• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl |OT|

Grinchy

Banned
I'm liking this game more and more as I play it. The fucking sound is so awesome. Running around in a field and hearing the insects doing insect things really pulls you into the game. I'm a bit of a quest whore too, so going back and finishing quests is satisfying to me.

Although it can feel a bit clunky at times, something keeps bringing me back for more.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Playing as a homicidal jerk is very satisfying. If anyone drops their guard around me, I'll put a bullet through their head and steal their shit. I'm early on by my inventory is already loaded thanks to my hapless victims.

good game

Nalsh

I've had this game for a while but haven't gotten around to playing it. I plan on running it with Stalker Complete 2009. Any tips?

zkylon

zkylewd
Nalsh said:
I've had this game for a while but haven't gotten around to playing it. I plan on running it with Stalker Complete 2009. Any tips?
Don't play it like CoD. Most enemies at first will easily one shot you, but they can't be defeated with some well applied tactics and decent equipment. Always remember to take bandages and food with you and save your ammo. Scavenge dead bodies for some real guns and you'll step by step get there.

And if the sky turns red...RUN!

Tambini

zkylon said:
Don't play it like CoD. Most enemies at first will easily one shot you, but they can't be defeated with some well applied tactics and decent equipment. Always remember to take bandages and food with you and save your ammo. Scavenge dead bodies for some real guns and you'll step by step get there.

ooh I haven't started playing it yet but that sounds awesome!

zkylon

zkylewd
Oh, by the way, i played the game twice using the Oblivion Lost mod, which added a ton of stuff like vehicles, cut monsters, blowouts, other Stalkers scavenge dead bodies too (my favorite addition), etc. I don't know if STALKER Complete has all of that, but if it doesn't, i'd recommend installing both mods.

Here's a link, don't know if it's the latest version: http://stalker.filefront.com/file/Oblivion_Lost;89584

Nalsh

zkylon said:

Played some last night. Really cool so far. The first time I got shot made the game for me. I ran around a corner and was almost killed in one shot. It definitely makes you consider your actions more carefully and elevates the power of the atmosphere tremendously.

Sorry to bump the topic, but I finally got around to starting this game a few weeks ago. Dang, it is amazing. I'm playing it with the complete mod, so I don't know how much of it is that (since I never played vanilla), but this game is soooo good. I've played 12 hours and feel like I've barely scratched the surface, and yet I'm compelled to keep playing. So much atmosphere. It's like, the game I wished Fallout: New Vegas was while I was playing it. Feels more compelling to me for some reason.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
Sorry to bump the topic, but I finally got around to starting this game a few weeks ago. Dang, it is amazing. I'm playing it with the complete mod, so I don't know how much of it is that (since I never played vanilla), but this game is soooo good. I've played 12 hours and feel like I've barely scratched the surface, and yet I'm compelled to keep playing. So much atmosphere. It's like, the game I wished Fallout: New Vegas was while I was playing it. Feels more compelling to me for some reason.

I'm thinking about jumping in and finally playing this but I was wondering : where is the latest version of the stalker complete mod? Some places call it 2009 others 2012 I have no idea where I can get the actual latest build of the complete mod.

Thanks in advance

Oreoleo

I'm thinking about jumping in and finally playing this but I was wondering : where is the latest version of the stalker complete mod? Some places call it 2009 others 2012 I have no idea where I can get the actual latest build of the complete mod.

Thanks in advance

Near as I can tell, the newest version is 1.4.4, found both at ModDB and artistpavel.com even though ModDB calls it 2012 and the modder's website retains the 2009 name.

thanks for the quick reply :)!

That's the version I'm using, and it's SO WORTH IT. The game is so beautiful with it.

Also: this game can be really scary. Agropom and X18 were both decidedly creepy.

Played about 15 hours so far. Really taking my time, exploring, and doing a bunch of side quests.

This game is amazing. Atmosphere through the roof.

Gathering around a fire late at night with a group of Stalkers after accomplishing a difficult mission with them. Listening to them tell jokes in Russian, wondering what they're saying. One of them pulls out a guitar, and starts to play a haunting melody. Wondering what the Stalker standing with his back to the fire is thinking of.

Then I wander outside and watch the stars. Listening to the far off sounds, screams, inhuman noises. I don't like to travel at night in STALKER. I specifically avoid it. It's too frightening. That's why I stick around the fire with a group of friends, and eventually pull out my sleeping bag and fall asleep until morning.

Zarovitch

I have start it yesterday with the complete mod.
So far the game look good. The difficulty seem brutal, i have change it to STALKER difficulty and that seem less tough but not easy. I'll wait before make it more difficult.

I like the day and night cycle. It's fun that creatures / animals sometime run away when you shoot. But i need to watch my back then :)

My girlfriends think it's a nice touch when she see a guitar player at the campfire, i think too. The game feel alive in these dead zone. AI seem good too, it feel they want to stay alive.

I'm not a FPS player, but this one have a sense of survival that click with me.

54-46!

Looking at Day Z, I would love to have a permadeath mod for STALKER with server sided character saves and a bunch of stats from different players on top.

Crub

Is there any way to cap the framerate in this game? Neither v-sync nor the 60 hz option works (could possibly have to do with me having installed the Complete mod).

Would like to play the game without my computer sounding like a bulldozer

jono51

Banned
When I play this game the first time, should I use the salker complete patch?

Yeah, definitely.

Looking at Day Z, I would love to have a permadeath mod for STALKER with server sided character saves and a bunch of stats from different players on top.

Funnily enough, I had a go at a permadeath run on Master recently. Wasn't very successful. Early on, I walked into a heavy rad zone for a stash in Cordon completely forgetting I had no anti-rad meds and little vodka at this point to control the rad level. Had a mad dash back to Sidorovich and *barely* survived. Then, I pushed onwards to garbage to the fight against the bandits w/ Bess & co. Geared up from the crates that have 600rnds of mp5 ammo and started the mission. It all started well, and then I got reckless and started to push forward with a handful of bandits left and one flanked me from behind a truck with a sawn-off. RIP Marked One.

Sarcasm

What patches do I need? And what mods? I tried to download a complete mod but when I got to the page to download it kept saying not found.

Also is there complete for the other two games?

I just beat the game - fully. I got the "true" ending, and it was a lot harder than I anticipated. I never knew
about the secret lab in the Sarcophagus. The whole teleporting around part after that was really weird.
In the end though, the combat makes the game. Its so unforgiving, which totally fits with the atmosphere they made.

To any new player: Don't try to comprehend the story, just do the quests and find cool shit.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
What patches do I need? And what mods? I tried to download a complete mod but when I got to the page to download it kept saying not found.

Also is there complete for the other two games?

try searching for Complete on other sites. If you can't find it, PM me, we'll find the way.

Thrakier

How am I supposed to play the game? Stealh or what? It seems always like I'm outnumbered by a huge margin and I'm playing it wrong and then I quicksave/quickload through an area.

Game is somewhat weird, I don't know. It seems like there is tons of potential but for some reason I'm not feeling it.

How am I supposed to play the game? Stealh or what? It seems always like I'm outnumbered by a huge margin and I'm playing it wrong and then I quicksave/quickload through an area.

Game is somewhat weird, I don't know. It seems like there is tons of potential but for some reason I'm not feeling it.
Stealth is an option, but the best way is to find cover, peek out and take some shots, flank people when they're in a firefight, and generally try to outsmart the AI.

JoeMartin

Oh I play it stealth through and through.

Once you get a Vintorez (acquirable relatively early if you know where to look) you can pretty much guerrilla your way through the rest of the game.

Thrakier

Well, the game is one of the buggiest I've ever played. The KI is fucking up so much it's not even funny (they are not smart to begin with), even after the "complete patch". There are so many issues which destroy the immersion for me. :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Is there a reason why vanilla/no-mod Stalker on Ultra with all the wizz-bang settings would stutter on a new-ish/this year PC around the "fire" barrels if you're looking at them but everything else is smooth? Would it be a "shadow on widescreen/16:9" issue that is a bug with the fire or something? The shadows to my knowledge are fine but the fires-in-barrels are the one area that the game stutters and drops frames in. It goes from like 60FPS to like 15-24FPS which is really weird for a new-ish graphics card.

Playing this game and series for the first time... It's just incredible. Haven't been challenged like this in a long time and am loving every minute of it.

Wonderful in every way.

Glorious fckin thread bump. Just seeing the name makes me want to play it again.
You probably should. Don't you want to go sneaking around for artifacts while random gunfire echoes in the distance beneath swaying dead power lines?

It's truly glorious. I'm playing with the Zone Reclamation Project which fixes vanilla bugs... I'm positive the next game I'll play is STALKER again except using Complete for sure, can't wait to see what these night scenarios are like. Then maybe Oblivion Lost. Misery later? I'm unsure.

The core concept and characters inhabiting the Zone are amazing.

hello

im very frustrated because a mod i really want (autumn aurora 2.1) won't install

i get an error message during installation that says "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\data\gamedata\*" does not exist

im running windows 10 with an i7 5820, 16 gb ddr4 and a gtx1070

any ideas?

Oreoleo

hello

im very frustrated because a mod i really want (autumn aurora 2.1) won't install

i get an error message during installation that says "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl\data\gamedata\*" does not exist

im running windows 10 with an i7 5820, 16 gb ddr4 and a gtx1070

any ideas?

Create the folder manually and try installing again.

Create the folder manually and try installing again.

Can you make a folder called * ?
I got it :)

After further digging it looks like I had to extract all the files that I downloaded to one location and not just the setup itself

Anyway I am pretty blown away by this mod.. the game is 10 years old and with this mod it's like a modern AAA title except miles and miles better.. this game modded with AA2.1 is a true masterpiece

When I played fallout 4 and I had an itch for it to be something much more, this game is it

I ran into my first controller today and man.. these guys really get it. It was the most ominous surprise encounter I ever had. It was a good distance away in that tunnel and i fucking ran for my life.

I echo your sentiments, that first time is unforgettable and absolutely frightening.
What I love about stalkers monsters is that they're not shoved in your face. I like that there's a time and place for them because it gives them some mystery. You won't just see them anywhere, you'll see shit unexpectedly, it's legit creepy.

Top Bottom