• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The official WipEout HD thrEad of unEcessary captilization

DrPirate

Banned
Reviews (especially for this game) shouldn't mean anything to anyone.

It's Wipeout PSP. If you loved them, just taking a wild shot in the dark here: You MIGHT like this game a little bit. Right?

Honestly, this game was built for the fans, and for the price, it will attract some fans to the franchise who have never played the game.

Either way, it's just one man's opinion on the game, and you can't win them all. But this game won me over from the day it was announced and to me, that's what matters.

jax (old)

Banned
just read the review. WTF? Why the comparison to wipeout PSP ... for the upgrade + hd + pricepoint, it should have score higher. It seems like the game is great. EXCEPT for the PSP game. Well, I don't want to play the PSP game. I played wipeout on PSP (only the 1st) but while it translated well to a degree, it wasn't wipeout on a tv.

at 7.5... its a bit better than this? ...

http://au.gamespot.com/ps3/driving/fatalinertia/index.html?tag=result;title;1 @ 6.5

That game is GARBAGE. I haven't played wipeout HD admittedly, but Fatal Inertia is ugly, stupid, bad, just bad. Wipeout I'm sure will have spot on controls + challenge.

Improvements over the original release of this sci-fi racer don't make up for its floaty controls and poor item balance.

at least eurogamer and http://www.videogamer.com/ps3/wipeout_hd/review.html both gives it a 9/10

yurinka said:
I think the problem isn't with DL games. I think it's with PSN exclusives, or with Sony PS3/PSN games. Gamespot scores :

Braid (9.5), Geometry Wars 2 (9), Castle Crashers (8.5), Rez HD (8.5), Super Stardust HD (7), Warhawk (8.5), Gran Turismo Prologue (7.5), Echochrome (8), Pixeljunk Eden (7), Pixeljunk Monsters (7.5), Pixeljunk Monsters (7), Flow (7.1)

See also SCE retail PS3 games: Heavenly Sword (8), Uncharted (8), Motorstorm (7.9)
They gave Ratchet & Clank a 7.5 too. =|

Why are you still letting yourselves get wound up by GameSpot review scores? Reviews are bought and paid for. Anyone reputable has long flown the coop. Custodians are rotated in and out under different pseudonyms to regurgitate marketing spiel and assign random scores.

Stop giving them your hits and perhaps someday in the distant future there will be some impetus to reclaim the site's past reputation so their advertisers will stand a chance of earning revenue.

ChryZ

5 days on the run, looking for a place to have some fun, night and day without you sweet embrace, I'm going crazy. *sings*

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Why are you still letting yourselves get wound up by GameSpot review scores? Reviews are bought and paid for. Anyone reputable has long flown the coop. Custodians are rotated in and out under different pseudonyms to regurgitate marketing spiel and assign random scores.

Stop giving them your hits and perhaps someday in the distant future there will be some impetus to reclaim the site's past reputation so their advertisers will stand a chance of earning revenue.

listen to this man.

klee123

yurinka said:
I think the problem isn't with DL games. I think it's with PSN exclusives, or with Sony PS3/PSN games. Gamespot scores :

Braid (9.5), Geometry Wars 2 (9), Castle Crashers (8.5), Rez HD (8.5), Super Stardust HD (7), Warhawk (8.5), Gran Turismo Prologue (7.5), Echochrome (8), Pixeljunk Eden (7), Pixeljunk Monsters (7.5), Pixeljunk Monsters (7), Flow (7.1)

See also SCE retail PS3 games: Heavenly Sword (8), Uncharted (8), Motorstorm (7.9)

Jesus christ.

yurinka

TTP said:
A solid 9 out of 10.

Oh, and I unlocked this beauty here :D

j0l176.jpg

8wzhvk.jpg

O_O wow! Thursdayton : Wipeout HD and Mega Man 9! Yeah!

Now I believe in Gamespot reviews.:lol

makingmusic476 said:
They gave Ratchet & Clank a 7.5 too. =|
LOL! Let me add some other PS3 exclusive scores:

Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction (7.5), Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty (7.5), Siren Blood Curse (7.0), Folklore (7.0), Lair (4.5), Resistance (8.5), Ridge Racer 7 (8), Genji 2 (6.4)

Teknoman

yurinka said:
O_O wow! Thursdayton : Wipeout HD and Mega Man 9! Yeah!

Now I believe in Gamespot reviews.:lol

LOL! Let me add some other PS3 exclusive scores:

Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction (7.5), Ratchet & Clank Quest for Booty (7.5), Siren Blood Curse (7.0), Folklore (7.0), Lair (4.5), Resistance (8.5), Ridge Racer 7 (8), Genji 2 (6.4)

Some of those deserved those scores though.

Teknoman said:
Some of those deserved those scores though.

lair, genji and rr, but they were in line with scores from other sites.... there is no way in my mind that uncharted deserves an 8 though...and Ive played quite alot of the good games this gen across most systems barring the wii

Crayon

I think the Heavenly Sword, Uncharted, Motorstorm, Echochrome, RR7 and some other reviews are fair. I'll give them the Resistance too since they had no way of knowing the online support would be so robust.

The WipeoutHD, Stardust, Ratchet and some other scores are pretty low. I'd call it inconsitancy if there wasn't a consistant pattern to the scores: Games that got loaded up on the hype train get review scores on the high side of what the review text would suggest. Games that don't get that kind of "backing" can settle with less eye-catching scores. It's all a function of how tightly we (the neogafs and friends) fit in and feedback so tightly with review sites, aggregators and virals.

Agent X

Wollan said:
Also, 7.5 upper barrier for DL games on PS3/Wii confirmed.

Fixed. As others have noted, Xbox 360 seems to be immune from this tendency for some reason.

Even the complaint about content being reused from previous games doesn't hold water. They had no problem lavishing high scores on the XBLA versions of Rez, Ikaruga, Puzzle Quest, or Alien Hominid.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Agent X said:
Fixed. As others have noted, Xbox 360 seems to be immune from this tendency for some reason.

Even the complaint about content being reused from previous games doesn't hold water. They had no problem lavishing high scores on the XBLA versions of Rez, Ikaruga, Puzzle Quest, or Alien Hominid.

WHich means just add 2.5 to any score for PSN/Wii and 1-2 for retail games and you get a true score.

Roxas

Pissed off because some people are going to read Gamespot's shitty review and will end up not buying the game. Fucking eejit's gamespot are. Their agenda is so clear.

Roxas said:
Pissed off because some people are going to read Gamespot's shitty review and will end up not buying the game. Fucking eejit's gamespot are. Their agenda is so clear.

If I were them I would just rate "PSN" as 7.5 so all games that come out will just have a 7.5 added to it.

EktorPR

Who reads Gamespot, anyways? What most people will be looking forward to know are IGN and GameTrailer's scores.

Great Sol II pics, TTP. :D :D

FightyF

Banned
andydumi said:
WHich means just add 2.5 to any score for PSN/Wii and 1-2 for retail games and you get a true score.

Not for Heavenly Sword you don't!

Yeah, those review scores are WHACK, but are there different reviewers? Initially sites like GS would give XBLA games low scores to begin with, and then all of a sudden they got more reasonable. Maybe it was a case of having some jaded reviewer, and now he's doing PSN games?

Anyways, to get back on topic here...though the online features are somewhat disappointing, I realized (and posted in another thread), that Home should fix that issue. Ie. make a party of people in Home, and race in a Wipeout race. Didn't see that mentioned here so I thought I would. Basically, WO doesn't need a party system, because Home should provide it. I say "should" because Home seems to be have features cut...at least for the time being. I think that feature should be a priority, as it enhances the gaming experience for every PS3 game.

Gspt review said:
This isn't a game that features accurate physics, track deformation, or even weather effects, so all of the console's horsepower is focused on producing super-crisp visuals that move at a blistering speed.

2vv8aw1.jpg

Lol, the review has all of the good points written into but without a single opinion, just listing, then when there's a negative he describes it.

Trevelyan

Banned
Holy shit those pics are amazing. The pic of Sol 2 with the mountains in the background is jaw-dropping. My God these last 4 days can't go by fast enough.

ampere

I know what I'm doing during my Fall brEak from school :D

I'm curious though, If I use my CC to buy this on the Playstation store, can I delete my CC info right after? It's not like M$ right T_T;

ciaossu said:

I'm curious though, If I use my CC to buy this on the Playstation store, can I delete my CC info right after? It's not like M$ right T_T;
Pretty sure that's possible, yes.

ciaossu said:

yes.

Account Management, Billing information. and then click the Clear link to erase your billing information off of there.

ampere

DMPrince said:
yes.

Account Management, Billing information. and then click the Clear link to erase your billing information off of there.
Sweet. That's my favorite thing about the PS3. I feel like I'm in control. If I want to put mp3s on the HDD using an SD card then by the gods I shall. :lol

DAY 1
I bought a PS3 for this game, I can't wait.

Is there anything I need to know about setting up the PSN or anything? Never dealt with PS3 at all.

BeeDog

zackattack said:
DAY 1
I bought a PS3 for this game, I can't wait.

Is there anything I need to know about setting up the PSN or anything? Never dealt with PS3 at all.

Not really, it's pretty self-explanatory (it's in the Account Management part of the PS3). Just ready your credit card, or if your region allows you, grab some PSN cards to stock up the credits needed for this game.

DrPirate

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
I love it how Gamespot says it doesn't have accurate physics. Really... how would they know? :lol

Hey man, game reviewers have everything. I remember a certain Lair review that said their dragons shot fire in a manner that is unrealistic, as opposed to you know.....Real dragons.

On-Topic: 5 More days! Time to kick off the fall season lineup of games :D

Top Bottom