• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild |OT3| Your Free Time is Badly Damaged

goldenpp72

Quick question, I'm considering restarting in Master mode but, I was curious about a few things. Does anything carry over at all? As well, one incentive I had was to do a 900 korok seed run, does anyone know how the mask is obtained?

keakster

Quick question, I'm considering restarting in Master mode but, I was curious about a few things. Does anything carry over at all? As well, one incentive I had was to do a 900 korok seed run, does anyone know how the mask is obtained?

Those questions haven't been answered yet. Most are speculating that Master mode will be a completely separate option (like it is in Ocarina 3D). All that Nintendo has said about the mask is that it is found in a chest in the game world I believe.

ReyVGM

I just finished BotW after months of playing. I was kind of hoping the ending complaints were just people being picky, but man, it really is underwhelming this day in age.

I mean, it's fine I guess. It's as short as the Ocarina of Time ending, which wasn't that great either. But, well, it's not 1998 anymore, would it have killed them to show more? Like people rebuilding Castle Town or something. And don't get me started on the credits music. It started with a style similar to the credits music from A Link to the Past, and then it just started playing the town themes... ... ... ... ... -_-

It's still the best Zelda game for me, even if there are things I don't like or would like to be different.

For the next game I really hope for:
-Themed/traditional dungeons. I don't mean get map/compass/big key and an item that only works inside. I mean, a forest/lava/whatever themed dungeon, with rooms to traverse/discover/fight in. "Beast-type" dungeons can still be in it, but throw in a few traditional ones too. Let me explore a mansion, a network of caves, a castle (like Hyrule Castle, which was great here).

-2D dungeon maps. The 3D model ones can still be there, but for me they were complicated to use. I would much rather look at a 2D map. For the beasts it was no biggie, but in the last castle that 3D map was a pain.

-Themed Shrines. Having a lot of shrines was great. but having a variety of them themed around the maps they are in would be great. And for god sakes, use some different enemies for combat shrines. Fighting the same guardian every time was boring.

-Upscaleable difficulty. It's great to be able to go anywhere on the world right from the start, but as you advance and increase your power, the enemies and weapons you find don't necessarily increase in accordance. I left Gerudo for last, and all the weapons I found there were inferior to weapons I found on previous maps. The enemies were all pretty much the same I've encountered before too. For the next game it would be great for areas you go to first be easier than areas you leave for last.
The game kind of does something like that in which it upgrades the enemies for all areas as you encounter them, but it still feels like it should be more pronounced.

-Better sidequests. Aside from the Shrine Quests, most of the sidequests were just insignificant tasks that didn't even give you a decent reward (save for the few ones that gave you armor). I understand some of these sidequests are supposed to teach you how to do stuff, as in, the reward is learning about something and not what the character gives you at the end of the quest. But still, as an experienced player, they feel really... lame.

-More story. I rarely play Zelda games for the story since most of the time is just the same Japanese fantasy stuff ('cept for LA/Majora), but it felt kinda of barren in this game. I liked how you needed to 'search' for the story, but it would have really helped if there were more sidequests that allowed you to explore the story of a town and its characters. The Tarrey town quest was long, and I feel it was the Anju/Kafei quest of this game, but it was only one. Have characters that have me set out to explore cemeteries, caves, lonely islands, dungeons, hell, even a library, with the purpose of having more story even if it's not related to the main game.

Played about 50 hours now and i can honestly say its one of the best games i have ever played.

I am a PC gamer predominantly, high end rig, gtx 1080 etc
Have a PS4 pro too.

Last Nintendo console i had was GC.

I saw a few vids of BOTW and it caught my attention as i love open world games.

I took a chance and got a Switch with BOTW....One of the best gaming decisions i have ever made.

Ive never played a Zelda game before, i feel i have missed so much if previous titles are like BOTW.

I had so much fun and i considered in my top 5 favourite games ever

Completed story and still have so much to do, looking forward to the DLC too.

Anteo

I just finished BotW after months of playing. I was kind of hoping the ending complaints were just people being picky, but man, it really is underwhelming this day in age.

I mean, it's fine I guess. It's as short as the Ocarina of Time ending, which wasn't that great either. But, well, it's not 1998 anymore, would it have killed them to show more? Like people rebuilding Castle Town or something. And don't get me started on the credits music. It started with a style similar to the credits music from A Link to the Past, and then it just started playing the town themes... ... ... ... ... -_-

It's still the best Zelda game for me, even if there are things I don't like or would like to be different.

For the next game I really hope for:
-Themed/traditional dungeons. I don't mean get map/compass/big key and an item that only works inside. I mean, a forest/lava/whatever themed dungeon, with rooms to traverse/discover/fight in. "Beast-type" dungeons can still be in it, but throw in a few traditional ones too. Let me explore a mansion, a network of caves, a castle (like Hyrule Castle, which was great here).

-2D dungeon maps. The 3D model ones can still be there, but for me they were complicated to use. I would much rather look at a 2D map. For the beasts it was no biggie, but in the last castle that 3D map was a pain.

-Themed Shrines. Having a lot of shrines was great. but having a variety of them themed around the maps they are in would be great. And for god sakes, use some different enemies for combat shrines. Fighting the same guardian every time was boring.

-Upscaleable difficulty. It's great to be able to go anywhere on the world right from the start, but as you advance and increase your power, the enemies and weapons you find don't necessarily increase in accordance. I left Gerudo for last, and all the weapons I found there were inferior to weapons I found on previous maps. The enemies were all pretty much the same I've encountered before too. For the next game it would be great for areas you go to first be easier than areas you leave for last.
The game kind of does something like that in which it upgrades the enemies for all areas as you encounter them, but it still feels like it should be more pronounced.

You say that, but some people were complaining about mid-late game enemies that 1hko link

ReyVGM

You say that, but some people were complaining about mid-late game enemies that 1hko link

Well, I guess they must be inexperienced players or people that only played the story path. Personally I found the game to be somewhat easy. The cooking system was intuitive and you don't really need a recipe book since the materials literally have their effects embedded in their names. Plus, the best meals are just cooking a bunch of meat, and if you add a hearty anything, it gives you extra hearts.
I also found the fairy fountains easily (since I explored everything), so my armor was never at a disadvantage. I never found myself lacking weapons or shields. The game gives you a lot of help too, specially with the champion powers.

I dunno, I guess playing so many Zelda games and RPGs has prevented me from ever being overwhelmed in these types of games.

Red

Played about 50 hours now and i can honestly say its one of the best games i have ever played.

Have a PS4 pro too.

I took a chance and got a Switch with BOTW....One of the best gaming decisions i have ever made.

Ive never played a Zelda game before, i feel i have missed so much if previous titles are like BOTW.

The others are all good to great action adventures, but nothing else in the series has the scale or ambition of BotW.

Have a PS4 pro too.

They are still great games but they are not like breath of the wild though, i think the closest would be wind waker where you can explore a lot of islands. I would recommend you watching some videos of the other games and see if they interest you, it's a great series.

This is going to sound weird...but, can someone give me a HINT at where the Hylian Shield is?

Already have the Master Sword...hell, I have the Wind Waker Hylian Shield from the Amiibo lol.

I'm 90+ hours into the game and don't want it right out spoiled where it is, but a gentle nudge in the right direction without saying exactly where it is would be neat. :)

bibs

This is going to sound weird...but, can someone give me a HINT at where the Hylian Shield is?

Already have the Master Sword...hell, I have the Wind Waker Hylian Shield from the Amiibo lol.

I'm 90+ hours into the game and don't want it right out spoiled where it is, but a gentle nudge in the right direction without saying exactly where it is would be neat. :)

Its somewhere in Hyrule Castle

Red

Oh, i meant with headphones, the volume without it is the same.
I haven't noticed a difference either way. I saw someone else mention a high volume warning, but I haven't seen one. On 3.0. Is there a hidden setting you have to toggle somewhere?

Assanova

I picked this up not expecting much, and this game is absolutely amazing. I don't know what it is, but this game has that magic that has been missing since the 16 bit era.

You'd think after 60hrs of gameplay I'd have a decent set of weapons, but nope, just got some real basic stuff that will break in a few hits!,

I haven't noticed a difference either way. I saw someone else mention a high volume warning, but I haven't seen one. On 3.0. Is there a hidden setting you have to toggle somewhere?

In the system settings there is an option called "Lower Max Headphone Volume". For the higher volume to work, it should be toggled on OFF. Try it.

piggychan

Something something
mine cart
thing...
DBcKeKYUwAAVBs6.jpg:large

mrkgoo

That would definitely explain why I haven't seen it yet! xD

Thanks!

Ha, thanks, I just got it!

By the way, what shield did you have before it that has a 70 rating? My Guardian Shield ++ is only 42. xD

There're a bunch of weapons and shields that are above the guardian weapons. The game doesn't a good job at scaling that stuff. Like I reached a point where I'd was throwing away guardian weapons because they weren't as good .... ;)

Chinbo37

Well i have decided to resort to a guide for the rest of the shrines.

Honestly I have been playing this game basically since it came out but I dont have a lot of time to play. Not sure exactly but I am probably around 100 hours. No guide at all so far.

I have 250 seeds and 88 shrines and I havent even explored 4 areas yet at all (no tower no nothing).

I guess I could get all the shrines without a guide but at this point its just a time decision. I want to play some other games and since my plaiyng time is limited I will use a guide for the rest of the shrines and probably give up finding seeds for now (maybe I will try again when the Korok mask is released).

piggychan

That would definitely explain why I haven't seen it yet! xD

Thanks!

Ha, thanks, I just got it!

By the way, what shield did you have before it that has a 70 rating? My Guardian Shield ++ is only 42. xD

I use Ancient Shield which auto deflects lasers back towards guardians

Macchiato

Just finished the game last night !

Honestly I wasn't really bothered with the ending (I feel like I'm the only one). Yeah, it was a bit minimalist/abrupt, but I felt it was very quaint and hit the right emotional notes, especially with the symbolism of the
Silent Princess flower
in the last scene, which I have my theory about.

I would obviously love MORE story, since I'm one of the few people that really enjoy Zelda stories and think they're well done for what they are, but I was happy with what we got.

Holy shit though, I was really surprised by how terrifying-looking
Calamity Ganon
was! He reminded me of
that bad sludge guy from Ferngully who gave me many nightmares as a child

Beautiful emotional game, and the best I've played. This just really hit a sweet spot, and I would love to see a direct sequel sometime in the future.

Now I wait patiently for DLC 2, and try to eventually finish my backlog.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
lol

"Finished" it, and yes it's defintely close to a perfect Zelda game, 10/10 and etc, but..

.. That ending was the very definition of an anti-climax

Really, really fantastic game otherwise and I'm sure I'll still spend looots of hours explorig and searching for shrines, but the final boss and end scenes were meh as hell. Come to think of it, this is not going to be a game I remember for bosses and dungeons at all, they really are a weak spot in the game.

But still

What a fucking game!!!

Anteo

lol

"Finished" it, and yes it's defintely close to a perfect Zelda game, 10/10 and etc, but..

.. That ending was the very definition of an anti-climax

Really, really fantastic game otherwise and I'm sure I'll still spend looots of hours explorig and searching for shrines, but the final boss and end scenes were meh as hell. Come to think of it, this is not going to be a game I remember for bosses and dungeons at all, they really are a weak spot in the game.

But still

What a fucking game!!!

BotW is both a masterpiece and a game that can still be improved in so many areas.

As a side note, im glad I was underpowered when I foight the first 2 bosses and ganon. Made those fights way more memorable, plus I got half of the boss rush on hyrule castle too.

I finally decided to take on Calamity Ganon yesterday and found the end incredibly disappointing which seems to be the majority opinion. Calamity Ganon gave me the heebie jeebies and was an entertaining battle but
the beast form
was a joke. There also should have been a
human form that spoke
. I also felt like the "true ending" was trying to say something but Zelda's ass being dead center in the screen for 6 seconds ruined whatever message it was trying to send unless the message was Zelda serves no purpose other than being nice to look at.

The ending doesn't bother me nearly as much as Xenoblade X's but it is concerning to me that Nintendo's ambitious open world games with an emphasis on exploration both ended with a fizzle rather than a bang. Hopefully this is not a trend.

There're a bunch of weapons and shields that are above the guardian weapons. The game doesn't a good job at scaling that stuff. Like I reached a point where I'd was throwing away guardian weapons because they weren't as good .... ;)

but dat Ancient Armor with its attack bonus for the full set :eek:

I bought the God damn DLC

DC7PdpiU0AEG0YE.jpg

Yeah! Now you're playing with Power! xD

For me, DLC was a day one purchase. It's freaking Zelda. I want anything extra they can possible give. Pack 1 may be sorta eh, but Pack 2 has the possibility of being amazing.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I was going to buy it eventually anyway, because as you said, it's freaking Zelda.

Did you take pictures of Ganon for the compendium? It gives you a tiny bit of explanation and context but it doesn't fix it. Also the Sheikah writing in the room you fight Ganon in is pretty interesting as well.

What's it say?

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Ganon was desperate to get his Ganondorf body back, that's why he has Ganondorf's head, Zelda didn't have enough power to hold him completely and Link woke up to soon, that's why Ganon looks like an abomination. Both Link and Ganondorf were in "restoration sleeps". Dark Beast Ganon is his last attempt at doing damage to the world since Link and Zelda have one upped him at everything.

They really should have figured out a way to get that into the main plot somehow, it'd really add a lot of thrust to the story if it came up at some point.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Also, the room you fight him in
Has "LABORATORY" written all over the walls in Sheikah and a mural of Hyrule with all the Divine Beasts in their respective cities.

That's definitely stuff they should have found a way to work into a legit side-quest or something.

I made a test with snowballs to see if they melt outside of a low temperature environment and they do. They work exactly like the ice cubes in the icehouse, where if you stay in the shade it won't melt.

Top Bottom