• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Killing Floor 2 Early Access |OT| I Buy You. Birth sign: DOSH

I think Commando might be a bit short-changed as a class, as they're only good against mobs really, but the other classes seem to handle mobs just fine, and against any heavies they're just about useless at inflicting damage.
I feel like the commando has always just been the class that clears the weaker zeds, I haven't yet tried the class in KF2 but in the first game it was kind of common to see a commando with a high killcount.

spiritfox

Commandos have always fallen to the wayside in the later waves in KF1. They just don't do anything well enough compared to the other classes.

Lum1n3s

Managed to kill the nazi boss once in Burning Paris right close to where the Eiffel Tower is. Fun stuff, right now I'm a lvl. 5 support which I'm def. digging. Can't wait for them to bring back the demo class.

Has anyone else noticed the clot that looks like he's jolly as shit? Every time I see him he makes me laugh.
He's always moving his arms up and down.

therapist

did not see this came out last night , saw it this morning on my way to work.

also didnt realize you can remote install.

Bought and installing at home now , will be ready when i get home if that worked properly.

FUCK YES

Conezays

To offer another side, I've been almost exclusively playing as Commando and placing well. The perk to help teammates see cloaked enemies at level 5 is nice too.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
So last night I played for like 5 hours straight and ended up playing 2 solo games because I couldn't get into any servers with my friends.

Holy shit medic grenades are OP as shit solo.
Against Hans all it took to kill him was me face tanking him with an AA12 and throwing down medic grenades to keep the blue cloud up.

When I finally killed him (after using all 80 AA12 rounds and 12 or so double barreled shots) he had only managed to chew through my body armor and my health was still at 100%.

Seriously once I get the medic perk that lets me repair armor I foresee this being even more powerful. Also med nades do serious damage to zeds in solo play.

That being said, it's kind of silly that there doesn't seem to be an incentive to use medic guns while solo, maybe later when you get more bonuses that only apply to medic guns. However I do like that the medic weapons aren't garbage, the 1500 weapons appear to be between most 1100 and 1500 weapons in terms of damage, capacity and fire rate.

The medic shotgun is awesome as hell. also it's cool that each weapon has its own dart cool down now (don't remember if this was a thing) so you're actually encouraged to buy as many medic weapons as you can hold. Their design is sleek and awesome too.

spiritfox

The medic shotgun is awesome as hell. also it's cool that each weapon has its own dart cool down now (don't remember if this was a thing) so you're actually encouraged to buy as many medic weapons as you can hold. Their design is sleek and awesome too.

It wasn't in KF1 in the beginning, but they added separate dart CDs in a later patch.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
It wasn't in KF1 in the beginning, but they added separate dart CDs in a later patch.

Oh that's righttt, yeah I didn't play medic after a few patches in so that's probably why I don't remember.

I like that they took out the pistol only round because it was always the "everyone start as sharpshooter" round. It was really unnecessary.

Kinsei

Banned
The abilities you choose from at level 5 on the berserker are useless. Who gives a crap about extra ammo and night vision?

The extra ammo would be alright, but you can't carry both the eviscerater and pulverizer so the eviscerater becomes useless.

I've mostly been playing as Medic, but extra ammo and night vision sound great to me. The maps get insanely dark sometimes and not all weapons have flashlights. I am also often running out of ammo for my primary (usually a shotgun).

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Yeah ammo can be a huge problem, especially for waves where you have 180 zeds and the first 5 things are scrakes and flesh pounds.

I would kill for ammo skills as a medic. I find that the flashlight on my medicshotgun and medicrifle are what my friends request the most from me, most notably in burning paris.

Supposedly the health regeneration skills are very buggy right now and not work taking.

The abilities you choose from at level 5 on the berserker are useless. Who gives a crap about extra ammo and night vision?

The extra ammo would be alright, but you can't carry both the eviscerater and pulverizer so the eviscerater becomes useless.

Night vision sounds great for me. When things get hectic in a dark room, I have no idea what's going on, even with my gamma maxed out.

btags

I loved the first game and would love to get the early access version of KF2, but I only have a laptop to play it on. Would a core i7 4710HQ and nvidia 860M (2gb) be good enough to run this game at decent settings?

Yeah, that doesn't sound great but hopefully that's the kind of stuff that tripwire tweaks.

Lum1n3s

I loved the first game and would love to get the early access version of KF2, but I only have a laptop to play it on. Would a core i7 4710HQ and nvidia 860M (2gb) be good enough to run this game at decent settings?
It should be, from what I was seeing on another thread the requirements weren't that demanding.

Minimum System Requirements:
CPU: Core 2 Duo E8200 2.66GHz or Phenom II X2 545
GPU: GeForce GTS 250 or Radeon HD 4830
RAM: 3GB
Recommended Hot Iron:
CPU: Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz or Phenom II X4 955
GPU: GeForce GTX 560 or Radeon HD 6950
RAM: 4GB

The main thing is you need Windows 7 or 8 and I'm guessing that's because of DX11.

Conezays

I think you should be fine :) Some other posters have mentioned real-time reflections being one of the main resource hogs in the settings.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

Lol dude that's WAY more than enough, my laptop is essentially a notch down the belt (worse i7, GTX 755M and 8 gigs of ram) from yours and all the settings defaulted to high, game runs smooth as butter.

If you get any graphical issues just kill reflections.

I've heard there is a bug with laptop GPUs that cause the game to use your integrated card instead of your dedicated, so if your bullets appear as purple blocks, ambient lights and certain textures don't load make sure to force it through your nvida 3D settings.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I've mostly been playing as Medic, but extra ammo and night vision sound great to me. The maps get insanely dark sometimes and not all weapons have flashlights. I am also often running out of ammo for my primary (usually a shotgun).

Eh... if the maps are too dark, raise your brightness/gamma. The defaults for me have been fine, I haven't ran into any "too dark" issues since my monitor doesn't crush blacks AFAIK.

As it is, shotgun penetration doesn't seem as crazy at 100%/level 4 as I thought it'd be leveling it up. I guess there will be a difference from 100 to 600.25% at Perk 25, maybe.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
As it is, shotgun penetration doesn't seem as crazy at 100%/level 4 as I thought it'd be leveling it up. I guess there will be a difference from 100 to 600.25% at Perk 25, maybe.

100% shotgun penetration only really means it can go through one additional enemy unless you're using the double barreled shotty which has huge penetration. At 600% that shit should be insane.

Nordicus

Even 840M handles at least Medium at 60fps. It's flippin' Unreal 3, you're fine

Conezays

Anyone else having trouble launching the game now? I had zero issues yesterday. Hmm...

Edit: For anyone else with the same trouble, I verified the steam files and that seemed to make it launch now. Weird.

He's actually not that bad if you have a team that is somewhat competent.

Just need to constantly move, especially when he throws his bombs, heal whoever gets grabbed, and dump massive damage during grab phases.

Especially helps if medic throws a heal grenade whenever someone gets grabbed.
It's ill-advised to shoot him during the grab phases. When signalling the grab, if he's in the middle of running towards someone he has higher resists supposedly and it's pointless to open fire when he's draining someone as well. Better off letting loose right as he lets go.

Parrying is fun. Until you get murdered when you fuck up.
Scrake needs some further finetuning though for parrying. There's a couple of attacks that either start hitting you before the animation reaches out to you or (even worse) before the animation even begins. Fleshpounds on the other hand are more consistent as a whole. Devs have confirmed Scrakes are due for another pass with their hitboxes thankfully, so there's that.

This is correct. I like to run medic, but go for the AK, then double barrel. And I gain xp for three classes simultaneously. Sorry medic weapons are wack compared to the other classes (smg is okay though for the headshots). When I'm running comm/supp I always grab the medic pistol as well to heal while I can as well. Are there any gaf servers users are using in particular. I've added myself to the spreadsheet, but would like to run some harder difficulty levels with a gaf team.
Pistol is great, SMG has good enough accuracy, shotgun has oomph for clearing out lesser Zeds or something like a Siren in a pinch (since other classes will usually be taking care of the big guys) and the assault rifle packs a punch with heightened accuracy when crouching. When standing or moving around, the latter is a little unwieldy yeah.

More importantly though: the Medic's shotgun and assault allow for more healing darts than the other two perk weapons, which is invaluable on higher difficulties. Especially when the perk % bonuses kick in after some levelling. By default you have 3 and 4 darts respectively before cooldowns kick in, whereas the SMG and Pistol only possess 2.

Supposedly the health regeneration skills are very buggy right now and not work taking.
Even if they weren't buggy, they still wouldn't be worth taking. Any half-decent Medic entirely negates that perk option, and every team should have a Medic with how they're essentially the backbone of a team on higher difficulties.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Even if they weren't buggy, they still wouldn't be worth taking. Any half-decent Medic entirely negates that perk option, and every team should have a Medic with how they're essentially the backbone of a team on higher difficulties.

Very true, but it makes you wonder why even have them in the game? They're not particularly interesting, they aren't even good for solo play because the heal is like 1hp per 3 seconds.

Also is the heal dart on the medic shotgun more potent than the pistol's or is it just me?

I really like how easy it is to hit players with the heal dart while not aiming down sights too, honestly medic is such a joy to play now while in KF1 it felt like it was a bit of a chore.

I really like how easy it is to hit players with the heal dart while not aiming down sights too, honestly medic is such a joy to play now while in KF1 it felt like it was a bit of a chore.
This is the first thing I noticed when I picked medic and it's a much appreciated change, especially considering how frantic things get in the later waves.

Head's up about a random bug that I encountered: as a Medic, I can't heal myself with the personal syringe (which every perk carries) anymore after I level up if I'm already past the 100 health mark. There's a benefit at level 5 that grants you an additional 20% HP (for reference) and I'm guessing that's the cause of it. Nothing too detrimental, but it's annoying when you're trying to heal yourself up for armor via fall damage.

Night vision sounds great for me. When things get hectic in a dark room, I have no idea what's going on, even with my gamma maxed out.

I take it back. Having used it, it's pretty underwhelming.

I'm trying to get a feel for the Eviscerator but it's just such a bizarre weapon. The fact that it can't block makes me hate it, otherwise, it'd be an all right all in one solution.

You didn't need that arm anyway
killing_floor_2_dismemberment_by_digi_matrix-d8qnvsm.gif

Fly, cysts, fly!
killing_floor_2_shotgun_fly_by_digi_matrix-d8qnxdi.gif

I'm trying to get a feel for the Eviscerator but it's just such a bizarre weapon. The fact that it can't block makes me hate it, otherwise, it'd be an all right all in one solution.
Eviscerator's pretty meh, outside of circling the Doctor with it. Berserkers are better off sticking to the Pulverizer really, given how relatively easily they can deal with Scrakes and Fleshpounds with it.

Nny7229

Glad to see killing floor here. Loving the new game minus the few issues. We need more servers.

What's this about a spreadsheet?

Kinsei

Banned
Glad to see killing floor here. Loving the new game minus the few issues. We need more servers.

What's this about a spreadsheet?

Quote the first post and near the bottom of the quote you;ll see a link to a spreadsheet that has a bunch of our steam ID's.

Eh... if the maps are too dark, raise your brightness/gamma. The defaults for me have been fine, I haven't ran into any "too dark" issues since my monitor doesn't crush blacks AFAIK.

I mean, I'm on a calibrated IPS monitor, so I don't think it's my black levels. Pretty sure they designed the game so that it would be pitch black in some areas after some time, since lights can be destroyed. I frequently use my flashlight in later rounds.

I'm curious if the perks are bugged or just underpowered. I'm only level 2 at this point, though, but I have been sticking with shotties. sogood.

Ferrio

Banned

Wait... how do you block?

NIN90

I wish there was a kick vote option yet so we can kick players who use the DJ Skully skin. Such obnoxious VO.

Wait... how do you block?

Hit Alt fire with melee weapons. If you time it just right you get a parry, negating most damage and stunning the zed.

It says that Tripwire will ban you for racism, sexism, etc. People are pissed.

I wonder how many of these people feel their rights are being 'infringed upon' and how many of them are just racist bigots.

It is a commercial product. People surely understand how private enterprise can enforce moralising rules like this, correct?

It's a mixture of confusion over how licensing works and people making SJW accusations. It's a fairly standard EULA, but it is casually worded and Tripwire wanted to be very transparent about what it states.

Commandos have always fallen to the wayside in the later waves in KF1. They just don't do anything well enough compared to the other classes.

There's something to be said for being good in the early game. I typically played Commando in the early waves until I picked up a cheap SCAR. Then switched to sharpshooter for the SCAR crossbow combo.

Granted I never ended up playing seriously on 'Hell' difficulty

Eviscerator's pretty meh, outside of circling the Doctor with it. Berserkers are better off sticking to the Pulverizer really, given how relatively easily they can deal with Scrakes and Fleshpounds with it.

Yeah, this is my thinking as well. The Pulverizer has far more utility, is more ammo efficient, isn't ammo dependent and costs less.

Top Bottom