the nerfing to the guilds that are specifically attempting the fight currently.

Where's was the third-place guild getting to prior to this wave of nerfs after Exorsus's kill?

I remember a GM guide to an RPG - pen and paper (I think it was Advanced Fighting Fantasy, but my memory might be playing up) that suggested that it's good GM practice to try and massage encounters so the players just win through; enough to feel like they've overcome a challenge, not too much that they feel they've been handed the victory on a plate. (I know this goes against some GM's strong "You are playing against me, and I hold all the cards" opinions!). I have a hunch that's the sort of thing that's informing Blizzard's philosophy here.

Bregor

I suspect Blizz's policy is something approximating "If the guild is getting nowhere, nerf it gradually. Once they're getting close, hands off, so they don't feel cheated out of 'earning' the kill due to the nerfs". Rinse and repeat for each guild getting close.

That is very likely true.

-NeoTB1-

Anyone still play on MoonGuard
(eww ERP)
or WyrmrestAccord? I've been thinking about resubbing for the first time since just after Legion dropped.

Lain

Got done with the Warrior mount quest. As far as I'm concerned, enjoyment wise, this one was the least fun of all the class mount quests I've done so far.
Apart from the Tauren fight, I didn't enjoy the other 3 and the whole thing felt lacking from a storytelling point of view (though most class mount quests felt lacking in that regard to me).
That said...

o10c.png

I need the red color though!

Who goes there?
An illusion! What are you hiding?
Something's not quiet right...
Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?

Bregor

Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?

I just sap those guys, it's great fun.

Lain

Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?
Who goes there?

I love the traditional greeting in Suramar.

Worst zone in the entire game. And I'm talking about walking until you are level 40 old school zones.

Suramar is the strongest portion of PVE in Legion. The whole build up to the Nighthold raid is so well done and it stands in such stark contrast to the Broken Shore and the Legionfall "campaign". If Suramar was done by the main team then The Broken Shore was designed by a couple of interns jammed in a janitors or supply closet. The only thing that's sort of egregious about Suramar is the rep gating. Wish they would've removed that with 7.2 or 7.2.5.

I love that moment in the Insurgency campaign where Elisande shittalks all of the other "kinds" of elves on the bridge leading to the Nighthold.

Suramar is the strongest portion of PVE in Legion. The whole build up to the Nighthold raid is so well done and it stands in such stark contrast to the Broken Shore and the Legionfall "campaign". If Suramar was done by the main team then The Broken Shore was designed by a couple of interns jammed in a janitors or supply closet. The only thing that's sort of egregious about Suramar is the rep gating. Wish they would've removed that with 7.2 or 7.2.5.

I love that moment in the Insurgency campaign where Elisande shittalks all of the other "kinds" of elves on the bridge leading to the Nighthold.

The visuals are impressive, as is the questline, but the actual questing/gameplay in that area, and getting around on a ground mount has been a nightmare, even using portals.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
The visuals are impressive, as is the questline, but the actual questing/gameplay in that area, and getting around on a ground mount has been a nightmare, even using portals.

I do agree in thinking that they 'failed' a bit with the city itself and the attempts at any class who doesn't have actual stealth trying to path around some of the more populated parts before flying was introduced without drawing massive aggro.

Especially the Eastern 'elite' area, as well as the underlying issue of rep petering out (at the time) without doing world quests, which was limited at first.

But the building up of the actual storyline via questing stories and such, including but not limited to the invasion by the horde/alli forces, is right up there in terms of 'attunement' for me.

EmiPrime

This might be a bit premature given I have had the game less than a week but the wardens faction is a big load of balls. I want to unlock flying by the end of summer but these jackasses who don't even have the common decency to have a storyline that takes us into honoured rep will make it take a lot longer than it should.

Questing in Suramar is fine, if a bit of a mess sometimes on a PVP server.

Legion on PVP servers is a nightmare if you're on the wrong side of the faction imbalance. I can't believe the turn-ins for emissary caches aren't sanctuary.

Tarazet

Try level up a Ally DH on Illidan-US, i dare you.

Its not impossible, but really frustrating.

I've never ever played on a PvP server in any MMO, but I started playing a Night Elf Warrior on US-Sargeras. Took less than 5 minutes venturing out into a contested zone to get ganked by 4 Horde from Illidan and a couple other servers on the bridge leading to Stranglethorn. I got through by ressing behind a column while they weren't looking. I am not a fan of Illidan players, even if I'm playing their faction.

I know that once I am into the later expansions it will be a non-issue, and the Legion experience should be much better than it is for me now as Horde on Ghostlands. Even though it's a PVE server, it's a pain because it is so Alliance heavy.

Nugg

I haven't been following rumors closely lately. What are the chances of the next expansion being announced at Gamescom in august? Legion was announced there two years ago.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I haven't been following rumors closely lately. What are the chances of the next expansion being announced at Gamescom in august? Legion was announced there two years ago.

either there or at blizzcon, but its soon anyway

Entropia

No One Remembers

I doubt they will announce the next expansion at Gamescom. I am leaning towards it being at BlizzCon.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
6.2 had come out in June. This made it impossible to wait for Blizzcon to come around without having a public direction for where the game was going for so long. Since 7.3 is still slated I would think there is less pressure for an early reveal.

I would love to see the option to make followers/pets/minions non-interactive. Give them a little icon in the corner of the screen or something.

EmiPrime

Holy crap I just fished up the Corrupted Ashbringer shard in less than 50 casts! This more than makes up for not having any legendaries drop.

Fjordson

Holy shit, managed to kill Kil'Jaeden on normal. Raid leader asked for the achievement of course, but when he asked if I had it I just lied and said "Yep" and that was it. Group was able to 2-shot it.

Back in the game now with the KJ achievement.

Lain

I really don't understand DH's ability Vengeful Retreat. The tooltip says it removes any kind of immobilization spell (translating the translated Italian tooltip, English one talks about snares) and then the DH jumps away. It has never ever done that for me. Any time I get stuck in place by some spell, I hit the skill and nothing happens.

Top Bottom