• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Woman |OT| The World is Ready for You, Gal Gad [SPOILERS]

Ashhong

Yeah, the humor, while it helped make the tone a bit slighter and not so grimdark like BvS, wasn't all that funny. It gives you some good chuckles now and then but it's not MCU funny. The "I'm both scared and aroused" line got me and the rest of the theater the hardest, though.

Seems like they had to toe the line between funny, war, and romance in this one, which might have attributed to that. Is it Thor funny? Similar fish out the water story and all

- J - D -

The audience at my screening loved Steve and Etta the secretary. They got laughs, though a lot of the film's charm comes from Steve trying to explain the world of mankind to Diana. Pretty basic fish out of water humor, but the movie doesn't rely on it as much as Thor did.

What is the tone at the end of the movie right before the credits?

Hopeful, full of drive and purpose. There's a time skip to the modern day, post-BVS. Diana is writing an email to Bruce Wayne thanking him for finding Steve's belongings -- things that meant a lot to her. Scene cuts to her standing on a rooftop, in full WW attire. It is evening time, there's a warm glow of a sunset. She leaps into the air towards the city (Paris), presumably into action.

A lot of the fish out of water moments come from a place of, how to put it, backwards ass social norms Diana ends up challenging.

I thought the humor was surprisingly good. I'm used to some real groaners across Suicide Squad, GOTG2, Kong Skull Island, etc. Maybe it's more to do with where they place to humor as to not undercut emotional moments.

The review and community threads work fine for that. Obviously it would be different for smaller movies but big movie OTs are essentially worthless a week into it.

The problem is that those topics, for the most part, aren't treated like that. Just recently for example, hardly anyone posted impressions about GotG2 in either the MCU thread or the movie's review thread. Almost everyone just hopped into the spoiler OT and that was it.

At the very least, review threads should be labeled as a (spoiler-free) impression thread as well. Draws more attention to its full intention, if we're moving that way.

Yeah, the humor, while it helped make the tone a bit lighter and not so grimdark like BvS, wasn't all that funny. It gives you some good chuckles now and then but it's not MCU funny. The "I'm both scared and aroused" line got me and the rest of the theater the hardest, though.

A lot of the fish out of water moments come from a place of, how to put it, backwards ass social norms Diana ends up challenging.

I thought the humor was surprisingly good. I'm used to some real groaners across Suicide Squad, GOTG2, Kong Skull Island, etc. Maybe it's more to do with where they place to humor as to not undercut emotional moments.
I can get behind these sentiments. I appreciate that the levity was placed appropriately, but none of it ended up being particularly funny to me.

Thanos is in this.

Fuuuuuuuuckkkkk! Ruined :(

For those who don't want to be spoiled just simply avoid this thread until you have seen it. I will be out of here soon.

There is already an early impressions thread with plenty of discussion, an embargo thread with more discussion, and the DCEU thread in community which has ongoing discussions about all DCEU films. I'm sure there will be a review thread in a few days which will again have more spoiler tagged reviews. Non spoiler OTs usally die and the spoiler OT is the only one that sticks around for awhile.

Some members have already seen the film and they can openly discuss it here. Seems redundant to have another thread when there are several covering discussion outside of spoilers.

Listen to, Quick. He knows. I actually went with just a spoiler thread based on your threads that did the same. Seems like it makes more sense.

Just seems weird to do it differently than most other big movies, when there is usually an OT and spoiler thread.

giphy.gif
I need this in high res so badly.

I saw it tonight at the fan screening in Vancouver. Absolutely loved it, completely blew away any skepticism I had going into it.

It's an odd beast. Overall it's definitely my favorite DCEU film, but still a middle of the road comic book flick at best.

For the first 30 minutes or so, I thought this film was in deep trouble. But it finds its footing and is loads of fun after that until the last act, which is equal parts engaging and embracing the worst attributes of CGI superhero fighting.

I think the biggest problem with the film for me was the mythology (both in the first act and in the last). I found it all hokey as hell, and completely at odds with the WW1 backdrop. The latter was probably my favorite part, and the frontlines portion was the film at its best.

I saw it tonight at the fan screening in Vancouver. Absolutely loved it, completely blew away any skepticism I had going into it.
Hello, fellow Vancouver screener! :p

Timu

Yeah, the humor, while it helped make the tone a bit lighter and not so grimdark like BvS, wasn't all that funny. It gives you some good chuckles now and then but it's not MCU funny. The "I'm both scared and aroused" line got me and the rest of the theater the hardest, though.
I had a feeling this movie wasn't going to be all that funny, I could tell just by the trailers that it wasn't going to be that great. Oh well, at least it has action and other things to make it seem worth it(hopefully).

Ashhong

I had a feeling this movie wasn't going to be all that funny, I could tell just by the trailers that it wasn't going to be that great. Oh well, at least it has action and other things to make it seem worth it(hopefully).

I mean, there are plenty of impressions from people saying the humor is great?

I would like my contribution to the OT to be "The mythology is hokey as hell and Ares is nothing but trash (figuratively and, sometimes, literally!)."

I enjoyed the humor in the movie, for the most part. There's a few instances that are laugh-out-loud funny; the already mentioned scared and aroused line, "I'd say I'm... above average", and a few other lines. Some of the fish-out-of-water stuff with Diana did feel a little too cutesy for me, though.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Watch the trailers and whatever you think of the jokes in there is what you will think of the final film. I really only thought that one joke I said there was really funny and some others got a chuckle out of me but my theater also didn't laugh a lot. Most jokes got some chuckles here and there but most fell pretty flat.

The jokes and bits they do definitely just help the tone feel a lot lighter and more fun, though, so they succeeded there. Also, I will say this about the humor in the movie, it's never "cringey" like some of the stuff in Suicide Squad, you might not laugh but it will not piss you off.

Cuburt

How does it compare to The First Avenger?

Seems like there would be some similarities in tone and blending of various elements that might normally seem out of place.

Timu

I mean, there are plenty of impressions from people saying the humor is great?
Yeah, I read about that. Personally I would be surprised if I laugh quite a bit.=p

I enjoyed the humor in the movie, for the most part. There's a few instances that are laugh-out-loud funny; the already mentioned scared and aroused line, "I'd say I'm... above average", and a few other lines. Some of the fish-out-of-water stuff with Diana did feel a little too cutesy for me, though.
Ok, that's not so bad actually, more than I expected.

Watch the trailers and whatever you think of the jokes in there is what you will think of the final film. I really only thought that one joke I said there was really funny and some others got a chuckle out of me but my theater also didn't laugh a lot. Most jokes got some chuckles here and there but most fell pretty flat.

The jokes and bits they do definitely just help the tone feel a lot lighter and more fun, though, so they succeeded there. Also, I will say this about the humor in the movie, it's never "cringey" like some of the stuff in Suicide Squad, you might not laugh but it will piss you off.
Oh man, Suicide Squad can be really bad with that so that's a relief. However, despite how the humor is, everything else seems fine so I can't wait to see it.

What MCU movie are we comparing the humour in this film to? Cause Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 was an absolute stinker in the comedy department, so many bad jokes, bad comedy timing, and little laughs.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
What MCU movie are we comparing the humour in this film to? Cause Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol 2 was an absolute stinker in the comedy department, so many bad jokes, bad comedy timing, and little laughs.

I'm pretty sure you know you're in the minority there.

Ashhong

Slo-motion fight scenes, I would assume.

Patty had this reasoning for the slowmo, said the movie is through WW pov so things seem slower to her and she wanted that for the fights. I guess it could just be BS and she just wanted cool looking slomo.

- J - D -

Funny thing is that this movie illustrates how MoS and BvS could have benefited from slow motion. Used right it adds real impact to some sequences. Granted, it's used maybe a bit too liberally here.

- J - D -

I was thinking that the scenes with the amputee soldiers and townspeople being poison gassed to death could've used more vibrant colors.

I think MoS is the best DCU movie. Enjoyed the Extended cut of BvS but hate Suicide Squad.

Glad this movie is getting a positive reception. I might just check it out in theatres.

How were the amazons? How was Hippolyta, Antiope, Menalipple, Euboea, Phillipus, Artemis, Senator Acantha, etc. Did the film even reference any of the amazons outside the first three by name?

Seems like there would be some similarities in tone and blending of various elements that might normally seem out of place.
There are two things that really reminded me of Captain America 1:

1. As The Outsider pointed out earlier, Chris Pine's sacrifice is very reminiscent of Steve Rodgers, ie, preventing a plane from delivering a WMD payload.

2. The team put together (the same one we see in the photo from BvS) reminded me a lot of the Howling Commandos. Not even in that they fit the same roles, because they kind of don't, but it's a team of misfits put together during a World War.

How were the amazons? How was Hippolyta, Antiope, Menalipple, Euboea, Phillipus, Artemis, Senator Acantha, etc. Did the film even reference any of the amazons outside the first three by name?
I thought they were a total bore, lol. They're cool to watch during combat, but other than that, we don't really see a reason why these characters or their society is supposed to be so great.

Robin Wright gets to the closest to leaving an impact, but (I'll spoiler tag just in case this is a more in depth answer about her than you want)
she dies in the first 20 minutes, and that death isn't mentioned ever again nor does it have any impact on the rest of the film, despite in the moment being sold as a huge emotional shock for Diana.

Cuburt

There are two things that really reminded me of Captain America 1:

1. As The Outsider pointed out earlier, Chris Pine's sacrifice is very reminiscent of Steve Rodgers, ie, preventing a plane from delivering a WMD payload.

2. The team put together (the same one we see in the photo from BvS) reminded me a lot of the Howling Commandos. Not even in that they fit the same roles, because they kind of don't, but it's a team of misfits put together during a World War.

I thought they were a total bore, lol. They're cool to watch during combat, but other than that, we don't really see a reason why these characters or their society is supposed to be so great.

Robin Wright gets to the closest to leaving an impact, but (I'll spoiler tag just in case this is a more in depth answer about her than you want)
she dies in the first 20 minutes, and that death isn't mentioned ever again nor does it have any impact on the rest of the film, despite in the moment being sold as a huge emotional shock for Diana.
Huh. Interesting. Not really what I expected to hear, but also not a bad thing necessarily.

Is any of the character stuff done well? Or is it more regulated to emotional story beats?

If I had to guess, the writers would have LOVED to stay in Themiscyra longer and flesh out the Amazons a bit more but the story is Diana's and her adventure so they didn't want to ruin the pacing.

Huh. Interesting. Not really what I expected to hear, but also not a bad thing necessarily.

Is any of the character stuff done well? Or is it more regulated to emotional story beats?
I think Gal Gadot and Chris Pine are both really charismatic and have great chemistry together. The writing mostly does not let them down, but when they're together they elevate it and make the emotional beats really work.

By the way, I think that I'm going to come off more negative on this film than I actually am because the majority of questions and discussion will end up being about the beginning and end acts of the film. If I was to break the movie down and grade it individually, I would go with

First 30 minutes: D+
Next 60 minutes: B+
Final 30 minutes: C

It's the middle section where I think the film approaches greatness. In particular, the frontlines/"No Man's Land" portion is just phenomenal. It is exactly what you'd want from a Wonder Woman film: inspiring, uplifting, and the action is pretty kick-ass. The last act could have been great if they cut the Ares character and took things in a natural direction.

ReiGun

I think the best way to describe the usage of the Amazons and Paradise Island would be to compare it to the usage of Smallville in the original Superman. You're not there long, but that's because its primarily a framing device. We see where Diana comes from, how her personality and core belief system is formed (in a "of course someone like this comes from a place like this" way), and we get just enough of the Amazons that you want more of them. The one thing it does over Supes 1 is that it also sets up a major plot beat.

As for the third act, I wouldn't say the whole thing falls flat. Maybe 10-15 minutes. It's mostly down to pacing issues and not quite reaching the heights of the second act.

Compared to Cap: I'd give it to Wonder Woman over TFA. I always felt the latter kind of drops after the POW rescue. Wonder Woman is more consistent throughout.

I said this about their characters in the community thread
Another thing I want to say about the movie is that Wonder Woman in this is the most purely heroic character we've seen since Chris Evans Captain America. And I know I've made that comparison already, but it bears repeating. Diana is truly selfless, compassionate, loving, and driven purely by her desire to help others.

This is that classic Chris Reeves superheroism, fam. I love it.

Isn't Darkseid the DC version of Thanos? So technically, he's kind of in Justice League?

Is Darkseid stronger than Thanos? They look alike.

As for the third act, I wouldn't say the whole thing falls flat. Maybe 10-15 minutes. It's mostly down to pacing issues and not quite reaching the heights of the second act.

Compared to Cap: I'd give it to Wonder Woman over TFA. I always felt the latter kind of drops after the POW rescue. Wonder Woman is more consistent throughout.

I said this about their characters in the community thread

Agree with this though I guess my issue more boils down to "Yep it's a superhero movie third act" but that second act is indeed a hard act to follow.

Ahasverus

As it should be, nobody wants the DCEU to become a comedy series.
I was thinking that the scenes with the amputee soldiers and townspeople being poison gassed to death could've used more vibrant colors.
Nothing screams colorful as amputees soldiers being tortured!

jph139

This is what I want to know.

Like, TFA is still my favorite MCU movie by a wide margin. It has this goofy, earnest, self-aware charm running through it. Even when it falters in plot and pacing, it just feels genuine.

I like hearing that Wonder Woman, as a character, has that same feel. Just a decent person, shining clean in a shitty world. My favorite superhero leads (Reeves Superman, Maguire Spider-Man) have that same trait of homespun compassion. I'm not confident that Gadot can pull it off, but if people are saying she's pulled it off I'm willing to give it a shot.

Top Bottom