• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tomb Raider Suite (Nathan McCree) Kickstarter ending - [UP] Funded!

Kickstarter campaign
Launch video (YouTube)

Goal: £160,000
Campaign end: 29 days until end (June 25th)
Type: All-or-nothing
Composer: Nathan McCree
Producer: David Burns
Orchestrator: Adam Langston

yoL0efG.png

When Nathan McCree wrote the music for the first three Tomb Raider games between 1996 and 1998, he used his favourite synthesizers available at the time. But for 20 years he dreamt of hearing his music performed by a full orchestra and choir and with the 20th Anniversary of the release of Tomb Raider in 2016, the timing was perfect to realise his dream.

OUR GOAL

Our goal is to make a studio recording of The Tomb Raider Suite with one of England's leading orchestras in England's best loved recording studio, Abbey Road in London.

This is a unique opportunity for all Tomb Raider fans worldwide to finally own and hear a world-class recording of this music as Nathan McCree had always intended it.

SCHEDULE

The music has been orchestrated, copied and printed and is now ready to be recorded. We will book the studio, orchestra, choir and conductor as soon as we know the target monies have been raised. Subject to availability of the studio and the orchestra, our goal is to record in August 2017 and to have the album available worldwide by November 2017.

COST TARGET

The process of producing a full orchestral album approximately 90 minutes in duration is extremely expensive and we cannot achieve this without your help. To hire a 76-piece orchestra and a 20-voice choir with a world-class conductor and studio engineer at one of the top studios in the world, then mix and master we need to raise £160,000. This figure also includes the costs of Kickstarter (credit card fees, Kickstarter fee, VAT and pledge fulfillment).

STRETCH GOALS

If we are fortunate enough to exceed our initial target, we plan to put the additional funding back into the project. There are a number of things we would like to do if this happens:

Increase the size of the Choir for the recording at Abbey Road
Increase the size of the Brass Section for the recording at Abbey Road
Increase the size of the Woodwind Section for the recording at Abbey Road
Record and release the synthesizer only version of The Tomb Raider Suite
Remaster and release the original, unchanged game soundtracks for Tomb Raider I, II and III
Film and release a TV / DVD documentary about the making of The Tomb Raider Suite

sublimit

Banned
So much nostalgia listening to this track... I remember the days staying up late listening to this on the main menu and not knowing what the next level has in store for me.

Nathan made so many iconic tracks in the first three games and they all bring back very strong memories.Longing for home is also another example besides the main themes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjKZHBCQ_5w

The whole sound design of those games including ambient sounds and sound placement in general was pure genius.

Harlequin

YES! The KS is finally here!

If you want to get a feel for what orchestrated versions of some of the old tracks might sound like, Nathan uploaded monitor mixes of some of the tracks last year:
And there's one official clip of the newly composed track In The Blood from last year's concert:
You can also find fan-recorded videos of the concert on YouTube to hear the other tracks. However, keep in mind that the audio quality in those videos isn't great, that Nathan didn't get everything he wanted for the concert (I believe he wanted a bigger choir, for example) and that there are some mistakes in there because the orchestra only had a single session to practise the pieces before the concert.

darylbaxter

Neo Member
Backed for the £120 pledge.
Got to have the vinyl!

It's one of those 'once in a lifetime' things really.
If this fails then there'll be a slim chance of it ever happening, alongside the American Live Tour.

But it's almost at 20% with not a day passed, so it's promising so far.

sublimit

Banned
YES! The KS is finally here!

If you want to get a feel for what orchestrated versions of some of the old tracks might sound like, Nathan uploaded monitor mixes of some of the tracks last year:
And there's one official clip of the newly composed track In The Blood from last year's concert:
You can also find fan-recorded videos of the concert on YouTube to hear the other tracks. However, keep in mind that the audio quality in those videos isn't great, that Nathan didn't get everything he wanted for the concert (I believe he wanted a bigger choir, for example) and that there are some mistakes in there because the orchestra only had a single session to practise the pieces before the concert.

Holy shit the new parts in the T-Rex version are incredible! Thanks for sharing!

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is actually doing fairly decently. Deciding which tier i want, whether i want a physical cd or just the download.

First I've heard of this, definitely backing it. I want the tin case edition, but not for £20 more than the regular case. I'm a sucker for steelbooks, but not that much.

evolve9

Old TR games really did have fantastic soundtracks. They were mostly pretty silent, but that feeling when you got out of a dark corridor and right in front of you is a 1000 year old gigantic construction and then that blissful music starts playing, it really elevated the experience.

I have to mention Venice violins though, the track was fantastically placed, gliding through Venice and shooting everything in sight while this classical-like music was playing in the background was always a pretty special gaming moment for me.
https://youtu.be/VWsICxqgt5w

Falk

that puzzling face
I very much hope this funds, but I also hope they don't give up on it completely if it doesn't - especially if the arrangements and copyist work already has been completed.

Falk

that puzzling face
I'm envious. I started a thread for a crowd funding campaign the other day and it got shut down within a minute.

I'm sure deep down you realize that the post you quoted probably doesn't actually mean 'we, the people behind the Kickstarter' when it says 'we'.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm sure deep down you realize that the post you quoted probably doesn't actually mean 'we, the people behind the Kickstarter' when it says 'we'.

I honestly assumed it did. This thread the other day got a pass so I thought I was just missing something.

That's because you was in direct relation with it. I'm posting this campaign as a Tomb Raider fan, I ain't affiliated with TR/Nathan/KS.

My apologies. I honestly thought you were working on the campaign/project.

Falk

that puzzling face
Well, I'm still not convinced gunning right for an all-or-nothing Abbey Road target was the best idea, but it looks like it's got a really, really good shot of pulling through!

edit: Looking at the kicktraq backer count vs pledge, I think it's more likely someone went for the £7,500 tier, or an angel backer.

Another awesome new announcement:

Nathan McCree said:
Dear Backers,

To recognize the generosity that you have been showing towards this project, we have decided to giveaway 10 free tickets to each of the Composer Buffet Receptions in London and San Francisco.

The prize draw will be open to all backers who have pledged £45 or more.

We have also decided to increase the number of GOLD ULTIMATE EDITION albums to 200. We intend to now giveaway 100 in a prize draw to all backers who have pledged £5 or more, and we will be giving away a further 25 at each of the Composer Buffet Receptions.

If you want to get your hands on one of these amazing very limited GOLD ULTIMATE EDITIONS, make sure you get your ticket to the Composer Buffet Reception to increase your chance of winning.

Either upgrade your pledge to at least £45 to be eligible to win a Composer Buffet Reception ticket, or simply increase your existing pledge by £150 to buy your ticket directly.

Increase your odds of winning one of these exclusive GOLD ULTIMATE EDITIONS by attending either one of the Composer Buffet Receptions.

Kind regards

Nathan.

Just under 50K to go, we can do this!

Update #16

Dear Backers,

It has come to our attention that many of you would like to see a Classic Lara design of the Album artwork.

And so, we have designed 3 new album covers, one for each of the Audio formats.

Classic Lara Jewel Case CD for £15

Classic Lara Signed Deluxe Tin CD for £30

Classic Lara Signed Double Vinyl Album for £45

These items are selling at the same price points as the Modern Lara designs. If you have already purchased any one of the Modern Lara albums and you simply would prefer a Classic Lara design, there is no need to do anything now. We will send out a survey if the project is funded asking you for your choice of cover - Modern or Classic.

If you would like to own both album designs simply purchase your first via the Rewards structure and then increase your pledge by above amounts accordingly. Then please send me a message or comment informing me so I have a record of that. I will then confirm your purchase.

Please see images below:

Kind regards

Nathan.

The images of the artwork won't embed here so you'll have to click the update to see them.

Update #26
256GB iPhone 7 - PRIZE DRAW

Dear Backers,
As our final thank you to all of you who have supported the project, we are very pleased to be able to offer our final prize draw of the campaign.

We have 5 x Apple 256GB iPhone 7s to give away, in the colour of your choice.

All backers who have pledged £45 or more will be entered automatically into this last prize draw.

Upgrade your pledge now for a chance to win one of these incredible Apple smartphones.

Listen to The Tomb Raider Suite in style, wherever you go.

Kind regards and thanks.

Nathan.

We're also standing at £143,606 pledged of the £160,000 goal!

Parsnip

That iPhone draw is a really weird thing.

I don't know that I've ever seen other projects do anything like that.

Harlequin

It's been quite the rollercoaster ride but it looks like the campaign might very well be successful. We're at over 146k now with a bit less than two days to go (and the past two days have been pretty crazy - people have pledged roughly 25k in those two days alone).

That iPhone draw is a really weird thing.

I don't know that I've ever seen other projects do anything like that.

It is a bit random but apparently, one of the campaign's sponsors donated them. And if it gets a few people to increase their pledges (or pledge in the first place), that's all that counts, really.

Harlequin

I can't even remember any tomb raider music. Maybe the jingle when you find a secret thing.

The early Tomb Raider games had amazing music that was held back by the technology of the time (hence this remaster). I posted some of the monitor tracks Nathan did for the Tomb Raider Suite to give people a bit of an idea of what orchestrated versions might sound like earlier in this thread. You should definitely give them a listen:

Not too familiar with Kickstarter and how it funds things, but how can ~2k backers be at almost 200k bucks. That's like at least $100 per person. That's right? Haha, sounds good.

Harlequin

Not too familiar with Kickstarter and how it funds things, but how can ~2k backers be at almost 200k bucks. That's like at least $100 per person. That's right? Haha, sounds good.

It's around 73 pounds per backer on average (so 92 USD), yeah. Though that obviously includes a good deal of people pledging more (like the two people who have pledged 7.5k) and a good deal of people pledging less than that (like the 36 people who've pledged 5 pounds).

jb1234

Well, I'm still not convinced gunning right for an all-or-nothing Abbey Road target was the best idea, but it looks like it's got a really, really good shot of pulling through!

edit: Looking at the kicktraq backer count vs pledge, I think it's more likely someone went for the £7,500 tier, or an angel backer.

It's incredibly ambitious. They could have saved a great deal of money by recording pretty much anywhere else. I know that Eastern Europe has become very popular for Kickstarter orchestral projects like this. But regardless, it looks like the odds are very good they'll pull this off.

Falk

that puzzling face
10% to go with more than a day left.

Sounds dangerous but going by precedent that's very, very safe by crowdfunding standards, considering the typical last-few-days jump and people wanting to make it happen.

edit: Yeah, 220 backers for £16.5k yesterday alone.

Top Bottom