• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vita firmware update locks memory cards

This isn't a problem for me as i'm already prepared for such changes

The act of changing your account is still as painfull so i dunno what is the change there that seems to affetct you so m uch .. from the start using content from different region on one card was only a loophole in the system ..that they only closed ..they never talked as if this was a thing you could do normally.

As long as my Retails games are still working regardless of the region i'm ok

Jucksalbe

Banned
Wait, so if you can switch accounts by switching memory cards, when do you get this message then:

When the account registered on the memory card and the account registered on the Vita don't match. So basically when you switch accounts without switching memory cards.

Aeana

This isn't a problem for me as i'm already prepared for such changes

The act of changing your account is still as painfull so i dunno what is the change there that seems to affetct you so m uch .. from the start using content from different region on one card was only a loophole in the system ..that they only closed ..they never talked as if this was a thing you could do normally.

As long as my Retails games are still working regardless of the region i'm ok
"Fuck you, I got mine" Such a great mentality.

It's something the system allowed you to do. There were no indications that it wasn't something that was supposed to be done. None. Now people are stuck with data from other regions on their memory card that they can't access.

You can't dictate value for other people, so stop trying.

Im not saying its not an issue to people. I agree it is. I'm saying that the people claiming its going to damage the Vita further are overeactiing. It wont. Individual opinion doesn't dictate if it will have a positive / negative affect unless is en mass. No need to missinturperate what I'm saying.

Those complaining on an individual level, knock yourselves out. You have a right to. I even agreed it was an unfair move.

demigod

It's something the system allowed you to do. There were no indications that it wasn't something that was supposed to be done. None. Now people are stuck with data from other regions on their memory card that they can't access.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it specifically stated before the Vita came out that the account was tied a memory card and in order to change accounts you had to format the card?

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I didn't even know you could do this before I have two Vita memory cards for my two accounts (a 4gb I got for $10 and a 16gb I got free with my Vita)
I wouldn't even want to backup, wipe, set up another account on the same card and do the SAME thing over again to switch back that's a huge hassle.

Aeana

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't it specifically stated before the Vita came out that the account was tied a memory card and in order to change accounts you had to format the card?
No, it wasn't. That was a mistranslation that I clarified in that very same thread.

Hanmik

P5RTs.jpg

Jucksalbe

Banned
Maybe I should have worded the thread title a bit better, but memory cards were ALWAYS linked to a specific account. The important difference is you didn't have to format the memory card to change that account before.

iceatcs

Exactly. I'm confusing with the high number hating/angry posts. Only explain is those are fake.

Never mind the account lock on the memory cards has enforce now - at least I didn't bought anything foreign and I don't think I will sharing with my Vita.

Hanmik

That means that you couldn't take your card and use it in another Vita, not that you couldn't use the same memory card with different accounts.

what..? selective reading..?

•After you sign up for Sony Entertainment Network from your PS Vita system, memory cards that you insert are linked to your account. You can only use the memory cards in PS Vita systems to which the same account is linked.

or am I not understanding this correctly..?

Aeana

what..? selective reading..?

or am I not understanding this correctly..?
It's not selective reading. What it says is that your memory card is linked to the account, that means you can't go put it in another Vita that uses another account. That's all it means. It says nothing about whether you can put MULTIPLE accounts on ONE card. Which you could before, no problem.

Hanmik

It's not selective reading. What it says is that your memory card is linked to the account, that means you can't go put it in another Vita that uses another account. That's all it means. It says nothing about whether you can put MULTIPLE accounts on ONE card. Which you could before, no problem.

ohh like that... nothing was ever mentioned about multiple accounts on one card..

You can only use the memory cards in PS Vita systems to which the same account is linked.

This means you can have more than one account, which in turn means you can have a specific memory card for each linked account.

Aeana

Now I've got lots of data that was associated with my Japanese PSN account, including tons of save data, that I can no longer access. It's all gone.

Jucksalbe

Banned
Now I've got lots of data that was associated with my Japanese PSN account, including tons of save data, that I can no longer access. It's all gone.

Yeah. I have lost most of my saves, too.

Edit: As someone else suggested before: If you know anyone else with a Vita (that hasn't been updated yet), you could still save all that data.

tborsje

Fuck. All of my Wipeout and Rayman saves are on the Australian account on my memory card, whilst all my PSN stuff is on my US account. Since my Vita was on the US account when I did the update, is the EU data lost?

(I chose to get a US account when I saw that PSP games like Persona 3 were $20 on the US store and $50 on the Australian one)

it's far from being a fuck you .. it's just that it wasn't advertised as much ..

The process to change regions is just as long as painfull as ever ... the change the firmware made is that this loophole is corrected .
From my own tests , even if you have all of your content on one card , some of it , just doesn't play at all because the region account doesn't match .. The voices i hear complaining may be genuily angry at this change but it wasn't anything that you couldn't predict not something that will make your life with vita harder .. for many games ( with trophies ) you still had to have your region content active for it to work

As for the "something the system allowed you to do" argument , the same can be said for teh ps3 .. there were things that you could do with ealier firmware that you can't now ..

what's different here ?the fact that it's a vita , that no matter what you still need a working internet connexion to make the change ? That you can still change accounts ??? That retails game still work ?

EDIt : you lost some saves, this is annoying i agree ..i feel your pain

Aeana

it's far from being a fuck you .. it's just that it wasn't advertised as much ..

The process to change regions is just as long as painfull as ever ... the change the firmware made is that this loophole is corrected .
From my own tests , even if you have all of your content on one card , some of it , just doesn't play at all because the region account doesn't match .. The voices i hear complaining may be genuily angry at this change but it wasn't anything that you couldn't predict not something that will make your life with vita harder .. for many games ( with trophies ) you still had to have your region content active for it to work

As for the "something the system allowed you to do" argument , the same can be said for teh ps3 .. there were things that you could do with ealier firmware that you can't now ..

what's different here ?the fact that it's a vita , that no matter what you still need a working internet connexion to make the change ? That you can still change accounts ??? That retails game still work ?
The difference here is that I lost tons of personal data without warning.

I know you guys have to stick up for your favorite company, but have a little compassion, please.

sajj316

I know you guys have to stick up for your favorite company, but have a little compassion, please.

Can you backup via PC and then restore selectively on a new memory card?

Aeana

Can you backup via PC and then restore selectively on a new memory card?
PCs can't read Vita memory cards through anything but the Content Manager, which is done from the Vita itself. If the Vita doesn't see the data, then it won't let you copy it. And it no longer sees any of it after the update.

Losing saves does suck. I always was under the impression of on account per card and that switching accounts on one card was a loophole, and Sony hates loopholes. It's just one of those things that was never supposed to exist, but I agree some warning to back up saves would have been nice.

Jawmuncher

Not sure they'll comment seeing it actually wasn't a listed feature for Vita. If it was, they would've warned about it beforehand.

But still seems like a dick move to do that and not even warn users before hand.
Oh you liked importing and all your saves....WELL TO BAD.

Oh man I feel bad for anyone who preorderd P4:G and put tons of hours in it.

sajj316

PCs can't read Vita memory cards through anything but the Content Manager, which is done from the Vita itself. If the Vita doesn't see the data, then it won't let you copy it. And it no longer sees any of it after the update.

Got it. I don't have much of a problem with the lock but Sony should have forewarned and at least provided the users a mechanism to move content to another memory card.

Spiegel

This lock makes no sense and gives the hackers reasons to make custom firmware. They really deserve what they are getting.

LuchaShaq

Banned
This thread is why I'm not buying more storage until the vita is hacked with an r4 style situation so I can use my own memory.

No dd sales from me due to shit like this and mem card pricing.

If Sony would rather I pay gamestop or some guy from craigslist for used copies that are half 1/3rd the price of downloadable they are succeeding.

People have lost saves and data, and there's fucking people in here defending that happening? Good God. :(

I don't think anyone is saying there method of changing it was fine. The change itself is perfectly fine I would say. What isn't fair is changing it without warning people as they have now lost data and had no time to move there data around / onto another card.

Aeana

It used to be, when you switched accounts, it would ask you if you wanted to format the memory card or not. It was a yes or no question. If you answer no, then everything proceeds swimmingly. But clearly this is a case of dirty people exploiting loopholes in Sony's generous policies.

Kyoufu

I was so hyped for the system but when I finally got it, it was disappointment after disappointment.

The OS and Account Lock are big reasons for me to not touch the system except for that rare occasion where I have to play an exclusive.

Jucksalbe

Banned
It used to be, when you switched accounts, it would ask you if you wanted to format the memory card or not. It was a yes or no question. If you answer no, then everything proceeds swimmingly. But clearly this is a case of dirty people exploiting loopholes in Sony's generous policies.

The funny thing is, it still does that. Only that now after you switched the account on your Vita you get that nasty bonus question shown in the picture.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Will the Vita not see the content and allow you to copy it if you wipe the main system memory with the card out and set it to whatever japanese account its all attached to?

Drop the sarcasm.
Losing saves without warning is not good ..this is clearly not cool.
Your're right on that point.
However it was said plenty of time that a mem card is tied to a account. this was nothing but a loophole.

Losing saves does suck. I always was under the impression of on account per card and that switching accounts on one card was a loophole, and Sony hates loopholes. It's just one of those things that was never supposed to exist, but I agree some warning to back up saves would have been nice.
What i feel right now ^^^

You can still change accounts, but either with a method that takes an hour or more to switch or with another method that would result in me paying them >$100.
The method to change your account still wipe the vita own memory each time , it's still long , and painfull and you still can't skip the intro video.

For me it's as painfull as ever.
i predicted this change because for me it was obvious.. i have a 4gb for a import account and my main is 32gb .. It was just too obvious this wasn't how it was supposed to work.

Well the question is still there.

I kinda agree with you to some extent. While I think the wording shown earlier does seem to mean one account per memory card (to me at least) the process of doing it where it clearly asked if you wanted to format or not pulls in the opposite direction and doesn't come across as a loop hole per say.

Hopefully they will update again so you can at least see your data via content manager and back it up for use on another card if you wish.... or swap back and forwards on one card the long way backing up and restoring)/

Top Bottom