• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia |OT|

famfrit

Good game !

Also, best girl:
zwymkpq-66ba3.jpg

NeonZ

Yeah, I'm starting to think this character never existed in the FamiCom version of FEG, and was specifically added in this remake. We're there any other characters in Echoes in a similar position?

Out of the playable cast, I think the only additions are Faye and Conrad. As far as enemies and npcs go though, Fernand, Berkut and Rinea were all new.

Anteo

Re:level ups and promotions. In this game your characters become op by abusing milas gear and dungeons battles to get the best posible level ups all the time. Promoting late or early doesnt matter as much if you are only getting +1 luk on each level up.

Blues1990

Americas saved Echoes sales fwiw. Only bombed in Japan it looks like.

As much as I want to make a joke about "Eh, they're probably turned off with the idea of not being able to play matchmaker with their favourite waifu & husbando", but I wonder why the game sold poorly?

As much as I want to make a joke about "Eh, they're probably turned off with the idea of not being able to play matchmaker with your favourite waifu & husbando", but I wonder why the game sold poorly?
It's a remake of an divisive game in the series, 3DS is beginning to wane, there was hardly any buildup to it's release in terms of marketing and exposure...and yes, no Avatar or marriage played a role, I'm sure.

7 in NPD is damn good. Also I wouldn't say it bombed in Japan, but it didn't do as well as Fates/Awakening. Most games struggle to hit Echoes numbers in the Japanese market.

If it only did worse than Awakening/Fates, nobody would've said it bombed, but it did worse than the DS remakes too.

How much worse are we talking?

launch weeks (Media Create):
2. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Shadow Dragons and (Nintendo) -144,905 / NEW
01./00. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow (Nintendo) - 136.367 / NEW
01./00. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 131.668 / NEW

6 weeks in using Media Create (latest point I found for either game with numbers):
18./14. [NDS] Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - Hero of Light and Shadow (Nintendo) - 6.838 / 232.568 (-46%)
10./07. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 3.103 / 182.371 (-29%)

(Famitsu April digital estimates)
04. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia (3DS) - 13,710

Draxal

How much worse are we talking?

Famitsu has Echoes looking at the current Media create thread (JRPGS are extremely frontloaded sales wise in Japan).

17./14. [3DS] Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia # <SLG> (Nintendo) {2017.04.20} (¥4.980) - 1.797 / 191.141 <80-100%> (-31%)

http://andriasang.com/con0ut/media_create_sales_info/

With 242,600 units, Awakening easily topped its most recent predecessors. 2010's DS remake Fire Emblem: Shin Monsho no Nazo: Hikari to Kage no Eiyu sold 136,000 units in its first week, and reached total sales of 274,000 units. Wii's Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn sold 75,000 units in its first week in February 2007, and went on to sell 180,000 units.

Blues1990

It's a remake of an divisive game in the series, 3DS is beginning to wane, there was hardly any buildup to it's release in terms of marketing and exposure...and yes, no Avatar or marriage played a role, I'm sure.

As I mentioned in a post a couple of pages ago, this game hit all the right marks for me, while Fates left a sour taste in my mouth. (I would personally love future installments to have towns and dungeons to explore, as that was a welcoming feature that made sense mechanically. It added additional narrative and world building, which made me want to know the game world.)

I also would be happy if the Avatar/Matchmaking would take a back seat, at least for the time being. It made sense (narratively speaking) in Awakening, what with it potentially being the last game in the series and it was a mechanic they wanted to explore again. But it was needlessly unnecessary for Fates, and it blimped up the character rooster with heroes I didn't give a shit about, never mind the forgettable cast of dunderheads that populated the game already.

Finally got around to beating this.

All and all. A mediocre game. The gameplay got boring after a while and lack of difficulty made me lose interest. I stopped multiple times because of forced skirmishes, something that should've been skippable.

Story was well done, some parts were iffy plot wise, but VA and structure were solid. Unfortunately not enough to keep my interest. At the end I forced myself to finish it. Probably the worst thing I can say about a video game.

soundtrack was great tho.

Spending 7 extra levels as a sucky villager is 100% not worth the extremely minor stat gains. Again, promoting immediately let's you make the most of your stat gains. If I can get Gray to promote to a mercenary and get 10 Speed immediately (and take advantage of his high Speed and start kicking ass early on) that's better than waiting to pick up a few meaningless stat points, then promoting. It's just math.
though I get your point, but its also math that He will have higher final stats if he stayed as a villager longer.

I guess I'm just finding a balance between the minmaxing I did in awakening and fates, and trying to not spend an absurd amount of time.

Also I got Mathilda and Faye into Golden Knights, and Mathilda has passed my Faye back up. Golden Knight had really high starting strength, which closed most of the gap left. Faye still has higher defense and resistance, so shes my baiter still

That still means getting to that point without Physic and Rescue.
I havent used either at all on either side actually, and I have Physic on Celica's

Gradivus

What are the sales numbers in the West?

Awakening never appeared in the top 10
Birthright was 9th ( would had been 3rd if all versions were included)
Echoes was 7th (Didn't have digital figures included)

Keep in mind Echoes, like Fates was released late during the month unlike Awakening so it didn't get a full month's worth of sales.

We only know that it is seventh for the month of May in NPD which is pretty damn good.

Awakening never appeared in the top 10
Birthright was 9th ( would had been 3rd if all versions were included)
Echoes was 7th (Didn't have digital figures included)

Keep in mind Echoes, like Fates was released late during the month unlike Awakening so it didn't get a full month's worth of sales.

Oh, I see. Sounds pretty good then, I was kinda concerned that the low sales in Japan would discourage IntSys from making more remakes.

Yagami_Sama

I promoted the villagers like below :

Gray: Mercenary
Tobin: Cavalier
Kliff: Archer
Faye: Mage

And :

Atlas: Archer

I regret promoting Atlas do Archer, so far he is not good, missed a lot and thanks I had to reset a few times, let's see if when becomes a Sniper things get better. I thought in promoting him to Mercenary, but had already 2.

vareon

Just starting now, finished the first small dungeon. Since it's a bit different than other FE, any starting tips? Should I reclass the villagers immediately?

Anteo

Just starting now, finished the first small dungeon. Since it's a bit different than other FE, any starting tips? Should I reclass the villagers immediately?

Reclass asap unless you want plan to grind/abuse the turnwheel for a while to get a few extra stats.

RRockman

Banned
Um, Shun's kinda gotten really busy, so I don't think we will get it tbh.

oh, ok. Thats fine.
Hmm...looks like they're all used. Pretty sure it's cheaper than getting a new copy in Canada but that's not saying much when video games cost upwards of $100 over here.

Oh no, they're gone! originally they were coming directly from amazon but I guess they sold out. I knew I should have made a new thread.

CazTGG

oh, ok. Thats fine.

Oh no, they're gone! originally they were coming directly from amazon but I guess they sold out. I knew I should have made a new thread.

I snagged a copy regardless of the fact that I own the vanilla edition. Better that than pay $60 CAD (45-ish U.S.) than $200 on eBay.

Lynx_7

Despite starting off strong, this game really needed some better maps to keep things interesting later on. I'm at the end of Act 4 and at this point I'm kinda bored by all the battles. I thought taking out
Jedah at the end of Celica's route would've been an interesting challenge but in the end it amounted to nothing more than casting Ragnarok and praying Jedah missed the counterattack
.Thankfully I should be near the end by now.

For curiosity's sake, are the DLC maps any better?

Anteo

Despite starting off strong, this game really needed some better maps to keep things interesting later on. I'm at the end of Act 4 and at this point I'm kinda bored by all the battles. I thought taking out
Jedah at the end of Celica's route would've been an interesting challenge but in the end it amounted to nothing more than casting Ragnarok and praying Jedah missed the counterattack
.Thankfully I should be near the end by now.

Rise of the deliverance looks pretty good, with refreshing objectives compared to the main game.

They are they recycled maps with new objectives except for Flight from the Ruins, which is probably the best one.

The Zofia Harbor one has you going to Slayde's rescue. Then once he's legged it, the map becomes a rout. With your limited units, you do have to be fairly careful.

The Southern Outpost one seems tricky at first, but is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. You need to rescue 3 soldiers, then leg it before the enemy catches up.

Flight from the Ruins has Clair and Mathilda stuck in the middle of enemy territory and they need to escape the map. You have to play very smart here and I had to redo this map about a dozen times.

Defence of Zofia Castle seemed really weird to me. You need to defend for 9 turns against astonishing enemy numbers. But due to the layout of the map, you can just sit on the defence line and put Clive or somebody in the chokepoint. Way too easy.

I do think the maps were a nice change of pace, but they didn't really amount to much for me. If anything, I enjoyed the character development more. (You get a good amount of pre- and post-battle dialogue, plus new memories and support conversations.)

M-PG71C

I just finished it today, all in all, I'm really happy they decided to remake Gaiden because it would have been the only way I would have played it really. I hope they remake other titles in the future (JP sales are okay but it seems the U.S. and EU have picked up the slack). Map design is garbage but looking at the Famicom game, what is new? I guess it had to be faithful lol

Absolutely insane we may get another FE mainline title next year on the Switch. I can get use to this yearly FE fix!

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Im in Act 3, what are the silver and gold coins you find in dungeons for? I haven't used them once in the whole game... am I missing something?

Golnei

Also rip Shizas the one minor boss no one cared about until he didn't show up in the remake

His absence is just kind of weird - I'm not sure why he needed to be completely replaced. Fernand and Zakson were on the same map, and there's an additional generic cavalier in the Fernand/Berkut map. It could have easily been the three of them, and having him as the only generic boss that was removed is a strange distinction.

Lynx_7

Rise of the deliverance looks pretty good, with refreshing objectives compared to the main game.

I do think the maps were a nice change of pace, but they didn't really amount to much for me. If anything, I enjoyed the character development more. (You get a good amount of pre- and post-battle dialogue, plus new memories and support conversations.)

Sounds good. I'll probably check it out on YouTube or something since the DLC is still way too overpriced for me.

And wow, I regret not choosing Cleric Faye from the start. Warp/Rescue trickery speeds things up considerably and having another Physic user is also a nice bonus.

UCBooties

I just lost on the third floor of Duma's Tower and I'm seriously considering dropping the game entirely. Two hours and no save? Fuck off, this is the second time I've lost deep in a dungeon and I don't have the patience to lose hours of progress anymore. Any reason to keep at this or should I just move on to SMTIV Apocalypse?

Weebos

Banned
I just lost on the third floor of Duma's Tower and I'm seriously considering dropping the game entirely. Two hours and no save? Fuck off, this is the second time I've lost deep in a dungeon and I don't have the patience to lose hours of progress anymore. Any reason to keep at this or should I just move on to SMTIV Apocalypse?

Did it really take you that long to get to the third floor of Duma's Tower?

I sympathize, they should have at least included a quick save for dungeons, but the entirety of Duma's Tower took me under an hour on Hard Classic.

UCBooties

Did it really take you that long to get to the third floor of Duma's Tower?

I sympathize, they should have at least included a quick save for dungeons, but the entirety of Duma's Tower took me under an hour on Hard Classic.

I don't know exactly, I've been playing the game on and off on breaks. It certainly feels like that.

Astral Dog

Dragon Quest VIII or FE Echoes? I became a big FE fanboy but for some reason this one doesn't get my attention.

Im also thinking about Kirby Robobot :3

Nobody :(

Mcdohl

Personally, I find Faye and her disturbing obsession with Alm just obnoxious.

Yeah, like writers tried too hard. She feels so out of place. I hate her. I guess she's meant to cater to the new, more fan servicey audience of FE, if there's any.

Q: [chapter 3 ending spoilers]
Celica got promoted (class change) at the end of the chapter, but Alm did not. Does Alm get promoted later or did I miss something?

Draxal

Yeah, like writers tried too hard. She feels so out of place. I hate her. I guess she's meant to cater to the new, more fan servicey audience of FE, if there's any.

Q: [chapter 3 ending spoilers]
Celica got promoted (class change) at the end of the chapter, but Alm did not. Does Alm get promoted later or did I miss something?

Not really, she's more making fun of the fanbase if anything.

Top Bottom