• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Going digital with the Switch

Its all a matter of preference. Physical will always go on sale(this isn't even counting 20% preorder savings from bb and amazon), and if you go all physical, you likely won't have to buy an SD card. You can also sell them to get some of your money back.

Digital is all about saving space, faster loading times, and making it more convenient to switch between games. You're also saving physical space. Currently there isn't a cloud option for game saves, but it could happen with the subscriptions. Keep in mind that Nintendo gives you more coins for digital purchases which can net you discounts for digital games and physical stuff in the future though. However, I you decide to sell your console with your digital games, you won't be able to get money for those games from retailers, so you'll have to sell via eBay.

So if you like to saving money, like collecting game box art(and gave the physical space for it at home) and selling games, physical is for you.

Digital if you don't mind paying retail, and you like the convenience of starting and switching games faster, and having it all at once, while not taking physical space outside the switch console.

I will do a combo of both. Physical for single player only games, and digital for multiplayer games with friends/online I will come back ti.

boiled goose

good with gravy
Your first point is incorrect, depending on how you define "proper". Everything else you said is basically true of all digital purchases for any system.

Also when has digital content on a console ever added value to sold hardware? And if that was the case wouldn't that basically go against your first point, since it would mean your purchases are not tied to your account? That's a strange concern to have.

Can I see all my digital games and dlc tied to my account on a steam like library? Can I manage hardware associated with account on an external app or browser?

When I buy digital on Google play or steam, I don't worry about adding value to hardware because I will have all my content when I update my hardware.

With Switch, it's associated with account but locked to hardware form factor. It's the worst of both options. No value added to hardware and you lose everything when you upgrade.

I'm not buying anything digital on Nintendo till this shit is fixed or at the very least they improve their communication so that we know what the hell you are actually buying.

Was burned hard on Wii. Never again.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can I see all my digital games and dlc tied to my account on a steam like library? Can I manage hardware associated with account on an external app or browser?

When I buy digital on Google play or steam, I don't worry about adding value to hardware because I will have all my content when I update my hardware.

With Switch, it's associated with account but locked to hardware form factor. It's the worst of both options. No value added to hardware and you lose everything when you upgrade.

I'm not buying anything digital on Nintendo till this shit is fixed or at the very least they improve their communication so that we know what the hell you are actually buying.

I really don't follow.

How am I going to lose my stuff when I upgrade my Switch?
Upgrade to what?

boiled goose

good with gravy
I really don't follow.

How am I going to lose my stuff when I upgrade my Switch?
Upgrade to what?

When I update my pc or phone, my digital games library comes with me (for compatible games).

Games for 3ds, wii, wiiu are locked to specific hardware form factors. There is no indication from Nintendo that Switch digital content isn't switch only.

If you invest in digital content on Switch, it's tied to that generation and is lost once you upgrade your hardware in a few yeard. That's different from Google play, steam, etc where digital content is tied only to online account profile.

I invested in vc on wii with the hope of building an ever growing library of Nintendo classics. Much like my growing steam collection. Boy was I burned when Wiiu came out.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
When I update my pc or phone, my digital games library comes with me (for compatible games).

Games for 3ds, wii, wiiu are locked to specific hardware form factors. There is no indication from Nintendo that Switch digital content isn't switch only.

If you invest in digital content on Switch, it's tied to that generation and is lost once you upgrade your hardware in a few yeard. That's different from Google play, steam, etc where digital content is tied only to online account profile.

I invested in vc on wii with the hope of building an ever growing library of Nintendo classics. Much like my growing steam collection. Boy was I burned when Wiiu came out.

Oh I see, pretty standard I suppose for consoles and handhelds. They're not really open platforms, so the software is written for the device, not the OS (phone, pc)

You still have a great VC collection on the Wii though, and it's the preferred way to play those games anyway since it can output 240p unlike anything else.

Type40

Wether I go physical or digital will go by a game by game basis. Games that I want all the time will be Digital: Mario kart, Animal Crossing, Tetris, maybe Splatoon and digital only titles. Physical will be big games that are single player in focus, Zelda, Mario, Metroid. Then theres Indie games getting a physical release for the first time, like Binding of Issac and Cave Story.

Then theres the nightmare of game collecting where I will double dip on titles to have them both physically and digitally.

There used to be a way you could do this through Nintendo's website but now I can't find it.

The rest of what you're saying is par for the course with consoles and handhelds. I don't think anybody expects Nintendo to be ahead of the curve when it comes to digital, though obviously it would be nice.

DirtyLarry

OP, I posted in the Buy Sell Thread that I wanted to get rid of my Mario Kart Physical as I wanted to go digital with it.
I also shared I had purchased it Amazon, so it only cost me $52 with tax, and I was willing to take a $10 hit to get rid of it.
I had someone reach out buy a friend of mine had taken it off my hands already.
So if you are willing to take a hit on it, you can sell it. I was offering a pretty enticing option at $42 shipped, so that may help, but I agree with you that digital is the way to go, at least for Mario Kart.

Fiendcode

But literally all Wii VC transferred to Wii U for free.

And yes, Switch digital is tied to your account. Sign in on a new system and you can redownload your games. You could do this on Wii U and 3DS too although it took a call to Nintendo for that.

Also I've bought plenty of iOS games over the years that I can't now play on my 10.3.2 SE. No walled gardens are forever.

molnizzle

You have no idea what you're talking about.

Switch digital works just like PS4 digital or Xbox One digital. It was tied to specific hardware on Wii U and 3DS, but with the Switch Nintendo has joined the modern era.

bigjig

I still don't see why this is a problem specific to digital on Nintendo consoles. It's not like you can play your Wii U discs on the Switch, what's the guarantee that Switch carts are going to play on whatever hardware Nintendo brings out next?

Debating on making the switch to digital before this GameStop 60% bonus ends... Only drawback I can think of is missing the Amazon discount on future games like Splatoon. What do you think GAF?

This is the same problem with Sony and Microsoft too you know.

When the PS5 comes out you won't have your digital PS4 library anymore

graywolf323

I’ll be going digital with my Switch for the convenience factor and it sounds like they moved away from it being tied to specific hardware so if I say upgraded to a Switch XL (or whatever they do as a second iteration of the hardware) I wouldn’t have to hold onto my Switch in order to not lose my games

unlike say how the only reason I still have my 3DS XL is so that when I buy the new 2DS XL at the end of this month I won’t have lost all my digital games :| (it’s ridiculous since I would have liked to trade it in towards the cost of the new system)

Little Mons†er;242735740 said:
This is the same problem with Sony and Microsoft too you know.

When the PS5 comes out you won't have your digital PS4 library anymore

Actually with the PS4’s move to the x86 architecture this can’t be said with any certainty

Top Bottom