• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Age of Wonders III |OT| Follow The Leader

alstein

Performance is only really bad if you're maxing out the game. Dropping a few options down like AA and SSAO really helps to get that back, although I'd understand if you're running an uber rig and not getting the performance you expected from maxing out the game.

I think it's possible GalCiv 3 beta last week spoiled me.

Hopefully Mantle evens the playing field next year. Stardock has always been great at making games run quickly. This also ruined Civ 5 some for me as well.

I think it's possible GalCiv 3 beta last week spoiled me.

Hopefully Mantle evens the playing field next year. Stardock has always been great at making games run quickly. This also ruined Civ 5 some for me as well.

Graphics are a little more lush than GalCiv 3, don't you think? A few stars and planets in a space background won't need lots of power!

alstein

Graphics are a little more lush than GalCiv 3, don't you think? A few stars and planets in a space background won't need lots of power!

Well, true, but Legendary Heroes runs a lot zippier as well. It's Stardock games in general. (AOW3 is a lot better looking graphicaly, but the custom units in LH do use up a lot of power- so much that Stardock is making an LH game without that feature for next year)

Parsnip

Hey guys.
Never played any of the Age of Wonders games, but I was looking at the screens and it got me somewhat interested.

It looks almost like some kind of crossbreed of Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic, is it actually anything like that?

elyetis

Hey guys.
Never played any of the Age of Wonders games, but I was looking at the screens and it got me somewhat interested.

It looks almost like some kind of crossbreed of Civilization and Heroes of Might and Magic, is it actually anything like that?
I would say it's far more like Heroes of Might and Magic ( but better <3 ) than it is like Civilization ( thought my last Civilization was call to power 1 ).

SparkTR

Hey guys.

I would say it's a good description of it. It's slower paced and more 4X focused than HoMM, but it's also focused more on war (both tactic and strategic) than Civ games.

Parsnip

I would say it's far more like Heroes of Might and Magic ( but better <3 ) than it is like Civilization ( thought my last Civilization was call to power 1 ).

I would say it's a good description of it. It's slower paced and more 4X focused than HoMM, but it's also focused more on war (both tactic and strategic) than Civ games.

This all sounds wonderful, thanks. Wishlisted for when I got some spare cash.

city tech tree

FxBysSQ.png

Noaloha

I think there's a mistake on that build-tree. In the game I played today I didn't need to advance down the Barracks line. I just needed Observatory, Hospital, Grand Temple and Master's Guild.

And this game is as dangerous as I feared. I started playing after breakfast, thinking I'd enjoy a couple of hours of AoW3 before getting on with real-world shit. After a little while I note that my tummy's rumbling, so I get up from my chair to make a light lunch and, instead of the 12:00noon-ish that I was expecting, the clock says it bloody 5:00pm.

A good(?!) sign.

I am also digging it so far. Played only a couple of hours last night and started with an Orc warlord. Smashing everything on my way at the moment with a stone and a frost giant I got from a neutral city as a quest reward.
There is something satisfying making the smaller units fly after an attack from one of the giants. I think they nailed it pretty well with the different sizes of the units. They do not only look big, but also feel that way.

I agree, I think they really nailed the presentation and combat aspect of the game not to mention the excellent art design (which all feels suitably weird, fantastical, and diverse). Visually representing units with an appropriate amount of soldiers goes a long way to making the battles feel appropriate in scale. From small skirmishes to large, epic battles - this game can do it all.

My highlight so far has been storming a city using a dragon against a long wall of spearmen and archers. It was great, watching the dragon stretch its wings menacingly against such a numerous foe, as if to intimidate them.
Don't worry, no one survived the dragon's onslaught.

From what I've played the game's interface and actual mechanics are great as well; I'm really glad they took some inspiration from Civ5 in that department. I haven't struggled with the interface or controls at all, save for figuring out how to change a unit's facing (hold rmb on the unit and drag to the hex you want them to face then release, who knew!). They even added a Civilopedia equivalent, though it sorely needs more links to related things in the game, Civ-style.

Great game!

Durante

And this game is as dangerous as I feared. I started playing after breakfast, thinking I'd enjoy a couple of hours of AoW3 before getting on with real-world shit. After a little while I note that my tummy's rumbling, so I get up from my chair to make a light lunch and, instead of the 12:00noon-ish that I was expecting, the clock says it bloody 5:00pm.

A good(?!) sign.
That sounds great, the true hallmark of a good TBS game. I can't wait to get into it after the current week from hell at work is over.

Ryan_

Quick question,

how is this for people who have no experience with TBS nor Age Of Wonders?

I wanna dive in but I'm not sure whether it's beginner friendly

I haven't struggled with the interface or controls at all, save for figuring out how to change a unit's facing (hold rmb on the unit and drag to the hex you want them to face then release, who knew!). They even added a Civilopedia equivalent, though it sorely needs more links to related things in the game, Civ-style.

Great game!

Thanks a lot for this, I had no idea you could even do that in the game. Some of the maneuvers are poorly explained in game.

On a related note, I really like the ability to customize not only the class and race of your Leaders independantly from each other (everyone can be anything they wish, it's like the 21st century brought into a fantasy game!) but their appearance rather extensively too. I spent quite some time crafting my High Elf Sorceress lol, kudos to the devs for the great number of options in that area.

Wish they took out that module and put it in its own section though, you have to "start" a scenario to even access it, and to save your customized Leader you have launch the scenario itself and tick the Save option, otherwise your changes will be for naught.

AJLma

Never even heard of it before, but I've been looking for a new strategy game. This game has been described as similar to Civilization, with tactical combat and RPG elements like XCOM. Purchased!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Still kinda coming to grips with the game (as, again, I've never played a game like this before) but I'm starting to find it really addictive. Had a couple times where I sat down to play for a short while, glanced at the clock, and realized a couple hours had passed. I'd say that's a good sign.

Bracket

Glad I picked up this game. Had no expectations and it's actually slightly addicting with hours passing by unnoticed. Anyways would anyone want to play some multiplayer be it co-op or versus?

Steam: Sundull
Triumph: Sun Dull

Chaos17

Tried to get into 2 game twice but failed even tough I played a lot Civ5 :(

how is this for people who have no experience with TBS nor Age Of Wonders?
Lack of tutorials but it's pretty much a mix of Heroes and Civ.

Dezzy

Tried to get into 2 game twice but failed even tough I played a lot Civ5 :(

Lack of tutorials but it's pretty much a mix of Heroes and Civ.

Did you start the first campaign, or jump right into a random map? It's better to play the campaign first. In reality, AoW really isn't quite as complex as Civ, but it might be hard to get into just because you might have habits from Civ that won't work in AoW.

Did you start the first campaign, or jump right into a random map? It's better to play the campaign first. In reality, AoW really isn't quite as complex as Civ, but it might be hard to get into just because you might have habits from Civ that won't work in AoW.

E.g. Stacks of Doom.

On another note, it took me a while to figure out that you can/are supposed to attack enemy strongholds with other allied stacks within the vicinity of the castle.

Was wondering how to take out a heavily fortified metropolis with just my one Leader since you're only limited to 6 units in a party lol.

ChaosDent

I'm a big fan of AoW2 and AoW2:SM. Is this worth picking up?

I say so (after only 4 hours of play in 2 days so far). AoW3 is a little like a new Civilization release compared to its predecessors. There are some substantial changes and the UI has massively improved but the essence of the game is the same. I actually like most of the changes like the new combat system and the leader's class dictating a lot more of your empire building direction.

I'm still getting used to race relations not being a big deal with morale, but with only 6 races having the hard Good/Evil/Neutral split must have been tough. I also feel like there is less stuff than Shadow Magic but I'm willing to accept that as an expansion vs base game divide.

Dennis

Banned
My hand is hovering over the BUY button but the lack of GAF interest has me worried.

The Goat Simulator thread has more posts in it for Gods sake.

TheChaos0

My hand is hovering over the BUY button but the lack of GAF interest has me worried.

If you like turned based strategy games, ala Heores of Might and Magic but with Civ influences then you should get it. The first two games were brilliant.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO

Not sure what sort of interest you're expecting to see from GAF for a PC exclusive strategy game.

altez

Neo Member
E.g. Stacks of Doom.

On another note, it took me a while to figure out that you can/are supposed to attack enemy strongholds with other allied stacks within the vicinity of the castle.

Was wondering how to take out a heavily fortified metropolis with just my one Leader since you're only limited to 6 units in a party lol.

Make a party of siege equipment, and you could make another party of extra units if you'd like. If you surround a castle with all of your parties touching the unit you'll be fighting all of the separate parties will enter combat with the unit.

By party I mean when your units move over the map just as your hero does, add a bunch of units into a single force/party and move them with your hero to lay siege on a castle/fortified post. They'll all fight together. And even when your separate parties that don't have your leader in them participate in combat with other forces your hero spells can still function in those fights.

So you could effectively have 12+ units fighting against their heavily fortified base.

Edit: It looks like you might already know this based on your post and I just didn't read it right, not sure.

Durante

That's because GAF still hasn't really got all that many posters interested in PC games.
(There are quite a few people now who play games on PC, but that doesn't necessarily imply being interested in traditional PC genres)

Parsnip

Speaking of traditional PC games, do you need keyboard to play this? I've been playing a bunch of non intensive mouse games on the couch lately (most puzzle games), and the couch is much more comfortable than my crappy desk chair. :p

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Speaking of traditional PC games, do you need keyboard to play this? I've been playing a bunch of non intensive mouse games on the couch lately (most puzzle games), and the couch is much more comfortable than my crappy desk chair. :p

It's a turn based game, you can easily go mouse only.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'm very interested in this, but I just don't have enough time to invest in it. I still lose too much time with EU IV and CK II. And maybe by the time I will find the time there will be also some better price somewhere.

I was going to start playing Age of Wonders 3 with a random map and custom-made leader, but - my goodness - the options! I had forgotten how wonderful a fully-featured game truly is.

If anyone is worried about the learning curve and lack of a dedicated tutorial in Age of Wonders 3, I recommend you try the Elven Court campaign - it seems to have been designed to ease newer players into the game. It begins very straightforward and easy, and has ramped up the difficulty, scale, and complexity of what's happening during every campaign level so far. Also, the campaign seems give the player control of a different race and class in each of its levels which should help new players familiarise themselves with what the game has to offer. Plus, there will be dragons!

SparkTR

There's a way more active thread over at the SomethingAwful forums if you want in-depth discussions (for just about any strategy game really). A developer of AoW posts there as well.

Durante

Just bought the game, saw this update regarding the first patch:

Hi everybody,

The dust is settling after launch; so it's time for an update! The team is very happy and humbled with the overall reception so far: reviews, sales, but most importantly we’re happy with overall fan reaction. But of course we can always do better. We’ve spent 39 months developing Age of Wonders III, and we're planning on supporting the game for a long period of time. We’ll release patches, free new features and dlc/expansion packs and we’re looking forward to implementing lots of feedback from the community. For the first update/patch, which will go live in the coming days we are looking at the following items:

Likely fixes:

* WQHD / QHD (up to 2560 x 1440 / 2560 *1600) native resolution display support (the Black & White boxes and blurry text should disappear)
* Frame Drops, particularly when having an army selected removed.
* AI Difficulty lowered for “Squire” – people dying a lot in the first Elven Court mission is not good.
* AI Global Spell Disjunction Spamming is limited
* AI Leaving their walls less quickly in combat
* Disabling of controller / joystick input to avoid camera drift
* Saving profile – e.g. graphics settings – fixed for the ‘Guest’ account.

New Features:
* Previous/Next Button for Cities (added to the city header)
* Quick Save Option.

This Auto-Steam update should drop in the next couple of days. This is just a start! We have many other updates and fixes in the works, including an option to disable observing multiplayer tactical combat between other players.
I'm happy we will see QHD resolution support ASAP!

Seems like a good first patch with solid changes and great additions (that I thought I just hadn't figured out yet).

Any word as to whether the GOG version will have patches released on the same day as Steam?

Also really hope the patches don't break save games.. that would be a bummer.

alstein

Seems like a good first patch with solid changes and great additions (that I thought I just hadn't figured out yet).

Any word as to whether the GOG version will have patches released on the same day as Steam?

Also really hope the patches don't break save games.. that would be a bummer.

If gameplay data isn't changed- it likely won't break save games. Usually in this genre they do.

As for patching- does GOG allow companies to put up patches independently?

Hupsel

Is the campaign any good? Is it similar to Heroes as you have multiple campaigns with different factions? Thanks :)

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
The random maps are much more open ended than the campaigns/scenarios. Game gonna have legs, yo.

Is the campaign any good? Is it similar to Heroes as you have multiple campaigns with different factions? Thanks :)

There are 2 campaigns with one serving as the tutorial. There are like 10 scenarios that ship with the game though and most all of them use different heroes/factions. I believe the scenarios can be played in co-op as well.

Durante

I just started playing, and one thing I can say is that the introduction to the starting campaign is more polished than I expected it to be. Maybe i just got used to the really low budget indie fantasy TBS games and am surprised because of that. Probably it's just because I like the voice actress.

The random maps are much more open ended than the campaigns/scenarios. Game gonna have legs, yo.
I'd hope so, I played Shadow Magic for 8 years or so :p

If gameplay data isn't changed- it likely won't break save games. Usually in this genre they do.

As for patching- does GOG allow companies to put up patches independently?

That makes sense; I had better wrap up my campaign up quick.

As far as GOG's patching, they must allow independant patching because Eador: Master of the Broken World has an integrated patching system built right into its launcher, similar to the Witcher 2.

Speaking of the Witcher 2, has anyone else noticed the reference to that game in AoW3? Alright, I'll tell ya:
One of the hero traits - a hero-slayer trait - is called Assassins of Kings.
Pretty nifty.

Durante

I just died in the second battle in the game. This is quite embarrassing.
Note: do not expose your leader to attacks from 4 units in one turn.

I'm learning to hate Dreadnoughts right now - their machines are immune or resistant to nearly everything I have. Q.Q

First elf campaign? Yep, leader got focused and murdered.

I think I let something similar happen to me in one of the first battles. Seems to be a common mistake...

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
The more I play this game, the more I like it. There's really nothing I don't like about it. And it's fucking addictive.

The thing that impresses me the most, though, is that it's clear that there's just a ton of depth to this game that I don't even know what to do with yet. So, I guess in that regard, the Elven campaign is a good way to get introduced to the mechanics.

Durante

I just had cause remembered the best thing about Age of Wonders: a surprise attack on one of your cities, the game announcing "Very Likely Defeat", taking the battle anyway and somehow holding it. So good.

So far, this seems like an extremely worthy new entry to the series. Never thought I'd see the day.

First elf campaign? Yep, leader got focused and murdered.
Yeah, that one.

Top Bottom