• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kratos confirmed for MK and 10 more characters

MrMephistoX

Axiom said:
500x500.jpg

"Actually I was just subtly trying to prove a point about how stupid it is to purposely misspell sonic colors as "sonic colours". Yes,I know its an alternate spelling of the word, regardless, that spelling wasnt chosen by the developers.So therein lies my analogy by misspelling mortal kombat as "mortal combat" ."

This pointless little argument and quick defeat made my day! It's not an alternative spelling for any English speaking country but the U.S.

Huggers

Why is there a a picture of Sonic Colours box art in here :lol

Awesome Kratos is in, he's a neat fit into the MK universe

Foil

Put Kain and Raziel in the 360 version. The fatalities write themselves for those two and they'd fit in a lot better than anybody from Halo, Gears, etc.

GatorBait

Stumpokapow said:
I liked Mortal Kombat. I liked Mortal Kombat 2. I liked Mortal Kombat 3 a little less. I didn't like any game after that. MK 2011 was supposed to be a recognition that there are many people out there like me--people who want them to remove all of the content, get back to basics, and make those basics enjoyable and well presented. Or at least that's how I read it.

Without getting in to which specific characters I like or don't like, in general, announcements about how "tons of old stuff is back" concern me. I'd be happier if they announced 10 characters that weren't in the game as a way of proving the point that they're moving away from character roster and bought-into-their-own-bullshit canon garbage.
I don't get your argument. The "glory days" of MK were MK1-UMK3. Boon and co. are bringing back basically everyone from those days and inserting them into a gameplay system that appears to be built on very solid fighting game mechanics and design. That seems to be what people want, and it seems to be exactly what we are getting. There does appear to be some additional quirks added into that classic formula (e.g. two-on-two tag battles), but the core gameplay has been praised so far because it is delivering the classic characters in a good fighting game system.

Generally, one of the significant complaints about the post UMK3 era is that the games became watered down with a lot of new characters that nobody really cared about, and yet you want them to add in ten new characters into a back-to-basics franchise reboot?

GatorBait said:
I don't get your argument. The "glory days" of MK were MK1-UMK3. Boon and co. are bringing back basically everyone from those days and inserting them into a gameplay system that appears to be built on very solid fighting game mechanics and design. That seems to be what people want, and it seems to be exactly what we are getting. There does appear to be some additional quirks added into that classic formula (e.g. two-on-two tag battles), but the core gameplay has been praised so far because it is delivering the classic characters in a good fighting game system.

Generally, one of the significant complaints about the post UMK3 era is that the games became watered down with a lot of new characters that nobody really cared about, and yet you want them to add in ten new characters into a back-to-basics franchise reboot?

I think you got his point backwards. To me Stumpokapow was saying he would rather them come out and give a list of tons of (mostly all post-MK3) characters that would NOT be in the game so that all the future hype would be about what kinds of stuff have they done to enhance the gameplay system itself and not about the character roster. I could be wrong, but that's the understanding I got from reading his post.

GatorBait

AdawgDaFAB said:
I think you got his point backwards. To me Stumpokapow was saying he would rather them come out and give a list of tons of (mostly all post-MK3) characters that would NOT be in the game so that all the future hype would be about what kinds of stuff have they done to enhance the gameplay system itself and not about the character roster. I could be wrong, but that's the understanding I got from reading his post.
Yeah, now that I read that post again, maybe you are right, but he also wrote:

Stumpokapow said:
Almost all of those characters are disappointing.

One of the reasons why MK got less popular is because they bought into their own shit about the mythology being important and about adding 999999 new characters was important. So far 2011 has looked very restrained, but this latest character/feature list suggests we're one release dump away from finding out they've readded go-karts.

:/
Which strikes me as odd because all but one of those characters are from MK1-UMK3 (Quan Chi being the exception). With these leaks we are also nearing the end of the roster. I would guess the remaining obvious classic characters will be announced and that will pretty much be it. I don't believe the initial roster is expected to break 30 (the current character select screen has 26 spots), so there should be little worry that the roster is going to be teeming with post-UMK3 characters.

I'm not really sure that the copyright/trademark/patent of Killer Instinct is all that clear and is wholly owned by MS. I think Nintendo might have some claims in the ownership, I distinctively remember KI/2/Gold and Cruisn'USA/World (I think this was developed by Midway and Nintendo) being part of the whole Ultra 64 thing in the Arcades that would be ported perfectly into the Nintendo 64.

Now I'm not sure, but I think Nintendo helped develop those games. Plus Midway published those games in the Arcades, so they might have a share of that pie too. I think that's why we have never seen a new KI (and Cruisn for that matter) games on XBox/XBL or Wii, because it's not wholly owned by one entity, whereas other Rare developed titles like PD, Conker, Banjo, DK, etc have clear owners and have been released since Nintendo and Rare parted ways . Again, this is just an educated guess on my part, I might be completely wrong (probably am).

EDIT: I know I might be going off topic, but all this KI got me curious as if I'll ever play my favorite fighting franchise ever again. I did some more digging and maybe Nintendo owns the copyright? Or maybe it's Nintendo/Rare? BTW, a copyright is valid for 70 years AFAIK.

EDIT2: Was wrong, it says ©Nintendo/Rare on all 3 boxes, not just the N64 one.

Songbird

Prodigal Son
AranhaHunter said:
I'm not really sure that the copyright/trademark/patent of Killer Instinct is all that clear and is wholly owned by MS.
I am almost entirely certain that KI is a Rare property. Think of it as this: Rare's games that don't feature Nintendo-created characters are in the clear. Conker (Diddy Kong Racing doesn't count), Jet Force Jemini, Banjo etc.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
The one thing that would make me lose my shit is if the "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!" music appeared. Has anyone ever mentioned The Immortals in connection with this game?

BocoDragon said:
The one thing that would make me lose my shit is if the "MORTAL KOMBAT!!!" music appeared. Has anyone ever mentioned The Immortals in connection with this game?

I can guarantee it will be credits music. If not, I am going to sell my copy for MvC3.

EvilMario said:
Jaffe is having to defend himself for his FUCKAILITY Tweet. :lol

http://twitter.com/davidscottjaffe

It better be called Sexuality instead of Fucktality! :lol :lol

Or maybe... Bestiality? OK, too much coffee for me now.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
shagg_187 said:
I can guarantee it will be credits music. If not, I am going to sell my copy for MvC3.
If it is, I will buy it.

And I haven't bought an MK game since........ well, I've never bought an MK game. Back in the 16-bit days I always had a friend with a copy.

Thnikkaman said:
I am almost entirely certain that KI is a Rare property. Think of it as this: Rare's games that don't feature Nintendo-created characters are in the clear. Conker (Diddy Kong Racing doesn't count), Jet Force Jemini, Banjo etc.

I mentioned that in my post and I believe KI is a special case, the fact that it says ©Nintendo/Rare in the back of the GB, SNES and N64 boxes does imply to me that both Nintendo and Rare have ownership on the franchise and that does not encourage me. I would love to be wrong as I would love to see a new iteration of it, but everyone wants a new one, or maybe even a XBL/WW title and yet we haven't seen anything, not even a character appearance in another game AFAIK, there's gotta be a reason for that. Anyways, enough thread jacking, I hope MK is a good game, 1 and 2 were really good, Kratos is a plus.

KevinCow

Banned
I kinda wonder what Kratos's fighting style will be like. MK isn't known for its weapons-based fighters, and the few characters who do use weapons tend to only take them out for special moves. But Kratos, it's kinda hard to imagine him not using a weapon all the time. But then if they give him his chain blades while everyone else is using their fists for the most part, that kinda gives him an unfair advantage, don't you think?

AranhaHunter said:
I mentioned that in my post and I believe KI is a special case, the fact that it says ©Nintendo/Rare in the back of the GB, SNES and N64 boxes does imply to me that both Nintendo and Rare have ownership on the franchise and that does not encourage me. I would love to be wrong as I would love to see a new iteration of it, but everyone wants a new one, or maybe even a XBL/WW title and yet we haven't seen anything, not even a character appearance in another game AFAIK, there's gotta be a reason for that. Anyways, enough thread jacking, I hope MK is a good game, 1 and 2 were really good, Kratos is a plus.

Banjo-Kazooie also says ©Nintendo/Rare. I think that's something MS and Nintendo would have sorted out during the purchase.

Anyanka

KevinCow said:
I kinda wonder what Kratos's fighting style will be like. MK isn't known for its weapons-based fighters, and the few characters who do use weapons tend to only take them out for special moves. But Kratos, it's kinda hard to imagine him not using a weapon all the time. But then if they give him his chain blades while everyone else is using their fists for the most part, that kinda gives him an unfair advantage, don't you think?

The characters use their weapons more often than in the other 2D MKs. Kitana uses her fans more than her fists now, even her standard uppercut uses her fan. He could use his unextended blades in his normal attacks.

fernoca

shagg_187 said:
Didn't some guys from the team said ago that they tried putting the music even into some trailers and felt didn't fit?

Maybe there's going to be an updated version, but they made it sound as if the song felt too outdated. And yeah they've seen the trailers floating around with the music on it. :p

Top Bottom