• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

One of Us - Netflix documentary about the Hasidic community from Jesus Camp directors

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
This is up. I'm watching now, only about 30 minutes in, but fuck me.

They go through children's school books and black out girls faces with markers. Just page after page after page of illustrated girls with blacked out faces.

We had some issues with the Hasidic community here in Québec some years back. Lots of reports of child abuse over the years. The police were investigating them. Then one night, the entire community packed and moved. I think they went to Central America; I forget. But clearly, they wanted to avoid prosecution.

Permanently A

We had some issues with the Hasidic community here in Québec some years back. Lots of reports of child abuse over the years. The police were investigating them. Then one night, the entire community packed and moved. I think they went to Central America; I forget. But clearly, they wanted to avoid prosecution.

God that's fucking disgusting. Why are these fathers letting their children be violated?

IronRinn

Fantastic movie, but also depressing and infuriating. What that community has put Etty and her kids through is un-fucking-conscionable. Not to mention how they deal with sexual assault. Fucking awful.

Nelo Ice

Banned
People interested in this should listen to the This American Life episode; A Not So Simple Majority: https://m.thisamericanlife.org/radio-archives/episode/534/a-not-so-simple-majority
This episode made me want to punch a wall. The fuckery the Hassidic majority council was doing was infuriating.

Also I'd recommend this 2 part episode of Reply All.
https://gimletmedia.com/episode/23-exit-return-part-i/
Shulem Deen was a 22-year old and ultra-religious, a Hasidic Jewish person, when he bought a computer and signed up for America Online in 1996. Until then he’d never had a real conversation with someone outside his community. Sruthi Pinnamaneni tells the story of how the internet ruined his life and how it might save it.
Will definitely watch this too.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Once I heard a story about these guys on This American Life, it's pretty crazy how much power they had.

Top Bottom