• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2016-2017 NCAA Men's Basketball |OT| Villanova has no fans so this is their thread

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
nice comeback at the end. Allen plays an average game and Duke probably wins. I wonder how bad the fall shook him up. gg Jayhawks

scoobs

These powerhouse matchups early in the season are so much fun, I hope we keep doing them (even though KU has the worst record in the Champ Classic)

My takeaways are

• Kentucky is good, but hard to say really because MSU was just awful offensively. UK is the most athletic team in the country.
  • Kansas is a really good team, don't know if they will be able to make it to the FF w/ the fouling and rebounding issues
  • Duke is unimaginably stacked. They are down 3 McD AA's, and still almost beat Kansas. They're the heavy favorites to go all the way in my eyes.
  • I don't think Michigan State is very good, at least not yet.

It really is high time that Duke schedules a yearly home and home with a big-name program.

As fun as the games against Davidson and UNCG can be (no disrespect), last night showed that its just another level of excitement when you put two blue-bloods together.

They could also probably use a few more true road games but I get why K doesn't schedule them.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan's first big test tonight against Marquette. We have not looked great thus far (who in the B1G has other than IU tho) and Marquette already has a nice win over Vandy so I don't feel great about the game tonight.

Gary ParrishVerified account
‏@GaryParrishCBS
Virginia has dismissed former Memphis standout Austin Nichols from its basketball program.

Um...well, this is kinda a big deal as far as power balance in the ACC goes this year

hoos30

Gary ParrishVerified account
‏@GaryParrishCBS
Virginia has dismissed former Memphis standout Austin Nichols from its basketball program.

Um...well, this is kinda a big deal as far as power balance in the ACC goes this year
Many UVa fans think that our revenue sports teams are cursed. I take this news as confirmation.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
I'm curious as to what happened with Nichols. He was a prime Duke target before signing with Memphis. When he left there, some wondered if he was considering Duke, but a lot of the 9.95ers insisted that whatever interest Duke had was long gone.
Bennett is a really good coach and most thought that Nichols would exceed at UVA. Then I hear he was suspended and now dismissed. The rumor I've heard was academic cheating but I really don't know shit.

hoos30

I'm curious as to what happened with Nichols. He was a prime Duke target before signing with Memphis. When he left there, some wondered if he was considering Duke, but a lot of the 9.95ers insisted that whatever interest Duke had was long gone.
Bennett is a really good coach and most thought that Nichols would exceed at UVA. Then I hear he was suspended and now dismissed. The rumor I've heard was academic cheating but I really don't know shit.

It is fairly unlikely to be academic cheating or, anything academic, really. He is still in school apparently, just not on the team, not something that would be possible if he had been "convicted" of cheating.

Unfortunately, the unconfirmed rumors I've seen are worse than that.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
So now our top 4 guys are out with injuries, and we just lost Jeter as well.

What the hell is going on?

edit: You know what? How about this: Duke takes the rest of the season off up until the NCAA tournament to rehab and heal. We get an automatic 4-seed. I'd take that. We have enough depth to have full 5-on-5 practices at a high level. We don't actually need in-game experience.

Thoughts, Duke fans?

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Heels must have sacrificed Ramses after losing the bell last thursday. Time to call that minister that can remove voodoo curses.

So now our top 4 guys are out with injuries, and we just lost Jeter as well.

What the hell is going on?

edit: You know what? How about this: Duke takes the rest of the season off up until the NCAA tournament to rehab and heal. We get an automatic 4-seed. I'd take that. We have enough depth to have full 5-on-5 practices at a high level. We don't actually need in-game experience.

Thoughts, Duke fans?

Most Duke fans are too busy posting DAMMIT K YOU BETTER PLAY DELAURIER TODAY!!!!!!!.

Now will he? It remains to be seen. Javin doesn't have the defense down yet and K doesn't seem to believe in learning on the job

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Grayson keeps leaving these games looking terrible headed into the locker room, and then comes back out a bit later just fine. I'm thinking we might be performing some ritual sacrifices of our own. Or maybe we're injecting him with liquified money and/or he's sucking the fluid out of fetuses for their stem cells.

K will be forced to play Vrankovic, Jack White, DeLaurier, Sean Obi, and Nolan Smith by New Years at this rate

EDIT: Heck, I might try to walk-on as a grad student myself

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
K will be forced to play Vrankovic, Jack White, DeLaurier, Sean Obi, and Nolan Smith by New Years at this rate

Obi seeing the court will end in a Kevin Nash quad type situation. At this rate, it will be par for the course.
I don't know the full scoops on Bolden and Tatum other than the injuries were worse than initially thought, Giles has been participating in all non contact drills, meaning he's close to going. I wonder if they may bring him back sooner than they hoped, if they are allowed to play him. He won't see the court until 100% cleared by like 3 doctors but even then I bet they were hoping to hold off on him until late December/January.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Michigan ran through Marquette and SMU much more easily than I thought they would. A Michigan team that plays defense and rebounds is weird.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
Another toe injury!?

Lawd...

I'm watching the game with no sound and just saw that on Twitter, so apologies if it's already been discussed on TV.

What's left of the Duke Blue Devils takes on Rhode Island in 10 minutes on ESPN.

I never thought I'd be happy to hear "Chase Jeter is playing" this year but here we are.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Little Rhodey. Biggest little state in the union!

EDIT: Still think it's weird how this event plays the championship game before the consolation game.

ryseing

Excited for the NC State/Creighton game in a bit. DSJr is going to face his first real test of the season, and we don't have Kapita. Should be a good one.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Excited for the NC State/Creighton game in a bit. DSJr is going to face his first real test of the season, and we don't have Kapita. Should be a good one.

Looking forward to that one too.

Watching Northern Iowa and Xavier now. Xavier has plenty of talent but you can tell they miss their PG. Northern Iowa scrappy as usual.

Musketeers 5-0 ;')
Hopefully we have a season as the last one
Also Miles Davis is coming back in december so he should give a boost to our offense.

Not a horrible showing against Villanova for UCF losing by 10 considering they were playing a couple of walk-ons at various stretches of the game.

You know its going to be a long year when you get crushed by Northwestern. I was hoping our basketball program would be good enough this year to keep my mind off football. sigh

Gophers might actually compete this year. Don't think I watched them last year but they look a hella lot better than 2 years ago.

Even though they look a lot better they're still having problems with rebounding. Sadly Pitino's poor front court recruiting could be what keeps them from being able to make a run at making the tourney even if they are able to have a decent year.

Top Bottom