• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Angels Fall First- Amazing looking sci fi fps wargame!

ultrazilla

Fj7yLZ3.gif

Angels Fall First is an Unreal Engine 3 powered PC game described as a "first person combined-arms sci-fi wargame".

Teaser trailer:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S_PkfsH9joc

Sizzle trailer woah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=k8BwwplbaM8

The official website:

http://www.affuniverse.com/#news

ScreenShot00066.jpg

ScreenShot00046.jpg

ScreenShot00073.jpg

ScreenShot00092.jpg

ScreenShot00094.jpg

ScreenShot00087.jpg

From commanding the battle standing on the bridge of your flagship all the way down to frantic infantry firefights - AFF brings together all the combat you ever wanted.
Featuring tactical team-oriented gameplay and offering a wide selection of weapons, tools, vehicles and spacecraft, AFF focuses on objective-based scenarios with a high degree of replayability, playable both online and offline

Gameplay overview:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1&v=625_eECEw4A

nH53O0P.gif

Fully operational capital ships with playable interiors which can be destroyed or captured by boarding.
Games encompass both fleet and infantry combat - work together to assault spacestations, shipyards and enemy.
Huge variety of roles - dogfight in a space interceptor, command a ground assault from the tactical map, assume point to clear a building, hunt with a frigate wolfpack as a lineship captain.
AFF is in development by a small independant team,
in evenings and weekends.

That's right. 7 guys working over 7 years on this with basically no budget!

F6BGZa6.gif

Press release:

Thursday September 24th:
COMING OCTOBER 1ST 2015!

Angels Fall First will be available to buy on Steam Early Access from October 1st.
It's been a long time coming, but we are proud to finally present the game with hundreds of improvements, loads of new content, and many new maps.

We are releasing as Early Access because whilst this is a full working game with lots to see and do, it still has rough edges. We'd feel bad asking for the price of a final release, but we feel that it represents great value in its current state as an Early Access title at a lower price.
It's time to let AFF out into the wild and get people involved!

Detailed Feature List

Combined-arms combat - fly starfighters and capital ships, drive vehicles and fight on foot.
Objective-based matches, each map features a unique scenario with an escalating set of objectives, plus a Territory Control gametype.
Multiplayer up to 64 players, dedicated and listen servers, with bots able to fill in for players in any role.
Full AI bot support - use bots to increase body count for matches with fewer players. AI understands every aspect of gameplay, including the chain of command. Offline play is possible, as well as co-op style of matches where human players face off against bots.
Tactical, squad-based infantry gameplay.
Customizable infantry, vehicle and spacecraft loadouts.
Infantry suit modifications to personalize the gameplay style - pick a light suit to run circles around your enemies or a heavy suit to withstand their fire.
A huge variety of unique infantry loadout items - weapons, mods, customizable sights, underslung launchers, deployable turrets and more.
Intricate gun handling, multiple firemodes per weapon, material penetration, leaning around corners, reviving teammates.
16 different capital ships to take command of, defend, repair or board and sabotage from the inside.
Multiple fighter and bomber classes to pilot, launched from capital ships and stations.
Space battles in which all ships are pilotable from huge battleships to the fighters they launch, infantry combat within capital ship and station interior locations.
Space fighters also with customizable weapons and subsystems.
Planetside battles involving infantry, vehicles, aircraft and sprawling environments.
Vehicular ground combat in all its shock and awe glory.
Customizable personal or multi-crew vehicles delivered right onto the battlefield by dropships. Switch out weapons and add vehicle mods as you earn more points.
Commander mode - an elected commander can issue orders to squads from a tactical overview map - but if nobody feels like it, the AI commander is always ready to serve.
Flexible loadout points system - nothing is locked, but everything costs you points earned in battle.
Persistent player stats.
Wiki website with extensive lore describing the Angels Fall First universe.
Gigabytes of content created by a team of industry-moonlighting pros and talented amateurs over nearly a decade.

Steam page here:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/367270/

AZLEGnc.gif

Instabought!

drotahorror

Added this to my wishlist this morning while browsing this year upcoming releases on steam. Definitely on my radar.

Way back in the back-whens, we loved Tie Fighter. A little later on, we loved Battlefield. We waited patiently for the game which would inevitably unite the vast scale and spacefights with the close and personal firefights and thunderous vehicle battles...

But it never really appeared. Many games came close, but there was always some part missing. You couldn’t get out of your spaceship, you couldn’t get into your spaceship, you had big spaceships but you couldn’t run around in them, you could run around in your big spaceship but you couldn’t fly it and so on and so forth and gahd damMIT! Where was our spacefight groundfight game?

So, we set ourselves to work. AFF exists because it MUST exist. Only in AFF can you spawn in your crew quarters, run to the bay watching the space fight out of the windows, launch a dropship, fight through the defenders to the enemy flagship, breach the hull, run and gun your way to the bridge and SHOOT THE ENEMY CAPTAIN IN THE BACK OF THE NECK.

This sounds and looks amazing. I won't jump in right away because i want to read about how well it plays and handles that chaos. Have my eye on it though.

ultrazilla

If there's interest and the mods ok it, we can
make this the OT thread.

This has been in development for 7(!) years by
a small group of 7 friends on basically a zero
budget and in their spare time.

Think Call of Duty, Battlefield and Star Citizen as
having a baby.

Keasar

Hold the fucking phone.

This is on Early Access?!

I thought this project was dead since years ago! Awesome! I was following this a long time ago and when they stopped updating I thought it was abandoned.

This looks great. I remember seeing the trailer a few months ago, the space combat is something that sounds really interesting. I'll likely get this at some point but for now i think I'll wait and see how it does.

It's like an expanded version of Battlefront 2, which is awesome.

Great price, too. It'll stave off any sort of ghost-towning, even with the very welcome addition of bots to fill out the empty player slots.

Gordito

Neo Member
Lookin' good.

Biggest problem for these indie multiplayer games, that I've encountered at least, is an inability to keep a dedicated playerbase. I hope this one sticks around.

Keasar

Bought. Will give this a serious shot when I get home but first impression is this is definitely the game I tested so many years ago when it was a mod, now with more stuff.

They just need to clean up the interface quite a lot and I'll be satisfied.

I've been watching a couple of streams and it looks good, but there are some issues with the UI and some glitches with the sound. There is some strange lag in online multiplayer. Also, the tutorial needs to be improved. However, the games overall seems solid. I can't wait to try it when I get home.

Walpurgis

Banned
Game looks last gen but I guess that is expected considering the working conditions. The concept is awesome. I'm actually surprised it hasn't really been done before. Dust 514 is the closest that I've played and that game is trash. I hope this becomes the next big thing on Steamband Twitch. The devs deserve to be showered on money for making a game like this (assuming it doesn't suck).

It's very promising. Ground combat is okay, but rough as guts at the moment. Everything lacks weight and most weapons are missing the 'oomph' factor. It reminds me of the Bohemia Carrier Command reboot from a few years ago. Not exactly a ringing endorsement, but the chaos is there and if the shoot-bang and collision detection gets sorted, she'll be good.

The space combat, though...wow! What great scale! Feels fast and manoeuvring has zip. I really dig it, and you can tell the devs have spent a lot of time on it. Battles feel amazing with corvettes and stations firing off laser batteries and PD among scores of assault craft, all involved in big fleet actions.

So, first impressions:

Ground combat - keep that oven preheated.
Space combat - awesome fun.

These look pretty sweet, remind me of Warhawk for ps3

If it had the bounce and thickness, for lack of a better word, of Warhawk's ground combat, it'd get my emphatic praise. As it stands, Juba says 'not yet, not yet'.

Covering it for our channel. Interesting title.

Yeah, it's pretty damn interesting. The UI needs a desperate overhaul, though. Holy shit, what a busy, noisy beast in the vehicle deployment screen.

low-G

They beat Star Citizen to the punch!

I'm getting Quake vibes in the best possible way from some of those screenshots. May have to dive in recklessly!

Karak

Highly enjoyable. I am rendering a Lets Play Video starts at around 11 minutes in.
I had an amazing time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpNTloS8_0

Pros
AI is fairly good
Battle tactics like flanking and pincer all are being used by the AI
Graphics are Very good
Very Space Above And Behind/Dust kind of feel
Varied roles

Cons
Not very Multithreaded
GFX aren't optomized so some low FPS
Servers are mostly EU but growing
Interface is both awesome and NOT awesome Solidly 50% good 50% bad

Highly enjoyable. I am rendering a Lets Play Video starts at around 11 minutes in.
I had an amazing time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbpNTloS8_0

Pros
AI is fairly good
Battle tactics like flanking and pincer all are being used by the AI
Graphics are Very good
Very Space Above And Behind/Dust kind of feel
Varied roles

Cons
Not very Multithreaded
GFX aren't optomized so some low FPS
Servers are mostly EU but growing
Interface is both awesome and NOT awesome Solidly 50% good 50% bad

Aw sheeet didn't know or forgot you're on GAF. Love your channel!

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
It reminds me a little of Strike Vector. I like the look and feel of Strike Vector, but it makes me want to do more, explore more, and find out a purpose. This looks very ambitious.

Jag

Is this is mostly multiplayer or will it have a single player campaign? I grab gaming time when I can. It doesn't lend itself to long MP sessions.

Is this is mostly multiplayer or will it have a single player campaign? I grab gaming time when I can. It doesn't lend itself to long MP sessions.

To belatedly answer your question, I dig the bot matches, and they're fairly quick and sharp. If you just want a quick bash, it's pretty good.

Still being tightened up, and has a long way to go, but really dig what's on offer so far.

This game got updated! Hopefully it leads to a bit of a revival
Hey there AFF Community!

The time has finally come to update the public branch with all the changes we've been making to the game over the last few months! We've received some incredibly detailed feedback while releasing the test builds - big thanks for that! AFF certainly wouldn't be the same game without all the late-night discussions with our lovely Community!

While our work here is certainly not done, we now feel like the new UI and all the massive changes it brings are ready to be released to a wider audience. So just to recap what this update brings:

New UI
We've completely redone the HUD and all the menus. AFF's gameplay should be much easier to understand thanks to that - the HUD is more readable, the objectives are clearly highlighted, the flow of the menus is more user-friendly. We're aware not everybody will like with the new, less stylized aesthetic. We're not 100% sure whether these are the final looks of the UI either but iterating upon it is also an order of magnitude easier than what we had to deal with in the old UI. That means we can also respond to player feedback with fixes and new features much faster now.

New soundtrack
The game now features an entire album's worth of music by celebrated cinematic composer Edward Patrick White. The tracks are picked dynamically based on the current situation around the player - ambient melodies for calmer periods, more up-beat tracks for combat and faction-specific themes for intro and debriefing sequences.

Visual customization

We had to add something special to reward our awesome Community for the patience you guys and girls have, for dealing with us and waiting for the public update for so long. We've implemented a camouflage customization system where you can pick patterns and colours to paint onto your armour. Separate themes can be selected for infantry and each vehicle. If you don't want to see other players' customization, we've also included an option to not display them on your client in the settings menu.

We're not sure yet whether we'll tie it to any sort of in-game progression or achievements. We do understand that progression appeals to a lot of gamers but we don't want a feature to exist purely for the sake of unlocks. The AFF ethos is to give players ways to have fun in their own way, express their own style of playing, not artificially limit the choices. So we'll see where this goes, nevertheless we want this feature to be a milestone marking a new period for AFF - a period of new, shiny content.

Lukather Seaside Spaceport maps

Speaking of content, we've added 2 maps, for the Incursion and the Territories game modes, based on the old Lukather Spaceport location we had in the early prototypes of AFF. You'll get to fight through landing pads, cargo areas, passenger terminals and in the parking lots on this one, with plenty of opportunities for both close-quarters and long-range combat. These maps also focus on providing the players with more light-weight armoured assets - LAVs, mechs and gunships will help fighting through the tights areas between freight containers and damaged structures of the spaceport.

And we're just getting started with this! Watch this space for much more content coming your way in the nearest future! In one of the previous announcements we've also mentioned we'll be releasing experimental maps to the test branch after this giant update. We will probably skip doing that and instead release them directly to the public branch, and retire the test server for now. The reason for this is we don't want to split the small Community any further - and those maps aren't in particularly early stages either. They're close enough to completion to not be out of place on the public branch in the near future.

Other notable changes previously only present on the test branch include:

• New spotting mechanics
    Spotted infantry only remain so while you have line of sight. Enemies generate a stationary "?" icon when they make noise or are tagged by friendlies when out of sight. Big vehicles - capital ships and tanks - will remain spotted all the time. This enables more nuanced gameplay, asking the players to be more aware of their surroundings, while at the same time keeping the big battles centered on key assets like capital ships.
  • Changes to Territories mode rules
    We've been experimenting with the Territories game mode and now blowing up enemy vehicles will impede opposing team's progress, subtracting a few percent from their score accumulated by capturing objectives. How many percent depends on the importance of the destroyed vehicle. This should encourage the teams to conserve their assets more carefully, especially defend their battleships in space. When your team's vehicle is lost, the whole team will get a message informing about the setback.
  • User settings should no longer be wiped between updates
    Configuration files were getting overwritten whenever Steam decided to touch them, resulting in losing loadout configurations, graphics settings and so on. They should now merge correctly every release instead of getting overridden, unless we deliberately need to reset some settings.
  • Smoother interactions on boarding and docking
    We've put a lot of effort into making the ships behave in a more stable manner on docking and boarding, especially online. Dropships should now properly attach to enemy hulls without phasing through the target ships or station and fighters will dock for rearming much more gracefully.
One thing conspicuous by its absence is the tutorial in the main menu. We had to disable it because, with the advent of the new UI and all the changes to the game mechanics, it got really outdated and broken. We'll re-introduce it in a more comprehensible form in the nearest future.

Whole changelog can be found under the link below, as it's simply too big to fit it into a Steam announcement:

FULL CHANGELOG

Top Bottom