• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

'How Did This Get Made?' podcast appreciation thread

Clevinger

I tried to watch Dungeon Siege today. I got 40 minutes through and had to turn it off. It wasn't so bad it was good, it was just boring mostly.

Though every time they called him Farmer it made me burst out laughing.

Made it the whole way through In the Name of the King (alcohol helps!). So many questions.

Why was Ray Liotta's character so consumed with Farmer and that small town of wooden shacks when he already has the power to control the weather?

What was the point of Matthew Lillard character? In the end he affected nothing.

What was the point of the ninja lead guard? They only went out about 5 yards in front of the entire army, climbed the trees and shot arrows with bells on them into other trees. What did that do btw?

How did the king and the Farmer get seperated 30 years ago? And when they did get seperated did the king think, "Well I lost my only son, no point in looking for him." Farmer grew up in a farm just outside the castle and the king never knew he was there.

Why did Magus (John Rhys-Davis) look like a character from Planet of the Apes?

The list goes on and on.

Things I hope they bring up:

The final line: "There's something I've always wanted to tell you: I love you." (You're only NOW telling your wife you love her?)

The arrows: Apparently 15-20 archers can shoot about 500 arrows at once.

The score: Holy shit. The music in the opening scene on the farm was the most cloying awful garbage I've ever heard in a film.

Armor: Why is Farmer never wearing any armor ever? No helmet. No plates. Not even any goddamned mail.

Poison: How did the king recover from his poisoning? (Was this ever addressed? I was a bit tired when watching it, but I never recall an explanation on how he recovered when he was apparently on the brink of death.)

Gallian: What exactly did Ray Liotta accomplish by fucking Leelee Sobieski?

And so many others, obviously. Just a horrendous film.

tokkun

-The Boomerang

-Farmer's idea that everyone should just name themselves after their job. Wouldn't 95% of a feudal village just be named "Farmer"? And everyone's wife be named "Wife"?

Poison: How did the king recover from his poisoning? (Was this ever addressed? I was a bit tired when watching it, but I never recall an explanation on how he recovered when he was apparently on the brink of death.)

Gallian: What exactly did Ray Liotta accomplish by fucking Leelee Sobieski?

I actually know these! Magus gave the King a small vile of anti-dote. And Leelee Sobieski is the daughter of the last of the magi (much how Farmer is a farmer, Magus is a magi) and she has magic essence in her and Liotta's character was somehow corrupting her bloodline and potentially stealing some of her essenece by having sex with her.

I think I remember seeing commercials for this movie in theaters. I can't imagine how angry the people that paid to see this must've been. Although I will say - I liked this better than Spiderman 3 (aka the only movie I would've walked out of if I could have)

I actually know these! Magus gave the King a small vile of anti-dote. And Leelee Sobieski is the daughter of the last of the magi (much how Farmer is a farmer, Magus is a magi) and she has magic essence in her and Liotta's character was somehow corrupting her bloodline and potentially stealing some of her essenece by having sex with her.

Haha, thanks.

Leelee Sobieski has had such a strange career. It's like she can't decide if she wants to be an A-lister or a D-lister.

Haha, thanks.

Leelee Sobieski has had such a strange career. It's like she can't decide if she wants to be an A-lister or a D-lister.

So true ...

She's in Public Enemies, Max, Deep Impact, Eyes Wide Shut etc but then she's also in Wicker Man, In the Name of the King, Hercules, Here on Earth.

Also is it possible for her to look more like a young Helen Hunt?

Woooooooooow it cost $60 million to make.

EDIT: Aww an hour wasn't enough. I need to hear more about the badness of In the Name of the King. And I agree with Paul's assessment - if you fast forward through the long fight sequences (and you get a buzz on) its worth a watch just to see how crazy it is.

EDIT 2: Ohh June Diane Raphael and Paul Sheer are married? I guess that makes sense now why they always seem to be watching these movies together.

EDIT 3: Listening back on the Jaws 4 episode - I haven't watched it personally but this movie sounds like the product of a legitimately insane person.

EDIT 4: They did 88 Minutes? I gotta see that. The Al Pacino impressions on the Devil's Advocate movie had me cracking up.

Acid08

Banned
I'm thinking of just making an Earwolf megathread. You guys think there would be interest?

Haven't listened to this weeks HDTGM yet. Too busy jerking off.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Woooooooooow it cost $60 million to make.

EDIT: Aww an hour wasn't enough. I need to hear more about the badness of In the Name of the King. And I agree with Paul's assessment - if you fast forward through the long fight sequences (and you get a buzz on) its worth a watch just to see how crazy it is.

EDIT 2: Ohh June Diane Raphael and Paul Sheer are married? I guess that makes sense now why they always seem to be watching these movies together.

EDIT 3: Listening back on the Jaws 4 episode - I haven't watched it personally but this movie sounds like the product of a legitimately insane person.

EDIT 4: They did 88 Minutes? I gotta see that. The Al Pacino impressions on the Devil's Advocate movie had me cracking up.

I didn't know they were married either. He bagged a hottie.

Any episode that features a movie with Pacino is top notch. Simply for their impressions. Sitting through Gigli was worth it for that alone.

I think tomorrow or Thursday, I will make a list of movies that are available to watch on Youtube, or Netflix. Or give links to Amazon Instant Video.

Is Jason on Twitter?

I believe he stated that he wasn't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Fantastical

Death Prophet
Started listening to this podcast a couple of days ago. Love it. I was very pleased with the From Justin to Kelly episode. I'm ashamed to say I've watched that movie multiple times before this podcast.

Penguin

Did some data entry work, and needed some background listening.. so started listening to this podcast, and absolutely love it.

I think what I love the most is how they seem to embrace bad movies, its not an hour of them being bitter and mocking it.. but really just having fun with it for better or worse

I think tomorrow or Thursday, I will make a list of movies that are available to watch on Youtube, or Netflix. Or give links to Amazon Instant Video.

I believe he stated that he wasn't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Nice! That would be greatly appreciated. I enjoy listening to the episodes even for the movies I haven't seen but I'd like to do what I did with In Name of the King and watch them first.

And no, Jason isn't on twitter.

Yesterday was the first time I ever saw Dungeon Siege. wtf :lol

lmao at Matthew Lillard's renfaire experience.

Edit: Oh, man. I've listened to the HDTGM for the Taylor Lautner movie Abduction, and I'm seeing it free to stream on Amazon Prime...

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Skip the action scenes in Dungeon Siege and just enjoy some quality Reynolds.

Love that Ron Perlman is in this movie. Season of the Witch is another great episode, and the movie's worth watching too.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
Listened to Wild Wild West and Batman & Robin last night. Listening to Spiderman 3 right now.

Wild Wild West was probably one of the most boring ones out of the bunch. If this were a different podcast, it would have been great to hear Smith's stories. But I want to listen to people crack jokes on stupid films, and it failed in that regard big time.

ToxicAdam

Like almost everything Smith does, he was ill-prepared. He had no concept of what the podcast was (and obviously didn't bother to rewatch the movie). It wasn't until 25 minutes in that he understood what was going on and then just kind of sat back and let them do their thing.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Wild Wild West was probably one of the most boring ones out of the bunch. If this were a different podcast, it would have been great to hear Smith's stories. But I want to listen to people crack jokes on stupid films, and it failed in that regard big time.
I agree, but I still enjoyed Smith's story. I just wanted to hear more about Tom Selleck fighting giant mechanical spiders. I mean Will Smith. Will Smith fighting giant mechanical spiders.

totowhoa

Banned
I've been looking for a new podcast and this sounds like a lot of fun. After browsing the episode, I can tell that, although I've seen many of these films, I have not seen the majority. I'll probably start off with the Devil's Advocate as the OP suggested even though I haven't seen it in a looong time, and from there check out a couple of other casts on films that I've seen.

So this is pretty contingent on their personalities and the format of the show, but are episodes generally quite funny and enjoyable even if you haven't seen the film? Do the hosts assume that the viewer either has or has not seen the film?

tokkun

For me, it's generally the reverse. I tend to enjoy episodes more when I haven't seen the movie, at least not recently.

BearChair

I've been looking for a new podcast and this sounds like a lot of fun. After browsing the episode, I can tell that, although I've seen many of these films, I have not seen the majority. I'll probably start off with the Devil's Advocate as the OP suggested even though I haven't seen it in a looong time, and from there check out a couple of other casts on films that I've seen.

So this is pretty contingent on their personalities and the format of the show, but are episodes generally quite funny and enjoyable even if you haven't seen the film? Do the hosts assume that the viewer either has or has not seen the film?

You absolutely do not have to have seen the films prior to the episodes. It might help, but its not vital. It is good to have a general concept of the plot, but they are generally big enough movies that you will know them.

I recommend starting with Sleepaway Camp and Cobra. From there move on to Breaking Dawn Part 1 and 2 both with Doug Benson. I rank the first one slightly higher because the second does it does not have June, and she has a lot of funny things to say.

GK86

Homeland Security Fail

As BearChair has said, as long as you have some sort of idea what the film is, and what it is about, you will enjoy it just fine. Never saw Justin to Kelly, but it was one of my favorite episodes. I was literally crying at one point.

Often times they suggest watching the movie, but I think it is more in the lines 'holy shit, watch this, because you will never guess how bad it is.'

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
I lose it when he reads something he wrote like, "Here I wrote, shit indoors you dummy"

That or:

olMnUWE.jpg

Y28VBVM.jpg

I love Jason's personality/humor.

strobogo

Banned
I'm not big on Doug Benson after the two episodes he's been on. He steps all over everyone.

That's because Doug Benson is a fucking asshole. His passive aggressiveness is so aggressive that there is no passive left at all. He ruins every Deathsquad podcast he's on. He's such an unlikable cunt.

Top Bottom